“Good coffee, poor service”
Review of Cafe El Escorial

Cafe El Escorial
Ranked #3 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Havana
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 11 December 2017

Service staff speak English (which is a big plus in Cuba), but their service is poor. When I went there at 9:30am, they only had one food option; a cheese sandwich. the food was okay, but they had many kinds of coffee from espresso to americana. I had a cortado and was very good. On my way out, I bought a few 1lb bags of coffee to take home. I asked them to grind of the bags for my friend, but they said it would take a long time and didn't want to do it. I will go back to buy coffee but will not eat there next time.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

A lovely cafe in the plaza vieja with reasonably priced coffee. The atmosphere is unhurried and you can relax and people watch without hassle.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

We have been Cafe El Escorial a couple of times during our stay, They have a quite good coffee, however, the service was terrible.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

So coming from NYC, I am so used to having my coffee first thing in the AM (7am) and having it to go. The owner of the apartment I was staying at told me that I could get great coffee from Cafe El Escorial and I made sure to try it the next morning. I was disappointing only in the hours of operation and had to get used to the unhurried way that the waiters/waitresses take your order. LOL, it is a whole other world in Cuba and everything moves very slow and with a purposes. I brought back some cafe molido y tostado (toasted and ground coffee) to the states (mom is from Cuba), their coffee is fantastic, a must try. Go have a seat and watch the sights and sounds of La Habana Vieja at El Escorial, pretty sure you'll enjoy it.

1  Thank rmilagros
Reviewed 29 November 2017

I think this restaurant is so popular because of its location and the ladies who sit under the portico and tell fortunes. The coffee is good, but it is hard to find bad coffee in Cuba. The drinks were average and the service was pleasant if a bit slow.