Livingstone Jan Thiel Resort
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Avila Beach Hotel(Willemstad)
View Hotel
All reviewsdutch speakingwalking distancefull kitchennice staynice poolgrocery storebedroomvillaterrasislandacswimmingpoolcaribbean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2016

Instead of Bay Bay bungalow we purchesed from Sunwing they give me a chicken house called RIF Azul...cleaning service very bad,same cloths for everything,
No service at all for 7 days ! 3 US dollar was too small payment for a bus boy to take 2 suit cases to the room... Don't like this place,special a manager Selenca who was hiding and did not want to admit their mistake ...No appology,no thank you ...

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Galina K
Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

A very nice place to stay for vacation i Curacao. Nice and safe area. Helpful personnel, everything in order. Diving centre next to the reception. Spacious, clean apartment with a well equipped kitchen. An excellent way of living during the holiday. At a walking distance from a supermarket, the Jahn Thiel beach and restaurants. My advice is to rent a car to make the most out of Curaçao.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anna K
Reviewed 15 February 2016

As a Americans, we are spoiled..you have to remember that what we consider average in USA, is considered great in Curacao...But you are in their sandbox, so suck it up! We were there to Dive and explore, not stay in a room...that being said, this is an older resort...the restaurant is not recommended, but the pool is lovely and has nice landscaping. Our room included a living area with full size refrigerator, dishwasher and 4 top stove, microwave..couch, TV, dining table and chairs...a very nice porch with table and chairs., which overlooked the swimming pool. ..the room with the bed, "king", actually 2 twins pushed together with closet...no dressers, no tv in room...good size bathroom, small shower, dual sinks. no place to really open suitcases and put away clothes or to store open....we made do....we went to dive... HOWEVER, the PADI dive shop that is attached to this resort is AWESOME and that made everything else okay with us. This is within walking distance to a small grocery store (WAY OVER PRICED, but I was not there to cook anyway) and the ocean beach. Would I go back? Possibly, but with reservations and being more specific on what I expected...but we booked on Expedia and it was still a great Vacay!

Room Tip: Ask about what is in each bed room and if beds are true King or Queen, not pushed together twins.......
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NoahsMom83
Reviewed 13 February 2016

Stayed in a house for three days with two kids age 9 and 11. The houses are fairly big and with a functioning kitchen (Except there are no oven). The resort is situated above the beach with a seaview from some of the houses (fx from no. 5 where we stayed). There is a two minute walk to the beach. Unfortunately the walk back is at least five minutes because the exit to the beach is a one way exit, and you have to go to the other site of the resort to get in ! - this could work better.

The wifi is free and with great bandwith :-) The restaurant on the premises is ok. Nothing special but on the other hand not as bad as you often find them in resorts where they dont hav to make an effort because they are conveniently situated.
The nearby beach is nice but not very big. Go there in the morning before it gets too crowded. The hotel pool is a nice 25 meter which was never crowded during our stay.

One thing that we discussed during our stay was the very mixed attitude among the staff at the front desk and in the restaurant. The staff was a mix of locals and young Dutch women. The difference in service mindedness was striking. While the Europeans where actively communicating, suggesting, smiling, the local staff at the desk and restaurant hardly said a word (except "no") We got to think that maybe this is just how they are, but later on the vacation we stayed at other places with local staff with a different and positive attitude. I must stress that the work was done alright by all the staff. It is just very strange to go to the desk and tell them that neither the safe, the remote nor the hot water is working. And the reaction is a short "ok" before the lady turns her back at you and - very slowly - leaves the reception desk. I just stood there waitning for a "we will send a technician to your house later today" or something like that. But the only reaction was the "ok" and a turned back. We had several similar incidents during our stay. - things were fixed later that day, but still this was very odd behaviour at a reception desk. Reminded me somehow of eastern europe before the fall of the Berlin wall.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2016

I stayed in one of the apartments at livingstone for a few months whilst working in Curacao. Having previously stayed at the Hilton and Blue Bay I wasn't sure what else I could expect.
Livingstone exceeded my expectations, the accommodation was large and had all the facilities you could hope for, including a huge balcony from which you can watch the sun setting over the sea. The staff were also wonderful, they were kind, friendly and made you feel very welcome. Melanie, Bianca and Endy became like an extended family, always welcoming, chatty and helpful. I was actually quite disappointed when my work forced my to move to another hotel.
The location is also great, shops, restaurants and beaches nearby. I would recommend this hotel to anyone fortunate enough to be travelling to this lovely island, as I said the location is great, but be aware you are about 15 minutes from Willemstad so be prepared to drive or use the frequent buses if you want to venture into the main own.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business