New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great location but lack of maintenance” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Raquel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havana
Hotel Raquel
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Havana
London, United Kingdom
“Great location but lack of maintenance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

This hotel has great potential to become one of the best boutique hotel in Havana. The location is unbeatable for sure. The hotel was restored in 2003 and the interior of the lobby will take your breath away. It's beautiful and caged elevator adds more to the old fashioned style of the hotel.

Some of the staff were really helpful with above average english compared to the other hotels in Havana. We were trying to find a room during busy period in the last minute and one of the lady was really helpful. At the end we got the top floor room which I guess it's supposed to be the suite room. The room is huge with furniture that start to show some wears and tears. I guess they are only good in restoring the building but not maintaining them. Just like the other places in Havana, you can forget about water pressure in the shower and the bathtub looked dirty with all the stains.

The breakfast was awful but the hotel is so close to Cafe el Escorial at Plaza Viaje which has excellent coffee and good sandwich.

Overall, I would still recommend this hotel for short stay in the city if you can get good price. The 200 CUC that we paid is definitely too much for this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank LeoLHR
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Falkirk, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

This hotel is very well located (in Vieja Habana, yards from Plaza Vieja) and looks quite spectacular, especially at night when the outside of the building and the mouldings are illuminated. Inside, the illuminations from the first and second floor are also lovely. For the money, I felt I got a good deal - yes the showers were disappointing but they worked well enough. In Cuba don't expect boiling hot water. The furniture was fine - antiques and wrought iron, although don't knock your shin on the bed frame, ouch! People at reception were very helpful. They let me store my bag when I came back from a few days in Vinales on my last afternoon before I flew back to Europe. I had sorted it out before I left the hotel and it was no problem whatsoever. A good tip ensured good service and I'd like to mention the bellboy Yan (not sure of spelling) in particular who ordered taxis and negotiated decent prices on my behalf. Breakfast was fine (loved the wee pancakes), there was enough to keep you going until mid-afternoon, although the choice of teas was a bit weird - no 'proper' tea or green tea, only herbal stuff. I didn't try the bar. In the building at the opposite corner of Amargura and San Ignacio people have hens and a rooster on their roof. So I was wakened by the rooster in the early mornings... But that's the charm of Havana (and Cuba) so it was fine. I left a tip and a couple of notepads for the cleaners because they did a great job. The roof garden was a little disappointing - there was no bar and it was quite blowy, so not very warm (evenings are cool in December). But great views and I'm sure that in the very hot season it's lovely in the evenings. Note that some bedrooms have no windows. I personally didn't like the one I was given on the first night (Room 101 I think) although I take the point about not being bothered by the light. And no noise from the street. However the fridge and air conditioning were noisy and a nuisance. I prefer natural light and the crowing cockerel! If you prefer natural light, ask at reception for a change of room.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto San Ignacio and Armagura have windows. I think probably about 6 rooms have no wi...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Emmanuelle1960
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed at Hotel Raquel for the first 2 nights when we arrived in Havana before staying in Casa’s for the remainder of the trip.

I’ll premise this review by saying that Hotel Raquel met most of my expectations; however I hadn’t set my expectations too high! Everything in Havana is a compromise between location, character, cost and quality. For me location and character were great, while cost and quality were both ok. The small irritations (leaky showers or flies around the food) weren’t massive concerns for me.

Hotel Raquel was a great base for our first couple of days; letting us find our feet and explore a lot of the old city. The building (a former bank) has been nicely restored a number of years ago, but as with many places in Cuba there isn’t a lot of money for ongoing maintenance and some of the non-public areas were a bit tired (the bath had rust starting to appear and splits in the shower head cord).

We stayed in room 211 (Hannah) which has a window over the street but we didn’t really notice much street noise in the room. The rooftop is perfect for a drink while watching the sun go down and the bar staff are happy to bring your drinks up for you (and keep the drinks coming) for a tip.

Yes, there may have been a few flies around at breakfast, but if you get in early you can beat the flies for some snacks to get you going for the day! I ate up every morning and didn’t have any ill effects.

I’d recommend Hotel Raquel to someone looking for a beautiful old building with character in a central location who isn’t expecting perfection.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dazza1979
Brasília, Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel because of its excellent location and reasonable prices. The building is a reminder of the good ol’ days, very elegant. It was restored and is still in a good shape. The furniture though is old, as well is the tellie and bathroom appliances. The breakfast could be better, but the staff is kind. After I left I found out I had forgotten my cell phone. I called them, they found and kept it safe until I could pick it up 2 weeks later. Last tip: Visit their rooftop garden, it’s lovely.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ChrisWings
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Hotel Raquel is superbly located in Old Havana very close to Plaza Veija, so convenient for beer mojitos. The hotel itself is splendidly restored with a real sense of grandeur. The rooms were clean and the shower was ok, lukewarm mostly. We didn't have a window in our room but that helped us sleep. It was pretty noisy on a weekday morning though. The roof garden is nice, it's a shame there isn't a bar up there, but they do bring drinks up if requested (and tipped). Breakfast is this hotel's Achilles heel; buffet style but not kept too fresh and looked unappealing. I stuck to bread mostly, and fruit if I was feeling brave.

Room Tip: Ask for a window, and a double bed if you'd prefer that to two singles.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CherryDaiquiri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havana
Sol Hotel
#2 of 11 in Juan Dolio
A Peace of Paradise
A Peace of Paradise
#1 of 1 in Praslin Quarter

Been to Hotel Raquel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK