“Entertaining, small, friendly resort”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I recently came back from visiting this resort and had a great time. I went for my 30th birthday with 17 other women. I liked that the resort was small so it didn't take forever to get anywhere and you felt safe. The entertainment staff were great! They kept us laughing and smiling all day! They definitely know how to make you feel welcome and are great at remembering names! Especially Coochie and Hector! You guys Rock! The only complaint I have is not directed towards this resort specifically, as I have heard that other resorts in Puerto Plata do this aswell, is that locals are there on the weekends. I understand that yes they should be able to have a get away also and they do pay to spend the night there but it made it very crowded. All week it was pretty quiet and the resort was running at about 75% capacity but come Saturday it got very busy. The bars were over crowded and took a long time to get served and when you did get a drink, it didn't necessarily have and alcohol in it. They also did not respect the towel on a chair means that someone is using that chair. We had come back from eating and had to ask a couple to move out of our chairs! They were sitting on our towels! I was a little disappointed b/c it was my birthday but we felt crowded out at the disco and didn't end up staying out to celebrate as long as we had wanted to. I feel as though the price I paid was fair and the quality matched the quantity.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank RSaulnier

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Very nice smaller all-inclusive beach resort. Nice white sand beach with shade trees. Large rooms with big bathrooms, nice decks & flat screen TVs. Best buffet food I have had in the Dominican Rebublic many foods to choose from. Only complaint is took along time checking out

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rick r
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I am not sure why I waited so long to review this hotel!
Actually for some reason I already thought I had...my silly brain.
We traveled here May 2010.
Anyway, I loved this hotel. Amazing lobby as you come in met with a cool drink and quick check in.
The beach was beautiful and the pool area was good fun.
There were aqua aerobics everyday in the pool to extremely funny old school dance music...'I like to move it move it, I like to MOVE IT!' :-)
I enjoyed the food and the drinks were always well made (not watered down).
We did the Paradise Island and the Dominican 'quiz night' which was a really good laugh.
Paradise Island was...paradise! A sandy oasis away from the world with fantastic snorkeling.
A tip to your maid gets you some lovely towel art but also I wanted to do it as I know they work for very little.
All the staff were extremely friendly and worked very hard to keep everyone happy.
The fridges were stocked everyday with 2 beers, 2 bottles of soft drink and 2 waters on the side.
Just go and have a great time! xx

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drumsgemma83
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I booked this trip last minute... 2 days before departure. I went with a couple and their teenaged kids. I had my own room in the ocean front apts. They weren't renovated like some of the other apts were, but still okay. The bathroom was kinda of icky though and the shower didn't work. The food was fine, nothing special though and I'm pretty sure I got sick from the meat at the Brazilian restaurant.

All in all a nice time, but nothing special.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank weluvs2travl
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I worked for Club Med and SuperClubs for 10 yrs and have traveled all over the world for both work and pleasure staying at All Inclusives, High End 5 Star Hotels, 1& 2 Star properties and even hostels, so I have seen and been involved in a wide selection.

Reception - 1 star, Although very friendly, they only succeed in complete incompetence, 1 gentleman Fascilo (I think) was good, the rest are the complete opposite of motivated, competent, driven, or intelligent. Poor eye contact was my first indication that I may have issues as they were unsure with their jobs or ability to follow through and successfully complete a task. Was told my first day to stay in my room and wait for both a phone technician to repair my phone (which I needed as I have friends that live in the surrounding area and needed to reach them each day and for when they needed to reach me) as well I needed the security guy to unlock my safe that I had to pay extra for. This incident cost me essentially 1/2 of my first day and around $60 in calling cards (which is a massive scam on its own calling card rates are approx $2 a min even for local cards, calling rates in the room was like .15, yes slight difference) As neither the tech or security never showed up and as I was constantly told to return to my room where someone would be there in 5 mins. 4hrs and 4 return trips to the reception later I unfortunately had to snap at the person in charge to get them to have someone show up in the lobby in 2 mins and I would walk them back to my room. The phone took 3 days to fix which was very frustrating for me. I ended up asking to move rooms but they told me they couldn't move me as they had no rooms available even though 1 min earlier they randomly told me that they were very quiet that week less then 70% full... you figure that out.

Internet $4 for 15 mins $60 for a week no free Wiifii, sorry that is not a 4.5 star
Phone "basically covered above"
Safe - Seriously charging extra for a safe is shady and ludicrous. $3 a day for a safe is not something in a 4.5 star resort. If the resort is wanting to make a little extra money, raise your rates, I rather pay a couple dollars more upfront and have WiiFii and a Safe included then be told (when I get there) that they are available at an additional cost...

Food Quality - excellent, but selection was brutal (just in main restaurant)
Restaurants Staff - Mexican, Gourmet, Brazil (head girl hostess and 90% of the servers were excellent along with their food. Main Buffet, Hostess were brutal. For Breakfast you apparently seat yourself and the staff get annoyed if you ask, lunch is the complete opposite which makes it confusing to say the least, why is it mandatory to get seated by them at lunch and dinner but not at breakfast - it was literally busy the whole time at every meal, doesn't make sense. The first day and time a girl gave me attitude about not getting her to get seated, I told her fine and let her seat me. Because they do not mark when a table is selected I immediately grabbed a glass from my table and filled it with juice and returned. I was gone for 30 seconds, the same women that gave me crap about not letting her sit me just sat down someone else in my seat. I looked at her and said in a soft voice, "ummmm what are your doing?" Her response was, "yes, sir, can I help you, you need to come to the front so we can seat you" I shook my head and asked "are you drunk you sat me 45 seconds ago and 10 seconds later you sat someone else in my seat and now your are telling me to come to the front again to get seated" ... Her response was Ooops... Special needs persons are in high demand there, I know I am not Brad Pitt but forgetting who you sat after 30 seconds and sitting someone else in the same spot literally 10 seconds later in the same table... Its a buffet, they do not serve you, you get up and serve yourself (which is fine) but they need to have markers when a table is taken... A simple way is flipping the glasses up and putting spoons in them... Its simple and lets the drink servers know what tables to visit right away.

Although I was never told to do so by staff it does seem to be encouraged by all staff and guests to bring a lot of money with you cause apparently you tip for everything especially when getting drinks or at the end of the meal... I just do not get it... It is either an all inclusive or it isn't and for a 4.5 star it should be prohibited or at the very least frowned upon. I gave some money at the end of my stay for a few people (2 grounds guys, 2 hostess girls at specialty restaurants, and the 1 entertainer) that were good the entire time but thought it was ridiculous for what was going on each day.

Entertainment staff were ok, 1 guy (I apologize now as I forget his name, was great) rest were ok to none existent. From what I saw with the kids club staff, the girls seemed really good with the kids and friendly in general although I never saw them otherwise.

Spa was nice, had a massage and although the therapist I had was very friendly she not good at all and her techniques were the worst I have ever experienced...

Bartenders were not good, some were actually rude and deliberately catered towards tippers regardless of how busy it was which was disappointing. Bring your own thermos is a great idea as cups and classes were always in short supply.

Room was great, I was in Building 6... very clean, nice beds, housekeeping was good. TV comments I read are funny... limited English channels? Its the Dominican Republic be happy they had what they had, besides why are people in their rooms watching TV anywise... can sit at home and watch tv anytime, its a vacation get out of your rooms, meet people, try something new,

Beach was (for the North Side of the DR) very nice... I was never bothered but I did feel bad for the women selling things on the beach as I witnessed more old slimy french / European men trying to get them to have sex with them then them trying to solicit what they were actually trying to sell. One guy was so bad I told him he should knock it off as their were other people around that were offended, even other single people like myself. I know the DR well and told him to go to a few places in Sousa cause it was just wrong to be that way at the resort.

Met some great guys and got in some great beach vball games in, glad they were there cause the staff although in incredible shape were not athletic at all. I did like the Casino and the Club Pure at the front entrance was a lot of fun on a Friday and Saturday night, dead the rest of the time. Disco at the resort was ok.

Shows were not good, and were copies from other resorts that I have visited and worked at before. Costumes and Sets were really good though. But the skits were dragged on so long that I wondered if they forgot what they were doing . The Dancing numbers were either good or weird... Latin Dancing was good, but Ballet to Metallic was odd... Need to invest in better head of entertainment that is for sure. They should do information meetings in the theater as well, it would be very beneficial to people that are there and I guarantee that people will appreciate it tremendously, there would be less issues and they would make a lot more money.

Pool area was really nice, and property was really nicely kept.

Lifestyle Sales was borderline not there so not sure why people complain about them.

I chalk my bad trip up to some bad company structure, a few bad staff and 2 bad moments that spoiled what could and should have been an incredible trip.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo