“Great beach and fine hotel”
Review of TRS Turquesa Hotel

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #51 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottawa
“Great beach and fine hotel”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We spent two weeks at the Royal Turquesa at the end of March 2012 and found that it met all of our expectations. A modern clean well situated hotel with a good selection of food. It was certainly a 4 star in terms of food and a 5 star in terms of everything else. Many peole have mentioned the undrinkable Spanish house wine and we would agree - strange that you would couple a zero star wine with a 5 star hotel, but I guess Paladium must have their reasons - it had no impact on the enjoyment of our holiday. Tennis courts were in reasonable shape and the pros were always available for lessons ( free I suspect) , or to join in to play. The beach was in excellent shape and the water was perfect. Overall we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank headingsomeplace
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New Brunswick
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This was our sixth visit to the Palladium and our 4th to the Royal Suites in the past 5 years. We had a late flight arrival so it was 0130 when we checked into our room. Geronimo was on reception and was very pleasant and efficient. Luckily for us there was availability and we were able to upgrade to a swim up suite. We were located in building #58 with afternoon sun. It was perfect for us.

On our first morning walk to the beach we met other Palladium Addict members, Bira and goldengirl. They were enjoying the morning sun of their swim up rooms. It was great to get to know both of them and their husbands. We found the resort less busy on our first week so the towel game wasn’t as bad as in previous years. We didn’t see any abuse of people saving chairs and not using them. They were used! The second week was the busiest. You had to be to the beach or pool area early to save a lounger. This was the week following Easter weekend.

Our room was absolutely beautiful. We had a wonderful maid, Lourdes. She did an awesome job. We became very close despite the language barrier.

The butlers were outstanding. So friendly and there to assist with any need. We had a lot of contact with Abel, Melky, Triana, Domingo and Carlos. They are very personable and I enjoyed getting to know each one of them. It is not necessary to see your own building butler. You can go to any one of the butlers at any time and you’ll never be questioned why. Sometimes they can be busy with things that take them away from their desk and may not be in your building but you can always find one at another site. I also had the pleasure of meeting David, Maximo and Zuray.

I really think there are more loungers at the beach than seen in other years. I am not sure about this but there were many. The palapa’s are kept up in good condition. I see that as they were replaced they were made bigger which is nice for more shade. The Bali beds were well in use and some of the brave souls tried the hammocks only to find it difficult to get out again! Good for a photo opportunity. The beach was well maintained as per usual.

We saw a trolley train and extended golf carts that went regularly. The golf carts are super quiet and more environmentally friendly than the train trolley. The Royal suites golf carts were well utilized and the bell boys are so willing to take you anywhere. Sometimes the best intentions to walk are replaced by “you are on vacation let us take care of you”. It was so nice to see Thomas again and to meet Gerison and Carlos. I can’t remember the other names of the drivers but they deserve mention as well.

I tell you one could not ask for better service in all areas of this resort.

We went to the Manager’s cocktail party and again were impressed with the way management connects with their clients. We met Daphane of room division and loved speaking with her. She secured us a drive so that we could make our reservation for the Steak house on time. We managed to walk a lot too but the golf carts were a bonus if you wanted to wear “heels” to dinner.

We are use to one week vacations and this time because we booked for two weeks we decided that we were going to go to as many a la cartes that we could while still going to the two RST restaurants. We went to the Spanish(El Quijote) twice as our friend Miquel works there. The whole staff there knew we were his “vacation family”. I love the ambiance of the smaller a la cartes and the El Quijote is one of my favorites. We went to the Pirates Beach Barbeque and had the perfect night for it. Warm, no breeze, full moon.....I really wanted to try it and am glad that I did. However,if I was only going for one week then I would have given it a miss because there are so many other options that I would rather try. We met a lovely couple from the UK. They were seated with us. I loved that they filled the tables so you got to meet other guests. We ate at the Bamboo, La Parrilla and Chef Raffaele restaurants. We were seated in the wine room at the Steak house. We got to see our hostess friend, Sonia who we met 8 yrs ago while staying in the Bavaro section. It was such a delight to call out her name and to see the recognition on her face. We took in the Japanese cooking show and met another couple that we shared stories and drinks with at Hemingway’s afterwards. We enjoyed all of our meals. We love the Palladium for its fine dining but sometimes our choices are also about the positive experiences with the staff and the ambiance of the restaurants. We ate at Le Chanterelle twice and the Royal Gourmet three times. The staff is exceptional here and the food goes without saying. I find the French decor very beautiful. The Royal Gourmet doesn’t have the ambiance of the other restaurants but makes up for it with their wonderful staff and food. Lunch was at the Royal Gourmet or Bohio. We went to El Arrecife once but preferred Bohio. Every day breakfast was at the Royal Gourmet.

My husband has become a fan of Imperial Rum. Even I who normally does not like rum could tell the difference when Imperial Rum was in the drinks. It was better. We walked to Cusie Boutique and I fell in love with this shop. Very nice merchandise. It is new, clean and so accessible from the beach. I bought good quality vanilla in a 6 oz size, sealed bottles plus a small bag of cacao and my husband bought his Imperial Rum.

It was nice to meet Ronny and Octavio in our travels around the Royal Suites. They are very eager to hear how your vacation experience is.

It was a great vacation. All you need to pack along with your luggage is a good attitude and a smile.

4 Thank NBmaple
Yardley,PA
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I like you read many of the recent reviews of this resort before selecting. Unfortunately I had choose to believe the reviews and booked our Spring vacation there, the first week of April. Because of the reviews read I was looking forward to sort sort of upgrade, or at least some attempt to make us feel welcome and special. Since I had also read about the swim up rooms I was surprised at how insignificant they made them sound and wouldn't entertain the possibility of even upgrading or offerring to upgrade for an additional fee (which was quite surprising). While I felt we had paid for a room that was NOT the basic one and was a grade or two above, the actual room did not seem special, nor did the musty odor that we complained about but did not seem to get any better. Complaints about the refrigerator or shower while not ignored were addressed very casually. And despite the diligent efforts by some of the staff (Melky, Provencial, and Triana), the overall experience was somewhat lacking. And if your into working out, take a break and skip it while there.....unless you enjoy watching the attendant work out while your looking to find towels that are not there. Food in the Gourmet and French was better than average and the grounds are extremely well kept. I doubt that we will ever be returning to Punta Cane again despite having a wonderful experience during our first visit to Punta Cane many years ago.

Room Tip: Check out mustiness of room before accepting.
6 Thank pmiles918
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We just came back from the RS and I have to say that it was our best vacations so far - all is good i.e. room, food, drinks, beach, pool, and most of all the services from the RS staff. We always felt like <royal guests>. We would go back without hesitation.

3 Thank JeanneR757
canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We spent a week at this resort the beginning of April and it was absolutely wonderful. We do a great deal of research prior to commiting our vacation dollars and a few of the reviews I read leading up to our holiday caused me a great deal of concern. So, I was a bit wary as we headed south. We upgraded to a swim up room on day two and it was worth every cent. We loved the pool outside our door. The staff were great. Nothing we wanted was too much trouble. Our dear butler even came running to save me from a bug!! lol. The restaurants on the royal side were great and enjoyed every meal we had there. Ate lunch at a couple buffets and it left a little to be desired - just cannot compare with the royal food. We did eat at the japanese show cooking restaurant - it was nicely done and the food was tasty. The italian restaurant was fine as well. The beach was beautiful, lovely to walk on and not too crowded. There were always plenty of towels and places to sit. All in all, I spent all week waiting for something to complain about, but there was nothing. All aspects of this hotel were up to par and everyone was great. I seriously have to give some thought to how demanding the people with a litany of complaints must be......or perhaps it is sometimes a case of you get what you give. Some people do not treat the staff at these resorts with much respect - therefore the service they get may be a little tainted. Regardless, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a nice, relaxing mid-range priced holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
0.9 km away
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
85.8 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to TRS Turquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK