“Great Resort - Great Vacation”

The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
Ranked #51 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“Great Resort - Great Vacation”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We were at this resort from Feb 24, 2012 until March 2, 2012. This was a great resort and we will definitely be coming back.

I have a very detailed review for this resort at http://www.gistv.ca/palladium. It was too big to fit into the Trip Advisor panel so if you are interested please go to the link.

Room Tip: Read my detailed review at: http://www.gistv.ca/palladium
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank davidnicholsonshawca
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My wife and I went to RST at the end of feb

Check in. We also had problems with checking in as some of the other reviews did.Booked through westjet and payed for the old section close to the beach, but were put in the new section(55) 2nd floor with no view other than the next building. Room was nice and big but not what we wanted. Next morning went to the lobby wait in line and sort it out with 3 couples in the same boat we were in. By 2pm we were in building 50 and on our way. The problem is we paid for a 7 day vacation and lost 24 hrs sorting out the room. NOT COOL

Food. average buffets
average to good a la cartes

Service. This in our opinion was the best we have ever had. We have even stayed at a sandals and it wasn't as good as here. The wait staff is just awesome around the pool and beach. You dont have to move to get a drink if you dont want to. They are right on top of it.

Beach. This is our first time to PC and we are beach bums, but did not spend one
minute on the beach. This beach and area is way way to busy for us. Its just wall to wall people for as long as the eye could see. We spent the week at the main pool and just took in the R & R.

Overall. We liked the resort and the hard working staff. But this will be the only time we travel to PC. We like things a little less busier.

PS. The airport at Punta cana is a nightmare.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeachloversCanada
Ontario
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Background

My husband and I travel South to all inclusives about 3 times a year. In the past 4 or 5 years we have limited the resorts to Adults only unless we travelled for a family affair. With few exceptions, we try to stay at 4.5 or 5 star resorts in Mexico or DR and never return to the same resort. I usually write a review following my stay and so you know, I rate the resorts primarily based on what you get for the price paid. For example, my expectations would be very high if I paid top dollar like what is paid for the Iberostar Grand, Sanctuary Cap, Zoetry, considering they list all of these at 5 star. My expectations for Royal Suites which is 60% the price and also listed as a 5 star are high, but not as high, so I'll be more easily satisfied.

In General

We very much enjoyed our stay. The good was much greater than the bad or better said, the annoying. Please consider also when reading this review, that I truly loved RST generally and came close to giving it a 5. The feeling at this resort is great.

I always like to be wowed on first contact with the lobby. I wasn't. The lobby is new but lacks any luster. We were given a welcome drink. The check-in was inefficient and tedious. It took about 12-15 minutes and we were the only guests checking in. We were then escorted to our room by our concierge and at that point I was wowed by the impressive grounds. We booked a deluxe superior room, which is the lowest category and is located in the newer section. It was on the 3rd floor. The room was large, beautiful, marble, four poster bed, large double vanity and more bling, bling overall than the older side but the newer outside has the atmosphere of barracks in my opinion. From the 2nd or 3rd floor cement walled balcony railing, there was no view. The resort is spotless. The food and drinks are better than average, consistently. We didn't see any theatre productions. The golf cart drivers were awesome.

I would say the majority of guests are upscale and with the exception of honeymooners, aged late 40s to 60s. The make-up is I'm guessing at 60% Canadian and of those, 50% French Canadian. Many guests from the US, Russia and Germany. This was probably one of the most social resorts we have had the pleasure of visiting. We met different interesting couples every day for 10 days and had dinner often with them. The main pool just lends itself to meeting like-minded people.

In regards to entertainment, the Royal Suites Turquesa guests must go to the other Palladium resorts for any entertainment. The RST lobby is basic, no music and the lobby bar (or the lobby counter, not bar) reminded me of a deli. No mirrors, no bling at all. I believe they could increase the availability of amenities to RST guests.

Food and Beverage

The Gourmet and French restaurants are better than at most all inclusives and well prepared and presented. I especially liked to have dinner on their patio - very intimate, romantic atmosphere. We also ate at the Brazilian and the Spanish restaurants and they were very good. For lunch and breakfast, the Gourmet Restaurant was very good but we preferred lunch either at the Bavaro beach hut or the Bavaro buffet which were outstanding. The Royal Suites main pool served a continental breakfast from 10 to11, the servers went around with fruit kabobs and pizza (the pizza was actually more like focaccia) at lunch time and you could find sandwiches in the fridge early in the day. The lobby had a sandwich buffet, finger foods and desserts until 3:30. We had room service breakfast twice - cold and dried out. Room service late night was good. From 3:30 until dinner time (6:30 ?) no food was available at the Royal Suites side unless you could find a leftover sandwich or focaccia in the pool side fridges.

The drinks were consistently good and prepared with popular brand name liquors if that's what you ordered. We didn't have any fruity drinks though. There was no shortage. The house wine was hit and miss. Pool and beach side drinking cups are small, disposable plastic glasses, as opposed to the large acrylic hurricane glasses used at other resorts of this caliber.

Pool and Beach

The main pool was on the cool side and clean. We didn't try the lazy river pools on the newer side. We never hung out there. The main pool chairs were limited but lots of chairs/beds, even in the shade by the lazy river and on the beach. The beach was awesome of course. It's Punta Cana. No beach erosion for the mile stretch in front of the Palladium but it's not that wide. The only erosion, but bad erosion, we saw was south of the Palladium for about a mile stretch and we walked the beach for about 4 or 5 miles both north and south of the Palladium. A variety of good music most of the day by the main pool. No entertainers, no pool or other exercise, no games.

For the most part, service was very impressive. All but a few were very eager to help with anything, friendly, not attached to whether or not you tipped. In fact, the service was so good almost everywhere you wanted to tip, and tip often. I will now coin the term "eye contact avoidance" or "eca" for short. ECA was practiced at the pool bar and often at the lobby bar. Let's face it, I don't think too many guests expect the bartenders to jump every time someone appears at the bar, but come on... what is wrong with acknowledging, smiling and saying "I'll be with you in a minute" instead of annoyingly avoiding eye contact with the customer. In fact, at the lobby bar, too often the staff was chatting among themselves and ignoring the customers. On the other hand, the pool and beach servers were offering to bring new drinks before your old drink was finished - consistently.

All in all, a beautiful, well managed resort. Staff from golf cart drivers, maids, servers, ground keepers was 5 star.

No problem to contact me if you need more information.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank MCobsessed
Smooth Rock Falls, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We had read the reviews before leaving for our trip and it frightened us. After a two week stay at the Royal Suites, the negative comments found on this site were inaccurate. We had a wonderful time! The food, the service, the rooms were all fit for kings and queens. We talked to many return customers who had traveled to various locations around the world and had concluded that the services offered here, at the Royal Suites, were nothing less than excellent. Some have been coming back to this location for the last 5 to 10 years. (That speaks for itself!!!) All the employees take their jobs seriously and are constantly inquiring about client satisfaction.
We were extremely pleased with everything and will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Rooms in the newest section are nicer but are further from the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Johanne M
Merrickville, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed at this property for one week having spent hours researching the perfect property for our winter holiday. I really wanted to give a rating of 5 to the Royal Suites but they just are not quite there yet. I'll talk about the bad at the end because there is a lot of good about this place as well.

We booked through WestJet Vacations because of their outstanding customer service and on-time performance. They did not disappoint. There on the ground person, Lauren, was first rate. One of the things we really appreciated about them is that they will only sell tours that they have high ethical standards for how they treat the environment, animals, and their employees. We will be booking future holidays with WestJet.

I cannot say enough about the great staff who worked the bars, restaurants, room service, maid service, buters, and groundskeepers as well and the porters who drove us around the resort. I have never been to a resort where these staff members were so consistently outstanding.

We stayed in the older section at the front of the property. We booked this section because we wanted to be close to the beach and ocean and had no interest in the swim up section. Our room was large and beautiful. Our butler, Providicia, was outstanding. Her efforts to correct earlier mess ups by the front desk staff really turned around our holiday. For my wife's birthday she arranged to have our room decorated with balloons and signs as well as a fruit tray and bottle of champagne.

The beach was stunning and no matter what time of day we decided to head down to the beach we were always able to find a lounge chair on the beach in the shade. The chairs could easily be moved to the sun, if that's what you wanted. The ocean was warm with the wonderful Carribean colour. Some days there were a lot of weeds floating around in the ocean, but I'm not sure what anyone could do about that. It was almost impossible to get a chair around the pool unless you wanted to get up early and play the towel game. The pool was beautiful and shallow and the swim up bar was great.

The food ranged from okay to really good. We ate at the Royal Buffet for breakfast and lunch. Food ordered off the menu was always good. The buffet was often good although it was quite common to find hot food cold and cold food warm. By the end of our week we tended to just eat the wonderful fresh fruit and food ordered off the menu.

We visited the following a-la-carte restaurants:
Steakhouse: brand new and the food and service was very good
Bamboo: wonderful staff and setting, the food was okay. The dessert served in a cut out orange was excellent
Japanese: Outstanding. We ate at the tables where you watch your meal being cooked. Our chef, Freddy, was excellent and the food was the best of the trip
Italian: Probably our most disappointing. My wife had to use Immodium that night and the food was only so-so.
Brazilian: Great food, great staff. It was a really neat concept in dining.

The wait staff work really hard and I know from talking to some folks on one of our excursions that the tips we leave make a real difference to them.

The Palladium complex is huge and beautiful. There are so many wonderful places to observe birds, fish and other wild life. It is a wonderful resort to walk around.

I do have some concerns about the Royal Suites and they are what I will call "management issues" When we arrived on Monday evening we checked in at the front desk. I spent hours researching our holiday and booking really early (mid-September) so that we could have the location we wanted. We paid quite a premium to be in the front section of the Royal Suites. I did a lot of research on Palladium Addict so I had a map with building numbers so that I knew exacly where everything was. When the person was checking us in I noticed that they were not putting us where we booked but in the back of the new section. When I called her on that she said they "upgraded" us to a swim up suite. I said that we definately did not want that and we booked in the front. She found us a room in building 52 on the ground floor (perfect for us!) She called a butler and they took us to the room.

I have never been to a hotel that tried to "upgrade" me without asking my permission first.

When we arrived at the room, there were already people occupying the room. The butler than ushered us to the pool bar to sort things out. She found a ground floor room in bulidng 50. We moved in and she showed us around the room explaining how most things worked. We were assured someone would come with our new room keys. No one did, so I went to the front desk to get the new room keys.

We were given a small welcome booklet written in about 5 languages with a tiny map that was impossible to read even with my near perfect vision. We eventually found a larger full sheet map of the resort. This is another reason that the resort is not yet the 5 stars that they claim to be. The resort is huge, there are so many different things that need to be explained and the welcome booklet was useless. We ended up tossing it in the garbage by the 2nd day. It took me the week to figure out what the butler did and didn't do, apparently there are different rules about all of the alcohol that is the room. That needs to be explained. The phone system is a little hard to figure out, that needs to be explained. There were all sorts of tent cards and other cards around the room trying to explain different things. What they need to do is put together a decent welcome book in each of the main languages that visit the resort. We kept running into first timers who, like us, were trying to figure things out.

Check-out also had problems. At the end our trip we needed to line up at 10am on the day of departure for late check out (our flight didn't leave until 9:30pm). It is busy season so all they could offer me was a 2pm departure. We agreed and I went back to enjoy our last day on the beach. When we went back to our room at 12:30. Our room keys didn't work. The front desk person never bothered to tell us that our room keys would stop working at noon despite the fact they extended our check-out to 2pm. It's a minor thing, but back to the front desk I went to get the new room keys. At 2pm, we tried to check out, but was told to come back in a while. We had lunch and then finally checked-out at 3pm. He gave us what he called and exit ticket (I think). I have no clue what it was for, and I still have it, now that I am home.

We passed the front desk a number of times every day and almost every time there was someone upset. Often I could hear the staff saying, you need to talk to your butler about that. If the resort offered a decent welcome package in the language of the guest that explained who to go to for what, it would save a lot of aggrevation for the guests.

In summary, the resort is a wonderful place, with great staff, in stunning setting. The front desk and the management of reservations need some work on communications and how reservations are handled. We would both consider coming here again.

Room Tip: The room descriptions are confusing. Royal Junior Suite is a better room that the Royal Junior Suit...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple