“The GBP Esmeralda was incredible! Will go back.”

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #35 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I stayed with my girlfriend and friend at the Esmeralda from June 10th - 17th and we had an amazing time. This was my 6th all inclusive resort vacation and my 1st in the Dominican. This was by far the highest quality resort I've stayed at with only the Iberostar Varadero in Cuba (#1 for Varadero on here), where i stayed a few years ago, being a close second. Most resorts I've been to claim to be 5 star resorts and they aren't, but this is one of the few that actually lives up to that rating. This resort is beautiful, huge, and there's something for everybody whether you're a married couple with your children or a young group of friends looking to meet people and have a good time.

Arrival/Check in
After a 30-40 minute ride from the Airport, we were dropped off at the Punta Cana Lobby by our bus then picked up by a trolley to be taken to the Esmeralda within a few minutes. Upon arrival at the Esmeralda, we had the smoothest and easiest check in ever. Every resort I’ve ever been to in the past makes you stand in line to check in, sometimes serving you a drink in line, not here. Here, they made us leave our luggage at the reception, brought and sat us at the lobby bar so they could serve us drinks while they took care of our check ins 1 by 1. Once we filled the necessary papers and got our room cards, they had a bell boy show us to our room. We were changed into our swim wear and on the beach within an hour or so of being dropped off at the Punta Cana lobby. Very laid back, quick, and headache free check in.

Rooms
Best room I’ve ever had had at a resort. We were put in building 90 as we asked previously, thanks to tips here. (Our friend wasn't however and was placed in 93; he was moved to 91 a couple days later thanks to the very helpful reception staff). The room was spotless and our bed was decorated with balloons which was a nice touch. The bathroom is huge with a Jacuzzi tub, standup shower and 2 sinks. Robes and slippers were in the closets. Lots of closet and drawer space. Contrary to what I read prior to going, using the in room digital safe was free. Fridge was restocked with water and booze daily and the maids kept the place spotless. AC is so good it can get too cold if cranked.
Random warning : One day my gf opened a full bottle of water from the fridge which didn't appear to be sealed, I’m sure I didn’t open it, and she's sure she didn't. Whether we forgot we opened it, which is possible, or it really was unsealed, just be careful.

Pool & Beach
The Pool at the Esmeralda is fairly big but very quiet and mostly attended by families and kids, but don't let that scare you away if you're looking to party. There's a smaller "adult only" Jacuzzi pool on the grounds, and as a guest at the Esmeralda, you can walk 2-5 minutes to the "Main Pool" which is HUGE or the also large Ambar Pool, both of which are much busier with a more mature party crowd. You really do get the best of both worlds here as you can quietly relax at the Esmeralda when you want, or go party it up at the other pools. There are other pools around the massive GBP grounds but we never found a need to go to them.
The beach was steps from building 90 and the pool and just beautiful. The same principle applies as the Pools. The Esmeralda stretch of the beach is laid back and quiet and as you walk towards the Ambar, you find bigger crowds of people having a good time.
While busy, there was never a shortage of recliners at the Pool or Beach, however it can be tough to find one in the shade, so either lotion up well and often or go early if you're scared of getting sun burn.

Food/Bar
Considering what you pay to go here, the food at this resort is nothing short of amazing. The buffet has a very decent selection but what really makes this resort great is you get a 3 course a la carte dinner every night unlike most resorts that give you at most 3. You only need to eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. There are 14 restaurants, so unless you stay for 2 weeks, you unfortunately won't get to try them all. The La Gourmet one was incredible and I highly recommend you book that as one of your choices. The Steakhouse and Japanese were great too. A 3 course meal like the ones provided in these restaurants in Toronto would probably cost at least $60 per person, if not more. See pictures attached to this review for what you can expect.
Room service was also available free of charge (we of course tipped) 24 hours. The menu isn't amazing, but it’s not bad either. A snack bar is always open as well including the one at the main pool which is pretty busy even at 3AM after the club closes. You'll find burgers, fries, wings, hotdogs and such at the snack bars.
The drink situation was more or less the same as any resort. Ask for a drink and they'll make it. The only thing they didn't have that i wanted was cranberry, but there was such an abundance of other drink choices it didn’t matter. Liquor, wine, champagne, beer, pop, coffee, etc., they have it all for the most part.

Entertainment & Nightlife
There are shows every night at the Tropicana theater and the Peublo Principe plaza square, but they're the same old song and dance, Mr./Mrs./Couples contest shows from every other resort I’ve ever been to. The live bands were cool and if this is your first time at an all-inclusive resort, you will love the shows; otherwise it’s the same old thing you've seen before and gets boring fast.
There's a little Casino you can blow your money at, although for some reason they expect you to buy drinks in there. There's a pretty busy Karaoke bar that serves drinks and shows sporting events. The night club opens from Midnight-2am and was hit and miss. The DJ's tend to play the same loop of songs every night, rarely ever mixing it up. We had a few great nights there and a few lame ones. It is what you make of it with the people you’re with so YMMV. We heard about an off resort club called "Mangu" (sp?) that was apparently really good but it was $35 cover with 2 drinks and we didn't really care to go as we were having a great time on the resort with the people we met.
4/5

Staff
The staff at this resort seems to just be there to do their job and go home, and for the most part they do their job well even if they come off as a little cold at times. Unlike other resorts I've been to, they don't really go out of their way to be extra nice or get to know you. I think this is the first vacation I’ve been on where I didn’t learn the names or get somewhat acquainted with at least a couple staff members. They do an adequate job and I didn't have any problems with any to mention here.
3.5/5

Cons
This is just nitpicking here and these had no real impact on our overall great experience
- The resort is HUGE. Staying at the Esmeralda near the beach means you need to take a trolley to go to where things are happening at night. The trolley can be slow at times and if you forget something at your room, you're looking at anywhere from 20-40 minutes to get back to your room then back to the plaza depending on how the trolley is running. You need to factor this in if you have a dinner booked at a restraint away from the Esmeralda.
- The Pools can get ridiculously warm, literally bathwater warm. I don’t know if it's the Sun doing it or the maintenance, but I’ve never been in pools that warm in my life. It’s not bad by any means, but can feel a little weird when it already feels like 30-40 degrees outside.
- Some restaurants require jeans or as they call it "trousers" in the dress code. I don’t have a problem dressing up, but at this time of year, it’s so hot and humid that it’s beyond uncomfortable to wear jeans all night. We had to go back to our room to change after a couple dinners so we could party comfortably for the rest of the night.
- Ruthless mosquitoes at night. Bring "Off" and use it. They bite even with repellent on, if you're wearing none, you get eaten alive.
- We ran into a couple wearing wristbands from another part of the GBP the small adult pool at the Esmeralda. We're pretty laid back and didn't care since we were using everything else at the other resorts too, but if it starts to get busy, you may want to look out for this.

Overall - 4.5/5
Amazing resort, beach, weather and food. The staff could be a little friendlier and the nightlife could be a bit better, but it was still an overall great time. We met lots of fun people and had an excellent relaxing vacation. Out of 6 resorts I’ve been to in the Caribbean, this is easily my #1 pick for a return visit. We're probably going back next year for a wedding, I look forward to going back and would go back wedding or not. If you're up in the air about booking here, just do it. You'll get what you paid for and then some. I hope this review was helpful.

Ciao Ciao Ciao, Bye Bye Bye - Once you go to the GBP, you’ll get it :)

ReeG
Twitter - @TheRealReeG

Room Tip: Ask for building 90 early. It was full all week.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
18  Thank ReeG80P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

My girlfriend and I have just returned from another fabulous break in the Dominican Republic, this time at the Gran Bahia Principe Esmeralda. We visit the Dominican Republic annually in June and have previously stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana, Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, and Gran Bahia Principe Ambar. For background information we are in our early 30's and travel several times per year.

We selected this hotel for 2 reasons. Firstly we stayed at the sister hotel (Ambar) the previous year and loved it, so to some extent we knew what to expect. Secondly, we were able to book this break for just less than £1,000 person (for 2 weeks), which made it a complete no brainer, as we had seen the hotel and knew that it was head and shoulders above any other hotel in Punta Cana at that price (or within £400 of that price).

When we travel we are very nosey and often sneak into nearby hotels to see if there is anywhere else we like for the following year. We have come up with a rating system for the hotels, which is based on a score of 1 – 5 with 1 being very cheap and cheerful and 5 being opulent and sophisticated. Overall we decided that this hotel was a grade 4 (with the only grade 5 hotels in this area being Iberostar Grand, Paradisus Palma Real, Zoetry Agua and Secrets Cap Cana, however all of these hotels are more than 2 x as expensive as what we paid for this trip.

The Hotel

Esmeralda is a small hotel in a cluster of 4 Gran Bahia hotels. It was opened 12 months ago and is immaculate inside and out. The design of the building is absolutely beautiful and far more so than any of the hotels we have stayed in previously. It is a children friendly hotel, but in June we never found that to be a problem as the majority of guests were adult couples and the pool still had a very relaxing and sophisticated atmosphere. The only difference with this hotel was that the music/entertainment was low key at night so as not to disturb children who had gone to bed early. This did not matter as it was possible to have drinks and more upbeat entertainment in each of the other 3 hotels or in the Pueblo Principe (communal area).

The Rooms

The rooms are exactly as you see them in the brochure or on the internet. It is an all suite hotel, and rooms are fitted with a spacious bathroom including a Jacuzzi bath, flat screen TV and 4 poster bed. Included in the price is a butler service (for turndown, scented pillows and romantic baths with rose petals etc.). Our butler was fantastic and no job was too much trouble. There is also complimentary room service 24 hours per day.

We stayed in Block 90 which in our opinion was the best of the 4 blocks as it was right on the beach and offered a lovely view of the pool. As returning guests they gave us a wonderful surprise with a bottle of rum, fruit and t-shirts in a gift bag with ribbons as well as pre made reservations to 8 restaurants for our convenience.

The Food

The food is always a subject of contention on Trip Advisor. Some people live their lives to complain (we met some on this trip) and obviously feel that if they do not find the exact foods which they eat at home, cooked exactly as their mother used to make it then the food is terrible! We are foodies and I take a serious interest in cooking back home. Neither of us had any major complaints about the food in any of the restaurants.

The greater complex offered approximately 11 restaurants, which as an Esmeralda guest you have unlimited access to. I will say that the 4 gourmet restaurants in the Esmeralda and Ambar hotels were better by a considerable margin and if I were to return I would remain within these complexes and not eat at the communal restaurants or buffet in the 2 cheaper hotels (with the exception of the Japanese Tepanyaki table which was very good and well liked by even the fussiest of eaters). There were also several reports of stomach upsets after eating in the communal restaurants. The menus were extensive enough in the other restaurants to avoid these altogether so I would not see this as a reason to criticise the Esmeralda hotel.

Don Pablo was our favourite and I would actually say that I would pay to go to this restaurant if it were in my home town. Here you can eat fillet steak and lobster until it comes out of your ears and it is cooked to perfection. It was so good that on a couple of occasions I ordered 2 main courses.

The Esmeralda buffet was also very good and was themed nightly (i.e. American Night, Dominican Night, Oriental Night etc.).

On the whole all of the food was tasty and some was exceptional. Menus are designed to account for the tastes of all nations and all age groups. If you have exceptionally high standards and are looking for Michelin Star quality food then perhaps this may not be the resort for you, but I can assure you it will take a considerable amount more money to find those standards in the Caribbean.

The Staff

One of the key things which has brought us back to the Dominican Republic time and time again is the warm and welcoming manner of the Dominicans. I have travelled the world and have been to many locations but I have never been welcomed with such sincerity as I am when I return to the Dominican Republic. At first it is easy to be sceptical and to say that they are just tip fishing, but we are not big tippers and this has never lead them to treat us any different. All they ask for is a smile and some respect in return and they will make you feel like you are the very most important guests in the resort. I speak a small amount of Spanish, which helps in the first instance, but all of the customer facing employees are trained in English (and usually French, Russian and German too) so it is very easy to communicate.

When we came to leave the hotel, my girlfriend had a tear in her eye and we were hugged by at least 7 members of staff, from the room cleaner to the diving instructor. I will give a special mention to Divemaster Domingo, who was a real credit to the hotel and a real character around the main pool during the day. I would love to mention them all but I would be here all day.

There are some on this site who may suggest otherwise but this leaves me to be highly sceptical about their own conduct. We saw some in the hotel who were embarrassingly rude to the locals and naturally in return they did not get the hand of friendship or the outstanding service which others got.

The Beach

Out of all of the Gran Bahia hotels in this cluster, the beach here is the best. Residents of the Esmeralda have access to a private beach with upgraded sun chairs and new sun shades. They also have a private water sports centre with the newest boats and water sports equipment. Finally unlike the other hotels, all Esmeralda rooms are within a 2 minute walk of the beach which is very convenient (when compared to the main hotel, where the rooms can be more than a 10 min walk on a very hot pathway!).

Summary

Esmeralda guests have the best of all worlds, with brand new facilities, a relaxing spacious pool, the best food on the complex with unlimited dinner reservations and access to the other hotels facilities for variety and for more lively entertainment. It has a sophisticated feel about it which is way beyond its price tag and if you do not want to pay the £2,000 plus which is required for the 4 most expensive hotels in the area, you can bag this hotel for a mere £1,000 to £1,300 (depending on when travelling) and level of service and quality which is not too different. Furthermore this hotel offers a beauty which I have not seen matched in any other Dominican hotel at any price. It has to be seen to be believed as photos do it no justice.

Finally if you are considering this hotel alongside the Ambar, I would say that both offer a very high standard and both offer the same cuisine with the all hotel pass, but this hotel edges it with the better beach, better pool and in my opinion the very best staff! Presently you can pick it up for quite a bit less cash too so it is a no brainer. And if you are thinking about saving the extra £200 per person and staying at the Bavaro or the Punta Cana, let me stop you from making a huge mistake as there is no comparison what so ever and you will spend the whole time kicking yourself! In comparison to the other hotels which we have stayed at, I would take this over the Majestic Colonial every day of the week as there is no comparison in terms of beauty or quality and feel that it is 50/50 with the much more expensive Excellence hotel – although that could be a tougher decision. The Esmeralda would win on the beach, the rooms, variety of evening entertainment within the group and the beauty of the Esmeralda complex, but the Excellence would have the edge with sheer class and sophistication, variety of food and the little unexpected touches which you only find in the world's premier hotels, but then the excellence is 50% more expensive.

Out of interest, next year we intend to stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Leventado, which is Gran Bahia’s Flagship hotel in the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
47  Thank manxnutterontour
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Arrived early and they had my room ready, very classy hotel, luxury all around, beautiful rooms, jacuzzi, and very friendly staff. The food was excellent at the Esmeralda. The hotel is next to the beach. But if you have kids you may want to consider another location, besides the pool and beach, there is really not much for them to do. No basketball courts or tennis courts, no game room, etc. My kids after the 3rd day of pool and beach were getting bored. Highly recommend that the hotel have ammenities for the kids. Also, the lobby at night, not much to do, no live music, you have to go all the way to the Punta Cana hotel to have some fun. I will highly recommend this hotel for their services, cleaniless, first class restaurants, location nad most of all the very friendly staff. We loved it and will return for next year. We traveled from Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Luis-Wichy
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Brief summary:

Stay at the esmerelda, not the punta cana or bavaro, they are different levels. We stayed in Esmerelda, ate fillet steak and lobster nearly every night. Good range of international drinks, room service and turndown service as standard, unlimited restaurant bookings (Don Pablo and Japanese are amazing!). Don't eat at Le Gourmet or El Pescador. Esmerelda guests can use any bar in hotel (inc. Ambar hotel), and any buffet. Great beach, atlantic/ carribean cross over so don't expect perfect still sea. DO NOT GO ON SAONA ISLAND TRIP, it is a big dissapointment, we spoke to 8 groups, all were unhappy with price of trip/ quality of beach.

My partner and I (both aged 21) visited the Esmerelda hotel for 2 weeks in June. We had read the reviews on trip advisor before going so expected a good hotel, but our expectations were exceeded. Having stayed at plently of all inclusive 5-star resorts from Egypt to Jamaica we know standards can vary.

Food - The food in the buffet is generally standard food, with the exception of the gourmet corner which has individual starters, and the desserts are individual as well, with fantastic chocolate decorations in each. The food in the a la carte resaurants varies; the Don Pablo and the Japanese are amazing. We ordered fillet steak (which is all inclusive!) and they brought an entire fillet of cow out and carved it infront of us, there was only 3 of us for the entire fillet. Don pablo 'famous carribean lobster' is brilliant, it is an entire lobster, shelled and read to eat. Ask for the flambe bannana which isn't on the menu but is fantastic. I have eaten in many fine restaurants including Gordon Ramsey's royal hospital road, and can honestly say the steak I had there is the best I ever had, cooked rare as I ordered it. Japanese they cook the food in front of you and is good fun, the prawns are outstanding and the amount of food is unbelievable. We went to each of these restaurants twice.

Other restaurants are standard, void el pescadaur and la gourmet, the worst two meal I have eaten at a 'restaurant'. Do try oriental night in the buffet, and gala night, where caviar, cava and prawn cocktails go side by side with (more) steak.

The pool is quiet, but there is some caribbean music playing, great in the first week, annnoying in second week! Service in esmerelda is second to none, fast and efficient but when it got busy standards slipped a little. Ramon the butler is the true gem of the hotel though. He knows everyones room number without meeting you, will run you baths with petals and candles, sprays room with camomile scent and will have your scented specialist pillows ready when you get back from the bars.

Drinks are good quality alcohol- beefeater gin (& 2 other london gins), jim beam whiskey, spanish cava, smirnoff and eristoff vodka, martini and bacardi gold rum are all included, along with lots of other drinks. Cocktails are not too strong and served with fresh fruit in a proper cocktail glass.

Staff do speak very good english, and are much more polite and kind than jamaican staff. Rooms are large and clean and the jacuzzi bath is fantastic.

You can use any buffet restaurant or pool in 4 hotels, but other hotels can't come into yours. We were offered timeshare but said no and were left alone.

Overall the best hotel we e been to, we ate lobster and steak most nights, food is well presented and served by kind waiters. Rooms are very nice, room service and turn down service are nice extras, champagne breakfast as standard and good international branded drinks. The house wines (red, white, rose) are all very drinkable, which is a first for me in an all inclusive, and the cava is beutiful. I would thoroughly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: pool view rooms in block 90-92 get weak Wi-Fi
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank leadyb
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My husband and I went to Gran Bahia Principe Esmeralda and all our expectations were exceeded. We were using a friends timeshare and ended up bying one for ourselves. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were taken to a private check in area for members only where we served champagne and lead to our beautiful and well appointed junior suite, with all the amenities and perks we could possible think of. Our concierge took care of all the a la carte restaurants for us and really made us feel important. The food in all the restaurants we ate were delicious. The staff went over the board to please us and make us feel at home. At the end of our stay we were calling everyone by names. It would take me forever to mention all the things that made this vacation so enjoyable but I would only say Esmeralda hotel is worth every penny you spend! Now, being members, we will go back as much as we can and we know it will feel like coming home.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple