New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Attention!!! Horrible Experience! The worst hotel I've ever experienced.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #53 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Oklahoma
“Attention!!! Horrible Experience! The worst hotel I've ever experienced.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

***Please understand that I usually scoff at people who rip on a resort and generally think they are just negative people. Also, please keep in mind that this is the first time I have ever complained to a hotel about anything, and the first time I've ever posted anything negative about a hotel.***

1st - We had a free upgrade to the "Golden Club" which was completely worthless. By being a member of the Golden Club, the workers in the Golden Club are supposed to be much more helpful and/or accommodating. They were less helpful than anyone at the resort (which isn't saying much because no one there was helpful). They would not tell me when my flight left. They refused to look it up for me. They would not give me a recommendation about what time I should leave the hotel for my flight. They would not discuss possible things to do while on our vacation. They would only tell me to contact my booking representative, and they would not help me find out where in the hotel he was located. I BADLY cut my leg on one of many pieces of glass inside the hotel pool from a broken pool light. I found out that the hotel knew of the broken light but failed to pick out the glass and that several others had been cut, including children. I had to stand by the pool for over 30 minutes by myself, bleeding on the pool deck and try to keep children away from the light and broken glass, no one would help. I had no idea where to go and was more worried about someone else getting hurt to leave. After waiting for 40 minutes for someone to show up i was told by security that my cut only needed ice. My wife went all the way to the Golden Club to try to get me some help and was told that nothing could be done and basically that it was my fault. I only wanted someone trained in the medical field to take a look at it but they would not provide anyone. My wife was treated very poorly by the Golden Club people and they would not provide a cart to either take me to my room or to the medical clinic as my leg continued to gush blood. They would not provide a cart to take my wife back to where I was. We were told that we could leave and take a taxi to a doctor if we wanted to. We were with my 6 year old son at the time who was VERY upset over the entire experience. I finally gave up and walked to the onsite clinic (bleeding all over the sidewalk the entire walk) and a nice lady (not affiliated with the hotel) took a look at it and said she thought I would be ok. The hotel made me pay for for everything for the treatment of my leg and never once apologized. The pool light had been out of it's socket all day (and broken) with bare electrical wires exposed. Someone could have been very badly injured or worse. When we left the next day the lights and bare wires were still exposed. The day I got back I received multiple stitches to the wound. Much of the glass was also in the kiddie pool. I have never experienced WORSE SERVICE and more RUDE PEOPLE at a hotel in my ENTIRE LIFE. The next day after my injury was our last day and we had to check out at the Golden Club. When I was asked about my stay I said it was horrible, and related some of the events and the lady looked straight at me and said, "well ok, thank you and have a nice trip home." I asked to speak to a manager and they would not let me. I then went to the front desk and they would not let me to speak to a manager either. I filled out a complaint form and I was told that someone would speak to me about my concerns, but no one ever contacted me and when I checked on my complaint form I was told that they had no record of a complaint being made. The Golden Club worker was very sarcastic and laughed at me when I told her that I thought me and my family were treated poorly. The Golden Club worker got mean with my wife when I was not there and yelled at her and told her to leave when she was asking for help after I had cut my leg.

2nd - There were huge cockroaches on the floor in the buffet restaurant almost every day, and we found huge cockroaches in our hotel room on several occasions. We also had a huge infestation of ants in our room that no one would come and spray for despite our complaints. Our room smelled unpleasant and the air conditioner barely kept the room bearable. We stayed for 7 days and ended up booking 5 excursions just so we wouldn't have to spend time at the resort. All of the food was horrible except for the breakfast buffet which was actually not bad (and we've been to all inclusive resorts approx. 15 times).

3rd - There were people (usually a man and a woman) dressed up in feathers and costumes who tried to get people to take pictures with them at the resort. I witnessed them grabbing people by their shoulders and arms and forcing them to take pictures with them. When we walked by they asked if we wanted a picture with them and my wife said "no thank you" in a normal voice. The woman in a very sarcastic voice mocked my wife by saying "no than you" in an exaggerated American accent and then held her hand to her mouth while throwing her head back and laughing loudly. When I complained, the Golden Club employee said we've been getting lots of complaints about that. When I asked if anything was going to be done about them grabbing people and making fun of people he just smirked and turned around and walked off.

4th - A worker unlocked our door without knocking and walked in and when he saw us he said, "I need to do an inventory." My wife was in the process of changing clothes and I had to almost forcefully remove him from our room.

5th - We were harassed nonstop by timeshare people and people who had booths set up around the hotel trying to sell stuff. They would not take no for an answer and would try to put their arm around you and make you stop walking.

6th - The beach was way overcrowded, there was an excessive amount of seaweed and trash, we had our towels stolen several times, and we heard horror stories from many other guests about the resort and the way they were treated.

7th - Long story short, this is a huge resort that has way too many people and they just flat our don't care whether you have a positive experience or not. Not only was the beach overcrowded but the buffets were also overcrowded along with the restaurants and getting a ride on one of the trams was almost impossible due to overcrowding. The excursions that we took saved the vacation because if we had to stay at the hotel it would have been one of the worst weeks of my life.

We had a great time on our 5 excursions and really enjoyed the Dominican Republic, but I wouldn't wish that my worst enemy would stay at this resort. There are plenty more, and from talking with people from our excursions and viewing the other hotels firsthand, I would say that pretty much any other hotel would be better than this one.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank Sepher77
, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Shepper,

Thank you for staying at Bahia Principe Punta Cana recently and sharing your feed-back with other travellers.

We are sincerely sorry that your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to make it better for your next visit.

We strive everyday to provide our guests the best service.

We hope that you will consider staying at Bahia Principe Punta Cana again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known around the world.

Best Regards.

Iván G. Teijeiro Doce.
Hotel Manager.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,334)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed here four nights... what a mistake that was.Sould have read all the other bad reviews.! Once they get your money your had! Save your money and frustration and stay somewhere else. You might think your going to paradise but your going to a lil piece of hell. Gran Bahia Principe punta Canta is just all about the money and how much of yours can they get. Customer service is just not what is used to be and when they know you're from another country they take advantage of it. Keep your money and valuables at your side because there's a lot of stealing from the staff at this place also...don't leave anything in your room that you would like to keep. The management will just over look it as if it didn't even happen and the staff know it so trhey keep doing it. Not a fun family vacation! Go to the Cayman Islands or Aruba anywhere but here. They will get you from the very minute you enter your charge card information.

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank pigtail1963
, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Pigtail,

Thank you for your recent stay with us,

We apologize that this incident happened on our property and that you had a negative experience at our hotel. Security of our guests is a priority for Bahia Principe Punta Cana.

Our Security Manager and the rest of the security team follow all of the necessary procedures in every situation. Once the guest of the room, reports the loss of the item inside the room, security conducts a door audit. Door audits allow us to track which keys unlock the resort doors. This is used as a safety measure for our guests.

Please rest assured that our company expect the highest trust and honesty from all its staff working at any of the group’s resort. We do not tolerate any breach of such trust, especially when it comes to theft cases. Any such case would result in the immediate termination of the guilty employee.

Best regards.

Iván G. Teijeiro.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

So disappointed. The resort is 2 stars more than 5 stars, it's not worth expense the money in there. You feel itching because some little animal(s) running around in the room, the cleaners are lazy and don't understand what you need. Most of the receptionists, waiters and waitress don't know how to speak the english, even though the simple word(s), morning call is not on time when you need it. Foods are not enough and not much choice for peak hours in summer. Very confusing for where you go because two resorts at the same place, the receptions and buffets area outlook is no different, living area need expense more time to find out. Beach is not clean. Travel agency is not honest when I got the information from them before I am booked. Never went to the resort is worse than this one. Won't be go again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Grace C
, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Dear Grace,

Thank you for providing your feedback of our hotel, we appreciate you taking the time to do so. I regret to hear that your experience was not a positive one.

I have followed up with our staff regarding this, as well as your concerns.
Details such as spotless grounds and great service are what set us apart and I am sorry to hear you did not experience all of them. We strive to create the very best experience possible for our guests according to our standards.

We would love to welcome you back and have the opportunity to not only meet your expectations but to exceed them. We hope to have the chance to do so.

Best Regards.

Iván G. Teijeiro.
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

My family and I had a great time at GBP Royal Golden between june15-22. There is realy not more to say , all previous reviews have covered everything. Services were great , the resort is very clean , you could see the staff every morning cleaning the grounds with shampoo , landscaping was being done also every day , our room was cleaned every day and the minibar restocked daily , even though we only drank beer and water , i thing it was a lot of waste with the pop bottles , there were 1 pepsi , 1 diet pepsi , 1 orange pop and 1 of 7up . The only thing I didn't like was the ocean , the water was full of seawead and couldn't enjoy it too much ; chairs were enough and the beach is very large and nice . We stayed in rooms 21210 and 21211 which were located in the second building from the pool and the view was great , we were able to see the ocean from the balcony ; the smell in the room was a bit moldy , but I guess there is not much they could due , it's because of the high humidity , but I brought some Febreez with us and that helped .The food was good , we only ate at the buffet , didn't go to any a la carte restaurants . There are lots of mosquitos at night and everybody should have OFF for that . The only thing that I would recommend for this resort is to change or do something about the pool grounds which were very slippery when we were had our feet wet ; I found it very unsafe and even saw few people falling , hope they didn"t get hurt too bad .What I would like to add is a big thank you to the reception staff who managed to accomodate our needs by giving us the rooms we had requested 2 weeks before via e-mail.
Overall , it was a great vacation but time went too fast ; I would recommend this resort to anybody and we are gonna go back for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SORINA_C
, Customer Service Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Sorina,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Royal Golden Hotel.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your vacations.
We regret to hear that your perception about the pool grounds was not positive, however be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager attention.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward, such a wonderful comments, to all our reception staff.

Looking forward to seeing you soon

Regards from Bavaro!!

María Maciá Bas
Customer Service Manager
Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

My family and I, wife and 2 kids, 7 and 9 stayed here last August for 17 nights! Great food,people,rooms,beach everything was great. We stayed during the hurricane last august and still had a great time. My opinion is a vacation is what you make of it. If you read all the bad reviews and then go to that resort your gonna have a bad time. If you go with a open mind and have fun and treat people "staff" the way you want to be treated and actually tip people for there service you will have a awesome time!!! We have stayed at gbp in rio San Juan and just booked 2 weeks in August for gbp in Jamaica. I would recommend the upgrade if offered, gold, diamond, or Esmeralda is definitly worth the extra! As for the kids, they had a BLAST!!! Tons of stuff to do all day and night. Drinks were great and the al la cart's are awesome. Buffet was good. The only thing I didn't like was the flea market on Monday night, really pushy people but easy to avoid once you know they are there. We also took a few excursions, stay away from the go cart trail ride!!! Not a good time unless you like riding through a septic tank and breaking down every 10 min! The catamaran ride was nice and kid friendly and plenty to do for everyone.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Erick C
, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Erick,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen once again one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that you could enjoy a nice time together during your last stay with us.

As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us . It is thanks to guests like you, that our Company has reached the success and gained prestige through the last years.

Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward, such a wonderful comments, to all our staff.

Looking forward to seeing you soon in Jamaica

Regards from Bahía Príncipe!!