“Americans need to quit it with their sense of entitlement. I had a blast!”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Philadelphia
“Americans need to quit it with their sense of entitlement. I had a blast!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here April 14-20. I travel 2-3 times a year to different Caribbean locations and this was nowhere near the worst place I have ever been to. It also seems like a lot of the negative reviews took place around spring break. Next time don't travel to a place where you paid $24 a night for an all inclusive during spring break!! That would solve half your problems right there!

Check in was a breeze for me. And for those who say it was a "nightmare" because you had to wait in line in beautiful DR for 30 minutes give me a break. In most hotels and resorts check-in isn't until 3 or 4 so if you got there at 12 there is a very good chance your room won't be ready. Just sit at the lobby bar or go to the beach to kill time. Also...there are not a lot of flights coming in and out of Puerto Plata so there may very well be other guests trying to check in at the same time so relax.

Instead of listing pros and cons I will just list things you may want to know:
No shower curtain so put towels on the floor.
Building 7 has its own private pool and was very quiet and I specifically asked for a quiet building on a higher floor and they gave me exactly what I asked for.
The Sunday welcome party is AWESOME and if it gets rained out they open all of the restaurants with no reservations needed.
We had no hot water the first day and a half but had hot water after that but you have to let it run for 2-3 minutes.
We had no drawers in the room....just shelves in the closets.
Mirian (the lobby bartender) is THE BEST, SWEETEST, BAR TENDER EVER!
The Happy Happy is an AWESOME drink, btw.
If you go to the nightclub at the Tropical (club Vibe) you have to pay for your drinks in the club.
If you go to the club on Cofresi side (Ice) the drinks are free and that's where the people are.
We got reservations 4 out of the 6 days were there.
Chinese was ok, the Brazilian was great, and the Seafood restaurant was just ok.
The buffet was AWFUL, DO NOT eat any food that birds have been swarming around or if you see multiple flies around it. I did not get sick at all and I ate meat on the resort.
I booked the megaextreme tour (ziplining, horseback riding, waterfalls) through olympus once I got there and it was AMAZING.
Tell the clipboard guys you already took the tour and they will leave you alone.
VIP beach has free wifi, name brand liqour, and there was always a bed available (even though it was in the sun).
Shows were typical resort shows, but they did a really good job.

All in all the only problem for me was the food. I LOVE food so it was very disappointing but I would go back if cheapcaribbean had that sale again. For the price you just can't beat it. It's a large resort so there is a lot of walking but I am a fitness professional so that didn't bother me one bit. There are also shuttles that run all night to take you around the resort. I met wonderful people there and had a blast. Any vacation is what you make of it....so make it a good one!

Room Tip: Call cheapcaribbean and ask them to put a note in your reservation for a quiet building. I did that...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Where_To_Next81
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I took our second trip to this resort from 4/7/12- 4/13/12. We did not want to leave! This time we stayed in room 4201 which is a fantastic room~ Beautiful ocean view! We did have a great deal of rain one night and our roof leaked a bit but it was only in one small area and we were fine with it. Our room was cleaned well every day. Anytime we asked for our fridge to be restocked with more water, Pepsi or beer, it was taken care of that day.

We were pleased that the Vacation Club people didn't not bother us nearly as much as our last trip 3 years ago (only once this time.)

We almost had trouble getting into the restaurants we wanted but we remained very polite, smiled a lot and it was taken care of for us. The customer service at the front desk and at Guest Services could be a bit better but if you don't get annoyed with them, they will get you what you ask for.

All of the wait staff was wonderful! Jacqui at Casablanca (where we have breakfast) is the best! The bartenders at the VIP pool are fabulous. One time, I stopped reading my book for just a moment and I was looking around and a bartender came out from behind the bar, walked over to where I was sitting and asked if I needed anything.

As far as negative reviews: You have to remember what you are paying for this trip~which is not much at all. It is also important to need to remember that this is a third-world country. You are not vacationing in the south of France. Keep this in mind with respect to the food.

All in all~ go with an open mind, with someone you love, not expective great food and you will have a fabulous time.

Room Tip: Buildings 5 and 6 are the quietest as they are the furthest from Casablanca.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jane M
Queens
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Staff was amazing and entertaining... Food was good... Resort was an all around good time. I would def go back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank apersaud14
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The first room that we checked in to smelt terribly of mold - so we asked to switch to another room. The hotel did agree to this but did put up a fight initially - stating they would send housekeeping to "spray" the room. Luckily we have lived in Flordia and know what mold smells like! Furniture in the room was very outdated, as was the bathroom - cracked tiles, cracked vanity unit, "old" looking bath, cheap shower curtain. Food was awful - very bland, impossible to book at your selected restaurant as you can only book between the hours of 9am and 10am on the day of. Don't drink the wine (albeit free) - was the worst I have ever tasted. Lots of steps at this resort, so it's not for those that have trouble getting around. Beautiful beach and pools. The cabanas are great but you have to get there early (before 7:30am) or else they are gone (people fling their towels on them and then show up at 2pm). Worst part 'though is the constant "harrassment" of the sales people (they will introduce themselves to you as your personal concierge). All they are trying to get you to do is go on a "tour" of the resort, and end up with some big sales pitch for vacation ownership. We refused to do the tour - and had to endure this "personal concierge" guy almost pleading with us to go - so that he could get his commission. He even told us that if we did the tour, he would help us get restaurant reservations that we were having trouble in getting. Needless to say, we did not take him up on this. Overall, I would give it a 2 out of 5 - and honestly, the 2 is for the beautiful location!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OrlandoSharon
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest:

Please allow us this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. You willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated.

We have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place for our rooms, the inconveniences you experienced during your stay was not a typical experience here, as the rooms in Lifestyle Tropical Beach resort & Spa are generally in very good condition.

We regret to hear that the food and beverage offerings at the hotel were not to your liking. The variety of quality menu items in all of our restaurants and bars provides something for all types of guests visiting our resort from around the world. Our buffets offers a variety of menus which are changed on a daily basis also you can enjoy 9 different restaurants at this property, upon arrival, at the check in time depending on guest’s stay we provide the reservations ticket, and every morning our guests can go to guest services desk in order to change the time or get more reservations, nevertheless please understand that the capacity of our restaurants is limited and it is not always possible to accommodate all our guests at the time or day they would like.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs, as we would like the opportunity to provide you the level of service you expect from Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa.

Kindest Regards

Jenny Hernández
E-Commerce Concierge
Massapequa, NY
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My first day was welcomed by Isuara (Guest Services) which was very warm and refreshing. She gave me a tropical drink sat me down and explained my itinery that was given to me upon arrival. All my concerns where always addressed by Isuara and Lucia (Guest Srevices). Lucia is another gem that really knows how to make you feel special. She goes beyond measure to make sure of your needs. The staff is so hospitable and friendly. The food was good and there are various choices. The are great activities, parties, shows,a casino, marina and animal park (Ocean World). I definitely recommend this place to everyone. They have something for everyone.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor near to everything (lobby, gift shop, restuarants)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends