“"Not a great experience"”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“"Not a great experience"”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Just returned from a 2 week stay at the Grand Paradise. Hotel was advertised as a 4 star resort, I found it was more a 2-3 star. I have travelled extensively around the Caribbean over the last 30 years. My first impression as I walked in the lobby... "What a shabby tired looking room" Rooms were clean. Food was insipid and of poor quality, even the 2 a la carte restaurants. Service was slow in buffet with long line ups every evening. Had food poisoning for the last 4 days of my trip. Beach was lovely but no beach service, umbrellas or cabanas. Entertainment was poor. Domestic drinks of cheapest quality.
Certainly would not reccomend this resort and would not be returning to this "no frills" hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Judy P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
toronto
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I will never go back to this resort. I am not a picky person but with minimal pros and so many cons, this resort has made me not want to go back to puerto plata ever.

PROS:

*Resort and rooms are fairly clean. Maids change towels everyday and clean room very well
*Entertainment staff are friendly and offer different activities throughout the day
*Beach is nice

CONS:

*Food is disgusting. I ate the same thing everyday, since the variety was so poor. I was starving and malnourished for the entire week
*Resort = retirement home. 90% of this place had guests that were 65+
*Bars close at 1AM!!! All the bars close at 1 except for the casino bar in which they will not serve you unless your gambling. Ummm didnt i pay for all inclusive?
*You get harassed on the beach! It is impossible to relax on the beach due to vendors walking up to you trying to sell you junk.
*Staff members are rude! Always looking for a tip. Male staff heckle women travelers.

I recommend travelers to stay away from this resort. I've stayed in Cuba and had a much better experience than this place. I will not stay here again. Ever again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank elisa06_00

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stay away from this resort no matter how cheap it is.

At the resort February 9th-16th (Couldnt wait to come home)

99.9% of the reviews are accurate regarding this resort. My wife and I use Trip Advisor as our Trip Bible. We read alot of the reviews and were hesitant but thought well we will make the best of our trip no matter what. There were good reviews and bad so we decided to go and was that ever a HUGE MISTAKE.

THE RESORT:

Grounds and buildings were nice but not that nice for a resort that was just renovated. They just slapped paint on, new blankets and curtains and Flat Screen TV's that were half decent.
Only one pool but was ok because the ocean was 30 seconds away as we were in building 8. The swim bar was ok but the Bar Tender was very nice and hillarious(the only nice guy there)
The resort staff is HORRIBLE...as most reviews say the same. They had no manners, never smiled and deffinately were not helpful at all. Even after tipping alot the service was still unbelievably horrible.
STAY AWAY FROM THE VIP PEOPLE....JUST A SCAM

The Food:

Completly DISGUSTING and repetative. Im still sick and cant keep anything in. Most resorts in the Dominican change it up so its not always the same thing everyday but not at the Grand Paradise...They even reuse some dinner foods from the night before for breakfest the next morning.
READ THIS CAREFULLY....Standing in line at lunch one day where the guy makes your omlette and your meat as it was lunch and he was cooking hamburgers and chicken burgers. My wife and I were standing waiting for a burger when I noticed a CockRoach crawling up the wall beside him. I pointed it out to him and the other guests in line waiting. He did nothing and the guests left as so did I.
Be prepared to stay in bed or in the bathroom if you eat at the resort. We ended up eating off the resort for many of our meals.
We have never been to a resort that you have to wait in line just to get into the buffet and then when you finally get in the food is all gone and the table service is horrible to none.
Get your drinks before even going into the buffet area before every meal even breakfest or you are left sitting there with nothing to drink.

The Entertainment:

Well dont know where to start....not really much besides Bingo and bowling with plastic pins and a tennis ball. I guess it was suitable being that the resort was like a nursing home...Full of older people.

The Rooms:

The first room we were in was Great I have to say...it was a superior room in building 8 near the pool and was spacious and clean. On our last day we were moved to building 14 and that was good with an ocean view. We only had our room cleaed by the maid once as we usually keep it clean ourselves however we did ask for clean towels everyday be prepared to recieve them late afternoon. Aswell they make you throw your toilet paper in the garbage cans.

Beach:

Well the beach is great the ocean is warm can be rough at times but overall good, there is coral reef close and you can snorkel and see beautiful fish on a very clear day otherwise forget it There are plenty of chairs and lots of room to sit unfortunately everywhere you turn there is some sort of vendor trying to sell you something or braid your hair.

Overall:

We made the best of our week as we spent a week together relaxing but would never return to this resort. If you don't expect much and I mean nothing then it might be for you but if ou enjoy some kind of quality then you should defenitley choose somewhere else to go.

Room Tip: Building 8 or 14
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikehobbins
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I was there from February 3rd-10th and everyone I mean EVERYONE got sick. I am still sick to this day, 1 week after coming back. No hot water for a couple of days and the food was HORRIBLE. Same stuff everyday and gross. Definitely not a 4 star.

P.S. - CanJet sucks!! Worst airline everrrrrrr. DO NOT FLY with this horrible company. My flight was delayed 8 hours both ways!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mike P
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed at the Grand Paradise from 25th January for 14 nights.

First off I love the DR having been there 12 times in the last 10 years. I have stayed in most of the hotels in Playa Dorrada. I would say that the Grand Paradise is a 3 and half star resort.

The food was cooked well and there is a fair choice but the choice is similar everyday. I am a fussy eater and still managed to find plenty to eat all the time. We tried both the Italian and Edens restaurants twice and enjoyed both.

We got a note saying we had to book for the buffet every night, either 630 or 830 but found that if you didn’t there was no issue. Thanks to Eduardo our waiter every morning and lunch time for his excellent service. He would always have my coffee for me when he saw me coming in and always smiling and happy.

The bar staff are also friendly and the service is good. In the UK we are good at queuing and waiting but other countries don’t seem to do this so don’t be afraid to jump in. There is NO PRESEDENTE. Remember this is a third world country and wages are very low. Tips go a long way. $1 at a meal and to the bar staff at night is very much appreciated and will get you better service.

The resort does seem to be frequented by older patrons but don’t let this put you off.

All of the entertainment staff Blue, Blacky, Bon Bon, Chiko are all fantastic and everyone had a great time with them.

Our room was overlooking the pool and could be a bit noisy, this never effected our sleep though. The room was basic but had everything you need and a good shower.

Half of the pool is always in the shade so the temperature is a bit lower than at other resorts but it’s refreshing and once you’re in it’s fine.

Do not be put off by reports of the beach vendors they are there to earn a living in a very poor country. A polite “no thanks” and they will leave you alone. I enjoy having a laugh with them and bartering for their items, never pay more than half the original price they give you. Don’t buy cigars on the beach.

The resort is always clean and staff always seem to be cleaning something.

If you want 5 star luxury pay much more and go to Punta Cana, for the price we paid we got what we paid for and had a great time. Thanks to our wonderful rep Sarah from TC for all her help.

Be wary of the French Canadians they are rude, ignorant, pretend they don’t speak English and need to learn that Quebec is part of Canada not a country.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple