We booked this hotel after reading several good reviews here. We were neither terribly disappointed nor highly impressed by the resort. I take is as "you get what you pay for" category.
The resort is 20 minutes from POP airport. The resort told me the fare is USD 35 for one way transfer in taxi. However, I bargained with a cab driver who agreed a fare of USD 25. While coming back, I just asked the bellboy and he arranged one for USD 25 again.
There is nothing more to say about location as we did not explore too much.
Beach: Remember, this is Atlantic water. So don't expect deep blue water. This is a public beach so expect lot's of vendor selling everything from recreational activities to jeweleries. It does get annoying at one point.
No complaints here. Room was clean. Some reviewer complained about the firm bed but we liked the firmness.
some tips regarding room:
- If the AC does not work, make sure that the door facing outside is closed on both side(it's a sliding door and the AC stops working if it is open)
- Don't flush the toilet paper in the toilet. The toilet gets stuck.
We had a quiet room on 3rd floor which I recommend. We mailed the resort about my choice beforehand.
Staffs are friendly. The entertainment team folks can get annoying at times but it's ok. No big deal.
I was actually disappointed as there wasn't much of entertainment shows in the night. At times, we were bored.
Pool is small but ok. They close the pool at 7 pm which was again disappointing. I am sure many people would want to get into pool at night as well.
There is a quiet pool in another section of the resort. I did not go there so not sure about it.
Not bad. They have enough varieties in buffet section. Though the selection can get repetitive sometimes.
They have 3 A La Carte restaurants though only one is open at one time. The menu is limited and fixed. We liked the ocean grill and was not impressed by the Italian restaurant. we did not get a chance to eat in the Octopus restaurant as it was not open when we were here.
Once again, the resort is not an expensive one. They say it's a 4 star but I don't agree with it. They can improve here and there but overall, I was satisfied.
- Weekends get crazily crowded as local people flock in. I am not against the local people in any sense but the hotel should have enough infrastructure and staff to support it. It really gets crazy sometimes.
- Wifi. They charge 3 dollars for half hr and 6 dollars for 1 hr of wifi. Do yourself a favor. Go to the plaza (a shopping mall next door) and go to the kids section. you will find wifi signal there and free of cost.
- I know, people are trying to make a living by selling activities or service. But it gets annoying when every 5 minutes someone approaches you with something. So be prepared to get annoyed.
Have a great vacation.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic