My wife and I are experienced all inclusive traverlers and have done over 30 of them. Of the 30 or so all inclusives we've done we are not happy with this one and maybe one other.
Save your money this resort is not worth it.
For those who reviewed the food as good all I can say is please don't invite me over to your house for a meal. At best I could consider the food here to be third rate. The buffets are the same every day and prepared with only the basic of ingredients and the ala cartes the Italian and Steakhouse are a joke lol
Who every heard of an Italian with only one pasta dish on the menu? Evidently the Merengue has.
And at the Steak House they tried to past off some wierd cut of meat as a rib eye? The meat was so tough that using the butter knife they supplied I gave up trying to cut it and left.
Really, not even a steak knife!!
I was really bummed. I felt that us going to a Riu the expectations would be of a resort with higher standards. Not the case here.
Now for the service? What service! We had to supply all of our own beverages, and waited forever for a waiter to come and clear our dishes.
My wife is much more patient than I and even she was to a point where she had me go over and talk with the buffet captain.
After we had served our own beverages, eaten our meal and than returning to the table with
our deserts the dirty dishes were still on the table.
If this was an isolated incident or if the buffet was busy I would take it with a grain of salt but it was happening at all our meals and the buffet was certainly not busy.
I don't consider my anything more than your typical traveler with reasonable expectation of service but what we received here I would not accept anywhere.
Another issue I had was with the bar staff.
Every day I witness the bartenders drinking more alcohol than many of the guest so that by mid morning they were well lubercated. I feel iit effected their judgement on how they prepared the drinks as they were making them way too strong. It was apparent that they were getting their kicks by watching the drunk guests as many times I overheard them talking and laughing about some of their victims.
As the day progressed they became increasinlgy louder. The old adage that alcohol makes you deaf so you talk louder.
Save yourself from the same experience we had and look elsewhere.
This is not the same Riu as in Mexico or other Carribean destinations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue