“Second time back”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

This is my daughter’s favorite restaurant that she has ever tried so when we had a chance to revisit Bonaire we had to go and were still impressed. The French onion soup is amazing with a thick peppery stew like quality. A fantastic piece of bread and amazing cheese. I also recommend the shrimp flambé gnocchi as well as the beef tenderloin.

Reviewed 19 May 2018

Had planned to eat at least two meals here, based on past experience. Only ate here once. Seafood and burgers are good, but menu offered less "French" cooking and service was a little off.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Last year while on the island we ate here and it was nice. This year a complete 180. My daughter ordered the pork chop. The sauce tasted like the smell of an Asian grocery store. The potatoes were instant. Like butter buds. Gross. The other things on the plate were also disgusting. I hat the steak. Ok meat. Cheap line flow French fries. The food took forever to get to us. Wish it had never come. Do yourself a favor and stay far far away.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

We were here two years ago and it was wonderful. I had fond memories of the shrimp flambed with cognac. It was in a light tomato sauce and the gnocci were divine. There were dollops of bechemel which melted into the sauce as you were eating. This visit, I ordered the same thing....I didn’t see any trace of tomato sauce, the gnocci were too “loose” and the bechemel....if it was bechemel was congealed at the bottom of a sort of greyish/greenish sauce...very disappointing. My husband ordered the beef which was to come with mashed potatoes.....it came with French fries.he said the meal was “okay”. Dont think we will return.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

We were visiting Bonaire for a few hours on the Crown Princess cruise ship. We were looking online for somewhere serving lunch by the water and French Bistro sounded good to my ears and my stomach agreed.

Excellent location a cab ride from the port. A quiet marina on a lovely sunny day.
We had booked a table but there was no need. We like to dine outdoors and there were just two other tables there (out of maybe 6). Having arrived half an hour early to scope out the place we decided to eat. There was also a large enclosed dining room with 4 people eating (or waiting). We found a waitress and told her we had a reservation but wanted to eat now. No problem. Sit where you want. We sat right by the water. Nice view.

I now know why they are called waiters-we waited and waited for service-a menu, a drink order-taking. The couple at the table within my view were also waiting for dishes to be cleared. After 10 minutes the lone waiter made it to their table to pick up dishes and as she was passing I asked her for menus. When they came I asked her to take our drinks orders lest I never see her again. Within 5 minutes we had a bottle of beer and a club soda. We ordered food.

I had hoped to see my French Bistro go-to Steak Frites but alas no.

This review, and I am sure many others, would be more generous if not for the slow service but that's on the owner who must read these reviews or at least get a verbal complaint from diners. We didn't fault the food when it eventually arrived after 25 minutes or so after the beers. Wahu with good French fries and a nice fresh salad-clean plates and Yums but that's a simple dish and fish is a quick-cook. They could be good if they tried but they are on "island time" and excelling and making better money takes effort and that's at odds with "island time".

We didn't dare order dessert due to our low expectations of the delivery time and instead ate dessert back on our ship.

The owner, who was tending bar to a couple of people did order us a cab upon request so gets my thanks for that.

I loved the location and was happy with my food but that slow service is the owner's responsibility and he needs to fix it before he sees his business slow to a similar crawl.