“Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Nashua,NH
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

My wife and I just returned from our anniversary trip at the Sanctuary and we have already started to plan a return trip for next year. We were married at the resort last year while it was still under the Secrets management and were nervous about the transition. Within minutes of arriving at Sanctuary all of our fears were gone. After seeing some familiar faces from last year(Bernardo,Carolina,Micky Mouse,Jarlin) we felt assured that not much has changed. The resort is as beautiful and well kept as before, if not more so. The resort is simply gorgeous from the landscape to the architecture, every corner holds a different breath taking view. This is in part due to the hard working grounds crew and maid service at the resort. They are as hardworking as they are friendly and polite. The entire staff from the waiters and waitresses, the bartenders, bellboys, and event teams are all so friendly they make you feel at home. It is difficult to pick only a few of them to praise because the entire group works as a team to provide guests with the best stay possible and it shows. The dining options were great and the food was excellent at all of the restaurants. We really can't pick a favorite because they are all exceptional. The food was excellent as well as the service. The 24hr room service was a nice touch as well The beach is on the small side but it was clean and there were plenty of seats available, and the colors of the ocean speaks for itself. Every bartender and waitress is beyond friendly and it was a pleasure getting to know some of them while having some of their special drinks. Bernardo at the swim up bar and Luis at the Ocean Club, we miss you already. A special Thank You as well to Jarlin the head concierge. Jarlin took so much of her time to make sure our return trip was as memorable as ever and she did. It is amazing that as busy as she is with all the guests she takes the time to make sure everyone feels at home and has everything they need, all with a smile on her face. Thank You Thank You Thank You to everyone at Sanctuary for giving us another wonderful experience-you are all the best! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a truly memorable vacation. Also, if anyone is worried about children being allowed, we only saw 1 our entire stay.

Room Tip: Every room looked great we loved the honeymoon suite in the fortress
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Adam M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,254)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Griffin, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

My new husand and I went on our honeymoon at The Sanctuary Cap Cana. This was the most amazing vacation I ever been on. We arrived on May the 20th at 2pm and were immediately greeted by the Cheif Conceirge, Jarlin Gonzalez. She took around the resort showing us the shopping area, restaurants and then to our 1st room. This room was amazing with a incredible view of one of the many pools and the ocean. We asked her if we could look at maybe upgrading the room and she did not hesitate to open the resort up to us. She spent about an hour and a half showing us the other rooms that were open to us. We looked at some amazing rooms. We had decided to upgrade to what I would call a bugalow which had french doors that lead right to the beach. We were so impressed with the excellent service and fantastic food they had to offer. Every day got better the last. We went on several excursions all of which were incredible, incluing Dolphin swimming, ziplining and Snorkling. MY wonderful and amazing husband planned a VERY romantic dinner on the beach right off our back porch. We had an amazing Rock Lobster dinner and our very own servers, that was the most romantic moment of my life. Everyday they had water aerobics and dance lessons by the pool. OMG The pool area looks over the most amazing view of the ocean. Everynight they had a show at Love Piano Bar which included Dominican style dance show, a magic show, an International dance show and karoke. All of which we enjoyed very much. All of the food was so amazing and so well represented. The most amazing food I have ever had on a resort. This staff were very personal and attentive and made us feel like we were part of the family. Thank you so much for making our honeymoon so memorable and Incredible. We will definitely be going back for a second visit. Hopefully, for our first anniverary.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room on the resort. But the bugalow we stayed in we had an aweso...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne S
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Hello everyone,

My name is Anne Borg and I work in the Travel Industry and currently work at LUXE Destination Weddings and I have travelled and seen some of the best hotels in the Caribbean. I want to say that I have never ever written a review about any of the properties I have visited but thought the Sanctuary Cap Cana deserved a review so everyone would know exactly how amazing it is.

My last trip was to Anguilla and I was lucky enough to stay at the Viceroy and Cuisinart which were both over the top beautiful properties. I actually thought I would never enjoy myself in one of the more common Caribbean Islands like Punta Cana or the Mayan ever again after experiencing the beauty of Anguilla.

Well guess I was wrong! I was fortunate enough to book my family of 9 to the Sanctuary Cap Cana in May 2012 for 7 nights. We booked the Fortress (Adults Only) section and we stayed in the Junior Suite Ocean Front Category which were absolutely beautiful and spacious. My husband and I were fortunate enough to stay in the Honeymoon Suite with our own infinity pool which I can honestly say was worth every penny. The room and patio were amazing! The Ocean Front view is forever in my memory!!! Enough about the rooms because it won't matter which room category you book at the property all rooms, villas etc are exceptional (I viewed all of the rooms and was totally surprised that every room catgeory was to perfection)!

Property - I am sure from the pictures you have seen you will agree that the entire property is spectacular. Every building was designed with elegance and so different from the Standard Hotels you see in Punta Cana. The pictures online are exactly what you get. I am so use to reviewing hotels and the pictures are never what you see when you arrive. Not at the Sanctuary! Exactly the same. Just beyond your wildest dreams.

Cap Cana - For those of you who are not familiar with this region - this remote area of Punta Cana is an exclusive Gated Area and only 15 minutes from the Airport. Once you arrive to Cap Cana you are now in Heaven! This property and area of Punta Cana makes you feel like you are on an island all by yourself. No neighbouring hotels, nobody bothering you to buy trinkets that you will never use, totally private!!!

As you can see myself and my family had an amazing time and will be going back later this summer with some of our friends. Cannot Wait!

Before I end this review I want to also recognize the staff of the Sanctuary Cap Cana. Everyone is so wonderful and they do everything possible to make your stay a memorable one. From the front desk to the staff in all of the restaurants. Everyone is always smiling and greeting all of the guests. I did not get everyone's names but I want to recognize a few of the staff members who we will always remember:

1. Bernardo - Our amazing Bartender at the Swim Up Bar - you are the best! You and your staff made us laugh and served the best cocktails ever!!!!
2. Keila - Entertainment Staff - What a wonderful experience you provided me and my family. She made sure that we were happy at all times.
3. Miky - Also part of the Entertainment Staff - we ended up adopting Miky for the week as one of our children - Thank you so much for being so amazing! My family was sad to say good bye to him!!
4. Kary - Sales Manager - What can I say! Thank you, Thank you and thank you. You were so wonderful. You took time out of your busy schedule to spend time with me and show me not only Sanctuary Cap Cana but also the Beautiful Fishing Lodge (Definitely another amazing additional to the collection of hotels in Cap Cana). Kary my family loved you! Talk soon!
5. Matthew - I have been working with Matthew from the Salamander group for almost a year now and he has been able to work magic for me. Thank you for everything you do for me.

I also want to add that no one at the hotel knew who I was or what my occupation is. I wanted to truly see what type of service and hospitality my future wedding groups would be receiving.

Once again, from the bottom of my heart - thank you for a wonderful week!

Anne Borg and Famiy - till we meet again!

Room Tip: I loved the Fortress - but really would like to stay in the Beach Front Villa's on my next visit...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank anneborg
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

We visited this place on a business trip and were surprised how nice it was, the service was excellent and they keep it very clean, it rained a few days on us but it was in and out quickly. Not much really to do there so you had to taxi into town or catch a shuttle. Nice but wouldn't go back

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael B
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

My wife and I stayed 5/20/12 - 5/28/12 on our honeymoon, and were overall VERY pleased with our stay. This was the first time for both of us to stay at an all-inclusive resort.

When we booked, it was "Secrets" Sanctuary, all-inclusive, adults only. Now owned by Salamander, they have other, non all-inclusive plans, and children are welcome (we saw 2-3 tops). We were transported to the resort by "Prieto Tours", and were greeted upon arrival with welcome drinks as we checked in (no line). Originally, we booked a Castle Jr. Suite Oceanview room, but they upgraded us to a Honeymoon suite with a private plunge pool at no charge. They were probably able to do this because the resort was at 15% occupany :D .... Transported by golf cart to our room, "honeymoon" banner on the door, and a plate of fresh fruit and chilled bottle of champagne were waiting for us. Our room was beautiful, and the maid / room service was great - once mid-morning, and also turndown service. Our private plunge pool was a little chilly, but felt nice during the hottest part of the day. Our mini-fridge was stocked daily with bottled water, sodas, and canned beer. The restaurants were all great, and we had excellent service everywhere. Room service usually arrived in 10-15 min. There are resident cats that lounge around the resort and kept their distance from us. Wife is a cat person to put it lightly - she requested room service to bring a fish filet with our meal so we could feed el gato - they obliged haha. The beach was beautiful but small, and not much for swimming, as there was seaweed everywhere. The staff worked hard to rake it up every day, but there was an endless supply drifting in. All the cocktails we had were amazing, and the bartenders were all willing to make anything we wanted. The grounds of the resort were immaculate and beautiful - very well kept.

Our stay was more than satisfactory and worth every penny, but I will mention a couple of negatives. For every drink we ordered and every meal we ate we had to sign a receipt, as if closing out a tab. Not sure why we had to do this. Also, we brought a lot of tipping money, and tipped very well all week. We ran out of $1's, and for the last two days walked around everywhere to try to break some bigger bills.. nobody would help us with this. We asked at 3-4 bars, a couple of restaurants, front desk, concierge, room service staff, etc.. Nobody had any $1's to give us, or even attempted to call around and find help. At checkout I asked one last time if they had change for a $5, and they said no. Then they told us we had a $2.00 gratuity fee for the main pool bar. All I had was a $5, and they sighed, went around the corner, and came back with five $1's. POOF! I guess it was magic. Besides this, we had a great stay! Hopefully we can come back soon!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple