“Club Med Great Vacation To Relax and Have Fun”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Just returned from an 8 day trip there with family. Fantastic vacation. Was somewhat concerned after reading some of the earlier posts, but after the 8 days feel like I can explain this well. Club Med is a French company and caters to international travelers from all over the world. I don't know the exact demographics while we were there or annually, but my guess is American's comprise less than 25% of the guests in Punta Cana. However, my guess is 100% of the posters here are American. Going 1 step further I would also guess that many more of the negative reviews and stomach issues are reported by Americans. So overall, I would guess the average ratings of a Club Med Punta Cana review is higher if the other 75% were posting on tripadvisor too.

You go to Club Med to have a fantastic vacation. Their old slogan was "the antidote to civilization. It is still true. You go to Club Med for world class locations and wonderful committed staff that entertain you, make you feel welcome and ensure you have a wonderful time. If you go to Club Med you must go to the shows and participate in the daily events. That is what you are paying for. While you are there you will not need your wallet. You will not need cash. You won't be worrying about how much things are costing and tipping. You will be focusing on how you will be spending your time - so much to do and so little time. Time will pass quickly and it will be 20 hour days if you want to.

Breakfast starts at 7:30am, morning activities, lunch, afternoon activities, clean-up, dinner, evening activities, snacks/drinks, dancing, etc into the wee hours. You pick and choose how much or how little. I recommend you take advantage of all.

Staff are fantastic. Lifeguard during the day, professional dancer at night. Staff work hard and are well trained. That goes from the cleaning staff, the culinary staff to the activities. Staff are friendly and the sooner you get to know them the better, it will make your entire trip that much better.

Activities - do them all. Do the trapeze, the water sports (snorkeling, wind surfing, kayaking, sailing, water zumba), the pool and beach games, archery, tennis, hang out at one of the great pools, one of the bars, go see the evening show and participate in the other daily activities. Evenings have dress themes and recommend you be prepared to participate (black and white, all white, red and white, etc). Sounds a bit corny, but let yourself go, get involved, do the songs and crazy signs. These are the things that take your mind of your normal day to day life.

Kids - Childrens programs are wonderful. My kids did not participate because they wanted to be with us. But think they regret that. All the kids they spoke to encouraged them to participate and the staff were always on the look out for someone with the right colored wrist band to recruit.

Food - Something for everyone to eat or drink. If you are American then always ask for bottled water. They will bring you a large bottle of Dasani at every meal. Stick to cooked vegetables and peeled fruits and you will be fine. The culinary staff are amazing. They feed up to 1,600 guests each day (there were only 600 when we were there in June) all three meals and snacks. There is plenty of food choices each day and for each meal. Breads are great, cheeses are great, the abundant wines are okay, Staff work very hard. Several bars on the property and no problem drinking whatever you want, whenever. This probably also explains why so many tripadvisor comments mention stomach issues. Too easy to over eat meals are buffet except at the celeste bar where you order from a limited menu.

Property - This and the staff is why you go to Club Med. Rooms were very comfortable and modern but do not expect the Hyatt Regency or Lowes. And when you stay at the Hyatt Regency or Lowes you should not expect the world class all inclusive food/drink and class activities and staff you get from Club Med. Was worried how the wife and kids would react to the Club Med rooms - they were very pleased. We had an un-obstructed view of the ocean and large 25 ft balcony --and we were in the smaller 375 SF rooms! Certain the deluxe and 5 Trident rooms were even better. Pools were fantastic and pool service incredible. But the beach and grounds are un-matched.

Hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: You shouldn't be in your room too much. Save your money for the excursions - Dolphin swin, cruis...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank BruceG24
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear BruceG24,
Wow! Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent family vacation to our Punta Cana resort! We think you have the mastered the Club Med lifestyle from participating in crazy signs to taking a swing on the trapeze! It sounds like you know exactly how to maximize your time to try all of our great amenities! We appreciate your feedback, and we’re looking forward to your next visit!

Your Club Med Team

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was my first Club Med vacation, and it won't be my last. My son and I had a delightful time. He thoroughly enjoyed the kids' club and the people there. Lucien, Cristian, Natascha, Jimmy, Dieter, Mireille were especially warm and welcoming to myself and my child every time. There was another young woman who was a delight; I'm sorry I don't recall her name. The activities were engaging and Lucien seemed to really get into the drama of it all. :D The staff in general did not hesitate to smile or offer assistance. I worked out daily in the fitness palapas and must state emphatically that Silvia was amazing. She provided detailed instruction for the step and abs/glutes classes that demonstrated a level of expertise that a few others did not display. The only aspect that was less than stellar was the room accommodations were smaller than I had expected and not as luxurious as anticipated via the pictures; some updating would help. We had a marvelous time!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Dear AllisonQ,
We’re so happy you had a great first Club Med experience at our Punta Cana resort! It sounds like you and your son took advantage of all of our amenities from our kid’s club to our fitness classes. It makes us happy to hear that our staff made you stay so enjoyable! Thank you taking the time to share your comments with us, and we can’t wait to see you again!

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Club Med was terrific for our wedding. They source out their wedding planning to a company called Imagine Weddings that is somewhere been atrocious at times and adequate to decent at others, not to mention extraordinarily overpriced. My wife an I planned our wedding almost a year in advance. I have to say, the parts where Club Med was involved, were pretty much terrific. The rooms at this club are OK. They really aren't the best, and almost 50% of my guests ended up having some sort of leak in their room despite it having barely even rained the entire week. My room in particular had a massive leak in the bathroom that was never adequately addressed and mostly ignored. We had one set of guests stay in the 5 trident part of the resort and they said it was really amazing, so I guess if you feel like spending the money, you can have a great room experience. But really, that isn't what Club Med is about. The staff are unbelievable. They do work very hard to accommodate guests and in particular, the head of the village, Barq, is an unbelievable resource. For no extra cost, they put together a wedding dinner setup for my group that was truly amazing (actually almost nicer than the overpriced ceremony and reception). In contrast to the extraordinary amount of money I spent on a very simply organized ceremony, it made me angry that Club Med outsources their wedding planning. They simply put, need to fire Imagine Weddings. It has been 2 full weeks since I have left Club Med and I have still not seen my wedding photos that I paid nearly $1000 for. Plus, I found out once on site that I could have simply paid the Club Med photographers separately, got a better deal, and had a CD in hand at the time of departure. Absolutely disgraceful. I will say this, when it came down to the Club Med organized stuff, wow. The food was great, the drinks were great, my group had a ton of fun with all of the activities and night club every day. At the end of the week, no one was unhappy. For the money, you can't get a better vacation. I will say this about the wedding setup. We were the only wedding there the entire week. On our flight home, we met some folks who stayed at Dreams and said there were like a dozen weddings that week. I can't imagine that, and I would have felt totally not special being in a crowd of wedding groups. If you are thinking about planning a wedding in Punta Cana, I would pick Club Med again. Next time, I would call Barq, the head of the village, directly and ask them to coordinate something for us without ever involving their third party "exclusive" wedding planners. I'm sure we would have paid half as much and got a 5 times better experience. Here's what I will say about Imagine Weddings in their favor. Their on site planner, Jose, it pretty darn good. We really didn't have a bad experience with him except that we had no idea how we were getting our wedding photos at the time of our departure, and we hadn't been told anything from Imagine. Their offsite coordinator, Liz, is unbelievably bad. Every single member of my wedding group said that she was difficult to reach, never got back to them, and made multiple mistakes including double charging nearly every person's credit card. In fact, our wedding itself had not been finalized until a few days before the actual event and it was hardly a complicated ordeal.

You may be asking yourself, now why did this reviewer give this place 5 stars after all these negative comments? Well, simply put, the Club Med is awesome, Barq is awesome, the staff are amazing, the food is terrific, the price is great, etc. It's a great vacation if you are a relaxed, outgoing person who likes to be outside and enjoy yourself. Their wedding planners are about a 2 star experience, sure, but I still wouldn't have changed our destination. It was really a perfect place and a perfect week, with the exception of Imagine Weddings. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Punta Cana.

I have this comment for Club Med. Please send Barq to Club Med Kani in the Maldives. We want him there at our next trip. He's the best chef de village and has made both our trip to Punta Cana, as well as our previous Club Med trip to Columbus Isle, an unbelievable experience.

Room Tip: Either stay in the cheapest rooms or the 5-trident part of the resort. The upgrade from basic room t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ScubaClubMedFan
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear ScubaClubMedFan,
We're so pleased that you had a wonderful wedding week and that you found our staff, dining, and service to be terrific. We are especially thankful for your suggestions as we are always searching for ways to improve and appreciate any feedback our guests may share. We apologize for the concerns you addressed; thank you very much for bringing these issues to our attention. Thank you again for sharing about your wedding; we can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed at the resort in May based on the reviews on this site we did not take advantage of the kids club and our kids still got sick and were diagnosed with coxsakie viruse when we got back to the states. This place is filthy to say the least. The rooms are in desperate need of renovation. They are not cleaned properly and there are bugs everywhere. The pools are also not cleaned. The tables at the restaurants especially the espaniola are almost never properly disinfected. The dishes are not properly cleaned. The food served is either with no flavor or extremely salty. The staff is not helpful at all, even though they appear to make an effort to be friendly. This whole vacation was a disappointment after another. If you have been a club med member for a while and have visited other resorts like we have (cancun and Bahamas) you would be extremely disappointed with the level of service received at club med punta Cana and you will leave the resort in desperate need of medical attention. Do not take your kids here!!!

• Stayed: May 2012
10  Thank Clubmedpuntacanasuck
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I have heard so many great things about Club Med being the best and I would say it was good, but not quite as great as I expected for all the talk.
We didnt love the food, would have liked more a la carte choices. Many people in our group got sick, not sure if it was the food, water, or just a virus going around.
We loved our room and view! The private infinity pool was really nice, as was the beach!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tara J
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear Tara J,
While we're thrilled you enjoyed our beach, infinity pool, and more, we deeply apologize that your recent trip to our Punta Cana resort did not meet all of your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, and we will be looking further into your comments about our food. We hope your next Club Med vacation is not just good - but great!