See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Quiet and comfortable. We wished we had stayed longer. It was just too bad that we were only in transit. Now that we have found a cute plce to hang out.....So it is a must do for us. We slept very well in the cool rooms. The service was also very good.

Lyne Melia

Room Tip: For a family o four or two couples who just need to get away!!! We had the small apartment with two rooms....great hideout!!!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Betty B, Public Relations Manager at Shonlan Inn and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Thank you for reviewing our property.
For over four decades, we've been providing clean, affordable lodging to travellers, and we appreciate when our efforts are acknowledged.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

I overnighted in barbados on my way elsewhere. I stayed at the Shonlan, 5 minutes from the airport. I did not get in until midnight, but Debra was friendly and kind while showing me to my room. The place was clean, basic but still pretty, and quiet. I could not have asked for more, and would stay there again. For people who care, the water pressure is a bit low, and you have to run the water a bit to get it lukewarm, but I don't care about that when I am in the tropics and want to cool off anyway. It still was a warm shower. The bed was comfy, the room nicely decorated, and all in all the place is basic but perfect.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank DcMbb

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Our water is heated by solar means, and may need an electrical boost when the temperature drops from time to time. Had we realised, we would have been happy to oblige.
We pride ourselves on offering clean, affordable accommodation to travellers, and appreciate your taking the time to comment on our product.

Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

My flight was cancelled so instead of going back to my original hotel, I googled places close to airport, found a taxi driver and I decided to stay here since my flight was rescheduled for 3am the next morning . I should have just returned back to my original hotel which was 25 minute drive away , instead of this hotel which was 5 minutes away. I'll start by saying that the woman who operates this Inn is very nice and has a sweet spirit. She seems very motherly and kind. However, the room had a few issues. Now keep in mind, I wanted the convenience of being close to the airport because I had a super early flight so I probably paid $50 for the night....and I got what I paid for. The air conditioner wasn't working in the very tiny room, the bed was uncomfortable and the water in the bathroom did not work. The host explained that the water in that part of town was regulated and reserved during certain times of the day, so after already being frustrated that my flight was cancelled, I was even more frustrated that I couldn't take a shower to relieve my stinky skin. I had to wait 4 hours before the water came on!! On top of that, the air conditioner still never worked properly. I would normally fuss and demand better service but I honestly felt sorry for the lady who was more my senior so I didn't want to bother her. I locked myself in the room and just counted down for 3am. The way the inn is situated, there are several other rooms directly next to yours . So If I opened my door, I could have easily walked into someone else. I'm sure that this Inn is mixed with men and women, so I felt u comfortable leaving my room since I was a solo female traveler . I know that the property was really secure because the host locked up the two gates ... so if I wanted to leave the property (which is not a good idea because there is nothing close by, no restaurants or anything...just the airport), I would have needed to ask her permission to leave since she needed to personally unlock and lock the gate as I arrived/departed. Thankfully I just needed a place to stay until my flight . I feel bad for giving her such a low rating because she was so sweet and pleasant but the lack of AC and water regulation made me miserable. I think I was close to tears because I was so uncomfortable. I'd like to think that her business would do well in the future because I do not want to tarnish her business because she's such a pleasant woman. And I also know that you get what you pay for but I wasn't expecting this!

Side note: I felt veryyyyyyy weirded out with the taxi driver (I wish I could remember his name). He dropped me off to this hotel and said he was familiar with it. After hours later of no AC or running water , I called the taxi driver on the phone in hopes of him dropping me to another hotel. I got his number because we had arranged for him to pick me up for my 3am flight also. I complained to him about the AC problem and no water however, I didn't have enough cash for him to realistically drive me elsewhere (but I had my credit card which would have helped with booking another hotel ). Anyhow, I stayed at the this hotel and sweated it out until my flight (literally). When he arrived to pick me up at 1am (2 hours before my international flight .... even though the airport was only 5 minutes away lol...I think I was also just anxious to leave), I noticed that he was speaking to the hotel host. I got into the taxi but he stepped out to speak to her. I couldn't hear what he said to her and I didn't realize he knew her because when he dropped me off to the place, he didn't speak with her as if they knew each other. Anyhow, I think he may have mentioned the AC/no water matter on my behalf (I never asked him to do this because I didn't plan on complaining to the host. She seems so sweet and kind and I just wanted to leave). After a few seconds, I saw her hand him something but her facial expression didn't look happy. I think he forced her to give him the money for my hotel stay. In other words I think he robbed the lady right in my face but I was in the taxi and they were standing outside in the dark. I was a little afraid and just wanted to go. I honestly think he took the money for my stay from her. It was the weirdest and most uncomfortable thing. Something didn't seem right with the taxi driver or the exchange between the two of them. He got in the car and drove off taking me to the airport. I got a weird vibe that he robbed her. I didn't ask any questions because it's 1am in the morning and dark and I just wanted to get to the airport safely. Something didn't sit well with me. I'm pretty sure he robbed the lady. I felt so horrible knowing that that potentially happened. I wanted to call her and compensate her for that happening. She was really a nice woman and she didn't deserve that. I wish I could have reported the taxi driver because I'm pretty sure my eyes did not deceive me...

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Breanna B
Betty B, Public Relations Manager at Shonlan Inn and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2017

Thank you for your review.

It is a pity that you did not feel you could leave the safety of your room or use the telephone to let us know of your challenges. We do operate a facility with male and female guests - as most other properties do - but we have never had any issues because of this. There are also staff members on property, so there was no need to fear your fellow guests.

Again, let us apologise for the fact that you were without water for a part of your stay. Thankfully, it came on after four hours, and we trust you were able to take advantage of it then, before continuing your journey.

In relation to wanting to go to another hotel, we would have been happy to oblige, had you found another one. Just as you were given permission to leave when your taxi returned to collect you, it would have been granted.

Having not witnessed the exchange between the staff member and the taxi driver, we are not as sure as you are that she was robbed in front of your eyes. Thankfully, he was honest enough to deposit you back at the airport safely - particularly since you trusted him with your life right then.

We take our guests' comments seriously, and do our best to improve wherever possible.

Reviewed 13 November 2016

I often fly through Barbados to visit more remote Caribbean destinations and usually stay overnight at the Shonlan. While it is not luxury hotel, it is clean and within minutes to the airport. No other hotel in Barbados can make this claim. There is no restaurant on the premises or within walking distance; however the local KFC delivers. So don't expect too much, but if you need a clean hotel that's a short hop from the airport, this place fills the bill.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Betty B, Public Relations Manager at Shonlan Inn and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2016

Thank you for the recommendation, and for your patronage over the years. We do our best to provide safe, clean accommodation for our valued guests. We also have snacks and drinks on the property and are in the process of streamlining our meal offerings.

Reviewed 31 August 2016

My husband and I arrive at the Shonlan Hotel, and were welcome by the owner, Mr Reid. He was extremely nice, the hotel was clean, and we spend 2 week there. Transportation was near to travel to and from, easy to learn, and very helpful from the staff. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to travel to Barbados.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim B
Betty B, Public Relations Manager at Shonlan Inn and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review Shonlan Inn and Apartments.

We do our best to ensure that our guests have a comfortable and relaxing stay, and are always happy to have positive feedback.