New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of ClubHotel Riu Bambu

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #71 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Beautiful, ignore bad reviews!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We came here on July 12th 2012 for 2 weeks. Before coming for months since i booked the holiday i constantly checked on here for reviews and before going i was so apprehensive from reading all the things i had. I even tried calling first choice to see if i could change but they told me to ignore them and they're right!!
The people that moan on here are mainly americans or foreigners to be honest!!
The rooms are very spacious and 2 big beds put together, brilliant as i had a double to myself!
Sometimes never had hot water but it would be sorted shortly never lasted.
The beach is AMAZING!! Best ever, and even the pool is good, we did half an half as the entertainment is around the pool. They did a BBQ round the pool one day and cocounuts really good, BBQ was yummy!!
Always plenty of sunbeds so no need to have to reserve them the same with tables on a night time for the entertainment, which we noticed one night some foreign couple put there beach bag on the table near the front which annoyed everybody!! No need there are plenty of seats!!
The maids are lovely and we always had different things in our room. It was my 21st birthday while i was there and they decorated my room with balloons and did a big 21 decor on our bed.
The breakfast is nice, i had omelette most mornings just sometimes have to que.
We went across near the pool for our dinner as that seemed to be the better place during lunch.
On a night time in the normal restaurant they do different themes. mexican was my favourite by far but they are opening an ala carte mexican which will be lovely!! Always plenty to choose from, fish, veg, meat etc the pizza's are gorgeous!!!
We tried all the ala carte restaurants my favourite is definately the Hibatchi! Its like a chinese you would get at own eat all you want, beaut! We enjoyed the italian to, we went there twice.
Tried the steakhouse but didnt really do it for me but my boyfriend loved it!
The important part is the entertainment. Lovely lovely people! And they work so hard for so little! Truely do anything for anybody, the shows were excellent especially the Michael Jackson show. Say hi to Obama and Ashley!!
The bar next to the stage is the best bar to go, Fabian the manager is one of the nicest people you can meet, tip him and he will constantly look after you as he did us for the 2 weeks we was there.
We did the saona vip island trip which was fantastic must do trip as the beaches and the star fish are fantastic!!
The palace next door that is being redone looks amazing but by far Bambu is were all the fun and entertainment it.
Would i go back? Definate!!! Even if we was to stay in the palace we would spend majority of our time in the bambu due to the people and the fun!
Well worth our money, go and enjoy and take no notice of the bad reviews!! You cant please everybody can you :) x

Room Tip: Dont take dominican pesos take DOLLARS!! Everything is in dollars and that is all they want. Tip t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Ab1991
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Harrisburg, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I should have taken heed to the reviews for this specific resort, It was an absolute bust!! I too have lost faith in Apples rating review, as this was definitely not a 5 star resort. Nothing about it was even close to 5 star. We arrived on 7/26/12 in the early afternoon, and stayed unti 7/29/12. Upon check in, we walked around to check the resort out. Not one single employee smiled or said Hello. We took a "jaunt" to the Pizzeria, as we were a little hungry after the flight, bad idea. The food was SO BAD, it was disgusting. Seemed like the pasta had been sitting out for days, the sauces, well if you want to call them that were tasteless and flavorless with a strange "pink suprise meat". Finally made it to the room, yet another bust. Bugs everywhere, beds that were as hard as rocks & rust all over the bathroom tub. The Continetal Buffet, the main salon for breakfast, lunch and dinner, was also very disappointing. The hot food was warm at best and the cold food was warm. Not very good quality or variety at all. The bartenders were ok, but you had to specify whether you wanted alcohol. Which upon requesting alcohol, found it to be extremely watered down. I am not a drinker, but I do know when alcohol has been watered down. The worst was on the weekends when they let anyone and everyone from their country in. It became extremely over crowded!! Tons of kids in the "Adult Only" pool! Not to mention that it was full of debris, cups and cigarette butts. Was just really gross!!! Kids getting out of the pool and peeing on the bushes, where are their manners? I must say that this vacation, and I have had a lot through Apple, has by far been the worst and would not reccomend this resort to anyone!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Nichole B

Travellers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Norris City, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Let me start by saying we read many negative reviews before going to this particular resort and were a bit apprehensive. But I can most assuredly tell you that there is nothing to be worried about. Is it the fanciest resort out there? No. However it is a very good resort in a third world country. Rooms might be a tad smaller than others but absolutely nothing wrong with them and the maid service kept them very clean. Food was fine- in line with any other all inclusives we have stayed at. Beach is gorgeous. Water is clear and beautiful. If you are going for the pool- it is nice but yes it stays pretty crowded. We go for the beach and were very pleased. You can go to a pool at home:) There might be little glitches here and there. Water was lukewarm one evening but just the once. Beds are hard but not an issue. There are vendors around but just say no and you are good. Air conditioning in rooms works great! Everything else is open air but usually a nice ocean breeze to go along with it. All in all- great resort- go- you won't be disappointed. We enjoyed our stay very much. Thank you Riu Bambu in Punta Cana Dominican Republic.

• Stayed July 2012
9 Thank KJP714
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

While I got a REALLY good last-minute deal to this hotel, and am overall happy that i managed to get away with mt 2 kids to a wonderful beach, and nobody got sick, etc - i only had just one huge disappointment. The first night in the room, I couldnt fall asleep for a while, so I turned the light back on. And there it was. a huuuuuuuuuge cockroach on the floor! By the time I turned around to grab a flip-flop to kill it, it was gone. I spoke with the reception the next day about it - they offered to move me, which I thought would be a pain, because a) i have already unpacked and organized all our clothes, so would take me half a day to pack/unpacka gain, and b) i couldnt be sure that the new room will be roach-free. So their next solution was to spray the room I was in. I was concerned, as I didnt want my kids to breathe some unknown chemicals..They assured me that they'll spary right after we leave for the beach, and air it all out - so by the time we get back to the room, it should be fine..And if its not fine, they could still move us.. SO, i opted for the spraying. Didnt feel any funny smell when we got back to the room, so the next few nights were ok..I deliberately turned the lights on in a middle of the night a few times - and everything seemed clean.. And then on day 4 or 5 - i found another cockroach in the bath tub. Managed to kill that one. Went to reception again. They didnt seem very surprised, it seems. I'm sure they are aware of the problem, and possibly not just in that room/building. I was in building 7. To make up for this little "incident", they let me do a late checkout for free, so instead of the usual 12 checkout, i got to keep the room till 5, when we had to leave for the airport. I loved the beach and was happy with the food, but this cockroach situation was upsetting - not something u expect in the 5-star hotel, even in DOminican (I've been to quiet a few, and the only other time i encountered them were in Iberostar Punta Cana over 15 years ago). Whenever a few thousand dollars are involved spent on vacation - i feel there should not be any pests. Just my opinion. So, sadly - I will not return to Bambu, even though i love the atmosphere, food, and the beach.

Room Tip: Dont agree to be put in Building 7
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RRZ74
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Having parents from Jamaica when booking this holiday I was looking for something that would be like my native country but with a twist. When booking I thought that this would be the perfect place and also the perfect hotel offering the best value for money I had seen.
On arrival in Punta Cana we were glad to see that the airport was very authentic, it literally being a large hut with palm leaves for the roof.
We were quickly shown to our appropriate coaches and in no time at the hotel which is only 25mins away from the airport.
The hotel is situated in the riu complex which consists of five hotels. Due to our flight on the way back being cancelled we were able to experience one of the other hotels in the complex "Riu Palace Bavaro" which is extremely luxurious, not to our taste but was nice for one nights stay.
Bambu is a very lively hotel and there is ALWAYS something to do, the entertainment staff work extremely hard to make sure you are never bored with many sports during the day including mini golf, archery, aqua aerobics and water polo. There were also crazy games around the pool which were lots of fun. Thank you especially to Obama who made our holiday even more special and was very helpful.
In the evenings the entertainment was absolutely amazing with a show every night except thursdays where there is a carnival at caribean street. most of the entertainment consist of dancing the Michael Jackson and African Show is not to be missed, these were my favourite shows.

The food at the hotel was good and very tasty, there was a lot of selection so would be no problems for fussy eaters. Although by the second week had become a bit repetitive.
The themed restaurants have to be experienced, highly recommend the Asian (more chinese than actually asian). The steakhouse is ok, however we didn't enjoy the Italian the food was not authentic at all.

Rooms were nice, large bed and had AC. Were also cleaned everyday by the maids who are dedicated. There is also a mini bar in the room which is filled every two days.

Overall this was the best holiday I have been on in my adulthood. I don't understand the bad reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to reception as the complex is large and some rooms are quite a walk away.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple