“Cheap, Noisy, to many locals.”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Many Locals come here and make it very noisy... When Checking in they did not guide us to our room, not gave us values be information about the hotel.. The buffet very poor quality food. I've been to many gorgeous places I give this 1 star.. Horrible

• Stayed: July 2012
9  Thank Jennyjen22
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

This hotel is not luxurious. I went with my brothers and sisters and it was fun. We were a group of adults, no kids. The pool is peaceful, the service is average, and the beach is clean. The rooms seem older and not in great condition. But like I said, this is not a luxurious hotel. The buffet was average, nothing out of the norm for hotels in the DR. The staff was Ok, the bellboy told us where our rooms were but never bothered to take our bags, the admin staff was efficient, the cleaning staff was good, but I found the entertainment staff was slightly rude and annoying.

This hotel does not have a great night life. The hotel entertainment show is not great at all and consist of the same 3-4 employees everynight performing the same type of entertainment as every other hotel. The entertainment starts at 9:30pm and ends shortly after. They then offer a DJ - who just plays a cd with various songs on it. Once this closes down there is nothing else to do. Friends of ours went to the casino and caught the dealer in more then a few miscalculation at one of the games. Oh, the casino is really small too. The night club is just outside the hotel and is small. Some guest go, most do not. We were a large family group and decided to go and had a good time....but we were a large group.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Enid001
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Decided to go here with a friend as a spur of the moment, in college trip in May. I stayed for only 5 days and 4 nights but I didn't expect that I would immediately fall in love with Puerto Plata and the people especially considering that I thought it would just be a resort and a beach but was I wrong. This place is pure paradise, our trip coordinator, Sayra was amazing and helped us to get into our rooms earlier than 2PM even though we arrived earlier than expected.
The snack bar is decent but the staff are friendly, drinks are amazing and the open view with the birds and the beach is breath-taking. We dined in the buffet restaurant everyday since we didn't make restaurant reservations earlier but the staff in the buffet are easy to become friends with. They always remembered that my friend and I wanted a cappuccino and on two occasions when there was no flan, and I requested for some, I surprising received a plateful from the kitchen. Those guys are great, welcoming and easy to strike a conversation with.

The room is big and clean, has a tropical feel to it. A plasma screen tv, a nice bathroom, a stocked refrigerator, air conditioning, a nice balcony. If you have any problems with your room, the help desk is more than willing (if you really wanted to) - to move you to another room.

Day activities are enough to keep you entertained, watched a large group of people play the game of pool and even joined in on Bingo, sad to say I didn't win any of the prizes but the animation crew definitely made the games fun and enjoyable. Tons of good laughs and smiles around the pool. Waiters/bartenders around the buffet/pool are great too! Shared jokes with them as well and according to Salomon, everyday was a day for drinking. "Hoy se bebe"

Night time shows were far the best, coming from America I wouldn't imagine the humor in these shows to be this funny. You definitely have to catch Miss Gran Ventana and the dance productions - the staff really do put in a lot of effort and time and you can tell. The animation crew also tries to make sure you have a great time. Make sure to go to Coco Bongo after the night shows - they have pretty good music and a good crowd.

My friend and I did a couple of tours from people from the beach and I think this is where you'll get amazing deals (A Bang for your buck). We did the Cable Cars to Isabella de Torre Mtn., saw the city of Puerto Plata, and for the first time did horse riding around POP which I would want to do all over again.

The beach does get a bit windy but it's so relaxing. The water is always the right temperature, is clear and isn't crowded at all. The vendors are friendly! If you tell them no, they'll understand. I would use my Spanish skills and tell them maybe I'll buy something in another lifetime but they would always jokingly understand and if I wanted a specific item like jewelry or the monkey from the monkey man, they would tell that person by word of mouth and help me out.

The plaza/mall has really nice items for decent prices that you should check out. It can get pretty empty but go during the morning/afternoon.

Overall, the last day of our trip, my friend and I sulked at breakfast and couldn't believe we were leaving. We really didn't want to say goodbye to the Gran Ventana, to the staff and to the spectacular experiences we had here. And so we are coming back in August for an even longer stay and hopefully for a more memorable vacation!

After going here, I don't think I'll consider any other place for vacation - ever.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Stephanie C
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent visit to Gran Ventana. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with our hotel and that you had such wonderful experiences with the local excursions. I am sure your recommendations will come in very helpful to future visitors Puerto Plata, again, thank you for sharing! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel! I shopped around for the best deal at a decent hotel in Puerto Plata and am so glad I chose this one! Positives: cleanliness, wonderful food (I was never disappointed in the buffet at all and liked Octopus the best of the a la cartes); friendly staff; safety (I was there alone); nice beach and great pools; small size. Negatives: check-in (lengthy, no offer of even a glass of water after a long flight on a very hot day); local Dominicans (1300 of 'em) descended on the place from Fri to Sun (just made a quiet vacation suddenly very noisy and it was difficult to be seated for dinner); delayed delivery of my luggage to my room after check-in (I just wanted to get OUT of my travel clothes! By the time guests arrive, management needs to know that they just want to "chill" right away).
I would recommend this hotel to middle-aged and above folks and think that this place would become a little boring to teens and those in their 20's and 30's if the visit is more than 3-4 days.
It was the perfect getaway for me as I wanted to just sun, eat, and read. Nice patrons and very nice staff.

Room Tip: I stayed in Catalina and had an ocean view (room 2214). It was very quiet and I could hear the ocea...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank putz_lover
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This was my second visit to this hotel and the bad comments really bother me, I was reading a review reagrding somone who advised was held up at knife point on the beach yes I do feel sorry for them but in all my 8 years of going to Domincan Republic this would be the first time I have heard of this and in the end of the day this could have happened in Spain.

Yes the hotel was busy at the weekend but this is not all year round as this was the childrens school holidays for domincan children, yes it did get manic but if the hotel was full with English or Americans this would also be very manich and busy.

The rooms were cleaned everyday and fridge was re stocked, all things in room worked, the walk ways from the rooms to the outside was very clean and well kept.

The restaurants had a great selection of food, and always somting to eat, I travelled with a three year old who always found somthing to eat, drank the juice and water from here as was not ill at all.

The staff are very helpful check it was stress free, the waiters are fantisti always have a smile on there face, and the entertainment staff work so hard and and if you do not want to join in a polite no and they will leave you be.

The beach is beautiful and again a polite no to the venders and they will leave you alone.

My overall opion is excellent of this hotel, people need to remeber that they are not in Spain and things and cultures are different, if your not prepared to expirence new things then the dominican republic is not for you, and if you want the Hilton pay for the Hilton and not the Gran Ventana and then complain its not as high as a rating star as you thought

Room Tip: Rooms in Catalina block facing the beach you will not be distured by the music in evening
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family