Just returned from this resort Feb 9 to 16 2012.
Rooms....We stayed in room 1328 Sona building. Generally speaking the rooms were dated but clean,the bar frig was looking pretty run down. The safe was a key method as well as the room doors, which was a little bit of a pain having to carry keys. Our patio door wouldn't lock and was very stiff. Called about it but was never fixed
Food....Excellent, large variety every day different meat at the carving station. Visited all 3 a la carte and each was wonderful. Even the beef was good especially the beef at the Italian.
One negative about the food was there is about 1 hour went you can't get food anywhere [between 5:00 and 6:00 pm].
Beach....nice sand, several fairly large reefs for snorkling
neg ...too many peddles on the beach.....guests that occupy chairs with beach towels but are not actually there for more than 2 hours...WHAT"S WITH THAT!!!! JUST POOR MANNERS IN MY OPINION.
Tours... Booked 3 tours with James at Caribbean Tours. Had a great time with a smaller group and at reasonable cost.
Had to reschedule one trip due to illness [stay away from the clams]. One trip partially rained out and couldn't rebook therefore we were reimbursed for that portion of the excursion. Very accommodating guy!!!
Bar service....great service, very strong drinks, terrible Margarita's
Maid service.....a little lacking in our case although other guest said it was great.
3 people in our room ...always had to ask for extra towels, water, drinks
asked for an extra blanket almost daily and never did receive one, on one occasion there was no top sheets or blankets at all on our daughter's bed...called the front desk at 9:00 pm and never received them until after 11:00 pm.
Front desk / maid service.......locked ourselves out of our room on the last full day at the resort ...went to the front desk and explained the situation, assured that house keeping would be right up to open it for us....to make a long story short, three trips to the front desk, one phone call from another guest on our behalf and still no result.....this all started at 6:15 pm....so at 8:05 pm and back at the front desk and a little displeased....It was only after slamming my hand on the front desk and saying that I will break the door down if someone wasn't there within 5 mins that someone actually opened our door. I was furious!!!!! THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Pools....Two to choose from ...main pool lots of activity, very lively.....Quiet pool, just that very relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic