“Nice Relaxing Time at The Reserve”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #25 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 November 2010

I had read a lot of negative reviews before leaving on this trip and almost switched hotels, but I'm glad that we stayed here. We took a quick 5 day trip right before Thanksgiving to get a break from work and some warm weather before the crazy holidays. The entire resort was seemed about half full. The Reserve is a quieter smaller section and I highly recommend booking a room there as opposed to the larger resort area. I'm pretty well traveled for work and play (15 countries) and have stayed at a variety of hotel classes and styles. The Reserve was a very good value for the money - it's not the Four Seasons, but you're not paying for the Four Seasons either! The hotel room (luxury master suite w jacuzzi) was larger than most 1 bedroom condos in NYC. It was clean, comfortable and stylish. The entire Reserve staff was really nice and helpful - the service at the Gabi club for breakfast buffet was much much better than the buffet service at the regular resort restaurant. Smaller and more personalized service and generally the same foods. The attendant at the Reserve beach, Maker, hustled to keep us comfie and happy on the beach with an endless flow of drinks and towels. The beach is beautiful and clean! It was very windy so we weren't able to enjoy the beach as much as I would have liked - apparently November is a windy month!
The distance from the beach (maybe 1/2 mile) was not an issue - we walked as much as we could (exercise to work off the food!!!) and the trams were available most of the time. They even stopped while we were walking to see if we wanted to hop in.
Food - well it could have been better. We never had any issue getting a table at the a la carte restaurants and the service was always good. The menus were varied but I found they tried to be too inventive and probably should have been more basic - as a result we really only like about half of what we ordered; we should have sent some things back. Gabi club was good, Vita was very good, Ciel was good (small warm water lobster but tasty) - I wish we had more time to try Vento, Rodizio and Terra. Was not impressed with the food at Romantico (again - tried too hard!).
Regarding "bugs" of various types - I was really concerned about picking up a bug from the food or water (and the cholera outbreak in neighboring Haiti). Many many years ago I picked up a major bacterial virus in Mexico - so I know what I'm talking about. We had no issue with any illness, but did follow common sense rules: drink bottled water, brush teeth w bottled water, eat cooked foods on the hotel premise only, wash your hands alot. We did eat a raw DR coconut that a gardener cut open for us at the pool and lived to tell... I recommend bringing hand sanitizer, bug spray, sunscreen, first aid things, etc. just in case. You'll pay through the nose at the lobby shop. Since this wasn't the very rainy season (Summer through Fall is hot, wet, humid), we didn't have a problem with bugs - outside or in the room.
Time Shares/Tour Operators and other Hawkers - hey, everyone needs a job! You will be approached often but just state that you're not interested and want to enjoy your vacation time and people will respect that. I found St. Maarten and Aruba to be worse with hawkers as a reference point.
Tours, etc. - We did the dune buggy ride - it was fun and dirty and a little on the unsafe side - so try to pick a tour operator that has decent equipment and if your buggy isn't operating right - tell them you want another (we almost hit a telephone pole due to bad steering). Would have like to snorkel but the water was rough. We walked into the little "town" right outside of the complex and had fun haggling for souvenirs and cigars (buy the Aurturo Feuntes!). Our trip air, hotel & shuttle and tours were arranged through Covacations (and Turissimo locally for DR shuttle and tours) and we didn't have any real issues with that service. If you don't like to wait for other people - get a private transfer; we lucked out because we were traveling at odd times and had our own van. They do want to sell you tours and the dune buggy ride was like $5 more than another tour co located at the desk near them.
Final recommendations: book the Reserve! the grounds are beautiful and just walking around the entire resort is relaxing. The entertainment is decent for an all inclusive but I agree it should start an hour earlier. If you don't like your meal, send it back and get something else (that will send a message). Stay from Dec - April for ideal beach weather. Remember - there's a reason why there's a "high season" and "low season" and the people on the island can't control that. PLEASE TIP FOR GOOD SERVICE - I know it's "all inclusive" but some staff try harder than others and your tips are really appreciated and just may make your stay a little more comfortable :-)

5  Thank MSWorldTraveler25
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for let us know about your recent stay at Paradisus Punta Cana , It is truly a satisfaction for us to learn that you enjoyed The Reserve and had the best vacations, that makes us feel very proud of our property and the service from our staff, that contributes to experience a wonderful stay.

At the Paradisus Punta Cana we have the commitment to provide quality service beyond our guest’s expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence in service.
Once more, thank you for your valuable comments. We are looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you here at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort.

The Management

Reviewed 16 November 2010

My now husband and I travelled down to this resort at the beginning of November with over 100 family members and friends for our wedding. It was a little bit scary to pick a resort for our wedding, knowing we would have a large group go down with us and the variety of different guests and expectations that they would have. We chose this one because it seemed to have a little bit of everything for everyone and we weren't wrong.

We were so happy with our week long trip and even more happy with the wedding. All of our guests absolutely loved the resort. Some stayed in the Reserve others didn't but they all had nothing but good things to say to us about the resort we picked. My husband and I were upgraded to the Reserve, which was an absolutely beautiful part and quiet. But the other rooms most of our guests were at were just as nice (maybe a little bit "tired" but still nice and roomy - they were also closer to the beach and main pool). The staff were great - absolutely no complaints - we ordered room service all the time and they were fantastic, just a little bit slow.

The beach, main pool, and reserve pool were all beautiful and tons of fun. The lobby bar was a great place for us all to meet for drinks afterwards and for those of us who wanted to continue after that closed - there was the casino and disco! The food was good. I can't say it was the best. The buffet was the same every day. Get the pizza to go! My guests would just order numerous pizza's and bring them to the beach or rooms.

The wedding day was more than we could have ever asked for. We held the ceremony on the beach and than we privatized the Luna restaurant for the reception, which was worth the extra $$ if you have a very large group like we did (114 guests). I was really worried about dealing with the Wedding Planners on the resort after reading some reviews and hearing of other weddings but honestly - we had no problems. Miguelina worked with us and she was helpful. A few things here and there weren't what we had asked for (wrong colour ribbons, missing corsage etc) but our travel agent wedding planner from home flew down with us so she was able to work out all the kinks that needed to be dealt with with Miguelina on the wedding day. The other details that couldn't be changed after the fact were so minor it really didn't matter in comparison to the entire day.

All in all - we wouldn't have done it any other way. We are completely satisfied with our resort pick and have memories to last a life time.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2010

Dear Guest,

First of all, our congratulations on this new step on your life, we hope that your love story continues forever and love increase every day.

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort for you Wedding day, and would like to express our thanks for your valuable comments, we must say that we experience a great satisfaction when we receive so many memorable remarks from our valuable guests; it gives us the approval and the energy to keep going all the way long and becomes a reward to us since our main purpose is to fulfill and most of all exceed our guests needs and wishes.

The Managment.

Reviewed 15 November 2010

This hotel was awful. This was, by far, the worst vacation of my entire life.

What was wrong with the room:
Still dirty when we arrived (at 4:30 pm!)
3 Broken outlets
Two broken bedside lamps
Broken Phone
Broken Hair Dryer
Broken Coffee Machine
Paint chips falling off of the ceiling onto the floor/furniture/our luggage
Broken Blinds
No door for the bathroom
Clogged sink and shower drains
Too much furniture in the room (it felt more like a storage closet)
Roaches in room

The hotel is also split into the regular rooms and the "Reserve Rooms." We were there for a wedding and half of the wedding was upgraded for free to the reserve and the other half was not. They also segregate the areas, so you can't go to their beach, use their pool, or order drinks from their bar. Not great for a big group of people that has been segregated.

We contacted the front desk and asked to be moved after all of these problems and they told us it would be a $140 charge AFTER the discount. Yet they upgraded 10 of our friends for free.

My friend got married here, as I mentioned earlier, and got her hair done at the salon. It was POURING raining (hurricane Tomas) and they REFUSED to bring her back to her room in a covered vehicle. Instead they made her sit in the shuttle (which was open, which means you get SOAKED if it is raining) while they drove around the ENTIRE resort picking up and dropping of people before dropping her two blocks from her room. The wedding planner obviously is at fault here. The car to take her to the ceremony was also an hour late which means she was late for her own wedding.

At the ceremony itself this wedding planner and a couple of other employees were making so much noise we missed half of the vows. The entire back row was turning around indicating that they needed to be quiet and they just kept on talking. It got to the point that two guests got up, walked back there and told them to shut up, that they were ruining what was supposed to be an intimate and serene moment and they LAUGHED and continued on. The guy pouring champagne for after the ceremony was throwing empty bottles into the trash can which was also, obviously, making a racket during the ceremony.

After the ceremony concluded, my husband went up to this wedding planner and told her that it was absolutely rude and inappropriate to talk loudly during the entire ceremony and she said that she had done plenty of weddings and no one ever complained before. You mean, you don't feel like apologizing? Then when my husband walked away she yelled "THANK YOU, THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR." The whole situation was like being on a hidden camera TV show it was that awful and offensive.

We paid $629 for two nights at this terrible resort and it wasn't worth $100. I URGE YOU TO NEVER EVER WASTE YOUR TIME AT THIS PLACE! THE EXCELLENCE AT PUNTA CANA IS MUCH BETTER!

Reviewed 15 November 2010

My girfriend and I booked a stay at the Paradisus Punta Cana after we were unable to get booked at their other location there - Paradisus Palma Real. I have traveled around the Carribean quite a bit but this was my girlfriend's first time to the area. The location is beautiful and they have a really nice beach. The staff is generally friendly and helpful even those with limited English skills. We had an all-inclusive package. Most of the food was unimpressive and the servings are small at most restaurants (except the buffets). This resort is showing its age (15 years old) and could use a makeover. The Palma Real property is only 2 years old and I understand is much nicer overall, although I we did not get to see it firsthand. Towels seemed to be in short supply and the jacuzzi tub in our room lacked a stopper to hold water. Thankfully I never plan to spend a lot of time in my room. The resort offers a number of excursions that you can take. We went on a truck safari (which had the best local food of the entire trip) and we also went snorkeling. It rained for at least two days while there and the place has poor drainage that pooled water in the walkways making moving around difficult -unless you wait around for one of their trams. On our last night there, the final insult happened at one of their restaurants. After dinner, my girlfiend left her purse behind accidentally ( bad move) and when we got back it was still in the same place but all her money was gone. We are 99.9% sure the staff was involved in the theft since we the the last patrons there. The security person they sent to investigate didn't speak any English. Yes the same thing could have happened anywhere, but we were warned to make sure to secure any valuables while visiting Punta Cana. All in all, If I were to return I would probably look at a different location.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelingman_5809

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to post your impressions and feedback about your trip.

We guarantee that at Paradisus Punta Cana you will receive the Pure Freedom experience.

Notwithstanding, we have no control over objects left in public areas, where all public access, we must clarify that we are fully confident in our staff, we are a safe hotel, where quality and honesty of our staff will make possible a higher quality service, this reason make us proud to have a 40% level of returning customers that each year enjoy the our facilities and services.

Finally, although we understand that this type of situation is not normal at Paradisus Punta Cana, we ask you to contact us directly and at this way, we can make the proper follow up.

Once more, thank you for your valuable comments.

The Managment

Reviewed 13 November 2010

Friends of ours have been going tto the Paradisus Punta Cana for years and would go each January. Two years ago we decided to join them. Six of us went to the Paradisus in January 2009. Grounds were pretty, food was good and the staff was friendly. We had fun and decided to go back again in January 2010. Well...it was very different in 2010 than in 2009. Food was not that great. Service was still good. This year we brought 10 people with us. We had booked our rooms through the hotel directly and we spent thousands of dollars at their hotel and could not even get a transfer to and from the airport. We had to pay extra for the transfers. The shows at night were not great at all. Not much to do at night. The beaches are beautiful. We did do the dune buggy tours and that was fun. But be careful because this was our second time doing the dune buggy tour and the buggys are not well maintained and were constantly breaking down, getting flat tires and catching on fire, which cut our tour short. The pool at this facility is beautiful and it is very clean. We all noticed the difference in the food quality and entertainment and we have decided to not go back this year. We decided to try a different island this year for our group vacation.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends