“Beautiful wedding”
Review of IBEROSTAR Tainos

IBEROSTAR Tainos
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Me and my Husband stayed here between 13 April and 27th . We travelled in a group of 20 and we got married here on 19th April.

Firstly yes we had a few problems with our rooms when we first arrived however this was sorted within an hour or so and we were given a junior suite which was brilliant. To us that was enough but to top this we were given a bottle of rum to say sorry too. The room was cleaned everyday to a high standard by the maid .

Yes Some of our group were ill with a stomach bug including myself and my husband but I don't believe this was from any fault of the hotel at all. When I stayed in Cuba at a different hotel the previous year I was also ill. I think it's a mixture of the heat and different foods not necessarily that the food is bad. When my husband was Ill the manager could not do enough for him even having some food brought up to our room.

Yes I guess there could be a bit more variety of food but the food was nice!

The pool was lovely , can't say I really noticed that it hadn't been cleaned . It seemed clean and tidy . the beach is amazing out of this world!

The Entertainment team at this hotel need a huge mention. Marvas , Elvis were fab I can Definatley recommend the Salsa and beach games.

Now to our wedding. Our wedding planner Giselle was brilliant , she was so helpful and kind and we honestly felt like we'd made a true friend by the end of our stay. Everything was organised and planned within a couple of hours to our liking , nothing was too much trouble for her. The manager Dejan even came and introduced himself to us and wished us a perfect day which we thought was a special touch.

The only thing I will say which is not a negative point against the staff or hotel is if you have a particular colour theme and you want flowers or ribbons to match please think about bringing ribbon , confetti things like that with you as you are limited to what is available in in Cuba. Don't forget this is a third world country and things you may take for granted in the UKare not always available in Cuba.

Our actual wedding day was perfect.
Although it wasn't on the beach which we knew about before we came it was just beautiful. The gardens surrounding the gazebo are so well kept, the small walk way / aisle from the hotel to the gazebo is lovely . Yes the gazebo is not far from the lobby of the hotel but that had no effect on our wedding day at all.

We would like to say a huge Thankyou to all of the staff at the tainos and a special thanks to the Manager Dejan who helped make our stay even more memorable. We tried to say goodbye but we couldn't find you before our bus arrived for the Airport.

We would go back to this hotel tomorrow if we couls and one day we will return to celebrate our anniversary and to see the amazing staff again.

From Kimberley & Graham Bowman

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Kimberley1980
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Dear Friends,

It was our plasure to have you here with us in Iberostar Tainos, and also it was our plasure to help you and assist you in every posible way. I will pass your wirds to Giselle, Marvis, Elvis, and I feel sorry that I was not over there to say godbay to you, however I do hope to see you again and wish you, and your family all the best.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

After 4 days in Havana this was our next stop!! We took a lot of time and effort to choose our hotel and the holiday cost us a lot of money as this was a belated honeymoon and we were very disappointed.
Upon arrival i was disappointed from the start and then we got to our room, it felt like a 2 star self catering apartment in Spain without the kitchen, the furniture in the room and lobby area etc are very tired looking, actually most areas are. My husband told me to start with the positives on here so here we go:
The staff are very friendly the girls in the restaurant and bar staff work very hard, great beach, the food in the main restaurant is good but after 10 days you have had enough. I ate once from the poolside lunch food and had the Cuban craps for 2 days; I think leaving the food out in the open with birds flying around is not a good idea the shows they put on were good. We done the three cities tour which was great, the dolphin swim and the catamaran trip all of which were fab and I would recommend to do these, we had a great meal in Al Capones house which is now a restaurant very good value for money and great lobster. We arrived on the 18th April for 2 weeks and the weather was very varied.

The pool area is not big enough for the amount of people if you dont get there early you wont get a bed and when it is full there are far to many people around the pool when the storms come, and they do, we had 4, there are not enough seats for people to sit on as the lobby/reception is the main area for drinks etc. Our room was very basic we had damp on the ceiling and wall, the walls had been painted at some stage and on the curtains was paint drips why these had not been replaced I don’t know. I had some towels changed one day as I went to dry myself and the towels had big holes in them! Not what I would expect from a 4* hotel. Jelly was left out one day where the food is near the pool and on looking at this later it was smothered in what are their small ants! these are also in the rooms I even had them in the bed.

On returning back to the room one day I asked for the bedding to be re-changed as the stains on there did not belong to us. The beach is a great place but unless you are Canadian and tip you don’t get served drinks you have to go and get your own, it seemed that our hotel was the only hotel that took the boats in for 2 o’clock even when the green flag was up which means all is ok with the sea on asking the guy why we couldnt take them out he said they were closed, in 10 days there the boats were only available in the morning.

We had a lot of trouble from a Canadian couple when they were moved into the bungalow above us after 4 days into their stay, I wonder why they were moved!! Their first night they were in the room i had to call security due to their constant noise and loud music my husband got into an argument with the guy as he would not turn his music down due to the fact it was his vacation and he could do what he wanted, his words!!! Security took 1hr 40 minutes to arrive the music stopped but their noise continued this noise was slamming of balcony and main doors, dragging furniture around the room and shouting. We had a meeting the following morning with our rep and Manager who were both very helpful and did sympathise with us. I informed the manager i did not expect this from a 4* hotel and did not think the hotel was 4*, we were assured any further problems from them they would be removed from the hotel and security were on guard for them that night, champagne and fruit was sent to our room as an apology. The following night long story short we had more problems security were there within 15 minutes but they were not removed and the noise only stopped because the girl had left so the guy could not argue with her. We were informed by Management the next day they were being removed from the hotel that day due to our problems and rudeness to the bar staff but they had to wait for their rep, unfortunately this was our last day so I do not know if they were removed and would of loved to of been there to have waved them off.
I could go on and on about the problems but i won’t bore you, the outcome is I have a complaint letter going to Thomson as this hotel is not a 4* not by any standards, i will be enclosing pictures to Thomson of damp and mould, ceilings that look like they are coming down, along with the towels etc the total trip including Havana cost us over £3,000 and i feel that whatever the cost was for this part of the holiday was wasted. A couple we met were staying in the Beau Varadero which we did manage to sneak into and this hotel was what I class as 4*. Our friend from the Blau Hotel popped in one day to us and all they could say was this is grim!

I don’t like to write bad however, i give credit where it is due and write the truth, i can’t tell you how disappointed we were. The whole of Vardero is full of loud mouth, greedy, arrogant Canadians and if this it what you like to be surrounded by then this is fine, people talk about brits abroad well they beat us.

I would go back to Havana again and would like to stay for longer but i think the beach side of Cuba I would be happy to avoid! conparing to the Iberostar Park Central in Havana where we stayed this was a HUGE disapointment.

Room Tip: Stay at the Beau Varadero
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maria M
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Dear Maria,

First of all thank you for your review. Second, with regard to the noise of the guests coming from the room above, we sincerely apologize for their uncivilized behavior. However ,your review surprized me, and as far as I was talking to you and your husband , and also the day of your departure I was with you to say Good By and you told me how good vacation, you had,
I do not understand why you never mentioned all of those issues to me, and give us any oportunity to remedy some of the problems.
Even your rep. mentioned in a front of you how good holiday you had and you confirmed that everything was excelent. Wherever you go you will have people from Canada, Germany, France, ...and this is something that we can not change..however even if your really surprized me with your comments (especialy when we talk about your return to our hotel)
I feel sorry that you did not ever told me how you really felt in Iberostar Tainos. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once more for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Wish you all the best

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just arrived back from a wonderful week at Iberostar Tainos. The staff at this resort are so friendly and helpful. The recreation staff are the very best and always kept me teenaged sons very busy. The food was plentiful and a good variety. Rooms were clean but I have to say need a facelift. The pool area was great with a barbeque everyday!!. The beach was amazing and with a bar right on the beach. Thanks to the Tainos for a great seven days. Hope to be back again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ChelseaNewfoundland

Dear Friends,

Thank you for yours nice words, and we also hope to see you again in the near future. Iberostar Family will wait for you, and do not hesitate to contact me.

Wish you all the best

Reviewed 3 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Tainos for 10 nights at the end of April and had a brilliant time.
We will keep this short and sweet- amazing beach, lovely large pool, great bungalow, good choice of food, entertainment around the pool when you are having your lunch- all fantastic. Adding on to all of this are the staff. Every person that we came into contact with at the hotel was so helpful, kind, funny. All of the staff really are brilliant (we must mention Claudia at reception, Orlando in the restauant, George at the pool and Fernando in the animacion team in particular!!) and make sure you have a smile on you face throughout the holiday.
Don't hesitate to book this hotel, you wil love it!!

Room Tip: We had a bungalow and it was great.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EmAnt1204

Dear Friends,

Thnak you very much for your nice review. I will pass your words to Caludia, Orlando,George,Fernando, and to all my staff. We are glad that you had a good holiday.

Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the tainos for 2 weeks from April 13-27th and can honestly say we had a great time!
Firstly I would like to say that Ariel our rep is a great guy, he's friendly, down to earth, helpful and always polite. Hes a credit to Thomas Cook.
I spent a lot of time reading reviews before travelling and admit I was apprehensive however everyone's expectations are different and sadly some do forget that 4* in Cuba will it be the same as 4* in the UK! Bearing this in mind we were pleasantly surprised by how good this hotel was. All of the staff we met at the tainos work extremely hard to provide a positive experience to its guests. Special credit should be given to Julio at the pool and all the guys in the lobby bar who are so friendly and efficent and always remember your drinks how you like them! The general manager is always about talking to guests but Unfortunately we didn't get the chance to speak personally to him and tell him how good all of his staff are as his time is taken up primarily by people complaining about trivial things (bitten by insects? In the carribean?! Never!) in order to claim their free bottle of rum!
We stayed in bungalow 3702 which was a nice size with a big balcony and 3 single beds, yes the rooms are a little outdated but the beds are comfortable, the shower is hot and the mini bar is cold which is all we personally need!
The pool is a good size and there's always a sun lounger no matter what time of day you turn up, there's plenty of shade if you need it too which is good if you're travelling with a pale skinned husband or children :)
The food is standard all inclusive, with the addition of a roast most nights for those who like their meat and 2 veg and we always managed to find something tasty to eat. My husband did have an upset tummy for a day or two but as we ate pretty much the same at every meal time I think it was more likely from too much sun and not enough water than from the food.
The beach is beautiful, crystal clear water and soft sand as far a you can see, 10 steps to the bar, beach games from the entertainment team and plenty of sun loungers too!
The star friends team work so hard to get people involved and do everything from yoga, aqua gym and water polo to archery, darts and throw the ball into stuff type games! You even get a diploma if you win!
We do have a few things we feel could be improved, the pool floor could do with being cleaned more often as its very slippy, also a few more seats in the lobby wouldn't be a bad thing, even I'd they were somewhere stacked up so people could grab one but other than that it's a good hotel on a beautiful stretch of coast with amazing staff.
We probably won't return to Cuba but if we did I'd give the tainos another go for sure.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Mrsord

Dear Friends,

Let me tell you that I also feel sorry that you did not come to me, and that we did not meet each other. Thank you very much for your nice review and I will pass your words to Ariel your rep. and Julio. Whenever you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact me.