“A PIECE OF HEAVEN”

Ranked #30 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Oromocto, Canada
“A PIECE OF HEAVEN”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We just returned from our second trip to the Esmeralda -21 Feb to 27 Feb 2012. My wife and I were treated beyond well.This resort is remarkable. We asked for a poolview room which required a room change and was granted this request within 24 hours. They have a butler by the name of Ramon Diaz who will make you feel as though you have known him your entire life.Mr Diaz will do things without any requests such as having champagne set to your room as a surprise. The rooms are excellent. We are already planning next years return trip. Our room was in buildind 90 and was room 90011 was pool view and ocean view. No complaints on the service we received. The only minor complaints we heard were from people that we believe no one could please.This not a resort for the party hardy but if you want to relax and quiet this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Try for buildings 90 or 91.
10 Thank john d
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,520)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We spent an enjoyable vacation with family at the esmeralda.Had many problems with key,went to main desk many times too many times for my liking. I was there to rest not wait for someone to fix the key.We started in a room on the lower floor which wasn't to our liking as we travelled with teens and wanted rooms beside each other. I like to sit on patio and it backed onto a roadway that had trucks backing up at 5am beeping the whole time ..plus our patio door would not lock which made me uncomfortable because of the location of my room.The woman on the front desk was quite rude and we had to keep going back to front desk begging for a new room.I stayed a week and didn't unpack for 2 days.Food was not what I 'd expect from a 5 star The hotel and grounds were beautiful and weather is great but I would feel awkward recommending this hotel to friends. Huge communication problems.

Room Tip: 91215 views the pool and you can see the ocean
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank eikcaj772
High River, Canada
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We had a marvellous vacation at the Esmeralda. We particularly enjoyed the smaller size and quieter ambiance of the Esmeralda versus staying next door at the Punta Cana. The staff were eager to please, the food was good in all the restaurants and buffets and one could always find something to please the palate. I have to say the breads were outstanding! We particularly enjoyed the Japanese a la carte restaurant "Maiko" and I must say the Steakhouse was surprisingly good even though I had read bad reviews about it. We enjoyed the availability of premium liquors for the drinks although at the beach it was run of the mill local brands. Not much in the way of shopping though, as most of the stores in the little shopping area sold the same thing! The entertainment was generally enjoyable, albeit somewhat on an amateur level, with the exception of the Michael Jackson Show and the Cirque du Soleil, which were both outstanding. The shuttle bus system between the resorts worked quite well. Only negative I would have would be the staff needs to have a better fluency of English, especially at the front desk. It wasn't a problem for us, but sometimes it was a bit of a guessing game when you ordered a drink, as to what you would actually get. The beach area was outstanding and we spent most of our time there rather than at the pool area. Of course everyone seems to play the "beach towel on the lounge chair" game to reserve, and that was frustrating. We did have some seaweed appear for a couple of days near the end of our holiday, and although we saw staff raking it up, they never actually cleaned it up so then it started to smell. But one could always sit further back from the beach and then it wasn't a problem. We would definitely go back to the Esmeralda again.

Room Tip: Rooms in Block 92 are quiet but handy to all everything, only a five minute walk to the beach. We...
9 Thank Joan V
Toronto
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is a great hotel on a wonderful stretch of beach.

Accommodations are bright, new ,large, clean and comfortable. No musty smell so common in the Caribbean. Rooms are also very quiet. Large bathrooms with separate toilet and separate bath and shower. Quiet air conditioner that works well.
Stocked fridge in room and also snacks and coffee machine.....all included in room rate.
Lots of area to lounge around and read a book or just have a drink and relax.

Friendly helpful staff.

Great beach with comfortable chairs reserved for Esmarelda guests.Great pool.

Downside: Food is OK. Plenty of it and lots to choose from but not great.

Only 2 Hoby Cats to sail in a hotel with hundreds of guests. Had to reesrve boats a day in advance and only one hour available daily. The Iberostar next door has 10 Hoby Cats to sail.

All in all this is a great hotel and I would return

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Tokalosh
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I (both in our 30’s) travelled to the Esmeralda Feb 2012. I read many reviews before we travel, so I felt it was only fair for me to post my thoughts!!

We have been to many all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, including Mexico, Cuba, Bahamas, DR etc. This was our second time at the GPB in Punta Cana, we stayed at the Punta Cana resort last time. Overall it was a great vacation, VERY relaxing! I would definitely recommend upgrading to the Esmeralda, or the Ambar - the other GBP resorts are just too big and busy and really starting to age!

CHECK-IN: We arrived late at night, around 12:00am. The guy at the front desk stayed on the phone for 10 minutes before he acknowledged us, but then he quickly gave us our room keys and sent us on our way. Our keys stopped working 3 times during our stay and we had to go back to the reception desk to have them re-programmed. Not a big deal, as everything is so close.

ROOMS: Beautiful and very CLEAN! The rooms are spacious with a sitting area, balcony, Jacuzzi, stand-up shower, iron, small table-top ironing board (which I left out the whole trip on the desk – worked well for us!), bathrobes, slippers, hair-dryer and a safe (free and easy, “safe” to use!) We emailed the resort ahead of time and requested a room on the 3rd floor in building 90 - they wrote back to say they could not guarantee a room but when we arrived, that’s what we got! Tip: bring some colored face cloths. For some reason this resort lacks face cloths, we only got 2 the whole stay. The fridge was stocked daily, even with some munchies! We had a garden, partial ocean view - really enjoyed relaxing on our balcony in the evenings with a beverage before getting ready for dinner and a show! And for the record, we didn’t see any bugs! :)

FOOD: I find buffets at all-inclusive resorts to be pretty much the same everywhere. You are in the Caribbean, so don't expect the same as you would in Canada or the US. You won't go hungry, there is something for everyone! We found the food at the indoor buffet to be better than the open air buffet and there was a better selection. You really should email the resort ahead of time to book the La Carte restaurants or you may find yourself eating late at night. We ate at the Japanese 9:45 one night because that’s all that was available. Also, we ordered room service one night, but unfortunately it never showed up. We feel asleep, so we didn’t bother to complain - just didn’t try to order it anymore.

DRINKS: The drinks I usually enjoy are Pinacoladas and Miami Vice’s, I found them way too sweet here or they always add too much alcohol which makes it even worse. My advice if you want alcohol - just ask for ‘little’, instead of just saying ‘yes’ – makes for a better drink! I’d also suggest bringing a small travel mug; helps keep beverages cold on hot days, unlike the small plastic cups they use. I liked to keep mine filled with ice water, they would fill my mug with ice at the bar, and I took the water bottles from the room.

POOLS: Very clean, quiet atmosphere. People with children tended to stay to one side of the pool and adults at the other. We found the water to be a little cool, but then again the weather wasn't the greatest while we were there. If it was a hot day, the pool was very refreshing! This is where we spent most of our time. There isn't any entertainment staff at this resort, if you want loud music and pool activities you'll have to go to the Punta Cana/Party pool which is literally only a 3 min walk from the Esmeralda pool. Like I said this is a very quiet area but there is an adult-only Jacuzzi area which is even quieter - we didn't spend any time there. Unfortunately, the towel game is played at this resort, so rise by 7am if you want an area with shade. Towels are easy to exchange and as often as you want!

BEACH: You’re in Punta Cana so the beach is beautiful, and very busy! We found it too windy during our stay to hang out at the beach, so we opted for the pool most days. The beach is beautiful to walk, you could walk for hours, and we did! Again, rise early if you want a good hut. There are a lot of huts so finding a spot isn’t that hard.
All in all, this was resort is beautiful and very relaxing! If you like to read, stay here! If you like a more up-beat atmosphere I’d suggest the Ambar- It’s not too busy, but at least they have music! I don’t think I’ll stay here again, only because there are other places I’d like to visit!
Have a great trip!!

Room Tip: Ask for above ground room, building 90 or 91... however everything is close so the builing wouldn...
11 Thank Beach_Bum1578