“Awesome time with Family”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #66 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Awesome time with Family”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

My husband, daughter, son and I joined my cousins for a visit June 5th- 12th. The service, food, friendliness of the staff and other international guests, entire entertainment and ambiance was superb. The selection and variety of food was incredible! The beach was picture perfect full of palm trees and guano huts with kayaks, catamarans, etc available for our use. Our son learned to sail and my husband-daughter would not miss the funny show at the pool every afternoon. It was wonderful being with my cousins making it one of the best family vacations we have ever had. I laughed for an entire week and still sing the "Yo volvere a Bahia Principe" song. Gracias for a wonderful vacation. Maria

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Maria,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Punta Cana Hotel.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your family vacations.

Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially the service provided by the working staff and the variety of food. This is what definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence and give us the motivation to work every day as a devoted and committed team.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Looking forward to seeing you soon

Regards from Bavaro!!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,481)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My husband and I have been traveling to the DR on vacation for the past 23 years, we started going to Puerto Planta, then on to Punta Cana were we stayed at various resorts. 8 years ago we tried Bahia Principe Punta Cana and this has become our "second" home. we stayed from June 5th to 19th and this was our 20th trip to this resort. The rooms are very clean,excellent food, the staff goes out of their way to please you, from the resort's manager to the people that clean the beach. If you want to be closer to the beach I suggest you buy the package for the Club Golden. If you want privacy and romance then book at Bahia Principe Ambar, adults only. the Esmeralda is the newest addition and children allowed. We enjoy this resort so much that we are going back again on July 28th and will bring our grandchildren with us, it will be their first trip.
Make sure to also include in your package the airport transfers.
Ketty N.

Room Tip: Rooms in Villa 3 and up are less noisy, as villas 1 and 2 are closer to the main pool and you will h...
2 Thank Ketty N
, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Ketty:

Thanks for your review and thanks for staying with us again at your second home Bahia Principe Punta Cana.

We are happy to hear that we meet all of your accommodation needs, and we will continue to strive to get better at what we do. All your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding departments.

Can't wait to see you again!

Iván G. Teijeiro Doce.
Hotel Manager.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We visited once before in April 2011 and decided it would make for a nice location for a v small wedding. 23 of our nearest and dearest were impressed with the value and decided to come with us in may 2012. We couldn't have been happier - the service, food, friendliness and ambience was superb. The resort was a little quieter than our first visit, which made it a fraction better. The travel agent has booked some of our party at the Bavaro in error and the hotel upgraded to give access to both resorts too.
We would highly recommend a wedding, special occasion visit or just a holiday trip. Our party included kids, teenagers, couples and singles and everyone had a great time. We are looking at visiting again as soon as we can....

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for club golden on booking - you get a few extras. We request top floor rooms t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Claire,

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing Bahia Principe Punta Cana for your visit to Punta Cana. We are so pleased you enjoy your time with us so much. I have already shared your review with the team here and your kind words are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Iván G. Teijeiro Doce.
Hotel Manager.
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I married my husband 5 years ago at this resort (well, technically on the Bavaro side). I must say that travelling with 2 small children, it was a different experience than our last visit, but to no fault of the resort. You can tell the resort is on the older side – 5 years ago the Ambar and Esmeralda did not exist… they were just starting to build the Esmeralda area, and the Ambar replaced the adult only section of the Punta Cana/Bavaro portion. With that said, they maintain the buildings and gardens beautifully. One day they were painting the hallway/staircase of our building and the housekeeper was washing the floor of the hall with soap. They wash the walkways and square each morning, so although on the older side, it is still a beautiful resort to stay at. If you tend to focus on small cracks on the wall type thing, then pay more and stay at the Esmeralda or Ambar.
What we did notice since our last visit is that there seems to be more opportunities to buy things. What I mean by this is that there will be kiosks near the pool with pool toys, lotion, etc. It is run by Bahia so there is no sales pressure. However, in the central area between the lobby and resort, the last stop of the tram to get to the main buffets, they have local vendors. So you get a lot of “hey lady, come look” when all you want to do it feed your kids (one dislike is that dinner at the main buffets do not start until 6:30pm and my kids are used to eating at 5pm so I really wasn’t in the mood to go past these vendors and deal with cranky kids). I noticed it Friday night when we arrived and Monday night, so I’m not too sure of when they are there. Since we were located to the tram at the side, we used that one to get to the buffet. LIKE – those trams go all the way to the lobby so there are less steep ramps to maneuver on to get to the restaurant. Also LIKE – the trams have the “stops” mapped and which villas, restaurants, etc are at each stop so you don’t have to guess. That was new since we were last there.
Also, since our last visit, the snorkeling is now inshore. Meaning that they don’t take you out by boat, they give you the equipment and you snorkel around in the designated swimming area. We were disheartened by this change of service.

Travel provider: Air Transat (therefore we were classified to be Bahia Principe Punta Cana). We had silver bracelets and access to all Bavaro and Punta Cana restaurants and upgraded alcoholic beverages.
Travelling with: husband, my mother, 4 year old, 1 year old
Restaurants: Since the resort was at capacity, we were already booked at 2 a la cartes through our travel provider. We cancelled both (we didn’t really like the Mexican for dinner last time we were there and the other reservation was too late in the evening). Also, it was hard getting anything for more than 2 people at the French restaurant, which was a shame, because that was a good restaurant to eat at. All restaurants are A/C except for the snack bars at the beach and the BBQ restaurant which is located next to the beach and open air (with huts above head). We ended up with 3 out of 4 – Garden Grill (really good), the Italian (it was okay), and Japanese (food was WAY too salty and not really good for kids). The a la carte gave us a break from the same old buffet services. REALLY LIKED the La Olas snack bar for lunch (opens 12:30pm) – you can walk right in from the pool or beach and had a great variety that everyone like.
Shows: My 4 year old really like the mini club at 8pm in the square and on Thursday they do a pretty good Lion King show. In the main theatre we liked Michael Jackson (Mon nights) & a Circus show (Thurs night). DISLIKE – the main shows start at 9:45pm which is too late for my kids and frankly too late for me – you parents know what I’m talking about :) Maybe it starts earlier during other months of the year when it gets darker sooner, but I had trouble keeping my eyes open when it started.
Beach/Pool: We stayed near the kiddie pool of the south pool and that area of the beach. We could find chairs at 8am by the pool and it was no problem finding chairs in the shade on the beach – lots of palm trees and even though the resort was at capacity, there were free chairs to be found.
Mini Club/Kids club: My daughter liked it there, but after being at Beaches T&C I didn’t trust to leave her there on her own (Beaches T&C provided cell phones and just seemed more servicable. She liked the little kiddie jungle gym and house they had and ping pong, etc. DISLIKE: no A/C & they do not look after kids under 4 (again, spoiled by Beaches T&C).
Tipping: Even though it is an all inclusive resort, many people still tip. The booklet we got from our travel agent mentioned that “tips are accepted and are at your discretion. We recommend leaving between 10% and 15%...” We tend to tip our housekeeper on a daily basis, but after we requested water the first day and left money and didn’t get water, we stopped leaving tips and made all our requests through reception. I found the service didn’t change – they pride themselves on good service and will provide a good service whether tipped or not. We started to tip for over and above services – for example one waiter went out of his way to find my baby cold milk.
Issues: We had a few issues – nothing major, but it was a headache since we had to request or call a few times before it was resolved. With that said, once it was resolved, they would do something ‘extra’ to make up for the hassle. Some examples:
1) We had a room booking issue – we requested ahead of time that my mom be close or adjoining to our room. It did not happen at check in. The next day, they thought we wanted to be closer to her room (building 5 which is closer to the lobby instead of the pool or beach), so that got screwed up and was still not fixed. Finally, the third day, not only did they manage to get her closer, but they put her in the room beside us (which I think was an upgrade from her booking to begin with) and they gave us an a la carte reservation as a ‘sorry we screwed up’ type thing. It wasn’t major as we were going to reside to the fact she was across the resort if it wasn’t resolved the third day – I just had to call after 10am to speak to a certain person both days – not too bad.
2) Clogged toilet – I think maintenance has the best response time – let’s start with that. However, the toilet clogged in the evening and we were about to go to sleep (kids and all) so we were told to call back the next day to give them permission to enter the room that day to resolve it. We didn’t call since the toilet seemed to sort itself out, but when it got clogged again and we called back, they arrived and fixed it no problem. Actually – TIP – if you find the tank is slow to fill, call reception to advice them to have maintenance come out… they can increase the power of the flush and you can avoid those embarrassing clogged calls.
3) Fresh bed sheets & more water – this one frustrated me the most. It think I logged a call with reception about 3 or 4 times for each issue before it was resolved. My 4 year old wet the bed during an afternoon nap and it took about 4 phone calls before it was resolved for bedtime. With that said, they exchanged fresh blue towels (pool/beach towels you normally refresh yourself at a kiosk), our regular towels, and topped up the mini bar. Again, took a few calls but then once it was resolved, they did something extra like change the blue towels.

I totally understand island time, or whatever you want to call it, but do not tell me 2 minutes… you will get a phone call ½ hr later. So above when I say 3 or 4 calls… it’s probably a span of 2-4 hours depending on the time of day and if we’re at the pool. The bed sheet one… we left the room to go to the pool and when we came back to get ready for dinner (2 hours later) it wasn’t done. So I called and they said 2 minutes… it didn’t happen so I called again before we left for dinner and I think my husband had to call when he came back to the room with our infant. I mean, yeah, 4 calls but that’s because I don’t have the patience to wait for island time when my kid has to sleep by 9pm.

Room Tip: If you have stayed at a Bahia resort anywhere in the world, mention you are a return guest and you a...
5 Thank MrsSTVO
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This was the wife and my first trip to punta cana. We arrived at noon and quickly cleared the airport and onto the shuttle to the hotel. A quick check in process and only a short wait for the room to be prepared, which gave us time to go for the buffet lunch which we were very impressed with. It was then onto the small cart to take us to our room, we stayed in building 18 3rd floor. The room was well cleaned and restocked each day, especially if you remember to change the do not disturb sign to clean room please. The grounds were kept immaculate and it was a pleasure to walk to the beach rather than using the small bus which takes you there.The pools and beach were kept clean and we had no problems in getting chairs under shady thatched umbrellas. The buffet lunch near the pool area at the Pisces was a welcome break from lying on the beach and Santos and Miguel behind the bar make sure that you are well lubricated with their cocktails. We stayed for the week and found that we were not interested in going for the al a carte restuarants which are dotted all over the resort, we were content with the buffets and their themed nights. The evening entertainments were good family fun and the reception area and bars were candlelit and playing soft music. Everyone working in the resort were happy and pleasant and would always greet you with a smile, they were all well dressed, well groomed no matter were they were working. We had a wonderful holiday and would recommend this resort to couples and families, great for children.

Room Tip: Very quiet on 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Louise,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Hotel.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations and be assured that it is wonderful to know that you had everything you needed.

Looking forward to seeing you soon