“Good price but very mediocre. Read on...”

Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa
Ranked #79 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 22 June 2012

First and foremost let me say this to the resort's defense: The price I got was unbelievably good. So that said, we get what we pay for. However, I feel it unfair to assume that other people would get similar pricing year round all the time so this review is objective and straightforward, regardless of price. FYI I took advantage of a "solo traveler" special, that and the "down" season came out to a nice price. Quick word of warning-Punta Cana is very hot and very humid 95% of the time, and this resort is ALL open-air, except the rooms. So if you have problems with the heat, then you may have a very hard and frustrating time here.

I thought I was getting off on the right foot initially be emailing the Manager of the hotel to introduce myself and request early on that if possible, I would like to have an Ocean view room off the first floor with one king bed. She responded accordingly but I got none of the above. That disappointed me as it almost seemed--dare I say...spiteful. But moving right along.

CHECK-IN
Relatively painless, but I think a resort, ANY resort that charges $24 to borrow a key and lock for your room safe is absolute insanity! That alone put a bad taste in my mouth. Also, be sure to tell the person checking you in very sternly that you have no interest in Timeshares. You'll be glad you did. About the front desk staff in general, I never had any issues personally except one small thing with the phone which was attended to urgently. I later discovered it was because they expected me to be paying for calls on it. Other guests I met had stories of "no responses" from the front desk except for verbal when it came to any issues. i.e. a couple with a 1.5 year old who were never given a crib after requesting one 7 times.

ROOM
Nice size, but a bit dated and tired in some areas. The wall switches are set up very strangely. You'll understand. The beds are hard with lumpy pillows. If you keep the ceiling fan at the highest speed and AC at its coldest then the room will remain relatively comfortable. Be sure to write a note (in a nice way, of course) to your housekeeping rep. not to touch the fan or a/c during your stay. Also, tipping housekeeping a few bucks a day is a good move. They keep the rooms very clean and that is a plus. Don't forget to use your doorknob hanger! They don't knock! I met a honeymoon couple who were intruded upon while in the midst of mutual pleasures. Be careful in the shower as well. It is slippery and small and one wrong pivot of the foot can send you sprawling. I know, believe me, and my room 1109 has a brand new shower curtain to prove it.

GROUNDS
Beautiful. The best part of the resort easy. Like a lush tropical jungle complete with flowers and plants the likes of which we do not see in America. The vegetation is accompanied by pretty little ponds and bridges throughout and the best part, beautiful exotic birds and ducks, flamingos, swans, fish and even a peacock that roam around the grounds. Not only can you feed them, but they are very harmless and very cute. Just hangin' out. The management clearly takes pride in this aspect of the resort, and rightly so.

POOL
A decent size and a cool bar, as it is out of the sun and hides behind a curtain of water. However, it needs a face lift badly. There are missing tiles and it is clearly not cleaned thoroughly enough. A few times I had the heebie jeebies at certain moments for no particular good reason.

FOOD & DRINK
The coffee is great. The buffet food, which is where you will be eating almost all of your meals, is decent. Not much more than that. It is, however, very repetitive. You will be served the same things in the same places over and over again. I ate at two of the a la carte restaurants. The ambience is nice and they do try. That said, food wise, the seafood was so-so at best and the steak place was "not bad". That's about the best I can say. Points to note: Omelet station, fresh fruit juice bar, and spicy red sausages for breakfast are great. The chicken is pretty good but a bit dry. I can never tell when anything was freshly made because it all gets recycled. Also, a strong comment: The beef at the buffet or snack bar in any form, but especially hamburger, do not taste the same as in the states and is much different than the beef in the steakhouse, which tastes fine. Take that as you will.

As for the drinks: They use a brand called "Royal" for everything and it is complete garbage. The drinks in general are very sweet and they have a real issue with using a proper amount of ice. Often times I literally got only one or two cubes for a drink. Ask for doubles or not too sweet and it will be almost palatable. The house red wine is barely drinkable but the white is pure turpentine. Go ahead and taste it, you'll see. Bartenders remember you if you tip them and Iris in the pool bar was easily the friendliest and nicest one in the whole joint.

SHOWS
Entertainers with limited talent running around onstage in scorching heat under flashing lights, doing the same dances over and over again, while lip syncing to popular American songs through the continuous loud and irritating ramblings of the M.C. who is obsessed with his own voice and the art of forcing people to clap and cheer. Rinse, spin the clock, repeat.

BEACH
It's gorgeous, no doubt. Sugar fine sand with very few, if any, "rough spots". There are PLENTY of lounge chairs so I don't understand the complaints, unless they are talking about the chairs situated under the grass tree-like huts, but who cares? I don't. Try walking to the left along the shoreline. It is very serene and I thought it gave a nice hint to what it might feel like to really be on a deserted island. Plus you can swim all you want by yourself. Word of warning on the beach: don;t even think about going past the ropes. The party boats are constantly showing themselves off and will run right over you and not look back in a heartbeat. Also, the natural tranquility of the beach is often interrupted by relentless men yelling "Cigars" over and over again, or coming up to you with cheap jewelry or even excursion sales. This is an overall major issue which I will get into in more detail in a bit, but one that has become a major factor in my never returning again to the Dominican Republic, much less this resort. On that note, regarding the "free" non-motorized water activities: I asked to go for a ride on the Hobie Cat, which I have done before at other resorts with no problem. The staff member working the beach hut insisted that I am not allowed to go until I take a 30 minute lesson...for $30, even if I were to go with a guide. I found this to be a truly preposterous bait-and-switch tactic and I was so put off by it that I just turned my back on the guy and walked away while he was still trying to pitch me.

ACTIVITIES
There are very few and overall, just not much to "do" on this resort. Not without paying a hefty price which brings me to the point of excursions. I wanted to do one and upon asking, was quoted a ridiculous price by the staff from the lobby. Then shortly after I was pitched again by the guy working the towel shack who said he could it for "much cheaper". He then went on to tell me that those people by the front desk worked for a corporation and hence had corporate pricing. Then the next day I relayed that info to the corporate people who said in turn that those guys were Independent Contractors and were not regulated, so it was a gamble. All the back and forth just turned me off to the whole charade so I just wound up putting the X on the whole idea and, for the first time ever, I went a whole vacation without doing any excursions.

PEOPLE
A mixed bag. Most of the staff is friendly with a few thrown in, like anywhere, who wear the old "I hate this G.D. job" demeanor. I found the guests to be mainly comprised of French, Canadian, American and Russian. Some guests are very nice and some are downright nasty. I found this to be particularly true of the Russians and Americans, sadly, as I myself am American. At the Seafood place one night, there was one family who insisted on letting their kids (who were more than old enough to be able to sit and behave themselves normally) watch a loud, screechy and irritating kid's movie on a laptop right at the table! The staff ignored it and I can tell it annoyed other guests.

Overall, it is very difficult to ever walk from Point A to B without having somebody harass you about buying something. It can become very irritating. Sometimes people just want to be left alone, including myself. Officially I would give it 2.5 stars but it gets the extra half (rounded up) for the atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Ridethewind95

Dear Guest:

Thank you for the very complimentary report about your recent stay in our resort. I would like to emphasize that all room request are subject to availability, we never assure a preference room however all request are noted in our system. Your comments are appreciated and they are very useful to continue to improvement. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences with the water sports representative.

Cordially,

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa

Reviewed 21 June 2012

It's an average hotel, nothing special. When we arrived, the room we were provided did not have functioning aircon or electricity, we called the repairmen who proceeded to dismantle all kinds of things from the celieing, cutting wires and so on.
As it was taking a while, we asked to change rooms as we did not feel like waiting around for the repairs which should be done BEFORE the customers arrive, to be done.
the change was easilly made and they were accomodating.
it's NOT a luxury hotel by any mean, but it is a good place if you're looking for a clean place.
There is not privacy in the bathroom due to the sliding doors but who cares if you're amongst family or close friends ;)
the beach is nice, lots of seaweed on the shore (some people mind that) and not enough umbrellas for shade, so unless you reserve your spot early in the morning, you will either have to settle for the sun or follow the palm trees' shade (which is what we did most of the time, and that was just fine!)
there are vendors on the beach but they don't hassle you, so once u've said no, they are not persistent which is great. of course you have background noise of them shouting "cigar cigar! who wants cigars!"...but it did not bother us.
Food: recycled food, u can tell that today's chorizo is yesterday and before yesterda's chorizo. sometimes u recognize a salad as a mix of yesterday's cheese and corn salad mixed with the leftovers from the bean salad (you know the type). having said that, you will not starve..
Staff: nice, friendly and helpful for the most part
overall, i say good...we enjoyed our vacation very much because it is what we expected

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Camser

Dear Guest:

I am grateful for your comments to write on Trip Advisor. Also it is great to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us and that our staffs were friendly. I would like to offer you my apologies for any discontent with the vendors at the beach. Our beach is lovely and we try every day to keep cleaning the seaweed produced by natural meteorological conditions in this zone. I will forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here June 9th-16th with my sister. We were very impressed with how beautiful and well maintained the grounds were. Initially, the food also seemed good (a lot better than similarily rated hotels in Cuba), but lacked variety over the week... The a la carte restaurants' food wasn't the greatest ( I tried the Italian and steakhouse) - I preferred the buffet.

The beach was beautiful, but like others had stated, even if you got there at 8am in the morning, all the lounge chairs were taken by towels.

My biggest complaint about this resort is the people selling excursions on the resort grounds. On our way to breakfast (and coffee, dinner, to the lobby, etc) we had to pass these men who had paid the resort to stand there and harass guests to try to sell their trips. It was too much to deal with.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alicia N

Dear Guest:

It is always nice to know when our resort has been satisfactory. Also I am very glad to hear about our great and well maintained grounds. I regret any inconveniences that you have had with excursions representatives. I will take measures to improve it. Thank you to choose our resort and hope you come back some day in the future.

Cordially,

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We had a great time at Natura Park. The Resort has a wonderful beach with a Spa Cabana for massages, a Bar and Restaurant for lunch. A large pool area with a wet pool bar and very friendly and attentive staff like Jorge. The buffet is lavish with a delicious food variety and live action stations with chef. The garden is very well kept with a beautiful landscape and exotic animals like flamingos. Upon our arrival a peacock was walking around the hotel entrance. The staff at the front desk is very personable and helpful. We had a great check-in with a young gentlemen taking us with our luggage in a golf card to our room. Our oceanfront room had an amazing view over the beach and a very large terrace with table and chairs where we enjoyed our evenings before going to dinner. The steak restaurant had great meat and the locations was very charming. The room was very spacious with a walk-in closet and comfortable bed. The weather was so nice that we actually slept with open balcony doors and listened to the ocean while falling asleep. The hotel has a daily entertainment team with daytime activities and night shows which are fun to watch. During the day we also took advantage of their excursions which can be booked through the hotel and we had a great snorkling experience with fishes eating out of our hands.
All in all, we had a very relaxing vacation and would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ReiseCheck
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Guest:

I am very satisfied to know that your time us was really enjoyable and had a relaxing experience. Thank you for mentioning the good service of the staff from bars and the front desk. Will be for me a great pleasure that you come back, again.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed at this resort with a large family reunion. We had 31 people ranging from under a year to 78 years old. For the most part everyone enjoyed the resort but it had its limitations. The food was good but limited in variety. There are only three a la cartes and they can be hard to get reservations for. Breakfast in particular was repetitive although it was good food. The resort is older and although functional, it needs updating and repair, from broken tiles in the pool to not very cold mini fridges or room A/Cs. Service was inconsistent with some very engaged and some going through the motions. We had both excellent servers, bartenders etc. and some that were oblivious. The animation team works hard and if you choose to participate, you will have a good time. The shows were standard all inclusive resort fare but being such a large group we had a great time. Unfortunately, they mix in advertisements for nightclub outings into the shows which was irritating and they also put too much emphasis on themselves in the shows. During karaoke night they took two of the songs instead of letting more guests sing.
The beach was very nice with a swimming area with both sand and some small reef. Visibility was not great most days (20-30 ft) but even in the swimming area there are plentiful fish, a few eels and an octopus if you look closely. We snorkeled early in the morning (sunrise around 6 am) and snorkeled well out of the swimming area. The reviews commenting on the dangerous boat traffic are correct but before 8 am there are very few boats out. Looking directly out from the resort beach you can see an artificial island which is a tourist attraction with underwater enclosures. It is about 3/4ths of a mile out. We swam out and saw a sunken submarine and beautiful reefs on the way. The enclosures themselves house large nurse sharks and sting rays. Swimming back towards what looks like a long dock are dolphin enclosures. We did not agree with other reviewers that the snorkeling was good to the left of the resort. We swam about a mile in that direction and saw little of interest and not good reef. The boats also travel through there very close to shore after 9 am or so. If you walk down the beach to the left about a mile, there is some reef right before you get to a blue house just off the beach. If you walk another mile, you will find a long stretch of tidal pools.
The grounds are beautiful as stated by other reviewers. Some of the bars had limited hours which was inconvenient. All in all we enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed the resort but more attention to detail and service with some repairs and renovation could turn this into a great resort.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank taoofthecaribbean
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Guest:

I am grateful for the feedback with respect at the experience that you and your large family had together in our resort. Also, thanks for stand out our good food and animation team. I appreciate a lot your advice and recommendations, they are very useful to continue improvement and hope that allow us to serve you some day in the future.

Very cordially,