“A special place”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Newtown
“A special place”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Terrific time, location, food. Beautiful pool and facilities. Highly recommend! My family and I loved our time and would love to return.
But if you're wanting a lively nightlife and/or an all-inclusive, it's not for you.

Room Tip: Did not use the spa. Fitness center was great.
4 Thank Brenda M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Czech first
Fairfield,
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My daughter and I left the VH Ventana and checked into Casa Colonial. It was as if we ascended into Heaven. Everything and every staff member was fabulous. Paul was especially wonderful.
The food was equivalent to a high end New York City establishment. The rooms were decorated simply elegant. All of the amenities were magnificent. We hope to return someday soon.

2 Thank Millie s
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

It's hard not to lapse into cliche when talking about Casa Colonial -- it's a treasure, a gem, an idyllic hideway, all of that. But what makes this boutique bastion of luxury stand out is the doting and professional staff who see to it that every small request is handled, and handled perfectly. We wanted small in the land of mega all-inclusive resorts and Casa Colonial delivered on that, though it's nestled in a community of larger hotels (some of which have handy amenities, like the courts where my husband played tennis each day.)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heymarci
Stoney Creek
Reviewed 14 April 2012

If you're looking for small, upscale, quiet, relaxing, exceptional service, CASA is a must try. Beautiful rooms, great service, spotless grounds. Can't say enough. Visited at March break. Resorts on either side were very busy but CASA staff kept unwanted visitors away. Rooftop pool is fabulous. Never had to fight for a beach lounger. Food is excellent. Yes, no choice outside but didn't feel the need to go anywhere. Any negative about the beach is overblown. It's not Turks & Caicos sand but very walkable in either direction. Gated community and felt very safe. I have some mobility issues. There wasn't anything the staff wouldn't do for us. Very helpful. It was exactly what we were looking for.

The only negative was the beach vendors. Irritating at times but not threatening. Don't let that stop you. This place is a gem.

Room Tip: Junior Suite, Ocean Front, Ground Floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brad A
West New York, NJ
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I were visiting the DR so we could spend Easter with our daughter who is on semester in Santiago. We planned to spend the first part of our trip on the beach and the second part with her on her University mission campus. Since this was our first time visiting the DR I followed the recommendations from others very closely as we did not want to be surprised or disappointed. We were absolutely delighted with this resort. It is exquisite, low-key, quiet, and very private.

Pulling into the drive we were wowed by the gorgeous edifice of the hotel. The doorman greeted us at the door with "welcome home" and we exchanged names, which he remembered for the length of our stay. Soon we were seated in the airy reservation area, complimentary cocktails in hand, while we reviewed our reservation with the very pleasant staff. We enjoyed a tour of the property including the inviting spa facilities. I noted to myself how much it felt like the Kohler Waters spa in Wisconsin and indeed the bathrooms are fully outfitted with premium Kohler tubs, showers, and faucets. Delightful!

Our room had a tropical view, facing the pond. The room was huge with two queen sized beds so our daughter could stay with us also. With the balcony doors open it was breezy and wonderful.

We particularly loved that the resort cares so much about conserving energy which was evidenced by the room key's control of the power. Key in: power on. Key off: power off. We felt good about that aspect.

The food was wonderful. We enjoyed a delicious dinner on our first night, just the two of us. I don't remember what my husband ordered because I was enjoying my own filets on a bed of mashed yucca with blue cheese so much. The wait staff was superb and I am grateful they tolerated my many questions beginning with "come se dice..."

We returned to the main restaurant again on our last night with our daughter, Sara, and were happy to see that every table was occupied. Even with many diners to serve, the staff provided the same excellent service.

For breakfast we enjoyed the excellent buffet in the smaller restaurant (I'm sorry! I can't remember it's name). Again, the service is exemplary.

My daughter and I took advantage of the wonderful spa facilities and both had spa manicures and pedicures. I wish we had time to enjoy one of the many massages and facials offered. The price of the spa treatments is very, very reasonable.

There is so much more to say about this wonderful gem, the landscaping, the pool, the hot tubs, the mojitos~ I truly recommend this wonderful place to anyone looking for a different kind of resort where your relaxation and comfort is the number one priority of the staff.

We will definitely stay at Casa Colonial again based on its beauty and the facility, but mostly because of the hospitality of the staff. Thank you!

Room Tip: The tropical view is fine and the room was gorgeous, however if you want to sit out on your balcony...