“OUTSTANDING”

Casa Colonial Beach & Spa
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 14 April 2012

If you're looking for small, upscale, quiet, relaxing, exceptional service, CASA is a must try. Beautiful rooms, great service, spotless grounds. Can't say enough. Visited at March break. Resorts on either side were very busy but CASA staff kept unwanted visitors away. Rooftop pool is fabulous. Never had to fight for a beach lounger. Food is excellent. Yes, no choice outside but didn't feel the need to go anywhere. Any negative about the beach is overblown. It's not Turks & Caicos sand but very walkable in either direction. Gated community and felt very safe. I have some mobility issues. There wasn't anything the staff wouldn't do for us. Very helpful. It was exactly what we were looking for.

The only negative was the beach vendors. Irritating at times but not threatening. Don't let that stop you. This place is a gem.

Room Tip: Junior Suite, Ocean Front, Ground Floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brad A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I were visiting the DR so we could spend Easter with our daughter who is on semester in Santiago. We planned to spend the first part of our trip on the beach and the second part with her on her University mission campus. Since this was our first time visiting the DR I followed the recommendations from others very closely as we did not want to be surprised or disappointed. We were absolutely delighted with this resort. It is exquisite, low-key, quiet, and very private.

Pulling into the drive we were wowed by the gorgeous edifice of the hotel. The doorman greeted us at the door with "welcome home" and we exchanged names, which he remembered for the length of our stay. Soon we were seated in the airy reservation area, complimentary cocktails in hand, while we reviewed our reservation with the very pleasant staff. We enjoyed a tour of the property including the inviting spa facilities. I noted to myself how much it felt like the Kohler Waters spa in Wisconsin and indeed the bathrooms are fully outfitted with premium Kohler tubs, showers, and faucets. Delightful!

Our room had a tropical view, facing the pond. The room was huge with two queen sized beds so our daughter could stay with us also. With the balcony doors open it was breezy and wonderful.

We particularly loved that the resort cares so much about conserving energy which was evidenced by the room key's control of the power. Key in: power on. Key off: power off. We felt good about that aspect.

The food was wonderful. We enjoyed a delicious dinner on our first night, just the two of us. I don't remember what my husband ordered because I was enjoying my own filets on a bed of mashed yucca with blue cheese so much. The wait staff was superb and I am grateful they tolerated my many questions beginning with "come se dice..."

We returned to the main restaurant again on our last night with our daughter, Sara, and were happy to see that every table was occupied. Even with many diners to serve, the staff provided the same excellent service.

For breakfast we enjoyed the excellent buffet in the smaller restaurant (I'm sorry! I can't remember it's name). Again, the service is exemplary.

My daughter and I took advantage of the wonderful spa facilities and both had spa manicures and pedicures. I wish we had time to enjoy one of the many massages and facials offered. The price of the spa treatments is very, very reasonable.

There is so much more to say about this wonderful gem, the landscaping, the pool, the hot tubs, the mojitos~ I truly recommend this wonderful place to anyone looking for a different kind of resort where your relaxation and comfort is the number one priority of the staff.

We will definitely stay at Casa Colonial again based on its beauty and the facility, but mostly because of the hospitality of the staff. Thank you!

Room Tip: The tropical view is fine and the room was gorgeous, however if you want to sit out on your balcony...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2012

we were 5 family member for a birthday and spend 2 days. the all experience was exceptional.
Very professional and attentive service, food was superior and original, we have 3 junior suites they are very comfortable, spacious and well equipped.
The ground and the beach are manicured and tropical looking.
The all ambiance is chic without any short fall in elegance and good taste.
I will go back every time I have the opportunity this is so relaxing and you are so pampered .
the best yet.

Room Tip: Junior suites are very nice and the quality price ratio very nice I prefer first floor than ground l...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My girlfriend and I spent six nights at the hotel, and we enjoyed our time. The staff was courteous and prompt, although the servers and maids spoke poor English and miscommunications were not infrequent. The maids did an exceptionally nice job with twice-daily sprucing up.

The hotel and its grounds were lovely and well maintained. The guest rooms and bathrooms are spacious. The beach was our favorite spot, with comfortable lounge chairs and staff on hand to take drink and food orders. The rooftop pool and four hot-tubs were great for to relaxing and grabbing a drink or some food.

Now for the negatives. The hotel is surrounded by cut-rate all-inclusive resorts that serve a distinctly different clientele than the Casa Colonial. There are no decent food options outside the hotel. Given the lack of options outside the hotel, it's unfortunate that guests must dine at Lucia, the on-site restaurant that the owners have attempted to fashion into an upscale dinner spot. Be warned: the chef drowns the food in an unspeakable quantity of garlic. The food is more reliable at the other restaurant, Veranda, which is unfortunately only open for breakfast and dinner. While on the beach, vendors pestered us constantly, which is common in the Caribbean but still irritating. The water quality was poor, because the hotel sits on a small inlet polluted by jetskis and fishing boats. As for other amenities, the gym was adequate for light lifting and cardio, although the machines could use an update.

The verdict: a good weekend getaway. For our next week-long vacation in the Dominican Republic, we'll go to Punta Cana or Casa de Campo.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Matthew L
Reviewed 2 April 2012

If you are looking for a get away that delivers on every level look no further. Casa Colonial is one of the best small hotels we have ever stayed at. We recently celebrate my husband's signficiant birthday at CC and had invited 12 friends to share the celebration. All twelve are world travellers and all of left promising we'd be back the first opportunity we could.

The friendly service, wonderfully comfortable rooms (the junior suites opening onto the beach are terrific if you like to drift off to sleep with the sound of the ocean through the open doors...yes, you can sleep with the doors open, there's a 24 hour beach watch) the overall ambiance and the lovely spa are all world class. I could not fault one thing about our stay or the property.

My sense is this is the type of place you arrive, unpack your bags and never leave the property...there is no reason to! We will be back at every opportunity.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends