“A Vacation Is What You Make It”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
SICAMOUS
“A Vacation Is What You Make It”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed at the Be Live Grand Marien from April 6-20, 2012. Our all inclusive package was through Air Transat out of Vancouver at a great price.

Overall the resort was good. Check in quick and we were given a room in Building 6 (Room 6318). After reading the reviews we went with the intention of upgrading to bulding 9. Our room was good and after walking by building 9 with a room that had the patio door open we discovered the rooms were the same as in our building so decided to stay put. The bed was a bit hard but we asked and were given a pad to put on the mattress which helped a bit. Our bathroom had a cracked tub which leaked every time we showered but we mopped the water up with the bath mat or a towel. A few nights when we had rain, the vent in the toilet area leaked but we just put the garbage can under to collect the water. I doubt it could have been fixed without replacing the roof.

The pool is very large and nice and the beach area great for long walks. The Orange Market has typical vendor wares and were more aggressive than what we have encountered most places. The ocean was clear and Caribbean blue some days but the stormy nights made the ocean dark and dirty and lots of garbage washed onto the beach. Workers were busy constantly raking up the debris that washed ashore. The pool area was busy most days and you had to rise early in order to get a palapa for shade.

The first couple of meals at the buffet we didn't think were that great but improved alot and we always managed to find something to eat that was tasty. I thought the fruit selection could have been a bit better as I found it either overripe and musty tasting or not ripe on some days but not always. Great blended juices in the morning at breakfast. We ate most of our lunches at the snack bar which had great pizza, fries and chicken wings amongst other things although a bit limited. We also did the buffet for lunch and it was good. Dinner time buffets had a theme.

We tried all the restaurants and the Rodizio was our favourite. The Gourmet did not have the best quality of beef on the nights we went but others we talked to thought it was wonderful. The Mexican was fine but not very Mexican.

The entertainment was average but we didn't go every night. The animation crew during the day did a great job but the pool could have had more activities (and limited the elevator music in the morning). Coochie and the rest of the animation group did a spectacular job.

We did one excursion away from the resort - the city tour of Puerto Plata and the cable car ride up the mountain. It was okay. Had the area been 'safer' it is a tour we could have done on our own. The best part was meeting the people on the same tour.

We took our IPhones and paid 25.00 dollars for Wi-Fi for 6 days which you can use all over the resort, even in your room. We did our messaging on Facebook with our family in Canada. Although the internet shop said only one person could use the ID and password at a time, my husband and I were able to sign on together.

We had a great vacation and met some nice people. We have travelled to a lot of different all inclusive resorts so have a lot to compare this one to. Sometimes a resort is great depending on whether you go for one week or two weeks. If it happens that the food or your room isn't great two weeks might be too long but you can tolerate one week. A great vacation is what you make it!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SICCY
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Overall, this was a beautiful resort. Very clean rooms, grounds, pool, and lobby. The food is okay, at first, but come the end of your stay you will probably be very sick of the food. Everything has the same taste (not sure if they cook everything in the same kind of oil), or what. Most resorts are like this though. The biggest downfall was the beach. If you're expecting white sand and crystal clear blue water - this is not the spot for you. 6/7 days, the water was very dirty. Lots of seaweed and garbage washing up onto the beach. Also, on the beach, there is constantly people nagging you to get braids, nails done, a massage, go on an excursion, or to walk down to the shops and go to their store. You need A LOT of patience if you go to the shops, because they are always in your face trying to sell you stuff for an outrageous price. (One guy tried to sell me a ring and cigars for over $50 and I ended up getting it for $7) The security guards are supposed to keep them off of the beach but I watched a guy pay him to let him continue to hustle everyone who walks by. The other downfall was the nightly entertainment. It was the worst I've seen yet, by far. In conclusion, if this resort were on a nicer beach.. I would consider going back.. but the beaches in Nova Scotia are nicer than Puerto Plata.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank leahChristine07
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I recently came back from visiting this resort and had a great time. I went for my 30th birthday with 17 other women. I liked that the resort was small so it didn't take forever to get anywhere and you felt safe. The entertainment staff were great! They kept us laughing and smiling all day! They definitely know how to make you feel welcome and are great at remembering names! Especially Coochie and Hector! You guys Rock! The only complaint I have is not directed towards this resort specifically, as I have heard that other resorts in Puerto Plata do this aswell, is that locals are there on the weekends. I understand that yes they should be able to have a get away also and they do pay to spend the night there but it made it very crowded. All week it was pretty quiet and the resort was running at about 75% capacity but come Saturday it got very busy. The bars were over crowded and took a long time to get served and when you did get a drink, it didn't necessarily have and alcohol in it. They also did not respect the towel on a chair means that someone is using that chair. We had come back from eating and had to ask a couple to move out of our chairs! They were sitting on our towels! I was a little disappointed b/c it was my birthday but we felt crowded out at the disco and didn't end up staying out to celebrate as long as we had wanted to. I feel as though the price I paid was fair and the quality matched the quantity.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RSaulnier
Woodbine, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Very nice smaller all-inclusive beach resort. Nice white sand beach with shade trees. Large rooms with big bathrooms, nice decks & flat screen TVs. Best buffet food I have had in the Dominican Rebublic many foods to choose from. Only complaint is took along time checking out

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank rick r
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I am not sure why I waited so long to review this hotel!
Actually for some reason I already thought I had...my silly brain.
We traveled here May 2010.
Anyway, I loved this hotel. Amazing lobby as you come in met with a cool drink and quick check in.
The beach was beautiful and the pool area was good fun.
There were aqua aerobics everyday in the pool to extremely funny old school dance music...'I like to move it move it, I like to MOVE IT!' :-)
I enjoyed the food and the drinks were always well made (not watered down).
We did the Paradise Island and the Dominican 'quiz night' which was a really good laugh.
Paradise Island was...paradise! A sandy oasis away from the world with fantastic snorkeling.
A tip to your maid gets you some lovely towel art but also I wanted to do it as I know they work for very little.
All the staff were extremely friendly and worked very hard to keep everyone happy.
The fridges were stocked everyday with 2 beers, 2 bottles of soft drink and 2 waters on the side.
Just go and have a great time! xx

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2.2 km away
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
57.3 km away
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Be Live Collection Marien? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK