“Excellent Location, Excellent Value”

Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
Ranked #36 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed one night at the Mercure Comercial and everything was fine. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room simple, but very clean and the location was excellent. The wifi, breakfast and lobby computer were very much appreciated and included in the price that I paid for the room. I had a room on the fifth floor, facing the street and noticed no noise level above normal for a city neighborhood. There was plenty to see within walking distance of the hotel. The only small complaint that I have was the weak water pressure in the shower, but it was not any kind of deal breaker. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank pjsubway
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I would rate my experience 3.5/5. Mixed feelings.

Pros:
Many good things to say about the hotel itself. The price($75/night) was good. The location was great for tourism, walking distance to a lot of things. The hotel lobby had a computer with internet access to use for free which was very nice to have so I could stay in touch with friends and family in the states. The hotel front desk exchanged currency during the daytime. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet. I read other reviews on here saying that it was not great quality, I think they're just expecting way too much for a breakfast buffet. Everyday there was 4 fresh cut fruits to choose from, coffee, juice, milk, eggs, bread, etc. Very pleased with the breakfast. The room and bathroom were nice and clean. The tv channel selection was good, included many channels in english too.

Cons:
The staff was terrible. If it weren't for them, would easily give 5/5 on the review. Stayed for 5 nights and had many problems. Upon arriving to the hotel for check-in, staff at front desk was very unattentive and unfriendly. No smiles to be seen which was a constant theme throughout our stay. Gentleman at the front desk wrote down the wrong room number on our key so after many failed attempts on the fifth floor, we came back down to lobby to get correct room number from him. One day my friend and I ate breakfast and went for a walk around outside. We came back to the hotel and I wanted to take a shower before starting our day full of activities. I did not have any towels because the cleaning people had not come to my room yet, which normally would not be a big deal, I would just ask the front desk for a towel and go about my day. Not at Mercure. I asked the front desk lady if I could have a towel to shower and she responded that I would get one when the cleaning lady cleaned my room. Hmm, ok, I asked around what time that would be because it was already in the afternoon and we had activities planned, to which she responded sometime this morning. ???? It was already after 1 o'clock in the afternoon. I had to take it upon myself to walk down the halls to look for the cleaning lady and ask her for a towel. She did not know we were staying for 2 more nights or otherwise would have cleaned the room already she said. Probably something the front desk could have handled for me instead of being rude to me. One day we met up with my friend's cousin who lives in D.R., who drove out a long ways to see us. The hotel front desk said that she could not go up to the room because we did not pay for a guest. Fair enough, I said money is no problem and I would pay for a guest. The front desk demanded that they scan a copy of her identification for her to be allowed in the room. She came all the way out and did not have it on her so she was refused entry. Again, front desk was very rude during the entire ordeal as if they have no clue about the hospitality industry. My last review on tripadvisor was for the Toscana Inn hotel in Panama City, Panama which I gave 5/5 on the review, as most others have, because of the tremendous service. I am not one to complain but the staff really does need to either be trained or replaced.

Room Tip: Others have left reviews saying they did not like the street noise, I had no problems with that but...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
H2974, Gerente at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear M. James B,

I just read your comment about your stay in our hotel and I see two different matters in it.
First some mistakes like the key issue, the room not done. On those matters, I want to apologize as indeed, this is not correct and some processes will be put in place to avoid the inconveniences in the future. Thank you also because my perception after reading your comment is that you are a very tolerant guest.
The second part worries me much more as you talked about attitude problems. I wish I could tell you what happened but I cannot. We are not used to have those attitudes in the hotel and our guests are even usually close to our staff. It is already planned to meet all together and we will discuss the problem.
Please do not stay with this vision of our people in Santo Domingo and do not hesitate to contact me before your next stay in the country, I will be pleased to make your next stay definitely pleasant.
The whole team wants to apologize for having given you this perception.

Best regards,

Pierre Bignalet
General manager
h2974-gm@accor.com

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel. While the price of $75 a night was a decent value;
the hotel quality is very poor. There is a lot of noise in the area. If you have a room
facing the street is very hard to sleep. The hotel offer a free breakfast daily but the
food quality is horrible. I stayed at the hotel three nights and the breakfast menu did
not change. I was only able to drink the coffee. The second day I actually went out for
breakfast because I couldn't consume the food that was being offered.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that do not face the street
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tim529
H2974, Gerente at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at The Mercure Comercial.

As a company we greatly value the feedback which we receive from our guests as we constantly strive to maintain a consistently high standard of service.

I was very concerned about your perception of the quality of the food we serve at the restaurant. Regarding the noise, we do offer quiet rooms in the inside of the building.

Should your time permit, your willingness to provide me with further details relating to the specific comments above or your recent experience at the Mercure Comercial in general would be most appreciated. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I may share your feedback with our team. I can be reached at h2974-gm@accor.com

We do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again to our hotel, thus giving us an opportunity to restore your confidence in our services.

Haydee Cruz