“good coffee, very poor service.”
Review of Cafe El Escorial

Cafe El Escorial
Ranked #3 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Havana
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 8 December 2017

We have been Cafe El Escorial a couple of times during our stay, They have a quite good coffee, however, the service was terrible.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 4 December 2017

So coming from NYC, I am so used to having my coffee first thing in the AM (7am) and having it to go. The owner of the apartment I was staying at told me that I could get great coffee from Cafe El Escorial and I made sure to try it the next morning. I was disappointing only in the hours of operation and had to get used to the unhurried way that the waiters/waitresses take your order. LOL, it is a whole other world in Cuba and everything moves very slow and with a purposes. I brought back some cafe molido y tostado (toasted and ground coffee) to the states (mom is from Cuba), their coffee is fantastic, a must try. Go have a seat and watch the sights and sounds of La Habana Vieja at El Escorial, pretty sure you'll enjoy it.

1  Thank rmilagros
Reviewed 29 November 2017

I think this restaurant is so popular because of its location and the ladies who sit under the portico and tell fortunes. The coffee is good, but it is hard to find bad coffee in Cuba. The drinks were average and the service was pleasant if a bit slow.

Reviewed 26 November 2017

Unfortunately, the cafe next door Nueva Plaza was full. We only wanted a coffee so we came here as it was empty. It took a long time for the waiter who was sitting with friends to be bothered to get up and serve us. No wonder it was empty and everyone was next door!

Reviewed 25 November 2017

I bought 2 kilos of coffee to bring back to the USA. I should have brought back more. One more thing. You are legally allowed to bring back 100 Cuban cigars and one liter of rum. However, if you bring back more you may have to only pay a duty. I brought back 60 Cuban cigars and 5 liters of rum, two painting one for $300 and the other for $60. No duty and walked through customs without any issue.

1  Thank Bob K