We stayed at the Be Live Grand Marien from April 6-20, 2012. Our all inclusive package was through Air Transat out of Vancouver at a great price.
Overall the resort was good. Check in quick and we were given a room in Building 6 (Room 6318). After reading the reviews we went with the intention of upgrading to bulding 9. Our room was good and after walking by building 9 with a room that had the patio door open we discovered the rooms were the same as in our building so decided to stay put. The bed was a bit hard but we asked and were given a pad to put on the mattress which helped a bit. Our bathroom had a cracked tub which leaked every time we showered but we mopped the water up with the bath mat or a towel. A few nights when we had rain, the vent in the toilet area leaked but we just put the garbage can under to collect the water. I doubt it could have been fixed without replacing the roof.
The pool is very large and nice and the beach area great for long walks. The Orange Market has typical vendor wares and were more aggressive than what we have encountered most places. The ocean was clear and Caribbean blue some days but the stormy nights made the ocean dark and dirty and lots of garbage washed onto the beach. Workers were busy constantly raking up the debris that washed ashore. The pool area was busy most days and you had to rise early in order to get a palapa for shade.
The first couple of meals at the buffet we didn't think were that great but improved alot and we always managed to find something to eat that was tasty. I thought the fruit selection could have been a bit better as I found it either overripe and musty tasting or not ripe on some days but not always. Great blended juices in the morning at breakfast. We ate most of our lunches at the snack bar which had great pizza, fries and chicken wings amongst other things although a bit limited. We also did the buffet for lunch and it was good. Dinner time buffets had a theme.
We tried all the restaurants and the Rodizio was our favourite. The Gourmet did not have the best quality of beef on the nights we went but others we talked to thought it was wonderful. The Mexican was fine but not very Mexican.
The entertainment was average but we didn't go every night. The animation crew during the day did a great job but the pool could have had more activities (and limited the elevator music in the morning). Coochie and the rest of the animation group did a spectacular job.
We did one excursion away from the resort - the city tour of Puerto Plata and the cable car ride up the mountain. It was okay. Had the area been 'safer' it is a tour we could have done on our own. The best part was meeting the people on the same tour.
We took our IPhones and paid 25.00 dollars for Wi-Fi for 6 days which you can use all over the resort, even in your room. We did our messaging on Facebook with our family in Canada. Although the internet shop said only one person could use the ID and password at a time, my husband and I were able to sign on together.
We had a great vacation and met some nice people. We have travelled to a lot of different all inclusive resorts so have a lot to compare this one to. Sometimes a resort is great depending on whether you go for one week or two weeks. If it happens that the food or your room isn't great two weeks might be too long but you can tolerate one week. A great vacation is what you make it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be Live Collection Marien is an all-inclusive 5-star resort in Puerto Plata, located in the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. With a privileged location synonymous of beautiful settings and its heavenly beaches, it is a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation whether it is for a romantic getaway or for a family fun adventure. The resort features a spa, nearby golf course for guests and event facilities ideal for hosting special events. This complex is located 1 hour from Santiago de Los Caballeros, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata, known for its rum factories and 30 minutes from Gregorio Luperon International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Be Live Collection Marien reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Marien Hotel Puerto Plata
- Grand Oasis Marien Hotel
- Coral Marien Puerto Plata
- Oasis Marien
- Marien Coral Resort
- Grand Oasis Marien Puerto Plata