We visited Royal Westmoreland 3 years ago staying in a royal villa which is a three bedroomed villa. This time we stayed on forest hills in a two bedroomed spacious villa. Some things have changed which I think reflects the fact that when we came before the RW was in the top five places to stay and now it's struggling to get in the top ten. Three years ago the housekeeper who looked after the villa washed and ironed your clothes so you had no washing to take back. Not that I need this service but if you have experienced this before and then it is no longer included then you feel somewhat disappointed. The sanctuary swimming pool and bar area was a little disappointing. Last time we visited the staff were very motivated. But they came across as apathetic this time. One guy sat in a small office making sure you were a member as you walked in but felt it was ok to just point at sun bed cushions and towels and leave you to it to sort out your umbrella etc. To put this in to context there were no more than 16 people around the pool so he was hardly rushed off his feet. If this resort is to continue marketing Itself as a five star holiday destination it has to address these issues . On a more positive note the RW is still a fabulous place to stay. Accommodation is first class. The grounds of the resort are impeccable. The plants and trees are perfectly manicured. The guest services and clubhouse staff are fantastic. Special mentions are Chris, Natalie, Karen and Pat. There is a shuttle bus to mullins beach where RW own a part of the beach bar. The sunbed service there is fabulous. There is also a spa at the beach with a fabulous small pool with a waterfall. If you come here to stay you have to remember it is not a hotel. Lots of people live here permanently. It's a world class golfing destination. It lacks atmosphere because of this. But if you want a quiet peaceful holiday with great views and good amenities I would have no hesitation in
recommending a stay here. You will however need a car.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Westmoreland is an exclusive Barbados estate and country club, a gated community of luxury homes and holiday villas with exceptional facilities, including the world-class Royal Westmoreland championship 18 hole golf course. Spread across 750 acres of lush tropical landscape in the Parish of St James overlooking the Platinum coast, Royal Westmoreland offers the ultimate Caribbean lifestyle, for a holiday or for a lifetime. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Royal Westmoreland Hotel Saint James
- Royal Westmoreland Saint James
- Royal Westmoreland Barbados/Saint James Parish