***Please understand that I usually scoff at people who rip on a resort and generally think they are just negative people. Also, please keep in mind that this is the first time I have ever complained to a hotel about anything, and the first time I've ever posted anything negative about a hotel.***
1st - We had a free upgrade to the "Golden Club" which was completely worthless. By being a member of the Golden Club, the workers in the Golden Club are supposed to be much more helpful and/or accommodating. They were less helpful than anyone at the resort (which isn't saying much because no one there was helpful). They would not tell me when my flight left. They refused to look it up for me. They would not give me a recommendation about what time I should leave the hotel for my flight. They would not discuss possible things to do while on our vacation. They would only tell me to contact my booking representative, and they would not help me find out where in the hotel he was located. I BADLY cut my leg on one of many pieces of glass inside the hotel pool from a broken pool light. I found out that the hotel knew of the broken light but failed to pick out the glass and that several others had been cut, including children. I had to stand by the pool for over 30 minutes by myself, bleeding on the pool deck and try to keep children away from the light and broken glass, no one would help. I had no idea where to go and was more worried about someone else getting hurt to leave. After waiting for 40 minutes for someone to show up i was told by security that my cut only needed ice. My wife went all the way to the Golden Club to try to get me some help and was told that nothing could be done and basically that it was my fault. I only wanted someone trained in the medical field to take a look at it but they would not provide anyone. My wife was treated very poorly by the Golden Club people and they would not provide a cart to either take me to my room or to the medical clinic as my leg continued to gush blood. They would not provide a cart to take my wife back to where I was. We were told that we could leave and take a taxi to a doctor if we wanted to. We were with my 6 year old son at the time who was VERY upset over the entire experience. I finally gave up and walked to the onsite clinic (bleeding all over the sidewalk the entire walk) and a nice lady (not affiliated with the hotel) took a look at it and said she thought I would be ok. The hotel made me pay for for everything for the treatment of my leg and never once apologized. The pool light had been out of it's socket all day (and broken) with bare electrical wires exposed. Someone could have been very badly injured or worse. When we left the next day the lights and bare wires were still exposed. The day I got back I received multiple stitches to the wound. Much of the glass was also in the kiddie pool. I have never experienced WORSE SERVICE and more RUDE PEOPLE at a hotel in my ENTIRE LIFE. The next day after my injury was our last day and we had to check out at the Golden Club. When I was asked about my stay I said it was horrible, and related some of the events and the lady looked straight at me and said, "well ok, thank you and have a nice trip home." I asked to speak to a manager and they would not let me. I then went to the front desk and they would not let me to speak to a manager either. I filled out a complaint form and I was told that someone would speak to me about my concerns, but no one ever contacted me and when I checked on my complaint form I was told that they had no record of a complaint being made. The Golden Club worker was very sarcastic and laughed at me when I told her that I thought me and my family were treated poorly. The Golden Club worker got mean with my wife when I was not there and yelled at her and told her to leave when she was asking for help after I had cut my leg.
2nd - There were huge cockroaches on the floor in the buffet restaurant almost every day, and we found huge cockroaches in our hotel room on several occasions. We also had a huge infestation of ants in our room that no one would come and spray for despite our complaints. Our room smelled unpleasant and the air conditioner barely kept the room bearable. We stayed for 7 days and ended up booking 5 excursions just so we wouldn't have to spend time at the resort. All of the food was horrible except for the breakfast buffet which was actually not bad (and we've been to all inclusive resorts approx. 15 times).
3rd - There were people (usually a man and a woman) dressed up in feathers and costumes who tried to get people to take pictures with them at the resort. I witnessed them grabbing people by their shoulders and arms and forcing them to take pictures with them. When we walked by they asked if we wanted a picture with them and my wife said "no thank you" in a normal voice. The woman in a very sarcastic voice mocked my wife by saying "no than you" in an exaggerated American accent and then held her hand to her mouth while throwing her head back and laughing loudly. When I complained, the Golden Club employee said we've been getting lots of complaints about that. When I asked if anything was going to be done about them grabbing people and making fun of people he just smirked and turned around and walked off.
4th - A worker unlocked our door without knocking and walked in and when he saw us he said, "I need to do an inventory." My wife was in the process of changing clothes and I had to almost forcefully remove him from our room.
5th - We were harassed nonstop by timeshare people and people who had booths set up around the hotel trying to sell stuff. They would not take no for an answer and would try to put their arm around you and make you stop walking.
6th - The beach was way overcrowded, there was an excessive amount of seaweed and trash, we had our towels stolen several times, and we heard horror stories from many other guests about the resort and the way they were treated.
7th - Long story short, this is a huge resort that has way too many people and they just flat our don't care whether you have a positive experience or not. Not only was the beach overcrowded but the buffets were also overcrowded along with the restaurants and getting a ride on one of the trams was almost impossible due to overcrowding. The excursions that we took saved the vacation because if we had to stay at the hotel it would have been one of the worst weeks of my life.
We had a great time on our 5 excursions and really enjoyed the Dominican Republic, but I wouldn't wish that my worst enemy would stay at this resort. There are plenty more, and from talking with people from our excursions and viewing the other hotels firsthand, I would say that pretty much any other hotel would be better than this one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Jacuzzi Sun terraces Lounger, sun umbrella and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, multi-sports court Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Meeting and convention room 1 buffet restaurant and 5 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 16 bars Wedding gazebo Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Punta Blanca Golf Club (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, disco and casino Rooms 756 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with Jacuzzi, hair dryer and a full range of amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda). Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Baby Station Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teen's club Other Services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) WiFi in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Gran Bahia Principe