“Loved the Casa, DR not so much” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Colonial Beach & Spa

Casa Colonial Beach & Spa
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New York City, New York
“Loved the Casa, DR not so much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. Like most other reviewers, I have no doubt that this is the best property in Puerto Plata to stay at; especially if you want to avoid the all-inclusive resorts. That being said, this is also the type of place, much like an all-inclusive, that you must love once you arrive as there is really nowhere else to go. Most of the reviews on this hotel highlight the “fabulous” and I agree with most. I am going to give you the ugly. Ok strong word because it was beautiful hotel. I will reiterate the fabulous and also give you the “not-so-good.”

Rooms: the rooms are elegant and clean- well-appointed throughout, large bath room, great water pressure and so may bath towels at your disposal. We were in room #43 right next to the pool and there isn’t one bad thing I can say about the room. The pool was also uber chic with nice views of the beach.

Food: based on all the stellar reviews, I was expecting something fabulous. Its wasn’t. The food was good, definitely above average but not even close to the great dining experiences I have had on other vacations (Playa, St Martin and Bermuda to name a few). Breakfast was fine- not so hard to get that wrong and dinner was the best meal (although some of the dishes were on the salty side). I really thought the lunch menu was lacking. Most of the lunch menu is more suited for a sit down meal in the restaurant as opposed to a meal on the beach (think pasta’s and heavy dishes). I mean really. I am not wasting my valuable tanning time to sit and eat a heavy meal in the restaurant. They really need to add a beach menu and include more sandwiches and light eats. I ordered fish tacos one day and they were so bland and tasteless. Needless to say I was disappointed to the point of tears. I really really wanted a fish taco! Sigh. There is nowhere near by that you can go and get a quick bite outside the hotel. After three days of this is was really very annoying. The one meal that we had outside the hotel (Italian as recommended by the concierge) was mediocre at best. AND it cost us $35 round trip in the cab. It was less than a 10 minute ride.

Beach- the water was calm, clean and clear (triple c!) and it wasn’t rocky or filled with seaweed like other parts of the beach. Yes, the vendors were annoying but I was amused at what they were trying to sell. We had a guy with cigarette cartons, one with alcohol and even someone with wind chimes. You must NOT feign interest in what they are selling or they won’t leave you alone. Make like a New Yorker and just ignore, ignore, ignore and they will go on their jolly way.

Service- Overall the service was great at check in/out and during dinner. It was lacking on the beach and this is when we were needy and vulnerable. The hotel was virtually empty over Memorial Day weekend (they told us 16 rooms were booked and we had two of them) and there is no excuse for lack of waiter service. I need constant attention on the beach. Ok not really but when are drinking mimosa’s starting at 10 am, we are going to keep going until the sun goes down. Come back and check on us and see if we need anything else (we do). Don’t forget our order (write it down). The problem was that they didn’t let us keep an open tab. After every single order, we had to sign for a new bill. This makes absolutely no sense. There were a total of 10 people on the beach, maybe two in the restaurant for lunch, and we had to beg people to serve us. Big frown.

Overall- I really loved this hotel but not Puerta Plata. I personally didn’t find it to be the type of place you can go out on your own and explore. I would never rent a car here and it cost a minimum of $35 roundtrip to leave and go somewhere to eat. There are a few restaurants within the complex and one night they drove us over on a golf cart but the shopping center was a ghost town and no one was in the restaurants so we just want back to the hotel. Many people just need a chill place to go for a few days and relax, if so, this is perfect. If you want to explore the area around your hotel etc then this really isn’t the place for you. I knew most of this as I read reviews before booking. Everyone has an opinion and now you have mine to consider as well. Lucky you!

Room Tip: Ocean view
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank RoxxyGirl
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay. We are delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. Thank you so much for your kind words about our rooms and facilities. We are sorry to hear you were bothered on the beach and did not thoroughly enjoy your meals with us. Your comments are valuable to us so that we can continue to improve our service. Your comments and suggestions will definitely get passed to the appropriate department heads. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Ther place was great, the staff were great, the weather excellent, and the clean private beach a dream. My husband and I felt like royalties or celebrities. We were treated really really well. The service was amazing, the food was so delicious. Definitely the best place on heart. If you want to relax, enjoy peace and calm down the stress. The hotel is super beautiful and make you feel like home.

Room Tip: We were on first floor with ocean view with walking access to the beach and I love it. Any of the ro...
2 Thank Ayiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

We visited between 2nd and 16th may, the hotel wasn't busy because of the time of year, consequently the beach and pool areas were very quiet, ideal if, like us, you just wanted a break to chill out and re-charge. The rooms here are excellent, the food, fabulous and the service is first class, the staff are all friendly and accommodating - even if some of them struggle a little with English. This was the third time we'd visited the Dom Rep, both other times we'd done the all inclusives, which are fine, but the Casa Colonial stands out as something very different and very special. Expensive, but worth it!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken H
Bear, DE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I spent 6 days here during the first week of May. We had a fantastic time. I normally don't like (or have time) to write reviews, but the people there deserve to be recognized as any one of us like to be recognized in anything we do in life.

Arrival: Quick and organized at the airport.
Transportation: Taxi/van was arranged by the hotel and the driver had our names on a sheet waiting for us outside-- Within 10 minutes, we were at the hotel door!! where Manuel and Junior greeted us, took our luggage and showed us to reception.

Paul and (so sorry.. forgot her name)) explained the check-in process and served us a glass of Champagne, which started our well deserved vacation... Paul then showed us the facilities.. this was the Tour, which helped a lot...
* Be adviced, that they swipe your credir card for an estimate of "incidentals" as a deposit, but they do not actually charge it, since everyting is taken care of at check-out.

Restaurant Lucia- High Class restaurant- World-class Chef (and team), who goes out of his way to make every request possible. If you're looking for burgers and pizza, do not go there--this is a serious restaurant. We ate there 5 of the 6 nights and ate different things every night--Everything was outstanding (ok--we repated appetizers...the Trio of Ceviche 4 times and the Pollo Loco 3 times). But what made our dinners super special was the way we were treated like family--Jose Gabriel (thanks!) and Georibel were outstanding; Georibel even went out of his way to buy my wife something she had eaten as a child and barely remembered, and the next evening, Georibel had that on a plate for her-- WOW- The human spirit..... we saw our Son through his eyes...

Veranda for breakfast every morning--what a treat-- We ate so much, that we only had 2 meals per day (try the Dominican breakfast!).. the food was great, and listen to me, you can have whatever you want!-- if you don't see it on the menu.. ask for it-they will get it!-- The team? Impressed by Ramon, Kennedy, Santiago, Jose Garbiel-- We truly miss them!! they were the inspiration of every day.. so dedicated and so wanting to please us.. honestly.. never seen this before...anywhere..and I have traveled..

Beach: Always chairs available...and so sorry I did not get their names, but the guys there jump to help you with the chairs, towels..and they will not even let you do anything with the umbrella or anything--LET THEM... they want to serve you..
The beach is private.. but if it rains, the river close by will get it dirty.. mother nature at its best... want to fix it? shhhh.. walk 1/4 wile west and the ocean becomes BLUE!!! what a concept!
Yes, there are vendors everywhere..but a simple NO THANKS will do.. but we're too human..we heard every sales pitch..and enjoyed it...
If you do walk the beach, be prepared for the many people that want to pull you to show you the "Time Shares".. they work on commission, so they try to push.. but simple No Thanks will do.....

Pool and Jaccuzzi's.. Awesome.. always room wherever or whenever you want to do-- A glass of WHATEVER drink you want will be brought to you.. Try everything.....

SPA-- My wife had hair and nails done and she had me do a pedicure (first for me),,and I totally enjoyed it.. Maribel was very good.. super professonal-- This SPA is very serious about Quality..

Noise: This is (without knowing first hand) very close to heaven-- To me the Garden rooms with views (to lagoon) are the most private and quiet--but the whole hotel is SUPER quiet.. this is a place to relax, not to party.. If you want nightlife--do NOT come here..
Ocean View? ? That's very personal.. On the Garden side.. you could go out to the balcony naked..nobody would ever see you.. but on the Ocean view.. is not as private.. but yes, you see the Ocean, which you would see 13 hours/day anyway...
Town? There's no town close by.. just a set of tourist shops within the hotels complex...where you can find souveniers, rum, cigars, coffee, etc.. Just ask Manuel to take you with the Golf Cart..and tell him to pick you up in 1 hour!! There are 2 restaurants there but there is NO reason to stray from Veranda and Lucia..

Back to nightlife.. do NOT attempt any of the closeby "Discos" unless you are 24 years old and like hip-hop.. STAY at the bar having Cuba Libres.... the bar tenders are super friendly and the bar super quiet and nice...
You will hear a vague/far sound of the music from the Disco in the All-Inclusive next door every night, but it never bothered us..

Rooms: SUPER big, and clean--Luxurious... (if you're very picky.. the concrete walls are covered with plaster, then painted.. and in our room, there were cracks.. but we saw how they had people working on that on the 2nd floor (we were on third)..so I know that will be corrected-- but you can hardly notice!! The rooms are SO HUGE!!-- super nice..
The housekeeping team does a great job....

Check out--very organized.. very quick, and very accurate. again..I felt I was leaving family behind.. I truly miss everyone there.....

Thanks for a great time-- The people there made us feel like royalty.......

5 Thank DELTRAV
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights last weekend, I wish I had stayed longer instead of heading to Punta Cana. I will definitely come back here one day.

The hotel is beautiful, immaculate and smells lovely as soon as you walk in. We were seated, given cold towels and refreshments as we waited to be checked in. We were then escorted to our room, which was enormous and beautiful. The beds were extremely comfortable and the decor was serene.

This hotel is for people who want to relax in a peaceful location. Maybe catch up on your reading, rest, or just spend quality time with a loved one. It's not a party hotel.

The service was wonderful friendly and attentive, without being pushy.

This location was basically a dream. Keep in mind that food is not included in the cost of the hotel stay. The food was good and there was a nice selection, the only thing I will say was that most of what I ate was on the salty side. Almost like salt was added to compensate for a lack of seasoning on some dishes. It wasn't terrible, but could be a little better. We mostly had room service, only at at the restaurant by the pool once. But it was all good.

The only other negative thing is the vendors on the beach. You couldn't sit peacefully at the beach, every two seconds someone was approaching you to sell you something. And they wouldn't just keep moving, they would stop and even after you said no, they would stand there and look at you for an awkward moment.

I would recommend this hotel and I hope to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family