“Wonderful Afternoon Tea”

Chatters Tea Room
Ranked #34 of 143 Restaurants in Bridgetown
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional English Afternoon Tea Room N.b. Located at Bagatelle Great House. ..Hwy. 2 A..north of Warrens, St. Thomas.
Reviewed 3 February 2015

My friends and I spent a delightful afternoon having full tea on the verandah at Chatters Tea Room which is located in Bagatelle (not Bridgetown) on the former estate of Lord Willoughby. The view overlooked the gardens which were lovely. It took about 30 minutes from our condo on Dover Beach to get there.
First we each selected our own tea - didn't bother me that it was from a box of tea bags as I am not a purist when it comes to tea. They also served wines as well.
The first course was a 3 tier tray of savouries - quiche, two kinds of tea sandwiches and two kinds of mini wraps. Everything was fresh and very tasty. After we had time to digest these, our server brought the pastries which included pecan tarts, cherry cheesecake, carrot cake and chocolate cake. They were all very good but I have to say we took most of them home with us. The final course was a scone with cream and strawberries. It was not true clotted cream but appeared to be fresh whipped cream (had a slight lemon taste). It was like having strawberry shortcake to me which I really like rather than scones with clotted tea and jam.
We all thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon at Chatters. The service was well paced and unobtrusive and the food was excellent quality. It was delightful!!

1  Thank sara_jw

Reviewed 6 December 2014

My brother and I visited Chatters Tearooms for the first time this afternoon. It will certainly not be our last visit! It is to be highly recommended.

We had booked full afternoon tea on line before leaving England. The cost is at present 40 Barbadian dollars ( 20 US dollars ) which is a very reasonable price for Barbados. I frequently go out for afternoon tea and so pride myself on recognising a good one. This was excellent!

We ate outside on the verandah overlooking the lovely gardens. There was a pleasant breeze. The table cloth and napkins were linen, the plates and cups were china and the presentation of all the food was delightful. We had a choice of teas from a large selection of Twinings and could have had as many pots as we wanted. We started with a selection of delicious sandwiches, wraps and quiche. To follow was a lovely variety of cakes and pastries and finally there was a warm scone, strawberry and cream.

The staff were absolutely delightful and our waitress, Rhonda, was a very personable young lady with a lovely smile and manner. She very kindly telephoned for a taxi for us afterwards to take us back to Holetown ( 20 Barbadian for interest)

Chatters Tearoom is part of Bagatelle Great House which was built in 1645 and was a former plantation house and the home of The Governor of Barbados. It has history and style and it was interesting to look round it and saunter through the gardens.

If, therefore, you are looking for a delicious, sensibly priced afternoon tea in lovely surroundings, served by the nicest of staff, make sure you head for Chatter's Tea Room in Bagatelle House. One of the nicest afternoon teas I have had........and my goodness, I have partaken of a few!

5  Thank appleblossom81
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Chatter Tea Room was such a refreshing getaway for my best friends and I we just couldn't leave even at closing hours. The ambiance was so tranquil and the service was so friendly. There were historic artifacts and photographs that give you an experience of nostalgia. Cheers!! to this place of great memories.

1  Thank Harriet B
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We enjoyed a delightful, quiet afternoon tea at Chatters Tea Room, located on the grounds of Bagatelle Great House in St. Thomas. The gardens are beautiful as is the architecture of the great house which dates back to the 17th century. We had the full afternoon tea and it didn't disappoint, the food was plentiful! Quiche, cucumber sandwiches, mini wraps, warm scones, Earl Grey tea, carrot cake and more. A pleasant addition were the Bajan fish cakes - which added a nice Barbadian touch to a traditional English tea. The staff were very friendly, attentive and efficient and really made the experience extra special. I hope to return with my mother for Mother's Day. But Chatters is also perfect for friends and family, or couples looking for a quiet, romantic setting.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Just a lovely setting with very friendly and efficient staff serving a delightful tea. Serene experience. Please go as they deserve our support!

3  Thank adrien62