I stayed here April 14-20. I travel 2-3 times a year to different Caribbean locations and this was nowhere near the worst place I have ever been to. It also seems like a lot of the negative reviews took place around spring break. Next time don't travel to a place where you paid $24 a night for an all inclusive during spring break!! That would solve half your problems right there!
Check in was a breeze for me. And for those who say it was a "nightmare" because you had to wait in line in beautiful DR for 30 minutes give me a break. In most hotels and resorts check-in isn't until 3 or 4 so if you got there at 12 there is a very good chance your room won't be ready. Just sit at the lobby bar or go to the beach to kill time. Also...there are not a lot of flights coming in and out of Puerto Plata so there may very well be other guests trying to check in at the same time so relax.
Instead of listing pros and cons I will just list things you may want to know:
No shower curtain so put towels on the floor.
Building 7 has its own private pool and was very quiet and I specifically asked for a quiet building on a higher floor and they gave me exactly what I asked for.
The Sunday welcome party is AWESOME and if it gets rained out they open all of the restaurants with no reservations needed.
We had no hot water the first day and a half but had hot water after that but you have to let it run for 2-3 minutes.
We had no drawers in the room....just shelves in the closets.
Mirian (the lobby bartender) is THE BEST, SWEETEST, BAR TENDER EVER!
The Happy Happy is an AWESOME drink, btw.
If you go to the nightclub at the Tropical (club Vibe) you have to pay for your drinks in the club.
If you go to the club on Cofresi side (Ice) the drinks are free and that's where the people are.
We got reservations 4 out of the 6 days were there.
Chinese was ok, the Brazilian was great, and the Seafood restaurant was just ok.
The buffet was AWFUL, DO NOT eat any food that birds have been swarming around or if you see multiple flies around it. I did not get sick at all and I ate meat on the resort.
I booked the megaextreme tour (ziplining, horseback riding, waterfalls) through olympus once I got there and it was AMAZING.
Tell the clipboard guys you already took the tour and they will leave you alone.
VIP beach has free wifi, name brand liqour, and there was always a bed available (even though it was in the sun).
Shows were typical resort shows, but they did a really good job.
All in all the only problem for me was the food. I LOVE food so it was very disappointing but I would go back if cheapcaribbean had that sale again. For the price you just can't beat it. It's a large resort so there is a lot of walking but I am a fitness professional so that didn't bother me one bit. There are also shuttles that run all night to take you around the resort. I met wonderful people there and had a blast. Any vacation is what you make of it....so make it a good one!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach