“Always lovely”

Sociedad Asturiana Castropol
Ranked #96 of 902 Restaurants in Havana
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2018

We stayed in La Habana for a period of 14 days, 1 street away from Castropol so actually my family of 6 always popped in after our stunning long walks through havana.
We were never disappointed, the mojitos, fresh lemonade and delicious pizzas were always a hit with my sons and Mum. We were almost always served by a beautiful waitress named Julia, she made those visits extra special always enquirying about our day. Castropol is not the typical local eatery but its location and good food at reasonable tourist prices make it a restuarant to visit on one of your Malecon walks.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

We ate upstairs and I was expecting to love this restaurant as it came highly recommended.

The decor upstairs is a little cold and clinical but the sea view as you eat makes up for it and we ate on the balcony.

I ordered a piña colada which had a very odd and unfortunate after taste and it is the first time in my life I have not been able to have more than two sips of a piña colada!

We ordered two starters - one was the fish fingers and the other some bruschetta.

The fish fingers were really good but the bruschetta came with a large HAIR on one of the slices. The server quickly took it away when it was pointed out and when he brought it back it was fairly obvious that the hair had been removed and the bruschetta returned to our table, this time with the melted cheese stiff and cold. I tried it nonetheless and the bread was soggy and the tomatoes over ripe. I also could not put the thought of the hair out of my mind.

We also ordered lobster tails which were ok but came on a plate with grey overcooked vegetables.

I took my son who was acting up somewhat to the bathroom and we could not use it as the toilets had no seats (admittedly common in Cuba) but also very dirty and there was no soap in the soap dispenser.

Considering the prices of the meals here I can find no excuse for a lack of hygiene both in the restrooms and in the kitchen.

There is also little to no atmosphere here and I think the positive experiences people have here are likely from downstairs as it actually makes a great pizza and looks like the type of place you might meet friends for a casual meal. Give upstairs a miss.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

I ate here as part of a conference dinner. We were up on the third floor, in air conditioning, and were able to watch the sunset. The food was very good, as was the service. I imagine if you go there on your own you will get the same treatment.

Reviewed 5 June 2018

As we were staying not far from it, and the choice of food in either restaurant (there are two, one on the ground floor and another one upstairs) we had our last diner there. We wanted to ensure the views while enjoying the atmosphere in the malecon, so we booked a table in the porch. I ate my octopus with escalivada! (not exactly like the Catalan one, but still very good) while watching, in the distance, the sun disappearing behind the National. Food was good; the daiquiri, decent. The service, very kind (my main came from upstairs!) and professional.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

We sat downstairs facing the sea... very nice view! Ordered a bottle of wine, a quarter-pig, mixed grill platter with some appetizers... everything was so delicious. I highly recommend this place.