New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Gran Ventana”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

We booked this hotel after reading several good reviews here. We were neither terribly disappointed nor highly impressed by the resort. I take is as "you get what you pay for" category.

Location:

The resort is 20 minutes from POP airport. The resort told me the fare is USD 35 for one way transfer in taxi. However, I bargained with a cab driver who agreed a fare of USD 25. While coming back, I just asked the bellboy and he arranged one for USD 25 again.

There is nothing more to say about location as we did not explore too much.

Beach: Remember, this is Atlantic water. So don't expect deep blue water. This is a public beach so expect lot's of vendor selling everything from recreational activities to jeweleries. It does get annoying at one point.

Room Cleanliness:

No complaints here. Room was clean. Some reviewer complained about the firm bed but we liked the firmness.

some tips regarding room:

- If the AC does not work, make sure that the door facing outside is closed on both side(it's a sliding door and the AC stops working if it is open)

- Don't flush the toilet paper in the toilet. The toilet gets stuck.

We had a quiet room on 3rd floor which I recommend. We mailed the resort about my choice beforehand.

Staff:

Staffs are friendly. The entertainment team folks can get annoying at times but it's ok. No big deal.

Entertainment:

I was actually disappointed as there wasn't much of entertainment shows in the night. At times, we were bored.

Pool:

Pool is small but ok. They close the pool at 7 pm which was again disappointing. I am sure many people would want to get into pool at night as well.

There is a quiet pool in another section of the resort. I did not go there so not sure about it.

Food:

Not bad. They have enough varieties in buffet section. Though the selection can get repetitive sometimes.

They have 3 A La Carte restaurants though only one is open at one time. The menu is limited and fixed. We liked the ocean grill and was not impressed by the Italian restaurant. we did not get a chance to eat in the Octopus restaurant as it was not open when we were here.

Value:

Once again, the resort is not an expensive one. They say it's a 4 star but I don't agree with it. They can improve here and there but overall, I was satisfied.

Few tips:

- Weekends get crazily crowded as local people flock in. I am not against the local people in any sense but the hotel should have enough infrastructure and staff to support it. It really gets crazy sometimes.

- Wifi. They charge 3 dollars for half hr and 6 dollars for 1 hr of wifi. Do yourself a favor. Go to the plaza (a shopping mall next door) and go to the kids section. you will find wifi signal there and free of cost.

- I know, people are trying to make a living by selling activities or service. But it gets annoying when every 5 minutes someone approaches you with something. So be prepared to get annoyed.

Have a great vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank BongPondit
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,004)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

We went to the gran ventana to celebrate my sisters renewing of her vows the ceremony at the hotel was really nice and the part of the hotel this was done in was quiet, the food was good and the individual restaurants were all good, italian, caribbean and beach nice locations and great food. The pool area is fab but does get very hot after lunch which is when we tended to go to the beach as there was a slight breeze. The beach location was excellent as you could snorkal really easily and the fish were really pretty. Evening entertainment was passable have seen better, but ,my son loved the mini disco, the kids club was ok not good for all day but a few hours was all my son needed as he loved being in the pool.The rooms were spacious and as there were 5 of us we had connecting doors to our rooms. We were there for the celebration of their easter with an egg hunt for the kids this was great. The maids were great only to be let down by the laundry as some days we did not get fresh towels until 6.30pm. Overall we had a great time and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank KarlandJulie5
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

our second visit to gran ventana enjoyed the holiday food choice was great as usual entertainment staff donkey,scooby doo, brilliant and as funny as ever but the nighttime shows were the same as last year and got sick of the same show over and over if your going here be aware that your weekends will be spoilt by the amount of locals they allow to stay at the weekends they are rude and you have no chance of getting served at the bars or if you do its a long wait untill they serve the arrogant locals and if you have young children dont send them into the pool on a weekend as the locals will take things off them without even asking dont get me wrong its a great place to go but travel agents should warn you 4 days of your holiday will be wasted on the weekends our advice is book trips out for the weekends and a'la carte restaurants as the buffet restaurant is took over at the weekend we will not be returning to gran ventana again as we payed for 2 weeks and ended up looseing 4 days of our holiday thanks to the amount of locals they let in

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mark379
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

Me and my friend stayed at this hotel from the 2nd june for 2 weeks, we didnt want to leave. There were pros n cons at this hotel but overall had an amazing holiday and I'm still trying to settle back into real life. First off the room was very clean, spacious and did the trick nicely, the beds were comfy (heard some people moaning that they were hard but we obviously struck lucky). The air con worked perfectly and was a life saver in the heat. The only thing I could pin point that would be an improvement in the room would be more plug sockets (only had 2 in the corner of the room and with the adapters you could only plug in one device at the same time) and maybe more water pressure in the shower as the power wasnt amazing but still was fine.

The food was the best all inclusive ive had and always found something to eat (try the roast beef in the buffett, was lovely). The resturants were very good, LOVED the italian and if you go the the grill, TRY THE SPARE RIBS, amazing! yum...

The main pool was nice, when it wasnt overcrowded, i do agree on what others are saying about the locals, they did ruin the atmosphere somewhat as they push eachother around, jump infront of you and generally become very irritating but go the beach or the quiet pool to avoid them or even do trips at the weekend to get away from them then you should be ok. The only criticism I have about the pools was that the quiet pool on a couple of occassions was very dirty, filled with scum and we refused to get in it but it was cleaned (to an extent) when asked.

The beach was lovely, the water was crystal clear when it was calm and you could snorkel and see the fish but if not, they would swim around your belly and poke your leg, begging for food lol some are cheeky and even follow you, cute. The sand was nice and the beach was quiet (could always get a bed). The only thing would be the vendors, they do pester but tell em no and they walk on, some are nice to take too, LILLY No. 8 is one of them, very sweet girl.

The entertainment staff are nice, they do their best but defo have met better animation teams and the entertainment could be improved greatly, but you cant have it all.

If you go, go the Ocean World and do the royal swim with the dolphins, best experience of my life!!!! and go to paradise island, was beautiful there.

I would go back but not yet, I would love to go to the other side of the island or a different part of the caribbean altogher but overall it was a great holiday. Go and have fun

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tania L
Falkirk - Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Myself and my partner have just returned from the gran ventana after a 2 week holiday. This was our third visit to this hotel. The last time we were there was 4 years ago. Arriving at the hotel we were given a fruit punch welcome drink which was nice as we never had this our previous visits. I was happy that room 1249 I requested was what I got.

Arriving in my room it looked exactly the same as it did 4 years ago. Only difference was there was a flat screen tv. Most of the channels are in Spanish. The room was not very clean. I had to clean the shelfs in the cupboard as they were so dirty covered in sand. Sack the cleaner! Throughout the stay the room was only given a very basic clean. The rooms need upgrading. The lamp shades were dirty and were badly needing replaced. The good thing is the mini bar in the room which is stocked daily with Pepsi, 7up and 2 beers which are free. On 2 occasions this had not been done. We had to go to the reception 3 times to get new room key cards as they failed to work. Very annoying.

There was building work going on between 7am - 7pm. Constantly banging, hammering and drilling down by the beach as the ocean grill is getting rebuilt. I was very disappointed with the beach. It was always a lovely beach but this time is was not. Alot of weeds from the sea lying around. What happened to the nice soft clear sandy beach? I was only at the beach twice. Constantly getting pestered with annoying vendors.

We skipped breakfast most mornings. Lunch and dinner are very repetitive. Be wary when eating meats as on alot of occasions it was undercooked. I had rice one night and was very ill for 24 hours. The waiter service is terrible. We had to get our drinks our selfs morning noon and some nights. We tried the Italian as we have been 3 times before and loved it. However this time it was disgusting. The 'tender chicken breast' that I ordered was a processed chicken burger cut in half with a rubbery hard slice of cheese. Totally different from the last time.

The hotel has fast wifi which you have to pay for. Most of the saff are very nice and friendly. Kelvin and kerion the reception staff are great and so is Enrique or reekie (still not sure what his name is) who works so hard. He is the waiter in the restaurant who always made sure we had drinks. Really nice guy.

Now the big let down which really put a damper on our holiday was the locals. They come from Friday - Sunday to stay. They take over. They're so ignorant and rude. They have about 200 screaming kids who take over the pool from 8am - 7pm. There was one night we couldn't manage to get anything from the buffet as they were all pushing in and filling their plates up high with food. It's a joke. The waiters also tend to deal with them and tend to leave us out. They're so loud and I think it's wrong that theyre allowed in to ruin people's holiday.

I would not return back to the gran ventana which is ashame as it was my favourite holiday but now it's at the bottom of my list. I would not recommend it to anyone either. The hotel has went downhill which is ashame as it was a brilliant hotel which I could not fault.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple