11,719 results
All reviewsseaside grillpreferred clubworld cafecoco cafeentertainment teampreferred poolpreferred areaexplorers clubel patiopreferred roomfrench restauranthoneymoon suitewedding coordinatorlobby barsteakdominican republicthe general manager
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Maybe I have been overly spoiled as I find this resort to be disappointing. The location is excellent, a short 20 minutes ride from the airport. Food was okay but found it very weird that 2 out of the 6 restaurants alternate closing. For example, the buffet and Italian restaurants were closed last night. This is unheard of for an all inclusive resort. The Explorer's kids club was great. The room we stayed in had leaky faucet and humming air conditioning. On the last night I couldn't sleep for the leaking faucet was very noisy. The pool and the beach are both great but had to get our own drinks =( When we stayed at Majestic Colonial couple years ago, there were numerous attendants checking in on us regarding drinks. The service is mediocre here as I had concierge called me three times to confirm cab services to the airport and they still got it wrong. We had to wait 20 minutes in the lobby for the cab to arrive. I'm not sure if it is due to off season or bad economy because I was expecting more from a four star resort.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank slam1022
Reviewed 10 October 2009

We went to this resort to see my son get married. There were 14 of us in all. The staff was friendly, helpful and wanted to make your stay wonderful. The wedding cordinator was wonderful. The wedding was beautiful. They had a lot of activities. I must agree though, that there were a few things that could be improved upon. The food was fine.

Really wasn't crazy about the World Cafe. The Seaside Grill was awesome. The shower "door" needs some more to it! Water on the floor. The aggressiveness of the "vendors" that came a couple of times was annoying. I wish the hot water for showers were hotter and the room refrigerators cooler. My biggest pet peeve was when you wanted to buy something, nobody had change, and they would say buy more. Which did not happen. Private shops very expensive.

The spa was wonderful, the many pools beautiful, the landscaping was amazing. We took a couple of tours, The outback safari was great. The four wheeling was fun but the four wheelers kept on breaking down and our brakes even got stuck and we could not stop until somehow our guide caught up with us and joined us on the four wheeler and was eventually able to stop it. The moral of this story, is do not buy anything from a booth by the pool but by the recommended ones in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank k5teach
Reviewed 10 October 2009

The location was very nice.
The property was very clean and the room was clean.
Everyone was friendly.

The beach was nice and big, but had seaweed on it. They raked in the morning to clean it up, but by 9:00 or 10:00 a.m., it was back. Not much they could do. (Nicer beaches were located more on the Caribbean side of the island.)

They had a lot of activities, and did a good job getting people involved.

The entertainment at night was the best I have seen in the Caribbean (and from the 2 cruises I've been on). We've traveled to the Caribbean around 7 to 10 times. There was a LOT of dancing -- maybe too much, but the shows were still great. These dancers did a great job entertaining, and they had a circus night, magic night, international night, etc.

OK -- the food was so-so. The French restaurant was the best. The Japanese was disappointing. The Italian restaurant was horrible -- very slow service and really bad food. The buffet was what you would expect. The fruits were great! The desserts were OK -- varied quite a bit. Breakfast was very good. Dinner was just OK.

All of the water they used was bottled water. We used this to brush our teeth as well. But, even with being cautious, I did get sick about mid-way into the week. Thank God for immodium! Be sure to bring some with you. I've eaten and had drinks at a lot of places in the Caribbean, but never got sick. That kind of ruined it for me, but again -- it is a really nice resort. (I suspect the only problem was the coffee. I loved the taste, but I think it was the culprit. We won some, and when I had it back at home, if I drank too much, I had a problem here too. So, that might have been it. It tasted great though!!!)

They had typical water sports. No wave runners though. No water skiing. They had a banana boat ride. You could take out windsurfers, kayaks, and hobie cat for free. Snorkeling was just OK. We took a trip to the other side of the island, and we snorkeled out in the ocean a bit. It was too rough. Then they took us to a very nice beach, but I was too tired to snorkel there. I should have waited and done it there. I think it would have been a little better. My son did scuba diving. He said it was OK, but there are better places. The snorkeling was WAY overpriced for what you got. I would not recommend it.

The island seemed safe. We didn't go out at night, and I don't think that was recommended.

Note: they DO cheat at the casino. Roulette and some of the other games. So be careful. The card games didn't look so bad.

We were part of Apple Tours, and they did a great job getting us around and telling us what was important. However, during the initial meeting, they talked about 4 activities not to do there -- as "very dangerous." Well, we usually ATV when we go to an island -- so we did that "very dangerous" activity any way. We saw some cool sights, and probably the best beach on the island by far, but riding the ATVs (and dune buggys) were very BORING. They went in a line, probably top speed of 15 mph. The ride back to the hotel in the back of the tourist truck was way more exciting than the "very dangerous" ATV ride. One part was kind of cool riding through all of these mud puddles, but it was still at a very slow speed. So, could have been more fun. We were disappointed overall because of this. ATVs on Aruba is the best. Jamaica was very nice too.

Apple Tours gave a great deal. So we were happy about that. There was no need to upgrade from what we saw. Our room was very nice. We did hear about someone on this site saying to bring some humidity absorbing packs for the room (DampRid). These worked pretty well. We used 1 in each room, and that was enough for the week. For some reason, one room was worse than the other. (The rooms were adjoining.)

Overall, I recommend the resort and the Island. I think I would like to have tried the Dreams resort on the Caribbean side though.

Also: I donate blood all the time. Guess what? Almost all of the Dominican Republic is a Malaria risk. (I didn't see any mosquitoes really when I was there -- so they must spray or something.) But, because it is a Malaria risk, I cannot donate blood for 1 year now. Not a show stopper for me, but in case you care.

One more thing: They have a fridge in the room, and they stock it every day with bottled water, soda, and beer. It doesn't sound like much, but it is a very nice addition. Nicer than I thought when I read about it. It's really convenient.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ChuckHura
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We were at Dreams Palm Beach from Sept 19-Oct 3. We were in the preferred club and I recommend this upgrade - breakfast and lunch is a la carte and always with a smile. Yes, the service is slow - because you are supposed to be relaxing. If you want to "rush your meals", then go to the buffet and run around.

The restaurants in the evening are all very good. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes and on most occasions, were able to walk in and be seated. If you do have a wait, the beeper system is great as you can go to the bar and have a cocktail while you are waiting.

It is true that the showers leave a little to be desired, but we just put a large towel on the floor and it took care of the water. The maid service was excellent and we always had 6 fresh towels at our disposal. The beds are very comfortable and you have lots of pillows.

There is a life guard on the beach - it is hard to miss him sitting up there. The beach is lovely. The pools are clean and always sparkling. I saw the pool attendant every day checking the water and adjusting chlorine, etc.

I had no problem getting premium drinks, even at the pool bar. In fact, in all the bars we had to tell the bartenders "enough booze", because they are very liberal in their pourings.

We have travelled to D.R. 8 times, so we are not new to the resort scene. Believe me, of all the resorts we have been to, this one ranks up in the top 3. I think some of the complaints on here are from tourists who haven't travelled much and are expecting North American standards but not paying North American rates.

To those contemplating DPB: GO and ENJOY. The staff are super friendly and will try to please you.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tanned2perfection
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I read the reviews before I left and felt I should add my two cents. Feel free to contact me for pics or specific questions. I think it was a great resort for the money we paid.

Rooms - I agree with a few other reviews - our AC had a hard time keeping the temperature below 74 (but, it was REALLY hot outside). I am sure in the cooler months, it has no problem. We took DAMPRID with us (bought at Home Depot for $3) and it helped lower the humidity (which helps the AC cool the room faster). The rooms do look exactly as shown in brochures. We had a total of 5 mosquitos in the room during our whole stay - not bad. Good TV (was able to watch some NFL games!). Didn't care for the shampoo or lotion (bring your own if you are picky like me!)

Weather - Gorgeous and HOT! I expected a lot of rain when I checked the weather channel. We were there for 6 days and it only rained twice in the late afternoon for about 20-30 minutes. Be careful! Don't get sunburned the first day and suffer the rest of your trip!!

Beach - nice white sand, not alot of people selling their items and bothering you. They did their best to take care of the seaweed. We played volleyball twice a day. They had soccer and plenty of other activities too.

Food - loved the Japanese place! Great entertainment and the food was really tasty! In general, something seemed off about their cheese (to me) so the Italian spot wasn't great or the pizza in the buffet. The food was okay - not 5 star, but not bad. I didn't starve for sure! If you are a late sleeper, breakfast closes at 11 and the lunch buffet doesn't start again until 12 or 12:30.

Golf - my fiance went to La Cana and had a great time golfing. $170 for 18 holes, transport, and your cart. There were cheaper places, but this place was highly recommended and only 25 minutes away. Bring your clubs - renting them will run you another $45 and balls were pricey too. We flew American and the clubs were free to check in. Most excursions were in the $75-85 range per person.

Service - the service was good. Because people have started tipping in order to get served quicker at the bars, the staff now seem to expect it (instead of trying to earn it). That's my pet peeve. I believe in tipping, but people really should wait until the end of the trip and do it. That way, the service doesn't suffer. To me, the point of the all-inclusive is to not have to carry cash in the pool for tips!

Photos - for no charge, a photographer will do a photo shoot of you and your family (partner, friends, whoever). Do this your first day - you may feel cheesy doing it, but the pictures come out really well (and you won't be sunburned yet!) PIcs were ~$10 each.

Weddings - I would totally recommend this spot for a destination wedding. The gazebo was sooo beautiful (or you could do the ceremony right on the beach). Its a fun atmosphere for a big group. There's a decent club/sports bar with TV, pool table, casino and dance music.

Money - bring US dollars and don't exchange them! You get killed on the exchange and they all accept US dollars. I usually just use a credit card when I travel to get the best exchange rate, but most tack on a service charge if you use your card. Bring $10 per person for the ENTRY Tourist Tax.

Airport - they made us get to the airport REALLY REALLY early. Grab some food to go from the resort. Otherwise you'll be paying $12 for Wendy's.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends