New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Cornwall, Canada
“Fantastic Week!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

This was visit #8 for me at this property since 2003. (2003-2005-2007/8/9/10/11/12)- First of all it is rated as a 3 stars, so do NOT expect 30 stars- BUT:

-As a returning guest, I received an upgrade and a small gift (Fruit basket & Rhum).
- I went with a teenager (17- my son) and my parents (late 60s). Since everything is on "one level"- it makes it very easy for people that have issues with health/walking.
-Rooms are super clean with new pillows and fresh towels/pillow cases EVERY DAY. No issues with hot water, soap, etc.- All good and working well.
-The pool was sparking clean with a large swim -up bar- Never had a shortage of beer and or liquor at ANY bars/beach or pool.
- Restaurants were very good (Beach/buffet à la carte and the pizza counter)
- Lots of chairs at the pool and/or beach- no issues to get one.
- Beach area is very clean and lots of space- a short walk from the hotel (6-7 minutes) or take the free shuttle. Full bar service and restaurant for lunch.
- Piano bar at night with lobby bar, a great way to relax!!!
- At the end of the day(week)- I go south to enjoy the weather- which I was lucky to have- a great Week full of sun and very hot- a clean (basic) room is all I need.
- Would I go back?? YES- but again, this is a "No Frills" but the value for your $$ is worth it!!

Room Tip: If you are staying for more than a week- consider a master suite. Superior rooms have balcony and mi...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank drlove37
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
londesborough, ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I never wanted to do a review on Puerto Plata Village, because I wanted to keep this pearl to myself. But after going down in March this year and the Guest Services Rep. Carella asking me to review the resort, (because i've been there 8 times!), I felt I owed them that much.
I've been to Allegro and Grand Vantana and what used to be the Viva Wyndom, but for my money I keep going back to Puerto Plata Village.
First of all I have to say that do to a screw-up on the part of the salesperson for Puerto Plata Village with the airlines, they were dropped, from where we are from. My wife and I started to explore other options... Grand Vantana was very nice and directly on the ocean, it was also about 30% more. Viva Wyndom was horrible, and now is no more. Allegro, which is directly across from Puerto Plata Village was also very nice, but is more geared for familys with small children.
Comparitively, Puerto Plata Village has the best food of all the resorts we've been to. Their Italian alacart is uncomprimising in their quality as well as there service. Their swim up bar is the best we've been to, and that includes Blau Natura Park in Punta Cana.
The team of service people from the barmen to the people who keep your linen clean are top notch, from when you arrive, till the time you leave you are family.
One of the main reasons I've never spoken of the Puerto Plata Village in the past is because its never been crowded there and I didn't want that, or the price to change because it got to popular.
However, I feel an obligation to my Dominican family to let people know they're missing the pearl of the Caribbean if they dont go to Puerto Plata Village.
P.S. Tell them Rick sent you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank rickythebear
america
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

i being in many places but the animation in this hotel is fantastic, and the people are great congratullation to the owners

Room Tip: thes best shows in this areas
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank peguero
Central MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I spent my third vacation at PPV from Jan. 28-Feb. 21 this year. The previous ones were 3/10 and 10/10. The primary reason is that I can get an AI room for a single for $45. The second reason is that it is right across the street from the casino where I play poker. Well, except for Friday nights, the poker games there have dried up and I had to go to the one by the Iberostar.

The staff is still top notch, with a couple of exceptions. First, although they had my docs printed out and ready to go when I arrived, I still had to produce my printed out confirmation page. Just an unnecessary hassle. And the security guy at the hotel started asking me for money/begging, but he was gone after a comment to a supervisor.

The food, well, I guess my system is too sensitive for some reason. Most people seemed to have no problem with it. Breakfast is good, but after that...This trip was the first time I spent money on restaurant food. BTW, go to Maimon for some awesome seafood. It will cost 1000 pesos($28) RT, but wow!

The rooms are the same old bland rooms. I heard they are changing out the Fred Flintstone TVs for flat screens, but that's about it for upgrades. I think what they really need is to change out the old wooden frames on the patio doors and replace them with sliding glass doors to open up the rooms. If you are not on the end, this is the only outside glass, and it is frosted. Kinda grim.

The wi-fi situation was interesting. In the past, I had to spend about $25 per week for a slow connection in the lobby only. At first on this trip I found a free signal in the lobby for a couple of days. Then it prompted me to pay for access, like $8/hour. After spending about 20 minutes getting an ID and password at the lobby desk, I finally got online. THEN, I found out they had free fast wi-fi in the buffet restaurant and pool bar, but they never told me. No wi-fi in the rooms yet, though.

A highlight for me is all the fun and fascinating people I meet here. This was true for about half of my trip. The other half was dominated by retired German couples. Not exactly partiers, except for one. There were plenty of people who had returned year after year to PPV and loved it. They were all great, and a pleasure to hang out with at the super pool bar. Dario, the pool bartender, is as perfect and professional as can be.

The music situation at the pool has improved. They have way toned down the music they used to blast out from noon to 3 PM, to the point of blessedly turning it off for extended periods. They added some Adele to the mix of usual Dominican music(the one thing I really don't like about this country.) They cut back on the animation team to three people, and they play the SAME set from 3 until 5 or 6 PM.

I hope Playa Dorada in general and PPV in particular get their business act together, and soon. The area is in serious decline, while the wonderful assets remain. It would seem to me there is a killing to be made by bringing people this budget friendly area of Playa Dorada.

I will probably return to PPV next year, but I will seriously consider other alternatives. If you are looking for a budget place, consider PPV.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a suite. All they can say is no.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank topdeckgames
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was my first all inclusive and boy oh boy. Not enjoyable

The food was horrible, I got food poisoning the last day there from a burger. Not fun flying home.

The beds were unconfortable and never felt the sheets were clean there. One day upon returning the cleaning lady didn't take her tip. My husband went down to the room below she was cleaning to give her, her tip and he caught her brushing her teeth with someones toothbrush. Gross! Ever since then I lock mine up in the safe.

I would not go back here. I would rather pay a bit more money and stay at a 5 star.

Oh it's not beach front either.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple