“Excellant - Just as we rememberd!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels

Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellant - Just as we rememberd!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2005

Crystal Cove, Barbados -
Date: 3-12November.

Having visited Crystal Cove in Oct 2001 with our 2 daughters,and had a fantastic holiday my husband and I were really worried about going back after reading some of the reviews, having wonderful memories of our previous holiday, we didn't know what to expect. Arriving at Crystal Cove in the evening we had a lovely welcome and were given fruit or rum punch, and shown to our room, the room was just as we remembered spacious, well decorated and spotless clean,not as some of the comments we'd read, I think the rooms are all being refurbished, but ours was the same decor as 2001 and it was still lovely. Air conditioning and a fan kept it lovely and cool, fresh towels and beach towels were left every day.
Food - The food was just as we'd remembered -lovely breakfasts, full English or continental,plenty selection, lunch was buffet at the Drifters Restaurant which has just been refurbished or you can have it served at the Reflections Restaurant.Plenty selection for all different tastes and prefrences. Evening meal had to be booked, which is best booked in the morning to get your specified time, the food again was excellent, lovely presented and always a good choice on the menu.Some comments said you didn't get much to eat but after 4 courses we were always satisfied, and my husband likes his food!!!!Some of the staff were a bit quiet, which is just thier reserved manner,try a smile and a chat with them then you'll see them differently.
My husband used the water sports every day, mostly watersking, I went out in the boat each time, the guys were really nice and very helpful for any of the activities not only for watersking but for fishing, jet skis, bananna boats,etc - all the equipment is brand new,and these water sports guys are newly contracted to the Crystal Cove.We went swimming with the Turtles this was a brilliant trip worth the money.
Our stay at Crystal Cove was the most relaxing holiday, its small and friendly, there's no nightlife just a band or different musicians each night to entertain you while you eat dinner, they stop about 11 every evening,this we liked because its quiet and peaceful.If you like a quiet, romantic, and relaxing holiday away from phones, business and the everyday hectic pace of life, we would HIGHLY recommend the Crystal Cove, we would certainly visit again!!

• Stayed November 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2005

I had researched a great deal before settling on Crystal Cove and had read many favorable reports and can only think these were written by people who don't get out much

If you have very low standards, enjoy poor service and awful food then this is the place for you!
Sweaty overweight English people who like scrambled egg & baked beans for breakfast are the target market

We were due to stay for 2 weeks and escaped after 1 night to the Coral Reef Club, a truly wonderful place that I can't recommend highly enough

When we left we were treated by the Elegant Hotels group ( i think a change of name may be required here ) as escapes from a prison camp

The only positive thing about this place was leaving it.....

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank lawrenceb
christchurch, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2005

Have just returned from the Crystal Cove in a party of 12 celebrating our Silver Wedding.Cannot believe the bad reports on this lovely Hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean and well decorated. The food was good, the service not so good but you do not go to Barbados for fast service, that is the beauty of this gorgeous Island. The choice at breakfast time was excellent. The Drifters bar was being refurbished whilst we were there and will look lovely upon completion.We were only able to have a couple of lunches there unfortunately before it was closed for refurbishment. There were various complaints regarding the water sports - the franchise changed whilst we were there, the staff fell over backwards to fit you in with all the sports available. All the equipment was brand new. The Cave Bar could do with more staff in the evenings. The beach is quite adequate and there was never a shortage of sun beds. We had our two grandchildren with us, the Kids Club was marvellous and baby sitting available at a very reasonable rate.We would definitely return to the Crystal Cove.

14 Thank 27050
Cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2005

We stayed at the Crystal Cove in July this year. Myself, husband and 2 friends. On the whole I found the standard of the Crystal Cove to be poor. The food was awful, especially the buffet lunches served in the beach bar. The staff that worked in the beach bar restaruant were incredibly rude. Out of the ten nights that we stayed there we only ate in the restaruant twice because it was so bad!

The pool was nice and clean and it was great having a bar that you could swim up to, however the quality and choice of the cocktails was poor. There was no cocktails list (we were told that they were working on it. I think this is the standard answer) and all the drinks were always served plastic glasses. It was also very difficult to get served in the evening as there was usually only one staff member serving.

We had problems trying to organise the watersports as there always seemed to be some sort of excuse as to why we could not go out. Usually this was becuase the rescue boat was not available as it was also used as the water taxi (which was also very elusive).

The beach itself was ok. The swimming area is roped off and was fairly small. The sun beds however were disgusting. They were very dirty and covered in bird mess. They did not get cleaned once whilst we were there.

On the positive side the staff on reception were very helpful and the rooms basic but clean.

This hotel is definately not a four star, a three at the very most!

• Stayed July 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank clare56568
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2005

Well just back from Beautiful Barbados and the not so beautiful Crystal Cove. This was our 5th time to Barbados last year we stayed at Turtle Beach one of the other Elegant Resort Hotels on the Island which was very good. How Virgin can call The Crystal Cove a four and a half star hotel is just a joke more like a three I would say.

Ok well it all went wrong for our airport pick up. I thought I would surprise my wife with a luxury pick up from Concierge Gold limo service I have booked a champagne and flowers pick up which had cost me just over a hundred pounds. The drive collected us but there were no flower or champagne in the car I was upset to say the least the driver said the flowers were at the hotel and the champagne would follow when we arrived it didn’t after three phone calls to the firm I got the champagne a day after our arrival. The company’s excuse was that they were very busy. I found this a very poor excuse so I have warned you.

The Crystal Cove Hotel

The Room
On arrival we were shown to our room for the two weeks we were staying . I had booked an ocean view room. The room was on the lower level on the beach number 120. The room was nice if basic the view was very nice and I was happy everything worked in the room. The only problem we had was the rather primitive security measure on the sliding doors to the balcony which consisted of a bar that ran across the whole length of the doors and was a real pain to keep opening. There was also a bad sewer smell when you went down to the room when it had been raining which thankfully only happened a few time during our stay. There was a problem with the maid service when you had people cheeking out of the hotel on three occassions our room had not been serviced before 4pm which was bad I thought.

The Beach and Pool

The beach was nice but the swimming area was limited to a 10 meter strip which had been segregated otherwise you were swimming at the risk off being hit by one of the jet ski’s or speed boats that patrol along the west coast like a pack of wolfs. We did get pestered for the first few days but a no thanks worked and we didn’t get pestered anymore mine you it do‘s help to be 6 foot 3 and 18 stone. We did get offered drugs which was bad considering the island has a low crime rate the police need to address this problem as this could scare off some people. The water sports were good but the staff were losing the contract so they didn’t put themselves out. Listening to other people around the pool they had been told a variety of excuses as to why different activities could not be done. The pools were one of the best point of the hotel not large but clean, the sun lounges were showing there age but were ok and there was a shortage of sun unbrellas on the beach.

The Bars

Beach Bar
The beach bar was manned from 9 am to around 5pm and served lunch drinks when lunch was served at the beach restaurant . This had a self serve soft drinks machine which meant you didn’t have to wait to be served, which was handy at busy times.
Cave Bar
This was manned from 10am to 11:45pm there is a swim up bar at the cave bar with around 6 seats. The bar was always very humid and at time very uncomfortable to sit in. I ask for a cocktail list and the answer I got was the management were still working on it, what a joke the hotel has been opened for 11 years. During the day drinks are served in plastic cups for safety around the pool but when you are sat at the bar you still get served in a plastic cup which I found very poor. None of the cocktails were dressed with garnishes or only whey the staff could be bothered . Most of the time there was only one staff working in the bar which meant a long wait most of the time in the evenings. The drinks brands are very limited not what I would have expected from a four and a half star hotel.

The Restaurant and food

This was a major let down for our stay. The restaurant was dirty with bird excrement on chairs and tables which put you of to start they were a pest at breakfast and lunch. The food itself was very poor . Breakfast was just your usual run of the mill nothing special. A buffet at lunch consisted of baked chicken flying fish or stew and burgers or hot dog with a variety of salads every day for the two weeks we stayed at the hotel with a variant on the odd occasion. When a salad had run out it was not replaced with a fresh one. The evening meal was either a buffet or from menu this was an attempt at trying to be a 4 and a half star hotel but it was very poor. After the first few nights we ate out of the hotel on most nights. Being on the west coast there are a good selection of restaurants.

Over all the service was average to poor during our stay at the hotel. My main point of complaint are during evening meal if you weren’t having wine you ended up waiting for your drink which most of the time never came. On one night I asked 3 times for a drink and in the end just went and got it myself. During our stay we were never asked if we had enjoyed our meal. I never saw any management at all during our stay there was a cocktail party on Mondays to meet the manager but it was a 6pm when most people are getting ready for the evening. Most of the time the staff just didn’t seem interested which was very poor and some of them had a bad attitude towards the guests.

Other Points
During our stay there was a lot of regeneration work going on at the hotel. Which when your relaxing at the pool you don’t want to listen to drilling or be ogled at by builders just another let down. There is also building work going on just down the coast from the hotel which you can hear going on during the day.

Over all the hotel is poor I will not be going back to The Crystal Cove. I read some of the posts before we went and thought it sounded great but for the money you pay it’s a rip off. When I got back I had a look at the prices Virgin were asking for peak season and had to laugh don’t go to this hotel you will be just as upset as myself you have been warned. I have stayed at a 3 star hotel on the island which had been far superior for quality and standards than this hotel.

Stayed October 2005
Beach View
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish
12.1 km away
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK