“Family hotel”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We were transferred to this hotel from Majestic Colonial as there was a fire at the Majestic.There were lots of things we preffered ,it is smaller and therefore feels more homely the beds were much more comfortable the food was better the staff were much better. However this is definitely a family orientated resort too much so for us 60 ish.The constant music playing everywhere except on the beach although you could still hear this when they had dance lessons etc. I would recommend this hotel for familys and young people but we will be going to adults only next time!

Room Tip: I dont think ther would be a problem anywhere on this resort we were happy with block 2
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mayMarlow
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I just got back on Monday from The Dreams Palm Beach with a wedding group that I had booked (Travel agent). I can honestly say this hotel is a solid 4 star. Below I will outline the "Good" and than some of the things that need to be addressed to keep people coming back.

GOOD:

- Great size resort, can get around the whole resort on foot in 5-10 minutes.

- Fantastic customer service (I spilled a drink on my sheets, and called for new sheets at midnight and they arrived within 15 minutes!)

- Amazing a la carte restaurants - our group consensus was French was the best. Would say probably best a la carte restaurants I have been to at an All-Inclusive. (Though I will say, I wasn't I huge fan of the buffet - and have had better at other resorts)

- Wedding set up was beautiful, a great hotel for weddings - all the locations were nice (beach gazebo, regular gazebo, and set up on the beach)

- Clean resort

- Fruit Bar - Had a fruit bar set up near the pool (Watermelon, oranges on sticks...great to stay hydrated!)

- Beach was very nice, not over crowded at any point, can always get a chair and a sunshade!

- Nice area of Punta Cana - not on the main hotel strip with many jam packed resorts, situated on a strip with only a couple of hotels.

- Close to airport (30 minutes at max!)

- Spacious rooms, and nice decor.

- Large pools

- Pool and Beach drink service was good

- Great shampoo, body wash and lotion. ( I love not having to bring my own, and especially loved the quality of the spampoo, lotion, body wash.)

- Great entertainment, the trapeze show was the best show.

- Didn't have to make reservations in advance for a la cartes

- Loved the coffee shop - great treats and really good coffee

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT:

- Rooms need improvement to keep this resort at the price point they want to stay at.

Truthfully, I have traveled extensively to other chains and comparing rooms - this resort falls short in the room maintenance, and is missing a couple of needed things.

Yes the decor is beautiful, and when brand new was probably amazing, and rooms are spacious - but it is starting to fall apart. Examples of this are; Sloppy re-painting (paint on tile in shower), a lot of moldy grout on floor tiles, and on bottom of shower tiles, soap scum left behind on glass shower closure, many chips in tiles, scratched up mirror. Beds are starting to sag, a couple of people in the group including myself had back pain while trying to sleep.

Also, one of my group members actually fell in the shower - she grabbed the bar in the shower and it came right out of the wall and she fell and hit her head. Luckily she was fine, but they need to be checking the fixtures to make sure they are sturdy. Many people in my group had cold showers at dinner time and commented on re-occuring wet floors after having showers.

Room is lacking some obvious things like extra drawer space - room has only 2 drawers to put clothing, my entire group commented on that, and stated they were living out of their suitcase.

Room does not have a towel rack, so we hung our hand towel on a mirror, sounds petty to note - but again a lot of people in my group commented on that.

Room only has one hook to hang anything (our clothing line in shower was broken), and they do not have a rack outside on the balcony, as they do not want you to hang things on your balcony. Recommend the preferred club room - was basically the same but in much better condition.

- Beach grill - I don't eat a lot of meat, and the beach grill had hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, french fries, and natchos - that's it. They need to have some vegetarian options, and fresh healthy dishes. So for lunch a couple of days I ate just french fries with mayo, or just natchos...it was either that or dry off and put closes on to walk to the buffet...when you are swimming, the last thing you want to do is dry off and get covered to go eat something. If I had Preferred Club, I could of used the beach restaurant and ate like a queen for lunch.

Basically to sum it up, my trip was enjoyable. Though I shouldn't have to feel as if I should pay for preferred club to get a nice room or to be able to eat good at lunch. Yes preferred club should have extras for sure like better room location and free wi-fi, etc like they offer - but I shouldn't have to feel like Preferred club got a better vacation in regards to eating at lunch and room maintenance because they purchased the preferred club. If these couple of negatives are corrected, the resort stands to be a 5 star!

Room Tip: I had building #2, and would say it was great location, close to everything. Recommend Preferred Clu...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Littletravelgal
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My daughter and new son-in-law had a picture perfect wedding here at the beginning of April. There were 40 of us, and except for a few minor things, everyone had an excellent experience. Johanna is a great and gracious wedding planner. She helped in many ways above and beyond. Our photographer was phenomenal. Expensive but worth it! Gasolina, Beauty, Usher, Jeff, and many others kept us laughing and feeling welcome. The party boat was worth it 10 times over and they kept us out longer than they had to. A little choppy that day for snorkeling, but still good. All in all a wonderful experience. We miss Gasolina and Beauty, my boyfriend. Security!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Best place I have been to. The staff have made it worth every penny. I have never been so catered or taken cared of in my life. Also this place is beautiful. Ocean is clear and the sand is clean and white. Definitely coming back again within the year. Gotta have the mamajuana!!

Room Tip: Either beach front or anywhere else. You aren't going to stay in the room since there is so much...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David H
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Dreams Palm Beach is an excellent resort with excellente entertainment and many things to do. They have a list of events for you to take part of everyday. The hotel staff is very friendly and will do anything to make your stay comfortable. The food is excellent and with no reservations you just wait for the table with a beeper and head to the bar. Try all restaurants and also the grill in the preferred section. No wristbands to wear and the wait staff gets to know you well and even comes out to the beach to wait on you. The rooms are very comfortable with many great views. The casino is small, but hey, you can play a lot of $5.00 blackjack! They treat the spring break young adults excellente as well! I would recommend this hotel to anyone.....relax and be pampered by the Dreams staff!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family