“You Do Not Get What You Pay For!”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
NE OH
“You Do Not Get What You Pay For!”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

You get MORE! For the cost this resort it is a great value.
My wife and I travel 1-2 times a year in the Caribbean / Mexico for the last 8 years. We are experienced in caribbean travel and we enjoyed ourselves. Have we been pampered more? absolutley but for the cost we had a tremendous experience. and at no time I did not feel low class. I could have paid more for a fancier resort but chose to find a value for other that were traveling with us.

1. The food is limited in selection, but the quality was as good or better that other higher priced resorts I have experienced. We recieved 2 reservations at check in. Changed one and got another. Bellini was the best. No one in our party was ill.

2. The white shirt guys do not hound you. I said no on day one, pretended I was one my phone on day 2 and they never approached us again. I thought they were polite in doing there JOB.

3. Yes I waited in line for 30 minutes each day to get a VIP bed, but I have done this at almost every resort I have visited. It is a standard system. Try the system in Aruba and you will be very happy with this one!

4. VIP beach and pools were fantastic. The lack of better drinks at other bars was disapointing, but we worked around it. They poured strong. I spent time with many gold sparkeled bracelets and they do not get more that the yellow bracelets. so if you feel like you were looked down upon I think it is within you.

5. Check in was fast and they even changed the room of guests we were traveling with to a different building in a room next door per our request.

6. The rooms are out dated and the bottled water and Presidente was spotty, but the room was cleaned well every day. Showers are odd, but I have had worse designs in brand new hotels. Bring your own soap.

7. The welcome party was OUTRAGEOUS in size, quality and expense. A must! I am a professional musician and rarley impressed by the shows, but this one blew me away.

Just Go and ENJOY!

Room Tip: Building 5 is by the quiet pool, but building 6 is half the size and more quiet. Building 5 & 6...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Redlinedrum
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Just returned from a lovely vacation here during the first week of March. Bottom line: if you book through Cheap Caribbean, and pay roughly what we did ($25/night, per person), this is an INCREDIBLE deal. If you’re paying much more than that, I’d go with a hotel that has better food/service. But for the price of a run-down hostel, we got access to stunning beaches, pools, grounds, views, etc. Right next to Ocean World, which we loved.

No, the mattress was not the nicest, the room wasn’t great quality, the food ranged from truly inedible to okay, the service was hit or miss. But the beaches are absolutely gorgeous, the grounds are beautiful too. We couldn’t believe how little we paid to stay in such a nice environment. The grounds are pretty large too, so we never felt that crowded. If you wake up and get out to the beach by 730, you can get a bed which just takes the beach experience to a new level. We spent a lot of time shaking our heads and saying, ‘wow. Incredible.’

Despite the warnings in reviews, I didn’t realize that Carlos, one of many in the white shirts and clipboards, was pushing a timeshare. We thought he worked for the hotel and was there to assist us but they took us for a golf cart ride to the VIP beach and a rude girl tried to harass us into buying the time share. It was done with little class or tact, and was very sneaky. I can see how some get upset at this hotel because it seems like some of the employees don’t really care to help and are giving you the run around. Fortunately, we had no problems and were happy to sacrifice a bit of service for hundreds and hundreds of dollars in the end.

Oh, and there is a class hierarchy with the color of your bracelet, which you can’t remove during your entire stay. That was pretty annoying. A few restaurants on the map claimed to be for all guests but when we tried to eat at one (Tapas) they wouldn’t let us in because we aren’t members. It was tacky.

Tips:
Avoid the clipboard guys, but if you do take the ride it’s really not so bad. After seeing the VIP beach, we actually preferred the regular one, believe it or not.
Try to make reservations, as many as you can. We got one upon checking in, for the Moonlight restaurant, and the food was much more edible than the regular buffet.
Bring singles- tipping here and there makes a difference for these workers who are not making much. Just about all of the bartenders, cooks, and waiters were really nice. No one was able to make change for us in dollars, suspiciously, so we couldn’t tip as much as we wanted to.
See Felix in Olympic Tours- he is straightforward and will help you book some excursions. We did a dolphin swim at Ocean World and couldn’t have enjoyed it more!
If booking through Cheap Caribbean, definitely add on the airport transfer. Olympus Tours brought us back and forth seamlessly from the airport (about a 25 min. ride). If booking a flight separate from CC, you have to call them to tell them your flight info.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ac2496
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Beautiful site, wonderful ocean view, great landscaping, friendly staff, lots of fresh fruits and good food.

Room Tip: rooms by pool are more noisy, with much activity outside
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ellie P
Lyons, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband, sister, her husband & I went from 2/27/2012 to 3/5/2012. I have 2 reviews as we transferred to other hotel (still Lifestyles) We all had a wonderful time. The rooms (superior) are very nice in our opinion. We checked in and were in our rooms within 20 minutes, drinks were waiting for us upon check in. Victoria our maid was really nice. The ppl are all a very friendly group. We stayed in Tropical for 1st 2 nights then transferred to Confresi though, due to entertainment. BUT the rooms at Tropical were a little nicer. Much more at Confresi, The Colossium at Tropical you sit on concrete, around the entertainment, you get 4 tables where you have about 500 ppl trying to get, so again concrete slabs. We did water aerobics the 2nd morning and the guys played game darts. They really try to get guests involved but they do not hound you by any means. The men with the white shirts, was easy, after breakfast on 2nd day, they tell you they want to give you your tour, yes they will say not a timeshare (vacation club) then turn you over to another person, we told them they have 15 minutes, listened then said we are simply not interested, thanked them for their time and said we did not wish to waste their time nor ours. That was the end of it, no problems, very polite with us. We relaxed by the pool the 2nd day and was never bothered. Heads up, if you try to avoid them, they will come to your room the last day as you fill out a paper to show you attended, we transferred they did not have the paper from Tropical at Confresi, came to our door 2 hrs b4 we left, we told them we had transferred and had already spoken with David at Tropical. I would recommend the Excursions, so much more to see and do, the guides were wonderful. We did horsebacking in the countryside, through a tiny villiage (bring candy the kids love it) went to the Rum Factory, city tour, cable car ride 3000 ft into mtns, and catamaran sunset cruise to go snorkeling, while this was great, was wonderful, another tip this is a typical big flat bottom boat, not a huge boat, bring bread if you go for the fish, drinks and snacks were not really much, but the guys were allowed to drive the boat. The only one sick was brother in law, but ONLY because he ate tuna he was allergic. Yes food a bit bland, but is not terrible. Sweets were disappointment to me, not a lot to choose from. One tip, the stores AT resort at Tropical do NOT buy their totes, my zipper broke on 2nd day and I had to throw it away as they would not exchange it, and most know very little Spanish, I had flashcards I took which helped our group. If staying at Tropical take free shuttle to Confresi shows their theater has actual seats with cushions and they always involve the audience. You can also walk out main lobby about 300 ft turn right and take trail to Confresi about a 2 min quick walk. Pools at Tropical very cold, but its also very hot so we were able to cool off. Pools at Confresi much warmer. If you like sweeter drinks goto V.I.P. beach bar ask for a Tiki Tiki, this is a frozen drink orange juice, light rum and vodka, very good. And bring a mug or you have to fill drinks more often and wait in lines, they give you little cups. I will also give a review for Confresi. My only advice is that check out both b4 going if you can, make reservations at 9am, we were able to get 4 of them. The Blue Lagoon was the BEST ever. Trapieze alot of food, but I think the meat was forgotten in most dishes. Tips do go a long way from service to rooms to bell hops. $1.00 was our average except on excursions we left $3.00 each couple.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melisa M
Freedom, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Great beach, nice wait staff, poor food, confusing front desk service. You will not know till you get there whether
ather you will be at Confresi Palm or Lifestyles. Olympus Tours will waste a lot of time making sure your bus is full. Two hours from plane landing till we got to resort and everybody got a different price on the excursions it seemed. Food at buffet was colder every day. We did get gastro bug not to bad but we are strong and very careful. Lots of stairs poor shuttle service in the resort. Restaurants were good but reservations have to be made at front desk early in morning so we ate at the buffet. Time share guys are a pain. Ordinary room, not many with a view at Confresi witch is the VIP upgrade from Cheap Carib. long way from VIP bar and beach.

Room Tip: Second floor,lower rooms flood when it rains, Some smell of sewage.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple