“Very Enjoyable Vacation Total Relaxation”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 20 February 2004

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful week of rest and relaxation at this resort. I was a little concerned, prior to our arrival having read some negative reviews about this resort after booking the trip. Found the resort to be extremely clean, well run and user friendly. Our room was a superior garden view overlooking the court yard at the quiet pool (Beata Building). We found the room to be of adequate size and the wonderful constant ocean breeze was a joy as we took our coffee each morning and evening out on the balcony. The food in the resort was well prepared with enough variance during the week to keep it from becoming boring. There were always chefs doing grill to order meat and vegetable dishes or the pasta man to give an option from the standard fare. While the food does not rise to the quality of cruise chefs it was certainly as good as any resort food we have come across. The main pool was always a bustle with activities, since this is not our idea of a vacation we spent our time on the beach or at the quiet pool. There was one afternoon when the wind at the beach forced us to retreat, but all the other days were spent walking, swimming, snorkeling or just sun worshipping at the beach. The shopping area in the complex provided an opportunity to meet some interesting local characters and purchase some craft items. We found the best exchange rate at the Western Union office in the shopping area, with mid week giving the most favorable exchange rate. While we are not likely to return to this resort only because we do not return a second time to any resort or cruise ship, at least not until we exhaust a large number of options we do recommend the Gran Ventana for your next trip. Found this area and it's people preferable over the Punta Cana, the other D.R. resort area we had visited a few years back. The only bad experience during our week was the result of a drunken couple deciding to discuss their relationship at volume levels intended to wake the dead and by repeatedly slamming doors at 3:30 AM. Go and enjoy your stay, you won't regret it.

6  Thank getalifeCorry_PA
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

A TripAdvisor Member
Regina Sask Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2004

Well, looking at people comments we were sure this hotel is great, unfortunately we were disappointed. This is our 8 trip to Caribbean so I think we have a good point of reference. First of all this is not 4-star hotel. The facilities maybe but food and entertainment a big NO. I would rate this hotel a 3 star. Let's start with the hotel. The buildings are very nice and rooms are big. I will pay more attention booking next time, there are over 500 rooms witch makes the resort busy. There were just too many people around pool area. Just couldn't relax. To busy, noisy no really place to escape. Beach is narrow at the entrance and quite busy, you could fine a spot without people but about 30min walk away. We stayed close to the resort our 6 year old daughter liked to snorkel. It was a good beach for kids, no big waves and a lot of fish to see. Entertainment- what entertainment most of the time silly games. Food- o Boy. I have to say it was tasty. Chicken, pork really tasted great, but no variety! Same foods over and over again. You could do a lot of different things with the ingredients the only thing missing was imagination! Buffet was very basic not up to a 4 star hotel. Desserts all too sweet! We know sugar is cheep there, but common? Same with drinks too much sugar in them. I love Pina Colada and it tasted like there was soap in it. They don't even have a mixer! I have to say I was very dissapoitnet with drink situation so we decided to venture into other resorts to see if there was a difference. We went to Sun Village (4-star) and what a big surprise. There drinks were great. The wine in the resort was very poor quality, tasted like wine mixed with water. Every time we went to a la carte we ordered a bottle of good wine (we had to pay for it of course) The a la carte restaurance- we went there just for a change of scenery food was a big disappointment. Once we sent a dry fish back and they made us a really good the waiter even apologized (wow) Kids Club -- sorry to say our 6 year old after one day sad the place is boring and she's not coming back. I was very unhappy because last year she didn't want leave kids club for few minutes. They have a young guy taking care of a bunch of kids. They have no specific activities planned. They just follow him around the pool area. Thank God the weather was great! The location of the hotel I think was one of the best. There were some stores, golf course, diving etc. You have to take Safari trip. There are 2 different ones one with river ride and boogie boarding the other jumping of waterfalls. We went on the first one with our 6 year old and it was great. Just to see country side was awesome. Make sure you take water bottle you can refill it with fresh water all the time. If you forget your sun screen you can always buy it there. I would suggest taking wine opener if you like to drink good wine. There is a liquor store very close by. We bought our rum on the Safari trip it was much cheaper. Well if you already booked your trip don't expect too much if not pick another place Sun Village was great. We are already planning to come back to Mayan Riviera, my favorite next year. I have some pictures of the property go to webshots.com and search gran ventana. Good Luck

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
new york, ny
Reviewed 17 February 2004

I've been to many all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, so know what to expect and not to expect. I was very disappointed but what I found at Gran Ventana. I can say that the weather was fabulous. At this point, if you wish to hear anything positive, turn away. Other than the weather, I have nothing but negative things to comment about Gran Ventana, and would advise you go to one of the dozens of all inclusive resorts elsewhere. Unless of course you want to stuff yourself with crappy food that is exactly the same each meal, every day. Or if you wish to ply yourself with very poor quality rum, beer or wine. The main pool area is loud, crowded, and filled with drunks. Getting drunk seems to be the goal of the majority of the guests there!! The entertainment is cheesy at best, and makes Club Med entertainment seem like Hollywood! The room I had was large, but not really great, and certainly felt more like Holiday-inn than a location in the Caribbean.
One day, while shaving, a light fixture feel out of the bathroom ceiling and almost hit me. I left it on the counter, figuring it would be replaced, but when I got back to my room, the fixture was gone, but not replaced in the ceiling. Oh well!! The beach was so-so; fairly narrow, lots of coral and seaweed in the water making it not very hospitable to swim in, and the sand wasn't so great either. I've found nicer sand in many other locations.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 February 2004

We stayed at the Gran Ventana Resort and loved it. It is a very clean place, and we liked the idea that everything was easily accessible. The pool , restaurants, and beach were all in a short walking distance from our room. The staff were friendly, and eager to please. We enjoyed the food at the a la carte restaurants , the main buffet restaurant and as well as the beach grill. A variety of food could be found!! The salsa is extremely addictive!!!There is a choice of drinks, my favourite being the Gran Venatan speciality! They pour a good shot, if you don't want it so strong you have to tell them just a little bit of rum!! The main pool has activities going on to keep you active, the fun team is always up to something!!! We had joined in on karoke around the swim up bar , volleyball, water polo, and water aerobics. The beach is great for snorkelling, you just have to go out a little bit to the reef to see all sorts of fish. There is kayaking and windsurfing available at the beach also. The vendors on the beach are polite and will just keep going if you are not interested in their items. The outback jeep safari trip is a must---an interesting, fun day out! We had a wonderful stay at the Gran Ventana and would gladly return!!!

1  Thank Gor2n
Reviewed 16 February 2004

What can I say, we had a wonderful time at the Grand Ventana.
Dominicans are so friendly and willing to help in any way possible, if you can communicate what you want :-) Although most speak and understand english very well. Our room was cozy and simple. It overlooked the pool area so we could always see what was going on. The beach was pretty windy in the afternoon, but I met a lot of very friendly vendors and got my hair braided for a very good price.
Although make sure you lather on the sunscreen, my brother got a very bad burn for being so stubborn. The food was great and the a la carte restaurants are a must! My favourite being the Octopus... beautiful and very intimate. Didn't enjoy the Italian one very much because it was very very busy. The beach side resturant was very nice for diner as well and provided good size portions. Make sure you take a tour or two into the Dominican culture. The Jeep Safari was great, say hi to Angel for us. The tour guides speak excellent english and really explain a lot about the Domincan way of life. Although there is no Disco on site there is a small mimi mall close by and the Crazy Moon disco which we really enjoyed. All in all there are so many things to do here (golf, casino, discos, snorkeling, boating, ect) that even though it rained for 2 days we always found something to do. Enjoy your vacation and if you don't mind paying a little extra I reccomend venturing out of the resort a little as well.

1  Thank TravelAddict23