All reviews cell phone place to stay cable tv guest house narakiels lynne microwave accommodation dominica island
Reviewed 3 February 2018

I stayed at Narakiel's Inn in Jan 2018 for 4 nights. The accommodations exceeded my expectations. The room was clean and comfortable. I was able to use all ammenties except cable tv which wasn't a problem for me. The manager Richard Astaphan treated me well. There was no noise and the place was quiet and inviting. Its located in a great location with quick access to the capital and coastal regions of Dominica. I would recommend Narakiels Inn to travelers to Dominica.

Room Tip: Quiet, comfortable, ideal
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2017

The manager Richard Astaphan is a pig. He needs to be trained in customer service. He was very unmannerly to me and my mother when we stayed there. He is very abrasive in responding to questions and when asked to have our linens changed, he told us they are changed only after spending half of the time there. He never once asked if we were comfortable and if there was anything he could do to make our stay a pleasant one. We would not recommend there as long as he is the manager. We tried contacting the owner who lives in the USA to lodge our complaints but have not received a response since leaving a voice message.

Room Tip: The room we were given had blown tiles, a broken chair, cobwebs and next to noisy neighbours.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
NatureIsle, General Manager at Narakiel's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

Dear Guest, I did not actually receive your voicemail message and so this is why I did not respond then to you complaints. My apologies regarding this. I wish to inform our guests that I have partied ways with the former local manager of Narakiel's Inn, Richard, effective March 2018 and have hired new staff on all levels. To me the comfort of our guests is paramount and so I was deeply saddened to read the recent bad reviews listed here related to the level of service offered by Richard as my goal is to provide guests with the highest level of customer care. However, since I primarily run the Inn remotely, unfortunately I am unable to be there in person most of the time. In the past several months, I have instituted several measures to remedy the deficiencies identified here including traveling to Dominica to make necessary repairs and improvements to Narakiel's after Hurricane Maria and to personally train all new staff myself.

We now have a new Local Manager, who I believe is much better aligned with providing the level of service that our guests deserve and a lovely new housekeeper who is friendly and does a wonderful job at keeping the Inn clean. Our new local manager is warm, enthusiastic, professional and eager to offer guests the same level of customer care and service that I would provide if I was there in person. We greatly appreciate the thoughtful feedback provided here and we will continue to institute changes to ensure that they are all addressed.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

I normally do exhaustive research when choosing a place to stay – even for one night.

Unfortunately, when a loved one fell seriously ill on Dominica, I literally had hours to put together flights from the US down and back and hotel accommodations on two islands (Dominica and Guadeloupe.)

I have traveled to numerous Caribbean locales (50+) over many years, and I rarely leave bad reviews. In 25+ years of travel to the islands, this stay will go down in history as, bar none, the worst experience with personnel at any lodging, 90% of which was due to the “manager,” Richard.

This was my 4th trip to Dominica, so I am familiar with the island. As mentioned, I have extensive Caribbean travel experience, so I did not go with any expectations of “luxe” accommodations. I chose this place for three reasons – proximity to the hospital, reviews, and my preferred choice was booked.

There were several early issues which would normally serve as red flags, but being pressed for time, I did not take heed/notice:

1. The latest review was terrible and paralleled my experience
2. The only two reviews since January of 2016 don’t appear real (both reviewers have 1 review only)
3. No one I spoke with on the island had ever heard of this place
4. I was required to pay in full, up front, with NO refunds for any reason
5. The person who took my credit card is in the US
6. I was charged the high season rate

Now, on to the review itself…

It took me 12 hrs to get to the island from the US, and I had been up since 3 am when I arrived on the island at 5:30 pm. I had no luggage, so I zipped through customs and went to the taxi stand. I had pre-arranged for a taxi through the inn - even that was a train wreck. The cost was quoted at $30, but I was not told I would have to wait for the driver to fill the large SUV (who knows how long that would take with people waiting for luggage!) and for EVERY other person to be dropped off on the way into town.

When I explained to the driver I needed to go right then, he said he’d do it for $80!!! When I explained I could not do that, he found a driver who was leaving (from Irvin’s taxi), and I was on my way.

My taxi driver had no idea where this place was and had never heard of it – I never spoke with a single person the whole time I was there who knew of this place. The only way we were able to find it was by my description of the building from pictures and that it was by the river below the hospital.

When we arrived, of COURSE, there was no one to check me in and no way to get into the building. When we pulled up outside, I was like, “Uh oh.” The place is in a sketchy-looking section by the river, adjacent to a wooded area with trash everywhere. There is no lobby, and the door has a large sign on it forbidding you to knock. Despite my letting them know exactly when I would be arriving, my taxi driver had to call to get us admitted, and that was when I met Richard for the first time…

NO welcome, NO “thank you.” Just berating the taxi driver for not following some imagined protocol. I was very taken aback, but tired and anxious to get to the hospital, I followed Richard to the room.

He insisted on “showing me around,” and when I picked up the room keys from the table in preparation to leave after a short briefing, he SNATCHED THE KEYS FROM MY HAND and snapped, “I TOLD you I am going to show you around! I don’t want you complaining if you can’t figure things out because you didn’t pay attention!!!”

Wow. OK. I’ve got a loved one potentially dying that I am desperate to see, and this man is behaving like this… Anyway, I humored him and was on my way with the driver. (HIGHLY recommend Nicky from Irvin’s Taxi.) I can only imagine how Richard would have spoken to me had Nicky not been there!

When I got back from the hospital and the store that night, I put the chair against the door because I did not feel safe. When I got up in the morning to leave for the hospital, I found that my door would not lock! I tried for 5-10 minutes to get it to lock and finally gave up and secured my belongings as best I could. When I tried calling Richard (from my US cell phone), he would not answer. I sent an email to Lynne (absent owner?) with no response. I had a local friend try calling, and, imagine that, Richard answered on the first ring!

He met me and my friend at my room and proceeded to insult me that I had not paid attention when he was showing me how to lock and unlock the door. I was still unable to get it to lock, and he said I was “being too rough.” (I weigh 125 lbs soaking wet.) ALL he would have had to say was something like, “The door lock is tricky - you have to jiggle it like so…” Call me crazy, but a woman traveling alone would like to be able to lock her door without a schematic. CLEARLY, he knew prior the lock was defective…

Anyway, I was then able to lock my door and continued on my way. At the end of my two-night stay, upon checking out, two ladies had to come in and look all around the room to make sure I had not broken or stolen anything before I could leave. NICE…

Pros: Close to town and hospital, A/C worked well, reasonable price, microwave, mini-fridge, ceiling fan, robes, wall-mounted TV with remote.

Cons: 1. Richard. 2. Richard. 3. Richard. Sketchy neighborhood, questionable cleanliness, odd policies, no reception area, tiny room and tinier bathroom, noisy (very thin walls), three keys to get into room (two exterior and one interior doors), minimal amenities.

What is REALLY unfortunate about this poor review is that if it had not been for Richard and his TERRIBLE attitude, it would never have been written. He made an already really bad situation much worse for me, and the owner(s) of this property should seriously consider his dismissal. He has NO business whatsoever in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank CaribbeanDiana

Dear Diana, thank you for taking the time to share these detailed thoughts about your stay. I wish to inform you that we have heard your concerns and have parted ways with the former local manager of Narakiel's Inn, Richard, effective March 2018 and have hired new staff on all levels. To me the comfort of our guests is paramount and so I was deeply saddened to read the recent bad reviews listed here related to the level of service offered by Richard as my goal is to provide guests with the highest level of customer care. However, since I primarily run the Inn remotely, unfortunately I am unable to be there in person most of the time. In the past several months, I have instituted several measures to remedy the deficiencies identified here including traveling to Dominica to make necessary repairs and improvements to Narakiel's after Hurricane Maria (including adding a digital lock to the front door and updating all guest room locks) and to personally train all new staff myself.

We now have a new Local Manager, who I believe is much better aligned with providing the level of service that our guests deserve and a lovely new housekeeper who is friendly and does a wonderful job at keeping the Inn clean. Our new local manager is warm, enthusiastic, professional and eager to offer guests the same level of customer care and service that I would provide if I was there in person. Again I greatly appreciate the thoughtful feedback provided here and will continue to institute changes to ensure that they are all addressed.

Reviewed 29 April 2017

Water was not working the first and part of the second day (so no shower, no flushing of toilet...)
Wifi was not available during 2nd and during the last day. The incompetent manager talked a lot but did nothing to compensate us (not even offering us bottled water or a bucket to flush the toilet with, a discount or a bigger room. The hotel was empty, we now know why).
Toilet was filthy when we entered and bedroom had chewing gum on the ceiling, both have not been cleaned in the four days we were there. Shower failed to give decent quantities of water, even after the water had been ´fixed´.
If you have to stay here, try to avoid the manager and after finding imperfections (which you will), immediately demand compensation on the threat of leaving.

Room Tip: Simply avoid the place if you wanna have a relaxed holiday. Bring your own shampoo and soap, because it´s not provided for.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank TomfromNL

Dear Tom, I did not actually receive your voicemail message and so this is why I did not respond then to you complaints. My apologies regarding this. I wish to inform our guests that I have partied ways with the former local manager of Narakiel's Inn, Richard, effective March 2018 and have hired new staff on all levels. To me the comfort of our guests is paramount and so I was deeply saddened to read the recent bad reviews listed here related to the level of service offered by Richard as my goal is to provide guests with the highest level of customer care. However, since I primarily run the Inn remotely, unfortunately I am unable to be there in person most of the time.

To speak to some of your specific concerns, a water tank has now been installed on the premises for use in instances where the local water company shuts down the water supply and the Wifi company has been changed to what we hope will prove to be a more reliable service provider. In the past several months, I have traveled to Dominica to make such improvements to Narakiel's after Hurricane Maria and to personally train all new staff myself.

Reviewed 26 April 2017

I had an amazing time in Dominica staying at Narakiel's Inn. Our close proximity to Downtown Roseau made it easy to explore. Richard is an amazing manager and provided all of the things necessary for my group to have a great time. He's so knowledgeable of Dominica and recommended some great restaurants! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends