1,838 results
All reviews diamond club martini bar oceanside restaurant hunters steak mini cooper dc pool fitness team lazy river is awesome grand marche brazilian grill hunter steakhouse coffee and ice cream grazie restaurant diamond pool aqua fit italian restaurant travel smart
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Just came back from a spring break week with teenagers. First the good stuff-the place is beautiful and clean, everything is new and modern, rooms are nice, the beach and the water stunning. Nightly entertainment was decent and food variety impressive for all-inclusive. I feel like this place has a great potential if only many little annoying things can get straightened out. We are not high maintenance folks at all and were expecting some hiccups due to busy time of the year, but too many things add up to unnecessary annoyance to what should be a relaxing experience.
Like many others we did not receive the room type we booked via Bookit, they were overbooked. I guess we got lucky we were assigned a swim out in a decently quiet location instead of the ocean view we hoped for. On the day of the arrival the room was not ready till dinner time, and it has been a somewhat chilly day with beach towels not available by mid day. The swimout pools and lazy river were freezing for half the week even for us coming from the North.) The restaurants felt like they were overwhelmed by amount of people and could not handle the flow well. The Ocean side buffet for lunch was great, except it was out of most of the good seafood offerings half-way through lunch time and not restocked:(. The whole dinner reservation/no reservation game needs to get better, Zen and Hunter were not worth the hassle of getting in, the last thing anyone should be doing on their vacation is lining up for reservations mid day or wait for hours for their dinner. For the amount of money paid for regular rooms all of the guests should have the option to make reservations ahead of time like Diamond club, and not having to scrape for inconvenient times or long waits. Oceanside was great for dinner, and Rio as well, except one of the nights something was off, and meat did not come out for the longest time, and then they were bringing it out very sparsely so we ended up leaving. It would have been nice to have a restaurant with local or at least latin cusine done well, instead of mediocre fare of Japanese or Italian attempts. It was clever that room keys were integrated into a cute bracelet, except it kept getting deactivated and required at least 4 trips to the front desk to fix. The towel game was a bit ridiculous, which is no fault of the resort, but people are nuts saving many chairs early in the morning and not using them for most of the day. By like 8 am most of the chairs at the beach would be taken with virtually no one present-kind of ridiculous. And forget about getting a day bed at the beach unless you wake up at 5 am lol. Entertainment on the actual beach was next to none the whole week, while I understand most people are there to relax it would be nice to have some dancing or zumba maybe a few times a day right on the beach like in the neighboring resorts, instead of somewhere by the pool. Soccer gates on the beach would also be nice. Building concierges constantly harassing customers for time shares need to simply go away. Other than that, if you are able to keep an open mind and relax about many things it is a great time. The resort also needs more lush greenery, palm trees and flowers, it feels a bit bare right now. The staff does try hard to please as much as they can, perhaps it will get better with time and I hope it does.

6  Thank Katerina G
General_ManagerPUJ, General Manager at Royalton Bavaro Resort & Spa - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear Ms. Katerina G;

Receive a warm regard from Royalton Bavaro,

We would like thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Royalton Bavaro. We also would like to thank you for important point to improve. Our Management understands that only through the opinion of our visitors we can become excellence.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in our Hotel and assure you that you will enjoy even superior services and facilities on your next visit.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I like to start with the bad first: Butler Service/Diamond Club? Don't do it...This was easily the worse service I have ever experienced at a hotel...you want real butler service, look at some of my other reviews....It took us two days to realize that we were supposed to have PREMIUM Spirits in the room and another two days to receive something. JJWalker Red is NOT premium spirits....

Butler? Terrible, the only time we saw him was when I ran into him walking around the resort. No communication at all, no personal phone...where was he at? I don't know...Also he and the hotel could not come through on anything...reservations? No, Spirits, No..every question was no, sorry, we are so sorry , we could try...ya ya ya.
I know and expect Island time but this was sickening.

We thought it was just our party but it was other people too from regular guests to diamond club guest...everywhere we turned we were hearing complaints and other people asking us how was our stay which we then agreed...terrible...also was very hard to find change to keep tipping the workers..

Food: Okay but not great,I've had worse resort food.. I did like the steakhouse, the Ice-cream / coffee shop and the nice crew that works in there...

Drinks: The main bar by the entertainment was the best but more games...supposedly Grand Mariner was only for diamond club but we got it sometimes other time they stated that it was only for diamond club....bartenders were nice and fun though...Thanks to the manager for the fire hot old fashioned...

Grounds: The lazy river very fun..the kiddie pool, daughter had a blast..beach nice, pool and the foam party..great....thanks to the kiddie pool lifeguard during the day who kept a sharp eye on my child...

We also went over to the memories water park and had a blast...no drinks over there and why did we have walk and find towels...come on people...take the 9am trolley and by 145pm you will be ready to go back..

So why the 5 Rating? the resort is nice most of the workers were good and helped with my spanish but I felt we had to fight for every little thing we requested until the final day they seemed to come through...little too late...took a little wind out of our sails for the constant complaining for service we should have got with diamond club....so yes I can stay here again but don't get diamond club..just leave me alone and let me enjoy my vacation!

My beef is with the upper management not the workers....one worker confided with us that he hated his job because he was told to deny the guest and then when management was confronted they gave in making him look bad....And they also admitted to overbooking the Diamond club giving people regular rooms......Shame on you guys!

Room Tip: don't know if you would get what you asked for....ocean or resort view
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
8  Thank Playerham42
Juan T, General Manager at Royalton Bavaro Resort & Spa - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Dear Playerham42

Receive a warm regard from Royalton Bavaro Resort & Spa.

We heartily appreciate your taking the time to write such a kind review on our resort Royalton Bavaro Resort & Spa.

We extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you had with the service in our property; we continuously train our staff in order to give an excellent service to our visitors.

It was a great pleasure welcoming you to Royalton Bavaro. We are looking forward to welcome you again in our Hotel and assure you that you will enjoy even superior services and facilities on your next visit.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

The property is beautiful as is the beach. I thought the food was excellent especially Hunter, Zen and Rio.

The shows were OK; some nights better than others.
Check-in was lengthy and we did not get the room we had requested/ booked. We booked a two bed junior suite and got a king and a pull out coach. We were told to go back down the next morning and they would put us in the right room. Next day we got the same story; we never did get the right room.

My boys really enjoyed the property especially the lazy river, flow rider and teen’s club.Shout out to Pina, Justine and Reynaldo from the Vibeteam. They were very welcoming, eager to please the children and always happy; the resort needs more people like them. We really enjoyed the waiter Bruce Lee from Zen; he put on a very good show.

Be weary of the gentlemen sitting at the tables as you exit your building. They are pushy and don’t take no for an answer.

When going to the Hunter or Zen, if you get a beeper, don’t go wait in the lobby. You should wait in front of the restaurant as they will sit a whole bunch of other people before calling you. I saw it first hand.

On my last evening, at the Hunter Restaurant we arrived at 6:30 and they told us we could only enter at 8:00 because they were busy. As I was walking, I see a lady flagging down a waiter and asking if he could get them in. The waiter told them to wait; I decided to wait around to see what would happen. Needless to say, they got in; they sat them in the veranda portion of the restaurant. I was very angry and asked to speak to a manager.

Reynaldo ( Hunter Manager) supposedly came out and I voiced my concern. He lied straight to my face by saying they had a reservation. I quickly responded no and let him know I heard the conversation between the family and the waiter. He quickly changed his answer to “ they are diamond club” and I said, no they are not, they are not wearing diamond club bracelets. I HATE being lied to. We ended up not eating there and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I would have appreciated the truth over him lying. Therefore, the hotel has lost a star because of REYNALDO’s lying and thinking we are stupid.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank cfmiranda

Dear cfmiranda

Receive a warm regard from Royalton Bavaro Resort & Spa.

We are sorry about the impressions that you may receive about the service from our staff and management; our objective is to provide an excellent service to our visitors and always ensure a quality holiday among our guests. We took a note about your point.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in our Hotel and assure you that you will enjoy superior services and facilities on your next visit.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Just got back from a 2-family, 4 night trip to Royalton Bavaro Resort. Here are the things you must know before booking a trip here.

Casino: The casino is not open. If you are booking this place because you want the casino, don't bother. They shuttle you once an hour from 7pm to 1am to their sister property to their other casino. Not very convenient when you have young kids with you.

Overbooking: This is the second Royalton property where we've seen overbooking happen. You cannot trust that the room you book will be available when you go here.

Check-In: I have been to many places in my life, and this one, by far, had the worst check in process I have ever had to endure. We stepped on the line for check-in and a very rude front desk person (wish i remembered her name) asked us to go sit in chairs. Meanwhile, she walked back and forth looking for paperwork that she could not find. I spelled out my name for her on a piece of paper, and she still could not find our reservation. After a very long process, we still did not have rooms, but were told to go explore the hotel and come back later. Coming back later, it was still a s##t show. We finally got into our rooms at like 5pm. I will say, that Jose A. at the front desk was the only friendly and helpful person there, and the rest of the staff should follow in his lead.

Hotel: Overall, the rooms and the hotel grounds are beautiful. Everything is new, the beach is beautiful and this is really the only saving grace.

Service: The service at this hotel was probably the worst I've seen. If you want any kind of decent alcohol like Grey Goose or Tito's, or Bacardi, you have to be in Diamond Club. Each bartender has been trained like robots to make you feel like a 2nd class citizen if you ask for one of these drinks. After figuring out that this was how the hotel operates, I went back to the front desk and asked to be upgraded to a Diamond Club reservation, and even said they could leave me in the regular room, and was denied. I offered paying regular price for diamond club just to have the drinks I wanted, and was still denied. What hotel rejects extra cash for just providing a bracelet?

Restaurants: No matter what anyone says, go early and put your name in. Wait times were 1-2 hours usually. As for food quality, the Hunter Steakhouse and Zen were the best by far. Grazie (Italian) was average, but adequate, and Ocean Side (fish) was by far the worst meal we had. Steaks overcooked, fish terrible, took 2 hours. It was not something I'd recommend. Every place uses an overload of sodium.

Tennis: I have to list this because we chose this resort for two reasons: Casino and Tennis. We go to play tennis the first day and they say they only have 3 rackets in the entire resort. We ask them to correct this, and the next day, again, only 3 rackets. They finally went to another sister property to retrieve a few rackets. The courts are basic with no table, no chairs, one umbrella, no cold water. If you care about playing tennis, probably not the best place for you.

Buildings: The lower number buildings: 11 to 15 have an entrance right by the service road. You hear cars all night long and there's constant workers, servicemen on these roads. If you have a choice, go to 16-19.

Overall: The pools and beaches and weather were great, but I would not recommend a Royalton property. There has to be better places to go where the staff actually cares about their customers.

Side note: If you're a manager and you want to respond by saying "we hope you try us again in the future", don't bother. That's the lamest reply you can give.

Room Tip: Do not pick a room in the buildings with low numbers. They are near service roads that are busy with workers and noisy all night long.
9  Thank wilbr024

Dear wilbr024

Receive a warm regard from Royalton Bavaro Resort & Spa.

It is my deepest regret to read that you went through so many inconveniences during your stay; I assure you that the circumstances you described are not typical with the high standards that we strive to provide. We take pride in creating memorable experiences for our guests and in order to do so we focus on following the highest standards of quality and service. We took a note about your point and your comments have been shared with our management.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

6 days - 2 adults 2 kids ages 10 and 6 - NOT Diamond Club Reservation - not worth it.

We just returned from Royalton Bavaro. Let me list out the Great and Good first:

Check in was a breeze! Elizabeth, Jose and Hammel were excellent to deal with. Our room was not ready, but expected when arriving at 11:30 am. Since our friends were already there we headed to the pool. There are a few jobs at this resort I would not want, under any circumstances, Front Desk Staff, deal with a lot. Everytime went to the front desk, there was someone complaining..not sure what, but not a happy camper. Each time I spoke to front desk staff, they really tried their best to accomodate, whatever my ask was, even if their English was not great. Note: we booked a Family Suite, which is a King Bed and a pull out couch, this did not work for us, since our kids are too big to fit, plus room smelled. Book a junior suite to get the two beds. Hotel was sold out so the only option i think they gave us the only room available, which smelled worse and had water damage, but at least two beds. So we just dealt with it and swim out, which is bonus for our kids. Be aware building 16, 17 and 18 have musty smells, not sure how they will fix this. There was no other rooms available.
Again, all Front Desk Staff were very pleasant and trying their best, and I want to let them know, I was at the front desk a lot, never received an unwelcoming response to whatever my ask.

Sales- stop trying to sell people stuff all day long. If you have to do it maybe from 11-1 during the day.

On to outside areas: which are absolutely beautiful and well kept. Pools were very nice, lazy river and Florider were super cool.

Because I work and have to get up at 5am for work, the last thing i want to do is get up and race to get chairs, which on this property for the close to the pool spots or good location, its a race, resolution to this: GET A CABANA! Book in advance if possible.. Ask for Domingo - what a fantastic guy! Always a smile always doing his best.
Then request Daniel to be your caban server. "Always a pleasure!" This guy can jump! Never, ever made us feel anything other than wonderful! Having a cabana and having Daniel made our vacation! Daniel and Domingo went out of their way so many times for us, BIG accolates for all their service. BIG Smiles from our family. No was never an option. We have been to other resorts when they take your order, they disappear, not Daniel. Speedy! Come circling right back! My Pleasure!

Yuberkis, when we were not able to get a cabana, Yuberkis was our girl, always stopping by to check on us, making sure we are okay, and this is BEFORE we tipped her. She also made our vacation a pleasure. She is a wonderful person.

Vibe team during the day did a great job keeping us entertained. The shows at night were pretty good, Michael Jackson show was fantastic, and the Latin Dancers on Tuesday night really were amazing.

Dinner: DO Hunter and Rio, and if they are not out of spagetti, Grazi was pretty good. Skip: Zen = Gross at best. At the end of our vacation, we were so tired of eating, we actually skipped dinner and just ate bread and dessert. The buffets get old fast. Dinner reservation (knowing we were not Diamond Club) was a challenge, but still managed. WAIT = Here is an idea, how about keeping the pool open later like till 7 so you don't have a mad rush of guest trying to get 6:30 - 7:30 reservations. If the pool was open later people we not kill each other to get to dinner.

The servers at the middle hut near Grazi, again those guys don't stop, always smiling, singing.

I can understand the language barrier, we had some issues, but most of the staff spoke english. ( some more than others)

The Spa was worth it as well, my husband and I both enjoyed our Swedish massage, Olga was a delight coupon or not, it is worth it.

The great = the staff - everyone really works hard on this property, more than i have ever seen, I'm from NYC BTW, so my expectations might be high, the staff exceeded my expectations. Everyone again everyone, from the staff at the buffet to the vibe team, does a great job. Thank you to all staff!

The BAD: Our room had an awful smell, so much so that when we came home from our trip, i had to leave the suitecases outside, all of our clothes were damp and smelled like mold. But we will survive.

Dear ROYALTON - fire your architect - who ever approved the hotel room design to allow a toliet without a sink to wash your hands should be ashamed! GERM CENTRAL. Take those germs right to the buffet, little Mikey is not washing his hands. Sink should be right were the toliet is. Not everyone gets asked to santize their hands before going to buffet.

Had a great time overall, fix the rooms. Cabana made us forget about all our worries.

Room Tip: Middle Building
3  Thank Christine S