“Return to Paradise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Detroit, Michigan
“Return to Paradise”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My wife and I visited the Reserve at Paradisus in September of last year, for a long weekend. We decided to go back this year and experience the Resort for a full week. The environment was filled with flowers and well manicured lawns. We never experienced long lines or delays when going for meals. The waitstaff were very attentive and actually made us feel very special. Would like to mention Ylandra Sanchez, Yosely Sosa and Yulissa De La Rosa for the special attention and service at The Gabi Restaurant. The Pool and Beach service was also excellent. Many thanks to Luis Santana, Juan Diaz and Emilio Valdez for serving me the Mamajuana! The food and the many choices at the restaurants made choosing almost fun. Everything was cooked to perfection. Would not hesitate to recommend this Resort to my friends. We will be going back again very soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrMamajuana55
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for letting us know that you have a good experience during your vacations at our Resort- The Reserve. You have to know that here in Paradisus Punta Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guest’s expectations.
I appreciate that you took the time to write and let us know your coments on the staff and the hotel.
I look forward to hosting you again at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort.

Francisco Castillo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,200)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I apologize in advance for this drawn out review but given the cause of our stay (i.e., wedding), length of stay (> 10 days), and number of guests (approx 70-80 from the US), we have a review of various aspects of the hotel, including reviews from our wedding guests. I have organized this post by topic to save some of the reader's time.

Resort Location and Grounds -
The resort is a huge tract of land and there is constant buzz of the maintenance team to continuously upkeep the flora and fauna. The resort provides transportation via golf carts to those who request it but be prepared to wait. My grandmother came and we would either call ahead or wait an avg of 10 minutes for the carts to come around. For the more able bodied (or sober depending on your activities), walking is a healthy option and one can walk from the lobby to the beach in approximately 10-15 minutes. This is one resort that allows there guests the opportunity to work off all those meals and drinks with a nice walk through the grounds.

Room Service / House Keeping -
Room Service and House Keeping were average in my opinion. Room service was slow and they would sometimes limit the number of beers we could order to the room. That was a bit aggravating on my wedding day when the groomsmen wanted to have pizza and beer in the room and were told that we could only have 10 beers for 8 guys. That said, my aforementioned grandmother ordered room service every morning and lunch and she raved about it every day. By the 3rd or 4th day they remembered her name, her order and her preferences. Housekeeping was average as well. Our bathroom was cleaned every day however they didn't touch our living room (in the Reserve). This could have been because we had wedding favors laying around but I would have assumed empty champagne bottles would have been picked up. The best thing about these services were the luggage carts and baggage attendants. We had almost 10 bags (4 large suitcases, 2 sets of golf clubs, a hockey duffle bag and carry-ons) due to the wedding favors, tux, dress, etc. and the attendants took care of everything once we arrived and on departure date. It was a great start to the Paradisus experience after driving in from Santo Domingo.

Check In/Check Out -
This was a bit frustrating but remember, you are on vacation...RELAX! I would suggest packing a small bag with your bathing suit and sun block so you can relax by the pool/beach while your room is being prepared. Rooms were typically available starting around 3 or 4pm and plenty of guests were very angry with the wait. Chances are you will also have to wait so get ready for it. It's all about expectations.

Wedding -
We were married on March 24, 2012 and our coordinators were extremely helpful the entire time. My wife is uber-organized and would ask questions on a daily basis (and sometimes hourly) and the coordinators, Jennifer Alvarez (our main coordinator extraordinaire), Elizabeth Santos and Miguelina Martinez were also there to help. Our wedding was large given it was a destination wedding and I believe it was the 2nd largest wedding ever held at Paradisus Punta Cana. The coordinators had their hands full and made sure the ceremony went off without a hitch. We held our ceremony at the beach, cocktail hour in a long corridor by the ballroom and our reception in the ballroom. The wedding party and a majority of the guests were carted from the ceremony to the cocktail hour so they could maximize their drinking/entertainment. During our reception, the coordinators and the parents of the bride surprised us with a fire dancing team and a "hora loca" which is a Dominican wedding custom, which was planned on one day’s notice. My wife and I decided to use external photographers and florists so I won't opine on them in this post. My main suggestion for planning a wedding at the resort is make sure you discuss details and ask specific questions. Also, confirm details very clearly because sometimes things are lost in translation.

Bartenders/Staff -
The bartenders and wait staff during our stay were amazing. Kelvin was a bartending machine and always made sure our cups were filled. He knew most of us by first name by the end of the trip and we even made a special request that he work at our wedding (which the hotel agreed). We also were provided great service from Wilkson at the steak restaurant at our rehearsal dinner and he also worked our wedding. These two helped make our wedding trip more memorable and are just examples of the great staff at the resort.

Food/Beverages -
We heard good and bad reviews about all the restaurants and those depend on personal tastes and choices. As I mentioned before, it is all about expectations. I thought the food was good at all restaurants, certain meals better than others but I also wasn't expecting 5 star meals. You are on a tropical island, all inclusive resort. Don't expect Michelin quality meals.

My final opinion - I thought the food at the Paradisus was the best food I've had at any of the all-inclusive resorts I've been to in the past (4 in total). This was also the only resort that I felt they didn't water down there alcohol. Our guests, myself included, were definitely feeling the liquor and mama juana shots; Kelvin made sure of that.

Overall Experience -
We loved our trip to the Paradisus and we had a great wedding experience. We are already planning another trip back for our 1 year anniversary and have had several wedding guests agree to the next trip. It was a beautiful resort with great staff but be sure to set the correct expectations on service, food and personal service. You will see the true meaning on "island time" as some things are slow but as long as you are willing to adjust to their lifestyle, you will have a great experience at this resort.

Room Tip: If you prefer a more low-key vacation or would like to avoid the main "party" pool, I sugg...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Marc W
Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to post such grate comments following your wedding here at Paradisus Punta Cana.
From all of the team of Paradisus Punta Cana, "Wishing you all the love and happiness in the world and congratulations on your marriage."
I look forward to hosting you again at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort.

Bristol, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This trip started out very nice beautiful resort beautiful beaches ... Until the concierge wouldn't take no for an answer wouldn't stop hounding us to sit thru a 90 min presentation. After telling him we wouldn't be doing it we were treated very poorly. If I was told this by expedia I would have never booked at paradisus. Very disappointed w this vacation. Be careful people. Thanks Ben van horn. Just got home 2hrs ago.

Room Tip: Be prepared to be stalked to sit through a timeshare presentation !!!! Place is absolutely beautif...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ben V
, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Ben,

First of all I would like to thank you for airing your feedback, please know that this is very important for us because it help us to know the experiences that our guest had.
On the other hand, I will like for you to accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you had. I can assure you that your comment was sent to our vacation club manager to make sure he knows your inconveniences and took the measure needed to prevent this to happen in the future to come.
Please understand that it is our commitment to make everyday a unique experience.
Rest of assure that we are acting upon your feedback. If there is anything that you feel that I may assist you with and you wish to discuss it privately, please do not hesitate and contact me at calidad2.paradisus.punta.cana@solmelia.com

Regards,

Vancouver
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Best trip of my life! The food was great, service and the resort itself were wonderful! We stayed on the Reserve side which was amazing but the entire resort was great and I had the best massage ever in the spa! Highly recommended and will be going back asap!

Room Tip: We had the garden view, which was great since we could also see the pool =)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tina B
NY
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was very nervous going to this hotel from past reviews that i have read before going on my trip. My trip ended up being fantastic, I went with 12 other friends and stayed for 8 days and 7 nights. The only thing I can complain about was the dinner reservations noone would make any for all 13 of us until after 9 and they were very rude. At dinner they were all very slow and rude to all of us.

Everything else in the hotel was awesome. Juan Cruz at the swim up bar was amazing and such an awesome guy. He dealt with all 13 of us every day at the swim up bar and always got us what we wanted! Juan also always put the songs on at the pool that we all enjoyed.

Next employee that was amazing,Romeo and without him our trip would have never been the same. Romeo had a smile on his face at all times every single day. He made our trip very entertained and always doing something fun. Romeo helped and taught us many things and without him at the hotel our trip would have not been as pleasent. Romeo and the others at the pool always were playing games with us and teaching us dances at the pool and main lobby. Romeo is an outstanding worker and he became a friend to all of us.

I would like to make another trip to Paradisus for a future vacation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3.7 km away
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
0.0 km away
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK