6,040 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildingroyal packagea la carte restaurantscarlos santanamain poolswim up barocean worlddominican republicparadise islandsea urchinsentertainment teambuffet restaurant
Reviewed 5 September 2017

First time in Dominican Republic so having read the mixed reviews on here I was a little anxious to say the least. On arrival first look showed nothing to be worried about at all, the staff were there to meet us with chilled drinks, organised and efficient booking in despite there being a number from the airport bus. We were taken to our room which looked lovely, however we discovered the bathroom had a leak and the floor was wet. A quick trip back to reception and minutes later were installed into a new room, no hassles or problem. The room itself was spacious with 2 queen size beds just for the two of us. Lovely and clean, if a little dated. The beds were so comfortable and a great balcony to watch the world go by.
Food wise, the dining hall was well staffed and the staff were attentive with drinks etc good choice of alcohol or non alcoholic ones and plenty water. The range of food served at each meal was huge and I defy anyone not to be able to find something good to eat (even I had no problems and I'm gluten free). What did annoy me were the people who filled their plates to capacity then ate a couple of fork fulls before discarding it to have something else. There were choices from fresh cooked pasta, pizza, steaks, fish, chicken, plush all the hot plate foods, fresh fruits, ice cream, yogurt, cakes, cold meats and cheese, plus the three a la carte of which the Octopus was my favourite. Even after 2 weeks the food was never the same. Plus late night food in the main dining room should you need it until 2am. The cocktail bars both in the quiet pool and main resorts were well staffed and each member had a signature drink Jackies specials seem to feature mostly. However they were quite willing to make any combination you requested. The local beer according to my hubby was also good, Was really nice to sit on the balcony at the end of the evening with a drink in hand just relaxing.
Nighty entertainment was a little erratic to say the least it but again in the 2 weeks not one show was repeated, the dancers all worked very hard to entertain a somewhat disinterested crowd as this is the only area free wifi works so most people are there to use that rather than watch the show. The resort staff also worked like dynamos where they got there energy from was beyond me. Mamajanua maybe.
The grounds and pool areas were spotless and kept that way with staff working hard to clear away glasses etc, although some late night drinkers did leave their glasses pool side but once the staff arrived they were cleared away. The hot water boilers with tea and coffee on tap were a great thing too. Nice to have the option of the quiet pool away from the main pool area which turned out to be very restful.
Now to the beach, be aware that if you are there you will be approached by the sellers a polite no will see them go away but the next one is just around the corner. This can be a little tiresome. Also when the wind is blowing it can feel like you are getting sand blasted however the ocean is fabulous and very shallow perfect for bobbing around, There is a market further round the beach if you want to walk takes around 30 mins but its a good walk and passes other resorts so you can check them out too.
We spent most of our time pool side and there were always plenty of loungers (very comfy) and umbrellas. Be aware that at weekends the locals can use the hotel so one weekend of the 2 we were there the locals did come and it was definitely a different atmosphere, nosier and more children but it was only for a couple of days so by Sunday afternoon it was back to normal.
We hired a taxi from outside the hotel which came with a guide to take us into Puerto Plata if you're brave enough you can catch the bus. He took us into the town, showed us the sites then up the cable car to the top of the mountain, well worth the trip it is beautiful up there with the eagles and botanical gardens, plus the statue of Christ the Redeemer. We just tipped the guide as he wasn't getting paid for his services by the taxi company. I'm sure if we had purchased from some of the shops he may have got a reward from them. There were other trips organised by the reps which other people really enjoyed when they did them, however I wasn't looking to do anything other than relaxing and being lazy.
All in all this was a great resort for doing as little or as much as you wanted. I would definitely go back which is the best recommendation I can make.

Room Tip: Book the a la Cartes as soon as you can as they get booked very quickly, also ask if you can have extras as we managed 5 in one week.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shirley B
Reviewed 4 September 2017

We visited this Hotel month to celebrate my birthday. I completed a lot of research before I decided to choose this Hotel. I was very please when I arrived at the hotel, at first impression it was clean and staff were extremely friendly. When we got to the room it was clean but I was turn off by the rust that was on the sink. My friend and I discovered that there was a quiet pool and we asked to have out rooms changed to that side. ( it appears to be newly renovated and much nicer). They told us that only the locals use the facility on the weekend and no one is able to use it during the week. Despite being disappointed it didn't ruin my trip because the staff were amazing. The entertainment was not great but bearable, the food was pretty good. The one thing that I would of like to see at this resort is a club. it appears that everything shut down at 12am -_-. Overall, I was pleased and would visit again.

Room Tip: ask for room at the quiet side.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2017

We traveled to this resort last winter and decided to pay a little more for the Royal Service and were very happy we did. Having unlimited a'la cartes, a special bar, and a special reserved section on the beach were wonderful additions to our vacation. The best part of our entire vacaction was Amable who remembered our names after the first day and did everything he could to make our stay wonderful!
The resort is quite small so is easy to find everything,
My only complaint and the thing that will probably stop me from coming back are all of the peddlers on the beach. I originally thought that if we paid the extra money for the special beach area, that we wouldn't be bothered by peddlers...but that was not the case. People are trying to sell you items from stuffed animals, to jewelry to pedicures from morning to night....I had to say "no thank-you" more than 20 times a day....It was very frustrating. I was told that the hotel at the end of the beach restricted peddlers to a certain time of the day...which would have made our stay much more enjoyable.

Stayed: April 2017
2  Thank amazingrace
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

My stay at VH Gran Ventana wasn't a pleasant stay. The resort was too small for so many people. I couldn't stand being there. Kids running all over the place like chicken without heads. The place is just too small for such a big amount of people. Everything is within the same place the pool, restaurant, night club, the rooms, the theater and bars are all next to each other. It you going to VH Gran Ventana to relax forget it. Another thing about that resort. I left my sign at the room door, red (meaning do not clean it). Guess what!! when i came back, it was all clean as if i asked for it. I don't think they respect people wishes. The beach just dont feel as if you were at the Caribbean.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bryanmata18
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

We visited the this hotel last week in July first week in august. Weather was great as we would expect. The beach was very nice, we prob had the best section of the beach with his hotel, plenty of umbrellas for shelter. The sea was very refreshing, plenty of snorkelling opportunities. There was s lot of beach vendors but a polite no thank you and they left u alone. The quiet pool was very good until it got to a Friday when the locals came and turned into very lively/loud area like the main pool. The main pool was ok plenty of sunbeds available. Downside to the bars was that whether it be day or evening you always had your drinks in plastic cups, which was not great in my opinion. Reception were quick and efficient to deal with any issues, however checking was very poor, slow and appeared did organised. The octopus ala carte was the best one, great food and service, the ocean grill of a night had the best menu but very cramped in there and food quality was poor, very slow service. Main buffet was good the first week in terms of service but our 2nd week the service was very slow, took them a while to clear tables, get drinks etc, the hotel was not that busy either.rooms were average size not much storage, could be done with more attention to detail when cleaning. Bathroom was spacious and nice. I probably wouldn't return to this hotel. But the holiday is what you make it and we had a great time regardless of the issues above.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family