“Watch the Time/share Sales Pitch!!!!!”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 July 2007

As everyone says, the hotel and grounds are beautiful. The vacation over all was a memorable one, but the food was just okay. Breakfast and lunch buffets were good, but the restaraunts weren't so good, they are hot, and they were very slow. The room service was even slower, and I couldn't get them to deliver a beer to the room thru service or the mini bar... which had only water, and couldn't get them to restock even the sodas.

The "included" excursions were hard to do, everything had a waiting list. The batting cage/archery never opened on time, and remember to wear long pants and shoes for horseback riding or your not going (no one informed us when signing up)

I also left some pictures behind that we had taken, and could not get a call back or e-mail response from any of my inquires. Poor customer service! Speaking of.....when we first arrived, they were up our butts with smiles and helping. They even hounded us until we listened to their buy a timeshare/membership routine the 2nd day we were there, after we declined, so did the service and smiles. It's almost like they see the braclet that you have to wear for the all-inclusive, so they slow food, drink down, so you won't get too much for your money. They even collected the bracelets you left....how cheap!!! I was really blown away by having to sit thru a sales pitch on my VACATION!!!!!!!!!!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SRobey

Reviewed 5 July 2007

Ok, Here is my unbiased american view. We booked this through an online travel agency; Sunset Travel, who was cheaper than expedia. Actually excellent!!! As for the Paradisus Punta Cana:
There were 2 families in our party with 3 kids 8,7,and 5. Hotel lobby is gorgeous. No wait at checkin whatsoever. Had my first all-inclusive cocktail. Beware... ask for name brand or you will get call. We were escorted to our room, which was suprisingly clean and large. We tipped everyone. 5 to the bellboy and room service as well as the maid, 5 at dinner, and 1 at the bar after ever other round. Because of this we were treated like kings. The bartenders would fill our drinks before they were empty, and serve us first. We did find a roach in the room, but I was given spray. We had more water given to us than needed as well. Again tips go a long way.AS for the beach...WOW. The sand was like flour, so fine and white. Wading in the beach in the morning was unbeleivable.Waters very warm. The vendors on the beach are psky at the waters edge, but not allowed to come up to you, and need to stay away from the resort. If you make no eye contact they leave you alone. Every morning the beach is raked as well. As for the pool, it was a bit too warm, but still really nice. Swim up bar is busy at times, but a nice feature. Now to the restauruants. I am a picky person. The breakfast buffet at the Hybiscus is ok at best. Many things I had no idea what they were and they did not tast good. This place caters to numerous nations. For lunch the buffet at sea side is great! Or you can have a decent burger and fries at the grill.For dinner we ate at the Mexican 5 out of 10 stars, Italian 7 out of 10, seafood, 8 out of 10, chinese, 5 out of 10, japanese, 8 out of 10, brazilian 8 out of 10. There is a dress code. Again if you keep in mind this is an all inclusive resort, and the food is probably from the best stock available, you will not be dissapointed. The service was impeccable, everywhere! The Dominican people I met were so nice and friendly. I was reminded of this when I got back to Ohare and met the everyday folks who are so important to themselves. We Scuba'd 5 times. The folks at scub caribbe are great too . The dive sites are a bit boring. The reef seeme to be dead or dying?? But still lots of fish.
The only thing I was a bit disappointed in was the Kid's club. We are very protective though. Their hours are 10-12 and 1-2. Not real condusive. We did use on site sitters who worked out great as well. Every Night we went to the shows, which were nice.
I have read several reviews on this site before going. I was amazed at some of the negative ones. I did see people not tip, and maybe they got treated rudely?? I probably spent $200 on tips in a week. That included 15 each dive. I was treated like a King. Now if I had to pay for the food, I would have given it a more critical review.
We loved this place so much we have told every one to try it. We will be going back as soon as we can!

3  Thank mikesnowman
Reviewed 4 July 2007

First off, let me say this website has the best selection of reviews, and more importantaly, current ones. I have been reading reveiws weekly since Jan. when I booked my trip. My advice, read them, and keep in mind, EVERYONE is different. If I kept reading some of the reveiws, I may have never have gone here, but am glad I did. Get your self a rum and coke, and I will tell you my thoughts. My trip was for 7 nights begining June 24th.

I apoligize in advance for my spelling, sorry.

Royal Service VS regular rates: I booked RS, and personally for me it was worth it. HOWEVER, if you think RS is going to be the treatment Eddie Murphy got in "coming to America", with young dominican girls throwing rose pedals at your feet and bathing you, its not that kind of service. Bottom line, take the cost of standard rate rooms and RS, compare the 2 and ask your self it is worth the price for: private pool area, no kids, private check in-out, (inside with AC), private beach area, ( they bring drinks out to you in this area as well), private area iniside for breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snacks, butler, couple of extra perks like a pillow menu, (See pic of bath tub), extra help with reservations, internet. I may have missed something, but those are the main things, put a price on that, and you decide. moving on.

Checking in: I STRONGLY SUGGEST, WHATEVER PAPER WORK YOU GET FROM YOUR TRAVEL AGENT OR WEB SITE YOU BOOK, MAKE SURE IT SAYS EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR, ie., number of nights, type of room, RS or NOT , ocean front, etc. This was the ONLY problem I encounterd on my trip, as I went through Vaction Express, my confirmation only said "7 nights confirmed". When we got to the RS check in, he had no idea we were staying there, as my paper work did not say so.?? However, the guy was VERY nice, did not send us anywhere different, just had to come off the beach the next day and make sure it all worked out with the VE, and it did. Kind of ticked me off, but it was NOT the hotels fault in my opinion.

FOOD: If you have read any prior reviews, you probably got the same things, OK, not Great. I never went hungry the whole week, you just have to keep in mind, where you are. People who said the italian was bad, most came from new york, where they get GREAT Italian food? Those who did not like the suishi at the japanese place were from out west, where they probably get GREAT suishi. The mexican place had fajitas, but don't expect a domincian guy to come out with smoking - sizziling plate and telling you "Don't touch plate, hot plate", I think you get my drift here. Hybiscus breakfast buffet, I compared it to any Hilton sunday brunch in any big city. LOTS of choices. My wife and I decided the smaller version of this in the RS lounge was enough for us. In the AC, you were kind of waited on with the staff, and a large selection of meats and cheese there, pastry, expresso, bacon , sausage, eggs, omeletes if you asked, pancakes, french toast, PLENTY, and oh yes, Champagne for a mimosa!!

I won't waste time reveiwing every restraunt, email me if you want some specifics, not a great place if you are a vegitarian. Deserts every place were great. Just be open minded, and relax. moving on. On that note, be sure you get a list of the rest. closings. There are I think 8 or 9 places, but 1 or 2 close a day. In additon, the rest. are open from 7-10, and everyone tries to eat at the same time. My advice, either go early or after 9. They take a list at each place with your room number, and there are plenty of places to continue your drinking, buzz, while you wait. It was never to long, and your on VACATION, RELAX!!!!!!!

People: I met some great people on this trip from all over the country. Don't be shy , make so new friends. Age group is from children to Seniors. Being the end of June, lots of honey mooners. Everyone we talked to was nice.

Booze: Ok guys, here was the list: Beer: ONLY presidente ( DR beer, not bad) in bottles, cans and draft., Heineken bottles, and every once and a while I saw a guy with a Becks??
Gin: Tanq. and Beefeater
Vodka: Absolute and Stoli
Scotch: Dewars, chivas, Johny walker and a couple of others, nice seletion
Bourban: Not a good seletion- Jim Beam and CC.
Rum: They have only DR rum, Ron Barcelo. they had a low end, a anjeo, and my favorite the "IMPERIAL" Great straight!!
Lots of other top shelf liquours, dramboie, gran marn., etc.
They have a frozen drink machine evrywhere with a Pina colad and a "Paradisus" fruity mix. Bartenders will make what ever you want, and as strong as you want it
Wine: The wines I saw all came from Spain and Argentina, and I think I saw some from chilie. Not bad, juts not really high end in my opinon, but I still drank plenty. They also had Cristallano Sparkling, and 1 french brand I was not familiar with.

Smokes: All the marl. red and lights you want, FREE, I did not see any free cigars?

Casino: go for fun, not to win. They had 1 or 2 black jack tables, 1 roulete, and about 25 slot machines, all are .25. The first night I actually won about 75 $, but my wife immedately grabbed the bucket and started playing, and it became a donation. We had fun. There is a HUGE casino just next door, I did not go to gamble, but if you do, I would probably go in there.

Securtiy: I felt safe the enire time, there are security guys on the beach and in side the resort. My wife went in early a couple of nights and the tram takes you right to your room. No problems.

Room: About the size of any Hilton. My king bed was fine, just like in most of the pictures you see. Bathroom kind of small, my shower was PLENTY hot and would about knock me down with pressure, guess I got lucky going off of other reviews. nice balcony that over looked the ocean. For the amount of time I spent in here, it was fine with me. I had no problems with bugs? No mildew? Mini fridge that is in the room, tried its best to keep the drinks cold, but ordering a bucket of ice each day , you may want to do this to ice down beer or water. The AC worked great, no problems.

Staff: EVERYONE says hello, "HOLA", everyone was nice, if your drink goes empty they fill it, NOBODY had there hands out for tips, but a dollar here and there goes a long way. I tipped when I thought the person was exceptional and deserved something extra. I had read in prior reviews things dissappearing. I had no issues, but took not chances either, used the room safe, and sometimes used my travel lock on my suitcase. I did not hear of anyone during my time with any type of problems. when I got there, I put my wallet and passport in the safe, and walked around all week with just a money clip and room key, it was nice!

Weather and attire: it rained a couple of times during the week, and only at night, sometimes I never knew it rained. It was hot. All week long you kind of just sweat. I am sure the amount of alch. I consumed did not help the matter. So dress comfortable. I did not see to many people get VERY dressy, you have to wear pants to 4 places, Romantico, Sakura, and supposed to wear them in the Mexican and Rodizio ( Brazilian), as these are in the AC.

Grounds- beach: Beautifull!! You can see my pics, beach and grounds area were great, NO trash anywhere!! Pool was great, see pics of the RS area as well. strong breeze off the water makes you think you are not getting sun as you stay cool, but DO NOT bee fooled. RS beach has "Lizardo" bringing out drinks and an ocassional fruit tray, This guy was awsome. If you want to be a geek like me, pack a foam coozey-hugger for your beer, helped out a litte, as it is so hot, the drinks just do not stay cool long. After about 2 or 3 or 20 Cuba libres, you can lay down on one of the beach beds , and its lights out!!! I took some power naps, so relaxing. and oh yeah, there are folks from Europe who love ther speedos and topless beach attire. Unfortunately, it seemed to be all the wrong people topless and Homer Simpson look alikes in the speedos. Sorry folks.

Excurison: I went on the monster truck. see pics. I did this to break up the all day beach days, it was fun, but not sure if I would do it again. I get to see the country side, see pics, and the people. The truck was fun to ride in as well. I would be happy to go in depth on this if you want to go, send me an email. I give it a 7 out of 10. HOWEVER, I give a 10 out of 10 for the FREE, snorkling at the resort. They go every day, for about an hour or so, and WED. they go a little further up the coast, and feed you lunch on a beach, This is what was the best, as you would not believe how clear the water was, and amount of fish you see, and the colors of them, words can not describe. Take a roll or 2 from the buffet, and the fish will come all around you. TAKE A UNDERWATER CAMERA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I only thought to do this. AWSOME!!!!!

Ok, I am starting to ramble here, I will wind this down:

Likes: Just read above, thought it was great

diss likes: The folks at the resort wanting to sell you time shares and other crap. I personally did not think a resort of this caliber should conduct business like this, just my opinion. Just look away or say no thank you. out side of that, I thought the resort was great. Bartering is a way of life there, so if you go to a shop, or the markets located in either direction down the beach, about a 15 or so min. walk, or around the corner from the hotel, be prepared for this, if you don't like this, stay away. Everything is 100 bucks, and on the way out, its 5.

I hope the above helps you in your decision, but all in all, had one of the best, relaxing vacations in my life. I would be happy to swap emails with anyone if you have any other questions, or concerns. Have a great summer, travel safe.!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
16  Thank YO_Boracho
Reviewed 2 July 2007

Beware of the Dolphin Island tour. Soncho the dolphin attacked me and bite me for no apparent reason. The staff poured alcohol on the bites and cuts and refused to let me out of the water until after the dolphins finished their routine. They did not want to confuse the dolphins. Sorry, I was the one attacked. It was my 25th anniversary and the dolphin spoiled the trip. I had to get shots when I returned from DR on Monday June 25th and I am still taking antibiotics. I loved everything about DR and Paridusis except the dolphins. I can't even get my money back. I am planning on posting the attack pictures and my bloody arm, chest and back so as to warn all parents not to allow their children to swim with "Soncho" the dolphin at Dolphin Island.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank DennyTexas
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My family just returned from Paradisus. First, I want to thank all the reviewers. Thanks to them, we were COMPLETELY prepared. I really knew what to expect, what to bring and what to do. The place is beautiful. Lush with vegetation and immaculately groomed. The pool is unbelievable. It winds and twists with several "hidden corners." We were able to stay in the shade while the kids, ages 5 and 8, swam around. The bar scene was lively but completely-kid friendly. Bring goggles-the pool's well-chlorinated.

The beach-again gorgeous. Clear greenish-blue water with enough surf to satisfy the sailors in my family. We did grab chairs under the protective cabana/trees after breakfast, but there were always some shaded seats available.

The help, great. Even when they didn't understand us they tried. One service attendent called the front desk and used them as a translator when he was having trouble with our Spanish (or lack there of.) Many spoke English.

The food. We loved the breakfast buffet. It's sort of a Euro/Latino mix. A roomful of breads and rolls. A large choice of sweet rolls and bread as well. Inside an a/c room, sliced meats, cheeses, fruits, eggs cooked to order (tell Bernardo the omelette guy we say hi), hot cereal, potatoes, plantains, bacon and the like. My spoiled American children had trouble with the milk-it's all ultra-pausterized. Very safe to drink, but thicker and sweeter than our pasteurized milk. Luckily, with the help of some wonderful servers, they discovered the pleasures of cold limonada and hot chocolate. At lunch, we feasted on salads, roasted meats, pasta and fresh fish cooked to order. This is where my kids got their big meal at the cooked to order pasta station. Dinner was a bit of a let-down. None of it was great. The steakhouse was probably the best followed by the Mexican. Skip the Chinese, not my favorite. Except for grilled meat and the chicken strips at the steak place, there was little for the kids or anyone who prefers to eat simply. Fill up at lunch and take dinner in its stride.

The room was nice, but we felt a little cramped. Next time I'd look into the brand-new 1 bedrooms opening this summer. Our room was a tight squeeze-especially for our clothes. Also the room, especially the bathroom, could use an update. We brought lysol and were glad to have it. Also, we had trouble getting really hot water during peak times.

Bring plenty of sunscreen, we went through almost everything we brought. Bug spray-the bugs feasted on my son the first night until we realized we needed to proactively spray the kids. Have plenty of small bills to tip the zillions of people who help you. Make sure to return to the lobby to hang out in its beautiful public spaces and at its bar. Don't miss the Mediterranean-style beach bar. Visit the zoo and say "Ola" to the parrot. Skip the march down the beach to the flea market. It's a long walk and on Friday nights the best of the market sets up shop outside the restaurant area.

And relax. For the money, this is a great find. I was horrified by the beach (and the crowd) in front of the Princess resort on our way to the flea market. I was so HAPPY to get back to Paradisus!

3  Thank swsnv