“FANTASTIC HOTEL & HOLIDAY”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 5 June 2007

This is the second time that me & my husband have stayed at the Gran ventana beach resort and same as the first the second time was fantastic.

Food was amazing, entertainment staff very friendly lads & tried their best to keep you entertained.

Hotel very clean and pool cleaned every day, The best al a carte restaurant has to be the octopus, fab food and excellent service.
we tipped the maid the third day and we had swans made out of towels and fresh flowers left on pillows and in bathroom.

As for the building work going on you never heard it. it was a few hand drills and a little banging as modernising rooms, entertainment staff took music down to that area to block out noise that there was.

We are going back for the third next year that how good this hotel is, we would highly recommend this hotel to any age group

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DENJOE
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 May 2007

I was worried after reading the varied reports about the place on this website but as soon as we arrived I realised that there are people who just have to complain about something.
The flights (MyTravel) were good except for being charged for excess baggage when the plane was half full! Also there were a lot of people being offered cheaper upgrades to premier gold. The cheapest I heard was £80 each but we didnt bother as we had the extra legroom seats anyway.
The hotel reception is well looked after and the staff were very good.
The rooms were ok, they did get damp because of the humidity but the maid soon showed us how to push some card into the electricity slot so it stayed on all day. The rooms were always clean and the fridge was full of drink. We left a tip everyday of $1 or $2 or 100 Peso. One day I left $10 out without thinking and she took one dollar and left the rest!
The food was surprisingly good. The a al cart restaurants were good too.
The rest of the place was well looked after, with people working everywhere.
The beach was nice and the sellers dont hassle you if you dont want them to.
We booked 4 trips, white water rafting was the best by far. Also if you go to the plaza they are cheaper and the same as in the hotel. We saved £100 between 2 of us!
Hope this helps.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank ASMHMT
Reviewed 26 May 2007

This was the 8th time to DR and this time we chose the Gran Ventana Hotel as the ratings were high in the brochure.We were part of a 6 adults and 2 children group celebrating a 60th Birthday. Big mistake choosing this hotel. First impression when we arrived was the the main pool area was dirty, old,dirty and some broken sun beds and umberella's, pool looked quite clean. then we saw the quiet pool, could not see any filtration going, again, area dirty and sticky on foot. Old and broken sun beds and a thick scum around the top edge of pool, other than that the pool was very safe and all one depth.
Did see a few bugs floating around (dead of course).
Our room was in a lovely location, overlooking the beach. We found a crack in the bath near the plug hole, had to stand further back in the bath to shower. We reported this to maintenance, they came to look a few days after (Dominican Time). On our last day we were informed that a new bath would be installed and our room taken out of commission. Some members of our party complained that their rooms did get very damp and at times wet. We found that you had to keep the air conditioning on all the time .The whole hotel need refurbishment, in fact they had started while we were there, we experienced building noise round the main pool as they had started working on a block of rooms. We escaped to the beach to get away from this noise, to be relentlessly harrased by beach vendors.
Food in main restaurant was good by very repetitive, in fact it improved our second week. The best al a carte restaurant was the Octopus. Food excellent and was never rushed as restaurant was not busy. We were there during a quiet period 7/05/07 to 21/05/07.
Only trip we went on was the Ocean World ( having been to DR 7 times, we have been on most of the trips before). This was fantastic, If you can not swim you can do the Dolphin Encounter, that was a wonderful experience. Also swimming with Dophins and sharks ( not together ).
We have been to 4T hotels before and the Gran Ventana did not warrant a 4T more like a 2+T. If we had booked just for the two of us, we most certainly have requested a change to a higher standard hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank coconut9
Reviewed 25 May 2007

Well its been a few weeks since I have gotten back from the trip and here it goes... Overall the Gran Ventana is a very nice place, it is not 5 star luxury however it is not just an average 3 star hotel.

Reception- Very friendly, we had a problem with our room not being ready however very accomodating and pleasure to talk to.
4/5

Service- As most people will say service is top notch! The workers are friendly... I find it a good idea to tip early and frequently , it worked very well for us and never had a problem with service.
5/5

Food- I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the wide selection of food. If you have been to many all inclusive I am sure you will notice that the choice of food is very good and the 3 restaurants were great!!
4/5

Drinks-Many drink choices, well mixed to whatever I asked for, always a bar open until 12am, wish it was 24hour bar but we managed.
4.5/5

Rooms- I think here we experienced the most problems of our trip. I recommend that anyone traveling to the Gran Ventana please please make sure you are not in a first floor room especially in the Catalina building. We had many unexpected visitors (cockroaches) and had our room fumigated twice. As 21 year old guys having a few to many drinks we laughed it off, but I know my buddy could not sleep a couple nights finding them in his bed!! Other than that the actual room was plain simple and nice.
2.5/5

Beach- Very nice beach not totally white sand but soft and pleasant. Nevertheless I found it very windy on beach. I will recommend getting the snorkels from the beach hut and seeing the fish, bring a couple pieces of bread with you in the water and you will be amazed!!
3.5/5

Cleanliness- Extremely clean resort, saw workers cleaning the grounds every day, very well maintained and taken care of. Beautiful surroundings.
4.5/5

Entertainment Staff- Many of you mention that yes they are great people, a lot of fun to party with nevertheless I have been to hotels where the entertainment staff are better with more activities. I found these guys to be lounging a lot more.
3.5/5

Nightlife- I enjoyed the shows they had on stage however at that point I was normally pretty hammered. The clubs and discos of PP, were not that busy. There are 3 main bars you will go to. The club that is a about 15 min walk away is only good on weekends and is surrounded by prostitutes. The other two bars have dancing and what not but I found it rather weak, I didn't expect to compare it to Mexico however I still was a little disappointed.
3/5

I think that sums it all up, so hope I helped you with your decision making with the good and the bad. Overall I think if you are pretty relaxed and easy going you will rate this an above average place to stay.
If you want pictures or more info and specifics leave me a msg or email me chrisrubino@hotmail.com

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank Rambino
Reviewed 23 May 2007

I spent two weeks at the Gran Ventana with 14 members of my family, and I must say it was the best holiday ever.

I have nothing to fault the hotel was outsatnding..yeah the rooms where a little bit dated but if you actually went on a tour of dominican and saw the homes of the local people the Gran Ventana was like a palace.

The food was excellent I'm usually really fussy but had plenty of choice, the restaurante by the beach was my favourite.

The animation team really make your holiday the guys Ruby, Chocolate, Kojack, Julio, CArlos and Enrique where my favourites all absolutely Crazy..becareful how close you get to them though and don't let them pressure you into anything girls. Don't get me wrong they are some of the nicest guys you will ever meet but after a few drinks they only seemed to have one thing on there mind. Also if you go with them to the disco be prepared for "Do you have any money for me to get a taxi?"

The cleaners are so sweet and will always give u a smile.

The pool cleaners especially William are really lovely people, I had such a nice genuine conversation with them.

Rita who looked after my cousins in the kids club made a great impression on them, thumbs up to her and for her participation in the Saturday night fever show....the best girl there.

The waiters and bar staff can't do enough for you, excellent job guys.

I've read in quite a few reviews that the pool was dirty...All I saw was a nice clean pool...think some of you need to get your eyes tested!!LOL!!

I only went on two tours The Jeep Safari which was such an eye opener it really makes you see how lucky you have it back at home, but also shows you that you don't need loads of money and pecessions to be happy. Totally recommended.

Also the dolphin safari - once in a lifetime experience!!

AMazing Holiday! Amazing People! Amazing Time!!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family