“Punta Cana great for family and fun!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #44 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Hartford, CT
“Punta Cana great for family and fun!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We went to Punta Cana as our family summer vacation this year instead of our typical cruise. After reading many reviews prior to going I had to stop because I was getting so nervous. I think that if you've ever done a Club Med vacation, or an all inclusive resort and have looked at the destination on line there should be little surprise. I think some of the reviews have been unfair and some complaints (which I'll address below) are simply ridiculous.

Arrival was great, airport to Club Med was only a couple of miles away. Shown to our rooms, Colon building was definitely a great location, just a short walk to Center of Village and pools. There are some buildings that are farther away but every building sees the ocean and palm trees. So what, you have to walk further if you didn't happen to get right next to center but you also had a little more activity in this area. We walked the entire path and at most the farthest walk at a strolling pace was 5ish minutes.

The rooms could use some updating,fresh paint and new mattresses maybe, but they are not sold as lavish five star luxury accomodations. The rooms are basic, with clean beds, balconies, working bathrooms, fridges and A/C. You are in Punta Cana..it is HOT. The A/C ran in our room all the time and although it looks like the temp doesn't come down much it is a lot cooler then outside and 75 in a room with the A/C fan does feel a lot cooler and is refreshing compared to outside. How much are you in a room when you go on this kind of vacation anyway!?? Us, not much! We did see some angry Americans complaining on one of the mornings after we'd been there a few days demanding to have someone change their resort or fly them home because there rooms were so awful. I couldn't see from looking in many of them as you walk by, or as they are cleaning them, that they were any different then ours. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a great luxury room and king size bed and the best of amenities, nowhere did I think that is what I would recieve at this Club Med. I think its all about expectations.

The pool area was very nice and although there are a lot of families there is plenty of space. To adress the bridge complaint by several others who gave reviews, is a joke. The pool is not ginormous and the walk from one side to the other, unless you walk reallly slow is maybe 30 seconds. We joked and laughed everytime we were on one side of pool and had to get to the other about all the bridge comments. The pool is not as large as some all inclusives I've been to but for this location, a family oriented place, it is well sized. There is a whole separate pool area for little ones with water slides, etc. Our daughter is 11 but the little tots looked to be having fun and wow were they kept busy, anytime we saw them.

Our daughter was hesitant to kids club because of the fear of language barrier. We brought her over and the G.O. there spoke French, Spanish and English very well. They took her right away to the other kids and introduced here. There is a predominant amount of French people at the club but the G.O's made sure to know who spoke what language so they could communicate. The most amazing thing of all events is how by Wednesday the G.O's plan and get all the kids to perform a show in the theater with well crafted choreography. They do all kinds of activities and boredom is never an issue. Once our daughter met some other friends they would come and go to kids club the pool or where we might be hanging out.

The food is amazing!! We preferred Samana as was a bit more indoors and seemed to be a bit nicer for dress, less bathing suits and quieter, but we did dine in Hispanola as well. Hispanola does get birds but they fly in and out, very expected for an - open seating enxt to the ocean with no windows - kind of place. The waitstaff cleared plates right away and so the birds didn't really have a lot of incentive to stay hanging around long. We say no fly issues in eiether restaurant as in other reviews. Both restaurants both had some tasty standard choices and some great "try it because it's new and we're somewhere else" choices that were amazing. The different kinds of fish were always well executed and delicious. The wine was nice, you just went and helped yourself to a bottle(s) for the talbe, there was also some really nice assortments of cheeses daily too.

The bar staff was very kind especially if you tried a little and said thank you in French or Spanish. I did get a cold cuppachino one day instead of a hot due to language issue but I asked again and got what I wanted, not an issue. Now on to the drinks; the beer - great! The staff knew to put a lemon or lime in mine by day two without asking. The wine was also good, red, white and rose options. Mixed drinks...so-so..the daquiris did seem to have rum. The vodka was more of a joke. I asked for a mixed drink one night and the bartender put half a glass of "vodka" in it, and I still tasted none and my husband laughed as he barely drinks vodka and would have noticed. I brought it back and got a beer, the bartender smiled and apologized...he gave the impression he knew it was watered down. So we stuck to beer and wine and one night I splurged and bought some of the higher shelf booze because I wanted a real drink. I could TELL there was alcohol in that.

The beach is private and HUGE! You can take out any sporting equipment you'd like and on the site they also have tennis and archery and circus. Plenty to do if you didn't want to just get away from work and sit by the pool or ocean and relax. The exercise classed they do daily are amazing, they kick your butt and the instructors are great. Zumba seemed to be the big hit as there was always a lot of people doing that class.

We could hear a little of the night life but it was muffled through the walls and we all fell asleep anyway due to busy days in the sun. Overall I would rate this is a very good family choice. There is plenty to do, for kids to do, to eat, to see, to try. This is not a five-star resort with luxury accomodations but we didn't expect that but we did get all the fun we anticipated with a lot of relaxation, fun, food and family time. Isn't that what family vacations are for?

Room Tip: Colon building is right near village center, close to all activities and restaurants and pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Serenaksc
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Dear Kristin L,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Punta Cana resort. We are thrilled to know you and your family had a wonderful stay and that our pools, staff, food, and activities surpassed your every expectation. Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate any feedback our guests may have. We are so glad you enjoyed your vacation and we hope you visit again soon!
Your Club Med Team
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Plano, Texas, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Great times! Wonderful GOs, amazing location and as usually great experience. This is our 7th visit to a CM resort, and as always we ask ourselves why we even bother to try other things. Last year we tried an all exclusive vacation in Mexico, which was great but can’t even be compared to any of our vacations at CM. The multi culture mix of GOs generates a unique environment, the music, sports and dancing is what makes it so special for us. If you go with kids, CM Punta Cana offers the best vacation. It’s like being with the kids and without them. Our 8 year daughter and 4 year son did not even want to come with us to any activity; they asked to go to the kids club. Language is a problem and we were lucky to have other English speaking kids, otherwise this could be an issue. The Kids club GO’s are amazing, they work very hard and connects with the kids. They do lots of activities and give the kids great time. We read some of the comments before we left which made us a little bit concern, especially after our last visit to CM Ixtapa, which was great and set high expectations. But, Punta Cana came out great at the same level. Each club has its unique touch and in Punta Cana you get the Caribbean and Dominican Republic atmosphere. We highly recommend visiting CM Punta Cana!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Riki F
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Riki F,
Thank you for your review. It makes us very happy to know that we were able to provide a great vacation for you and your family. We're so glad that you enjoyed our entertainment, activities, and environment and that your children enjoyed the Kids Club. Thank you again for your comments and for being a loyal Club Med fan. We can't wait to see you again soon!

Redwood City, California
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I recently went to Club Med Punta Cana a month ago with my two children. This is the 3rd Club Med vacation we took this year. Club Med Punta Cana is HORRIBLE. My 9 1/2 year old daughter got a bacterial gastroenteritis infection and was hospitalized there for two days. It was terrifying. She now as we discovered yesterday has a serious parasite that she got in Punta Cana. Besides the health issues, the GO team was the worst I have ever seen. No concept of customer service. I wanted to play ping pong with my son and they were out of ping pong balls. We asked two sports GO's where we could get more and they both said "sorry, we cannot help you" and kept on walking. I will NEVER go back to this village and will never recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank lmbeach
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
So sorry your recent stay was unsatisfactory. If you haven't yet done so please follow-up with our Guest Relations team by e-mailing us.guestrelations@clubmed.com.
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

My husband, teenage daughter(17)and I all had so much fun!the GOs were so friendly, helpful and sincerely kind... It's not easy to travel with an only child and have fun, all three of us at the same time... Club Med delivers.. The setup is great, food is fantastic, ambiance amazing. Our special thanks to several GOs that were like our family when we left... Kimberly, with dance lessons and Zumba... My husband and I can dance many Latin dance routines now... And Zumba was amazing!!! Dieter is with the mini club, but helped with the teens too, and was omnipresent keeping an eye on everything... Manneu, or Manny and Alexandra, among other circus GOs worked so hard, nonstop, and they are such beautiful people inside and out... Andy and Danny and Mary,omg... Andy works with those teens and that's not easy , he's so cool... And my daughter loved Danny, he immediately knew what to say to her!!!Jackson was a GO that remembered my name every time he saw me...the bartenders remembered your drinks... CID is The Chief of the village Barc's right hand man and gave us a great sendoff...we have been home only a couple of days and miss it so much!!! We made lots of new friends and memories!!!there is so much to do !!! All sorts of exercise classes, water sports,archery, oh yes... My husbands favorite, GO Rub with archery... Oh shows every night... The disco!!! Fun in the beautiful sun!!! Do bring all of your cute clothes and lots of hair conditioner and sunblock as the boutique there is outsourced, and expensive and the employees there are not affiliated with Club Med and the are a bit cold and cranky... Just try and get Ines to give you your silver club med member discount without a scolding !!! That being said it was amazing!!! We want to go again soon!!! We were there for 17 days and loved every minute! Oh yes, and Elvis was so helpful and amazing I know I'm going to forget someone... Love club med!!! From the Salad lady to the sweet housekeepers... Beautiful people!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Bayclub,
Thank you for your comments. We are so happy to hear that you and your family had a wonderful vacation! It sounds like you, your husband and your daughter took advantage of all that Club Med has to offer. Our GOs take pride in providing a relaxing and exciting stay, and we’re glad you made so many friends on your trip. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We went to the CM Punta Cana in April 2012. We are 2 sport-loving adults from Canada with an 11 year old athletic son. We are fluent in French and English. We've been to 6 Club Meds, some multiple times, all over the world.

The club was busy with about a third American guests, 1/2 from France and the rest from Canada and other places.

Overall the CM Punta Cana was a decent experience, but not the best we have had - that prize goes to CM Ixtapa Pacific, which is clearly a notch above.

Pro's:
1. Location: Right near the airport means <10 minutes transfer time. The Club is located on a very private stretch of beautiful beach. Neighbours are a series of very wealthy homes, including Julio Iglesias' right next door. There are no other hotels or resorts (aka people) to share the beach with. Security is present but not overwhelming (mostly on the perimeter). The Club is quite large, but all of the activities except the Spa are pretty centrally located. Only the most mobility-impaired or harried persons will see this as an issue. We stayed at the end of the resort, overlooking the privately-run spa and never considered this a problem (a bonus actually as you are a bit (but not enough) away from noise at night - more on that later).

2. Rooms: These are only decent by CM standards, not at the level of CM Ixtapa. We stayed in a "normal" room. Nice balcony, average air con, lousy reno. It looks good if you don't look too closely. But closer inspection reveals a shower that would not drain due to the floor being sloped away from the drain, electrical outlets with creative electrical connections that would meet no electrical code in any country in the world, and rust due to the quality of the materials not being up to par with the salty, humid environment.

Rooms were cleaned well.

3. Grounds: Nicely maintained grounds on the whole. However there was unnecessary trash in places where cleaning staff had to pass and must have seen. Also, the application of herbicides next to where people are gathered is questionable and I reported this to the kind, attentive and energetic Chef de Village, Barq.

4. Tennis: Tennis was great, even if the courts were just so-so. However pick your tennis instructor carefully. The first day my instructor who was doing the English-speaking group was not so great (the one who leads the pre-dinner dancing in the main bar). Being fluent in French, I switched to Dan who runs the French group. What an awesome guy - I learned plenty of things despite my (fairly advanced) ability...

5. Snorkeling: It was reinforced to me that being nice to people goes a long way. The lonely GM manning the snorkeling and kayak hut was at first not so CM enthusiastic, but spending a few minutes chatting and demonstrating some interest in his life got my son and I a wonderful experience the many times we used the snorkeling gear. I can't remember his name, but the snorkeling was the highlight of our trip. Don't be afraid to venture out almost all the way to the edge of the reef when conditions warrant. The coral out there is undamaged and the sea life abundant. Lots of sting rays, even close to shore - harmless. Good equipment.

6. Other sports: Petanque was fun although it would be nice if someone showed people the rules (I knew, being French) as many did not get the benefit of understanding this very French activity. Did not get to windsurf or sail, but there is a lot of wind, much better than CM Ixtapa.

Ping pong was great. And my wife enjoyed the gym.

7. Samana restaurant: The better of the 2 restaurants, but it was not great. There was no Chef Black like there was at Ixtapa.

Con's:
1. Culture Clash: I had read about the "French-centred" issue at CM Punta Cana but now I understand it. I'm not sure there is much CM can do about it unless they revert to the old policy of sitting people together at big tables for meals (which was great, unless you are a privacy person). Fact is there is no mingling of the French with the anglophones (mostly from the US) and it creates a dual-club mentality. For instance the bar games in the afternoon are all held in French. That left out a considerable part of the GMs. Why not have a perfectly bilingual GO lead it? Interestingly, the pool was mostly populated by Americans, the beach by the French - strange (beach is much better).

2. Disco Noise: If the wind is blowing from the ocean (which it generally does), you will get to live being in the disco until 1 or 2AM, even if you are trying to sleep and your room is at the furthest end of the club. Complaints resulted in nothing. I was told that this was because the speakers (which are set up in the beach-side bar) are pointed toward the club rather than out to sea. These speakers are not fixed to the ground so the answer seems obvious but beyond the ability of CM staff to execute on (even though they agreed with me on the remedy).

3. Medical: Unfortunately we had to visit the doctor for an small illness. The first doctor mis-prescribed and a visit to the other doctor got to the right answer (after a call to our family doctor in Canada). Prescriptions and medical visit costs are high, but you don't need to carry cash on you like at Ixtapa, which is nice (and the right way to do things).

4. G.O. vibe: The general attitude of the GO's was not as enthusiastic as at Club Med Ixtapa and some other clubs. It was OK but not as fun as other clubs. The bar staff was uptight. Greetings were semi-heartfelt. And we never, ever had a GO volunteer to sit with us, ever, which is a first. Too bad as it is often fun to talk to new people and I am not shy in the least (and multi-lingual).

5. Hispaniola restaurant: If you can get over the birds in the dining room thing (not a big deal except one perched above us during our meal and did his thing next to our table - we picked a table without a wire above it the next time), the restaurant is nicely located (if you get an ocean-side table) for bfast and lunch (dinner is somber). Unfortunately the food was pretty boring and much more limited than the main restaurant, Samana. And the cleanliness was suspect - we once witnessed a server pick up a glass from the floor but neglect repeatedly (walking through it several times) to clean the wine on the floor.

6. Evening entertainment: It is fine enough, but it really gets to be the same. It is funny in a completely cheesy way. I got to participate in one show which was humiliating in a good way!

7. WiFi: You pay for decidedly average wi-fi that does not reach everywhere.

Conclusion: We might be back if we get a good deal. But we'll more likely go to CM Ixtapa or else try somewhere else in the world.

Room Tip: Not sure the luxury rooms are worth it - on the water but it is rocky there.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Canucdude
Dear Canucdude,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay at our Club Med Punta Cana resort. We're glad that you had such a good time during your vacation. We're thrilled that you enjoyed our accommodations, tennis, snorkeling and the Samana restaurant. We are sorry, however, that you experienced problems and were displeased with some of our GOs, the disco noise, the Wi-Fi and evening entertainment. We're addressing your comments and concerns immediately. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you at Club Med again in the future!