“Absolutely wonderful”

Ranked #48 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I'll do a short review and long review. This was our first stay at an AI so nothing to compare it to. We frequent Las Vegas and have stayed at hotels from the Trop to Bellagio.

Short: It was a fabulous stay for us. We're low key people who can lounge around the pool all day and have a few drinks at night before going to bed. The pool fills up early so if you want a shady spot, get there early. Grounds are immaculate. Food at the buffet and restaurants exceeded our expectations and the service was TOP NOTCH. Beach was perfect. Room was clean and spacious. Adults only was REALLY nice.

Long:
Check-in: We were greated at the desk with frozen drinks and checked in within minutes. We were immediately struck by how friendly everyone on the resort was. Within a 15 minutes, we were in our room with our luggage. The arrival was perfect.

Room:
Spacious. Nice balcony that I would sit on and watch the sun set every night while she got ready for dinner. I would sip a Presidente from the included mini bar in the room. The bathroom was dark and the shower had weird heads on it. I mentioned earlier that we have stayed at the Bellagio. This is not at that level. But if you go to a third world country expecting that level of accomadations, you will be disappointed. The bathroom was my girlfriend's biggest complaint (and a very minor one at that). Housekeeping did a WONDERFUL job. We left a couple of bucks every day. We left a note asking for a couple extra beers which she did.

Grounds:
I don't think I've read a review that said anything other than how beautiful they were so no more on that.

Resort:
The overall Bahia Principe Resort is HUGE. The Ambar property is very managable with nothing more than a few minute walk away. The Ambar is the adults only portion of the complex. We saw 2 children all week. The Ambar section is pretty quiet. The pool closed around 6:00 while we were there. They had a lobby that always had music playing and drinks flowing where you could sit and talk. Drink service was excellente. If you wanted more adventure, you could hop a tram that drove about 5 minutes to the other resort lobbies (Punta Cana and Bavaro). These areas were much larger. There was a club, casino, shopping area and 2 additional lobbies. We checked it out one night. The casino had about 12 machines and 6 tables in it. I love to gamble but didn't feel the urge there. There were nightly shows and entertainment but we were never up that late.

Food:
The buffet was significantly better than either of us expected. They had a different theme every night with some of the old stand bys there every day. We were only there for breakfast and dinner and both were very good. I expected bland food that I would be sick of after a couple of days but found myself looking forward to dinner every night. Again, the staff welcomed you at the door and took you to your seats. We never waited and never saw so many smiles.

Drinks:
If you're a beer drinker, you should know that Presidente is it. So if you don't like it, you're in for a long week. Service was great and they were more than happy to fill a larger mug for you. They had some top notch stuff available (Johnny Walker Black, Bailey's, Chivas Regal....you get the picture). A lot of rum and fruity drinks of course. You don't NEED to tip but I gave out a bunch of dollars and they are very much appreciated and they'll do whatever you want after a few bucks (extra booze, whatever). This is not to say they weren't friendly without tips but let's be honest. Money makes the world go round. Don't be cheap. $1 means a lot more to them than it does to you.

Pool:
Ah. The pool. I never thought I could enjoy staring at the top of my feet so much. We like to lounge so we were out there at 0630 to get one of the tiki huts that surround the pool area. We would literally stay until the pool closed. You will, at some point in your vacation, become enraged when you notice that someone has staked out a really nice spot with towels and a magazine. And show up at 4 pm. This has been a problem at any place I've ever been to that had a pool and a chair. The pool bar was great with......great service (you seeing a theme here?) There was a nice little buffet right off the pool area that served breakfast (which was good as we were always hungry from getting up and rushing out of the room to get a spot) and lunch. Clean and comfortable. Spent about 70% of our time here and loved every second of it.

Beach:
Took a few walks on the beach. It was pretty busy down there. Breathtakingly beatiful. We don't care for swimming in the ocean or crowds so we stayed by the pool. It's not that it was bad down there--just wasn't our thing. If you're up for a sunrise...take it in. Don't have much more on the beach.

Hmm. Is there anything else? Probably but I'm tired of typing now.

Overall, it was a WONDERFUL stay. We would do it again in a heartbeat. The complaints that I've read from other reviewers seem short sighted and petty to me. Not trying to insult anyone. Just my opinion. If I were staying in Vegas, I would be tougher on the place. I'm not saying it's not nice. Because it is. Just don't go to a dirt poor country expecting everything to be perfect. I could list some complaints we had but our quibbles with the joint were so minor, they're really not worth mentioning. The overall beauty and charm of the place combined with clean rooms and grounds topped off by above average food more than make up for it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank WallEye1018
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,652)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Prior to your travel: Please contact me if you’d like the contact information for room requests and a-la-carte reservations. We were able to confirm the details of our stay before we left for our trip. This was probably the most helpful part of our trip. I also have an extensive packing list or preparation checklist if you want assistance.

Travelling: We used Transat Holidays when we booked our vacation and had no issues. We had a meal and watched a movie both ways. The crew was very friendly. No complains. When you get off at the airport, just make sure you’re aware that the people who are there to “help” you also expect a “friendly tip”. If you can manage your own luggage, all you have to say is “No, gracias” (no, thank you). No need to be rude, they’re just there trying to make a living.

Once you’re out of the airport, make sure to pop by your tour guide desk to pick up your travel information (little booth after baggage collection). They’ll provide you with the bus number you need to hop on to. The travel from the airport to the resort is about 25-30 minutes. Make sure to check out the crazy drivers on motorcycles as entertainment during your ride to the resort.

Check In: Check in at GBP-Ambar is very smooth. You will be dropped off at the Bavaro lobby, but do not check in at the desk, because you must wait for a trolley to take you to the Ambar lobby. After being dropped off at Ambar- do not worry about your luggage because a bellman will assist you with transporting them to your room. While you check in, you are greeted by a server with their cocktail of the day or you can drive right in and ask for a mamajuana drink (hehehe). You must provide them with your booking information then you’ll be given a key to your room while you’re seated on a comfy chair.

I’m not sure if they do this for all their guests, but my husband and I were lucky enough to be provided a personal butler for the whole week. We had Francesca as our butler and she was AMAZING. We couldn’t have asked for a better one, but I’m sure they’re all as friendly as her. She assisted us with needs such as preparing a bubble bath upon arrival to our room (checking in after 9pm- this was needed and was very romantic). She assisted us with drinks brought right in our room; my husband doesn’t drink much, but when he does he’s picky. My husband wanted rye and coke and the only rye he liked was Canadian Club and this was not served in your bar fridge, but she was kind enough to offer to bring us two glasses a night. She helped us with ordering special pillows. Francesca also assisted us with laundry when our trip was close to the end. She would come visit us around the pool area to make sure we were having a great day… she was very pleasant to be around and a definite treat to our vacation.

MAKE SURE TO ATTEND YOUR TOUR GUIDE PRESENTATION- We had Genevieve as our guide and she was the one that assisted us with booking our excursions. She can also guide you to make sure you don’t get ripped off when buying souvenirs for people back home. Make sure to ask her about Nicole’s store. You can buy your gifts here and you’re able to experience a little bit of Punta Cana life outside the resort.

Accommodation: Prior to coming, I had asked for a room in building 67, third floor corner room, but when we arrived we were booked in building 64, corner room #64208. Honestly, they did us a favour by booking us into this room, because it was much closer to the lobby, pool and beach. Building 67 was still great, but you can’t go wrong with asking for building 61, 64, and 67; just make sure to ask for a corner room to have extra space in your balcony.

The rooms at Ambar are very big; you get a seating area with a wicker couch, two wicker chairs and a coffee table then you have your room. We were able to visit other rooms from friends we met at the resort, so we know that most of the rooms are similar. In your room, you have a nice canopy bed that is comfortable to sleep in. We’ve been to Mexico, Florida, and Cuba for sun vacations and I have to admit that this bed was probably the most comfortable out of all resorts we’ve been to.

In the washroom you have a sink with a large countertop to set your essentials and you get a separate shower and Jacuzzi tub. The plug they use is 110 (same as North America). The view from our room was amazing. We could see the pool, the ocean, and one of the buffet restaurants. The patio was very useful, quiet (not at 5pm during aqua-fit), and big.

The house-keeping ladies/gents were all very friendly. They always refilled our fridge with drinks and if you wanted extra, all you had to do was write a note in front of the fridge. We only tipped $1 each day, but we also brought lots of small gifts to go with the $1 tip. We gave medicine (vitamins), toys for kids, school supplies, feminine products, and lots of candy/food items. You don’t have to do this… I just like doing it because I know these products can be very expensive to buy in Dominican. Let me know if you want assistance with items to pack lightly.

Facilities: This resort is one of the cleanest resorts I’ve been to. They not only clean your room, but they also make sure that the garden is beautifully landscaped, the lobby is constantly changing with different theme nights and they even clean the seaweed off the beach.

The lobby is gorgeous. Make sure to also check out Bavaro lobby. The buildings are always clean and well maintained. The gardeners do a great job because the vegetation in the resort is something to be commended for. The gym is amazing at this resort. They had one room for cardio and another for weights. The shower in the gym was handy during check out. You can pay $10 per hour after check out or you can lock your luggage away and get change in the gym before your departure… it’s free! The pool area is beautiful and it was large for a small sub-resort. They had yoga classes at 10am and aqua-fit at 5pm. The 5pm aqua-fit is always well attended and everyone and I mean EVERYONE (including guys) seems to love participating (it must be all the mamajuanas).

Service: Everyone is so friendly at GBP-Ambar. When you call for assistance for anything… they always end the conversation with “…my pleasure” or “… is that all we can assist you with”. They just make you feel so welcomed. The trolley drivers are always smiling (please make sure to try and tip them at least once if you can). The front desk staff is amazing. I will never forget our two favourite bartenders… Ismael and Elvis; these guys are hilarious and they sure know how to make a drink. Make sure to try out their cocktail of the day to set you in the right mood.

Activities/Beach: The beach is very inviting. There’s lots of seating area you can choose from. If you like walking, to the right of the beach there are tiny shops where you can buy souvenirs. Just be careful because not all items they sell you may be authentic (i.e. cigars). To the left of the resort is where you can find all the water activities. Some have cost associated with them and again be careful because these activities may not be covered by your insurance (make sure to check with your tour guide).

The activities at Ambar were very limited. They had dance class at the lobby in the evening, but not many people had enough guts to do this. If you’re interested in more interactive activities, please visit the Bavaro pool (“big pool”). They also had Olympics as one of their activities and this looked like a lot of fun and was very well attended. My husband and I are sporty so we were playing beach volleyball with others at the beach or played football. You have to try the catamaran ride if you get a chance. Just make sure you know how to handle it.

Excursion: Punta Cana Buggy was our choice for excursion; we had Jesus (hesus) and Philip as our guides. They were so funny and so much fun to be around. These buggies can go pretty fast so it was exciting to drive them. We visited Macao beach while we were there. It’s a sand bar with massive waves. It was amazing because they also had a guy selling fresh coconut. He cracks it open for you to drink the juice and if you like he can even open it up so you can eat the inside. Yummm!

We visited a village with a small educational hut to learn how to make coffee, chocolate, and cigar, then visited a school. The school is not mandatory, but my husband and I wanted to do it because we brought lots of items to give away such as colouring books, pencils, paper, etc. The teacher was very grateful and the students were all smiles. This was humbling to us knowing how lucky we are to be able to travel for leisure.

Food/Restaurants: If you don’t end up booking a-la-carts, the 24hr room service has a variety of food items to choose from and trust me when I say YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. My husband and I had many late night hungers, so we were able to take advantage of room service. The buffet is also delicious and they have a theme night every night. My favourite theme at Palmyrra is Thursday’s “Gala” –lots and lots of seafood. The other restaurants are Las Olas- beach bar/restaurant that you share with Punta Cana resort and Las Brissa’s- beach buffet that serve breakfast at 7am-10:30am and lunch at 1pm-4pm. Las Brissa’s also had Paella party- more seafood, but this time it’s all in one platter. MMM!

A-la-cartes that we tried were Maiko (Japanese tappanyake style). Melvin was our cook- you must request for him. He is hilarious and really gets you involved. I would book this as your first a-la-carte because this is a great way to meet new people. Food at Maiko was delicious because you have a choice between chicken, beef, shrimp, and salmon. Make sure to have a sake shot with your meal. We also tried El Olivo- Mediterranean restaurant. Your appetizer and dessert is buffet style. I ordered the chef’s lobster special (and asked for a second tail). My husband had the steak and we both really enjoyed our meals. Then we tried Santa Fe- Mexican style restaurant at Bavarro- again appetizer and dessert was buffet style. I had the fish and my husband had the quesadilla. He enjoyed his, mine was too salty so I had more appetizers instead. We tried the Steakhouse- delicious, but service was not as good as the other a-la-cartes we visited. Out of all the restaurants we visited, Don Pablo is a definite favourite. Very classy, friendly service, romantic for couples, and the food was to die for. Again I had lobster, but for appetizers I had crab cake and we also both tried different style soup. All were very delicious. We tipped $5 here because our experience was very positive.

What can improve: If Ambar had more interactive activities, I would definitely go back again. I wish they had more physical activities around the pool because it was so much fun to participate in the bigger pool but it was a pain having to walk to the other resort for extra “fun”.

If you need assistance with anything else, please feel free to contact me. Safe trip and enjoy your vacation!

Room Tip: Buildings 61, 64, 67 Ask for corner rooms facing the pool
6 Thank Lennie_0230
Archbald, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed at the Ambar march 29 thru April 2- perfect from the start- we arrived at the Ambar around 12pm- staff was great at the front desk- sign in at the front desk took only a few minutes- Roberto our butler was great- he immediately took us to our room- even though it was only 12 pm and check in was not until 3 pm- we had emailed the resort 2 weeks ahead to request a room in section 60 / 64 or 67- we wanted a room facing the pool/ beach area and we got exactly what we wanted- we received room 60212- first building facing the pool and beach- just perfect

The food at the resort was excellent- you really had to be an extremely picky eater to not find something - we ate at the palmyra buffet for breakfast/ and sometimes for dinner/ we also ate at don Pablo- just perfect- the caribbean lobster was great as well as the lobster and mussel soup
We also ate at el olivio - food was also great

The drinks were also good- have the lemon daiquiri at the lobby bar/ drinks at the pool bar were good but the lobby bar drinks were much better

Chairs at the beach were easier to get/ my husband and I alternated getting up early between 7 and 8/ we always went to the beach first- we love the ocean- so we stayed on the beach until about 3 then would go to the pool- never had any trouble getting a chair at the pool at this time

We really could not complain about a single thing except that if you are a gym person- they could use an upgrade

We did not meet many Americans while we were there- mostly Canadians- we found that the English speaking Canadians were much more friendlier than the French speaking Canadians

All in all it was a wonderful vacation- so just go and enjoy yourself

The worst part of the trip was the return trip- mainly the punta Cana airport- sheer agony- you have to live thru it to believe it

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank psu94
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

The Ambar is the 18+ resort in a group of Gran Bahia resorts. It's quiet and upscale. I haven't seen much twenty something getting wild at this resort and it's exactly why it's the right place for a couple in their 40's to spend a week taking a break from the work/stuck-in-traffic/sleep routine. The landscaping is beautiful, the rooms are extremely clean, the food is impeccable and the staff is extremely generous. My only complain, if I have to have one, is that it's a bit too popular/crowded. It only bothered me when I went to the beach. It didn't seem to bother my hubby. We had tried to reserve our a-la-carte dining before our departure but we it didn't work (too short notice). I would recommend everyone to do it. Who wants to wait in line for 20 minutes in the lobby (time it took me) when you can take care of it before you even get there? To do so, get in touch with them by email at gerenterecepcionbpamb@bahia-principe.com and gerenterrppbpamb@bahia-principe.com. We have had the most wonderful time there and we highly recommend the Ambar to anyone in need of a great vacation spot. It's a true gem.

My recommendations:
Bring american money if you can as it is the universally accepted currency in the shops and the hotel.
Bring bug spray (the regular kind, not the deer hunting kind!) and a light rain jacket and a small umbrella.
Bring washcloths if you use more than 1 a day per person as I have heard other people complain about it.

2 Thank Shopping911
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

When we arrived in Punta Cana we knew we were in Paridise as every place you went you were met by a friendly face as the Dominican People were extremely friendly. We arrived at the Ambar on Mar.17-24 and were extremely fond of the resort from the get-go.The surroundings were above average to exceptional,the Food was exceptional, the service was exceptional, the Beach was exceptional(as you can see by my review everything was exceptional) and don't let anyone tell you differently as the whole vacation at the Ambar was exceptional. We would stay at this resort again but we would stay a longer period as 7 days was not nearly enough as we enjoyed it immensely. The buffet for Brkfst. Lunch or Dinner is the way to go as the food was excellent and lots of variety for every taste.All I can say is I hope they continue doing what they do best and they cater to the tourist's with open arms!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and I would highly recommend this because you will not suffer the must...
5 Thank PollyWally517