“Feels like home! Lovin it!”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #26 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I spent our 35th wedding anniversary at this hotel in April. We chose it based on the fact that we fell in love with it during our first visit the prior November - that we returned 6 months later as we missed the wonderful staff and beautiful property. Both times we stayed in Royal Service and royal it was!
Food was great with a different dining experience every night. I enjoyed all the activities from dance classes to pool classes.
The thing that draws us back is the friendliness and hospitality, and professionalism extended by the staff. They remembered our names,and met our every wish and more!! And all the time with great humor and fun! There are too many to thank but I could not go without saying thank you to the team in Royal Service under the guidance and supervision of Miledeys, along with Enrique and Mildred (you are both the best!); Rudy and Juan the butlers extrordinaire! the great service from Fernando on the Royal beach - , and the "gem" in the spa - Julie for the best facial and massage....and many many more!
It was the perfect place to spend that special anniversary where we were pampered and had such a relaxing holiday
We are happy to have met them all. We are already planning our next trip and can hardly wait to return to paradise!

Room Tip: go Royal Service. We chose beachfront, but the extra perks with Royal Service are worth it
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank winner101
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for choosing our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort to celebrate your wedding anniversary, also for letting us know that you have a good experience during your second visit at our Resort. You have to know that here in Paradisus Punta Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guest’s expectations.
I appreciate that you took the time to write and express your gratitude on the staff and the hotel.
I look forward to hosting you again at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort.

Francisco Castillo

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Paradisus Punta Cana Resort

Reviewed 14 May 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from the Paradisus and had a wonderful time. We went in early May and it was no crowded at all! Had no problems getting beach chairs at any time of day and no waits for restaurants.

ARRIVAL: We arrived at the airport with many other flights so lines were long but they did an excellent job at moving people along. We got a taxi for the 25 minute ride to the resort for $35 right away. I would recommend a taxi over the buses which seemed hectic and inconvenient.

CHECK IN/ CHECK OUT: At the reserve check in, we were greeted by Yelissa, who was wonderful and was able to help us with all of our questions. We also were told we had resort credit that we had to pick up the next day in the main lobby. After hearing about all the time share stories we were sure we would have to sit through a talk in order to get our credit. However, we did not! We were never approached by anyone trying to sell timeshares. Check in and check out were very quick and easy. Upon checking out, we told them we needed a taxi back to the airport and it arrived in literally a minute.

THE RESERVE: We decided to stay in The Reserve section of the resort, which, although it is farther from the beach than other parts of the resort, I would highly recommend it. The rooms were very nice and spacious and housekeeping did a good job and stocked the minibar with plenty of waters and other drinks daily. In each reserve building lobby there is a concierge who can help you with any room repairs or any resort questions. At the desk in the building lobby there is a list of restaurants that are open that day. Not every restaurant is open everyday, which we did not know initially, so its important to check here first.

FOOD: We were nervous after hearing many bad reviews about the food. We are not particularly picky but we appreciate and know a good meal. The only restaurant you need a reservation for is Sakura and this must be made day of across from Ciel restaurant between 10-11 AM. We were unaware of this and were never able to try this restaurant. Obviously, the food at the ala carte restaurants was far superior to the buffets. The buffets were pretty standard: good selection, not the best quality/ freshest food at times, but there is usually something you can get cooked on site as part of the buffet. I would suggest not going to the buffets if it can be avoided.
GABI: We at breakfast here every morning since it was at the Reserve. Fresh fruit, cheeses, meats and breads along with pancakes, waffles and eggs were available everyday along with daily specialties. Made to order omelets, eggs and fruit smoothies were also available daily.
DOLCE VITA: We went here for lunch everyday we could. It is an italian restaurant open for lunch and dinner. This is the only ala carte restaurant open for lunch. The food was excellent here, and that's coming from an Italian. I would recommend the spinach tagliatelle in the salmon cream sauce. The pizzas were also good, I especially enjoyed the banana pizza.
TERRA: This is an ala carte steakhouse. I got the tenderloin medallion and it was AMAZING! And cooked perfectly. The guacamole appetizer was also very good and tasted very fresh. My boyfriend got the ribeye steak which was just O.K.
RODIZIO: This is a Brazilian steakhouse. They came around with meats on skewers and served you. There was also a salad and dessert bar. I was not impressed with this food and although it is not a full buffet, it was not much better.
QI: This is a chinese ala carte restaurant. Overall it was good; typical chinese food.
VENTO: This restaurant was open to Reserve and Royal Service guests only. This was probably the fanciest restaurant at the resort. It had a lot of good seafood dishes.
El ROMANTICO: Ala carte. More good seafood dishes.
OVERALL: service was very good, food came out very quick and we never had any problems with food or ordering. Everything we got was good and always came out piping hot and fresh. We never had to wait to be seated. Portions at some restaurants are on the smaller side but you can order an appetizer and dessert and it is more than enough! If you are a big eater you can order multiple entrees as well! Food always served with a smile!!

BARS:
Drinks are not watered down and even if they were, you can order as many as your heart desire (or just ask for doubles). Most of the bartenders are very nice and understand most drinks you would want to order. The lobby bar is a fun place to hang out, be entertained, and meet people. There is also a bar near all the restaurants if you ever need to wait to be seated. The Gabi bar and the Reserve pool bar had a relaxed feel and there was even a server walking around the pool to fetch drinks. Special shout out to Kelvin and Danny Romero. Both were extremely nice and constantly refilling my drink. They spoke english very well, also. Not only was Danny a good bartender, but at the end of the week, he was our friend. He is easy to talk to and is always smiling. This guy basically made our trip as good as it was! Also...I would recommend the dirty monkey...basically a mudslide with a banana in it.. unbelievable. Drinks were always flowing and always offered! One night at the Red Lounge I asked if they had fresh bananas for my dirty monkey and they did not, which I told them was fine but the manager got on the phone right away and a few minutes later I had my fresh bananas!! Excellent service!!

ACTIVITIES:
When you check in they give you a list of free activities offered through the resort each day. We did a cigar workshop and a cocktail workshop which were so much fun and we learned a lot. We also did a merengue lesson which was so much fun! Each morning they have "stretching" or pilates on the beach which was wonderful. The staff is so friendly and truly made our experience unforgettable.
They also have free non-motorized rentals. We made a reservation to take a small catamaran boat out for an hour. When we got there they asked if we knew how to do it, which we did not. So they went out a worker with us to teach us how to sail the boat...for free! Obviously we tipped him well, however.
Also, if you walk by the beach to the left if you are facing the ocean), there are shacks selling souvenirs, mamajuana, rum, jewelry, paintings, etc. They will initially give you a very high price but you can talk them down to a reasonable price, one lower than the prices at the resort store.

NIGHTLIFE:
The casino was disappointing and small. Lost a few bucks on the slots and left.
At 10:00 PM every night by the lobby bar there is a dance show with a different theme. The dancers were very good and these shows were always entertaining. Then at 11:00 PM the Red Lounge Disco opens....it doesn't get crowded until about midnight and the DJ was good, playing a mix of American hits, older hits as well as Dominican music.

OVERALL: I would highly recommend Paradisus Punta Cana. When walking down the beach it really does look like the best resort in the area. The beach chairs here are MUCH nicer than at the surrounding hotels.
I can't imagine how anyone could not like this place. For what you are paying, especially, it is unbelievable and it truly is paradise.
Also bring lots of $1's for tips. These people are so nice and work so hard that you truly will want to tip them!!
Excellent trip and loved the resort and all the workers! Had the time of our life and would definitely go back!!

7  Thank alyssa r

Dear Alyssa,

First of all thank you for choosing Paradisus Punta Cana. It is a pleasure to learn that your experience at The Reserve has been of your complete satisfaction, which is our main goal. I appreciate your compliments on our restaurants, bars and other accommodations; I assure you that your comment has been forwarded to the corresponding departments in order to let our personnel know that their hard work and efforts to providing the best quality service has met its purpose.
Once again thank you for extending your experience to us. We await you soon at your “home away from home” in the Caribbean Paradisus Punta Cana.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2012

According to www.Paradisus.com, this property is AAA Rated 4 Diamonds...It certainly is not.

We just returned yesterday from Paradisus Punta Cana and it was a terrible experience. We have to add that we paid additional money for the upgraded "Royal Service"...which was not "royal" in any way, nor did we get the services they describe on their website. Below I have cut and pasted what they have on their website in quotes...

"Unparalleled. All-encompassing. Elevated, preferential and private.
Lavish Suite accommodations
Personal Butler service
Complimentary cell phone to call your Butler, featuring unlimited local minutes and incoming calls
Sensational upgraded amenities including personalized turn-down service, your choice of aromatic pillows, in-room Jacuzzi® preparation, daily newspaper delivery, individualized in-room coffee service and espresso machine and minibars stocked daily to suit your preferences
Preferential reservations at spa, activities and excursions
Private Royal Service pools with valet service
Private Royal Service beach areas with valet service
A la carte breakfast and lunch in an exclusive Royal Service restaurant
Elegant VIP Lounge private check in/out, complimentary Internet access, daily continental breakfast buffet, coffee and beverages, international newspapers and evening cocktails and hors d’oeuvres."

The real FACTS are below...

So the overall picture of this property and the majority of the people working there are as follows:

1. Room 2119 had failing airconditioning, and it was incredibally loud with trucks running around at all times of the night, and landscaping staffing yelling down the walkways to each other.

2. Our room had 18 light switches that did not work in relationship to the closest lights, we spent the entire trip trying to remember to turn on the bathroom light from the hallway. You would have to see this mess to believe it!

3. Our room had a huge wall with 2 huge bolts for a wall hanging, but nothing was there but a blank wall.

4. When we were taken to our room we were offered none of the ammenities that are supposed to be included as listed above...no butler cell phone (and later told us they didn't offer that even though it is on the website for Royal Service), no offered pillow selection, no offered mini bar preferences of any kind (later to be clarified that it is NOT your preferences is only their preferences of beer and wine, coke and juice), no liquor), no offer of reservations for beach beds, no offer of reservations for restaurants, no description of room service or telling us about a menu, or what housekeeping provided and when. We later found out this was supposed to be done by the "butler" along with tour we didn't get of this giant property.

5. We went and addressed this with the management in "Royal Service" and Enrique was remarkable in is flat attitude, appearing distracted, using his cell phone and speaking to others while we were in the middle of a speaking. The only thing he corrected is getting a picture on our wall. Nothing else changed at all.

6. On our 3rd day we asked for an appointment with the General Manager and was asked to be at his office at 10am. Unbelievably, he did not arrive until 10:35 am. He seemed concerned, along with another Royal Service Manager, yet the only improvements were we finally got more water in our room, a small bottle of Jack and Vodka and shampoo. Our air conditioning was a huge problem, he said it would be corrected immediately and it NEVER was...it never went below 21.5 Celsius (70 Farenheit) ...shouldn't we be able to control our temp? Unacceptable!

7. BUGS....like I can't describe, except to say that on 1 leg alone I have 48 bites from mosquitos. Everywhere, and I used bug spray. The main lobby is infested and I would expect this property to do treatments on the grounds and pond areas.

8. Food...if you would like to eat on your vacation you should stay home. Of the many resturants we experienced, the only ones where we completed a meal were the Japanese resturant, Sakura and the private resturant, Fuego. The Gabi at the reserve was absolutely an unimpressive buffet with a staff that consistenly needed an attitude adjustment. We did find that customer service was not consistent.

On a couple of fair notes...The adult pool is nice, but very dificult to get in and out of with a drink from the the swim up bar, as it is 5.5 feet before you can get to the steps. The staff at the pool bar and on the Royal Service Beach area were fun...you need to tip at the beginning of your stay if you want attention.

Beaches...the beaches are beautiful, but there are lots of beautiful beaches with much better customer care and cleaner grounds...Try El Dorado in Cancun.

We plan to request at least a portion of our money back, considering we would have left on day 4 if we could have gotten a flight. We are very frustrated...by the way, did we mention the General Manager never checked with us for the rest of the trip to make sure the issues were corrected? A manager once called and simple said, "is everything ok?" Honestly, we were too tired to fight anymore.

Room Tip: Walk around a look before you select if you must go
7  Thank Speaker Sheri
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012

Dear Mrs. Speaker Sheri,

First of all please allow me to thank you for taking a space from your valuable time to write to us an let us know the impression that you have about our Paradisus Punta Cana.
I do apologize for any inconveniences you may have had during your visit.
Apart from that I would like to emphasis a few points about your comments.
In respect to the amenities and benefits of Royal Service, all the information that come with the Royal Service package is given to the clients upon arrival at the check-in. On top of that the information is also delivered to the client inside the registration envelope (benefits letter). On the other had, the costumer may also request any additional services or help by calling Royal Service Lounge Ext. number 1000.
In reference of the appointment that we had, I did arrived 10 min late, but I also contacted you before the meeting excusing my self for being a little late and gave you the explanation. The Royal Service Manager was invited to the meeting, due you could address all the inconveniences with responsible of the area and gave the proper flow up.
I must note that you always received a VIP treatment from the hotel, giving constant monitoring to your needs, sending amenities and developing details of soul and magic every day to you room. All the request that we had from you were properly address.
Referring to the inconveniences in your room, according to our internal reports and Royal Service Manager feedback the rest of the issue were solved on the same day of your stay.
The Royal Service Manager contacted you in several occasions to ask how was everything and the answer from you was always positive, we regret that you did not report any other inconvenience, we would have been delighted to assist you and provide you the correct follow-up. Please understand that it is our commitment to make everyday a unique experience.
Rest of assure that we are acting upon your feedback.If there is anything that you feel that I may assist you with and you wish to discuss it privately, please do not hesitate and contact me at calidad2.paradisus.punta.cana@solmelia.com

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We just came back from Paradisus and are very happy with our experience. The reason I gave 4 stars is because the service was 3.5 (we did not get the royal service) but everything else 5 stars. The Check in was very long and restaurant staff were somewhat confused and unresponsive.

We were the most amazed with the resort grounds and landscaping. The variety of food, the suite with hot tub on the balcony, plenty of free fun activities, huge and not crowded beach, and entertainment (circus show was the best) were all amazing. I'm 32 and my boyfriend is 37 and this resort is geared towards this age or older crowd who likes to be active. The grounds are huge and require a lot of walking. The resort has the buses, that look like long golf carts, but sometimes you can wait a while for them. It offers free scuba dives, snorkeling, windsurfing, rock climbing wall, ping pong, biking and a bunch of other fun stuff in the adventure park or on the beach. You can walk outside the hotel to go local shopping or take a free bus service. You can also walk about half mile north on the beach and there are some local shops as well.

We were in Paradisus for 7 days and did not have time to do all activities and visit all restaurants. I would definitely go back to this resort and try other Paradisus resorts.

1  Thank Sonze
Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

Inside my own room, left my wallet inside my locked suitcase and my credit and debit card went missing along with $200 cash. The hotel wouldn't even call the police so tha the customers didn't see the cops in the hotel . Had to drive to the police station myself. The manager took no responsibility for what happened and blamed me for leaving my wallet in my room, even though it was in my locked suitcase. I would have put it in the safe but the safe was broken.Even so, I shouldnt have to worry about being robbed in my own room.

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Giolambeth

Dear guest,

Before hand I want to let you know that we are thankful for choosing Paradisus Punta Cana as you vacation destination.
Accept our most sincere apologies for the experience you had. At Paradisus Punta Cana we are concerned about the security of our guests and therefore it is no usual that situations like this occur in our facilities.
After we had investigated the situation, the manager of Security department, informs us that according their reports and the reading of the lock of your room, we found no abnormality and that the only entrance to the room were made by the client.
On the other hand, regarding to your comment about the safe box key, I can assure you that if you had contact our servi-express department this inconvenience would have been solve in few minutes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
0.0 km away
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 km away
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK