All reviewscolonial roomozama rivercolonial zonefrench embassybeautiful hotelhistoric locationlas damasold citymodern conveniencesdominican republichistorical sitesplaza espanathe ground floorother hotelsthe location is perfectbreakfast buffetcommon areas
Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

Greeted by the bellman with small hot towel and refreshment. The bellman was excellent. Front desk agent was good at check in but unpleasant at checkout.
The hotel is in a clean , safe environment and close to many good restaurants and museums at walking distance. Food in the hotel is a little too high especially the mini bar. Only 1 complimentary small bottle of water.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Albie16
hoteleshodelpa, Hodelpa Management at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Dear Alberleon K,
Thank you for choosing Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando for your stay in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo. We are glad you took the time to write your comment regarding your experience with us and we can assure you that your observations will be well taken into account, since we are currently improving all standards according to the Hodelpa Hotels vision. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 6 October 2016

I have stayed in Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando (Colonial district, Santo Domingo) for 8 nights on business. It is located in a quiet, but safe region of the city. The hotel staff (some of whom speak English) have been both extremely helpful & most caring and kind. I could not have asked for a better Dominican welcome. My requirements were simple and straightforward - but their assistance and support was 'beyond words'.
Despite the hurricane (which lasted for 3 days), the quality of the service was 5* (and beyond) and well in accordance to UK standards. Some readers would prefer to pay the extortionate prices of large high-rise hotels in the heart of Santo Domingo city - others (and I guess, most of us) would much prefer the more 'personal touch' - and this is precisely what Hodelpa Nicolas has in its favour. The staff and their outstanding committment to the institution (as well as their guests) is the hotel's greatest asset. Hopefully, the Management recognise this and rewards them accordingly. The pool, though small, is sufficient for any keen traveller. The location is both convenient and fairly picturesque. During my free time, the walks around the Colonial District have been a real joy and a pleasant distraction. I return home today with very fond memories of Hotel Nicolas (but also much respect for their staff) for such a genuinely warm, caring & supportive welcome. if ever I return (and I sincerely hope that I will do so), I would undoubtedly stay in the very same hotel. Forget your international hotel chains - support local and support real Dominican welcome. They deserve it without question!

Room Tip: Try the omlette at breakfast ... skilled cuisine
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Wyn T

Dear Wyn T,
Thank you for choosing Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando for your stay in the Colonial district of Santo Domingo. There are hardly any words to express how much we appreciate your very kind comment on your memorable experience with us… We are especially glad that at the end you say to forget the international hotel chains and support local business and the real Dominican welcome! We are deeply and sincerely touched by your words, they are the reason why we work hard every day to improve ourselves and our service with the passion for details that is our motto… and not an empty one! We certainly hope to have you back again… please do not hesitate to contact us directly for any assistance.
Warm regards.

Reviewed 27 September 2016

This is a very nice hotel located in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo. Within walking distance to a lot of restaurants, shops, and attractions. Staff was very nice.

Here are a few of the good, the bad, and the ugly:

~ Found it odd that the room did not have a clock, iron, or ice bucket.
~ I found the bed to be painfully hard, but the hotel staff provided a mattress pad right away
~ Was charged $35 in local calls. There are no signs or warnings of this. Was a little surprised upon checking out.

Another tip, a water from the mini bar is around $5, a coke around $8. Go 2 blocks from the hotel to the supermarket, and stock up on beverages and snacks at a fraction of the cost.

The hotel's architecture is very beautiful. I found the free parking located across the street to be very convenient. Overall, I was happy with my stay and would use this hotel again :)

Room Tip: The colonial rooms they charge extra for are not worth it and are half the size of a standard room
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
hoteleshodelpa, Hodelpa Management at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2016

Dear HunteRuby,
Thank you for choosing Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando for your stay in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo. We appreciate you took the time to write your comment on your experience with us and we are very glad to read that you were happy with your stay and will use our hotel again! Be reassured that next time you come you will find improvements in the areas you mentioned, given that starting September 1st this hotel became a Hodelpa property and standards will be adjusted accordingly.
Best regards.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Nice hotel in a very old school area zona Colonial is a beautiful place and the people here are super nice and their services is great. The food and drinks are great at night is very romantic great place to go as a couple for a weekend getaways. Their is a lot to do around there like shopping, drinking, night life, and much more. Definitely a must go....

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mrsdibua

Dear Jeka0323,
Thank you for choosing Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando for your romantic weekend getaway… can`t think of a better place to go in Santo Domingo! We appreciate your nice words on the beauty of the place, the nice staff, great service, food and drinks at atmosphere at night, plus the wonderful colonial zone where the hotel is located offering many things to do.
We look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

I've read some of the reviews for this hotel and for the most part it stands up to its good reputation. Hotel staff from the doorman, all the way to the housemaids are very friendly and courteous. I stayed in one of the suites, room 3015 to be exact and the accommodations were spacious and very comfortable. Television stations were limited to very few English speaking stations and the selection of channels were not what I expected, but then again I was not in the room too often. The selection of snacks and beverages in the mini bar / fridge were sub standard and the temperature of the fridge was not cold enough. The phone was not programmed properly either as every time I pressed the speed dial button to either the room service or the housemaid staff, it would not work so I would have to be routed through reception. Parking is also very limited and the hotel is hard to get to but understandable since it is in the Old Colonial City. The main concern I had was the quality of food. Simple items such as a "club sandwich" were not prepared properly and the bread was just terrible. I did not enjoy any of the meals that I ordered. The Caesar salad had a home made dressing that was absolutely horrible, and the other food items that I ordered such as the New York Steak, or the Spaghetti Bolognese were just not up to par. To make matters worse, specific instructions to staff to "hold the mayo" or "well done" were completely ignored and even though I repeated instructions several times, the food seemed to come out the same way every time, no matter how insistent I was about the instructions. Santo Domingo has some real great restaurants that for a fraction of the cost, one could enjoy a much better dining experience elsewhere. In conclusion, although I do agree with the fact that the hotel is very elegant, clean, and the staff are courteous, it is the attention to detail in the room and with the food that was a real disappointment to me. The other thing that I find in general was the fact that when I complained about something, no one really seemed to really give a hoot. They would simply either smile and ignore me, or give me a half witted answer that was not any help at all, so after 1 week at the hotel, I just gave up and accepted things as is. For $500 USD per night, one would expect much better quality with the food and I would think customer concerns and complaints should be their number one priority. I don't think I would stay in this hotel again unless new management takes over. I've attached a photo of the club sandwich that I ordered which was, frankly, not palatable.

Room Tip: Third Floor Suites have best views.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Dimitri V
hoteleshodelpa, Hodelpa Management at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2016

Dear Dimitri V,
It is with great pleasure that we inform you that starting September 1st, 2016 the Nicolas de Ovandos hotel will be operated by the HODELPA chain. From now on Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando will be called this way and continue its operations with the personalized service and Passion for Details that characterize our hotels.
We sincerely appreciate your observations on your experience and we can assure you that we took note of each and every comment in order to improve the points you describe.
We look forward to welcoming you again in our great hotel.