“Awesone!”

US$ 95.00*
and up
Group Surf Lessons at Macao Surf Camp - Punta Cana Surfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Three Jesus loving friends with more than 30 years of experience, got together to share their Stoke and all the benefits that Surfing gave them through their life; teaching kids from 4 to 76 years old to Surf, to respect the ocean and nature in general. We are in one of the most beautiful and undeveloped beaches of the Dominican Republic, on the Punta Cana area: Macao Beach, a localism free beach where everybody is welcome, with six different breaks and one of the safest beaches to learn how to surf, and yet exciting enough for experienced surfers. Literally making dreams come true, specially for those that dreamed all their life about riding waves, for those that want to make Surfing their main sports activity, and also for those that just want to get Surfing out of their "bucket list". Surf Shack with showers and lockers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The owner Rafael and hi team are very nice people! The service is excellent and the beach is just beautiful! I recommand this place to everyone.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

We have three older teens 15-18, all athletic and they enjoyed the surf camp tremendously! Great instruction on the beach and in the water. Beautful Beach. One on one instruction. My husband & three teens, had an amazing time. Great pictures & memories!! If you are going to Punta Cana with teens, this is a must do activity!! The staff is wonderful and very good with the details & communication before your trilp.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed at one of the resorts in Punta Cana last week (Majestic Elegance). Though the surf camp was not an excursion offered by or associated wih our tour operator (HotelBeds), our representative had their phone number and was happy to contact them for us and arrange for a pick-up. We were picked up at the doorstep of our resort in a comfy SUV and after picking up a Canadian mother and daughter at the resort next door, we took the short drive to Macao Beach. Started with some brief on-land instruction and stretching and then headed into the surf. There were four of us in the class that afternoon, and we each had our own assistant, who would watch for the right waves and then literally push us into them, to ensure we didn't miss them. I understand that timing your entry and catching the wave is tricky business, so I was grateful for the help with this part, which allowed me to focus on getting up on the board. With much assistance and outstanding instruction, we rode quite a few waves before taking a break on the beach. We went back out and rode just a few more before we all agreed we were exhausted and ready to call it a day. We bought a disc of photos that had been taken, and were impressed by the quality of the shots - definitely worth the $40 we paid for the c.d. of 192 photos. Though I don't think of myself as a "surfer type" - whatever that means - I did enjoy hanging out at the eclectic little shack out of which the camp operates, and particularly enjoyed hand-feeding some seeds out of my trail mix to the resident parrots. The view of the high cliffs over the rocky point on the south side of the beach is very nice, and the smooth, sandy beach is just dreamy. Would definitely do this camp again if the opportunity arose. Our lead instructor spoke impeccable English, which made everything that much easier. The boards were very nice (I have no idea what a high quality board looks like, but these were in excellent condition, anyway) and the rash guard shirts they provide were also great. Overall, a great service - not a single complaint.

2  Thank Stephanieincincy
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My boyfriend and I made reservations for the Macao Surf Club during our recent stay in Punta Cana. It was a great day and I’m so glad we did it. We were picked up by Daniel at our hotel around 8:30 the morning of our lesson and traveled to Macao Beach. It was fun to hear from a local a little more about the area and the surfing in D.R. We arrived at the camp and they gave us rash guards to wear and a safe place to keep our belongings. We had a short lesson on the beach with some stretching and then headed out to the water. Each person has their own surf instructor to guide them which is perfect for beginner surfers. I had never surfed before and had no experience in anything even similar to surfing. It wasn’t easy but I did get up and ride several times. They offered me a lot of pointers to help correct what I was doing wrong so I improved a lot throughout the morning. If we were in Punta Cana longer I may have booked another lesson during the week and I know I would have been much better on a second go around.

They take hundreds of pictures during the lesson and while you are surfing and the photos are amazing so be sure to bring an extra $40 to purchase the CD. These are my favorite photos from our entire vacation. It was a little chilly the day we surfed and rained a couple of times but we surfed through it. It’s much warmer in the water than on the beach anyway. You take a break in the middle of the lesson and they give you fresh coconut water and bananas which is really nice. I couldn’t believe how slowly the morning went. I could have sworn I was out there all day but we were done by noon…and I was ready. It’s quite tiring and I was pretty sore the next day. I highly recommend you book a massage at your resort for the next day!!

1  Thank laurad262
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We visited this past xmas with my family. We were with AirTransat and it wasn't offered as part of their list of activities. But my wife had heard about it when reading the tripadvisor reviews. So she researched, got the info, had the concierge @ our hotel call and book for us. I think the regular price was $7-80 pp but since we had 4 ppl, they lowered it to $65ish. Its totally worth it (assuming you've never surfed). They picked us up in the morning from our hotel @ 8ish. It was about a 20min drive. We arrived @ Macao Beach and pulled up to the small hut they work out of. The 1st thing we see are massive waves crashing onto the beach. Don't worry, the surfing is done down the beach where the waves are smaller waves and shallower waters. Now, none of us (my wife, and 2 brothers) are strong swimmers so we were kind of hesitant and nervous. But the guys here totally helped us out and gave us the basics to start off. We were there with maybe 10 other ppl and each person had their own assistant (mostly local kids from town) that would stick with you the whole morning and help you out. They give you about a 15-20min lesson, then its off to the ocean to surf. I got lucky and got up my 1st try and, man, what a great feeling! I was hooked and soon, so was everyone else in the group. The teachers there are extremely positive (ps. its mainly a christian group if that matters/affects you) and helpful. The one thing i'd highly recommend is you bring a tight dry-fit style shirt. If you don't have one, you get nipple burn from the surf board. They have some shirts there but if they don't fit, you're screwed. My 2 brothers were unfortunate to not have shirts that were tight enough, and they were sore by the end. When I mean tight, I mean, once its on, its hard to get off. Cuz with all the falling into the water and rubbing on the board, a loose shirt won't do. We surfed for maybe an hour and a half, then we had a break. They gave us fresh coconut juice and bananas, then we went back in for another hour/hour and a half. I think I could've stayed there all day. @ about 1ish, we finished up, walked back to the hut, dried up, and they drove us back to our hotel. We left a tip with them b4 we left and it was split between all the assistants.

During the whole day, they took lots of great photos of us, and you could buy all the photos. Again, totally worth it. We had some great pics of us falling and getting up on waves. I think it was $10-15 each for 1 big dvd of all of us. The guy dropped the dvd off @ our hotel a couple days later. They were very accommodating depending on when we were leaving.

So here are my tips based on our trip:
- definitely do this activity if you're in Punta Cana (or surrounding area)
- ask for Rafael and/or Arturo (both guys were great and super helpful)
- definitely buy the photos
- BRING a tight dry-fit/under armor shirt (esp if you're a guy)
- don't worry if you're a bad swimmer
- book earlier in your trip so its not an issue to get the photos